The best and the worst of the gifts!

Quicken Jasmine
Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
edited January 2023 in The Water Cooler
Hello Everyone, 

With Christmas right around the corner, I figured we could kick off this month's Icebreaker by sharing the worst gift that we have ever received and then follow it up with the best! 

I would say the worst gift that I ever received would have to of been socks. I mean, cmon, you're gonna give me socks for Christmas??? Like that would not suffice as a necessity any other time of the year?! 

The best gift that I ever received would probably have to be my little baby girl, she was born just shy of a week after Christmas. A little late, but the best things are never on time! 

I can't wait to hear yours!

Merry Christmas to all the Quicken Family! :blush:

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited December 2022
    You're joking! I LOVEEE getting socks cause they're usually the fuzzy Christmas-themed socks! Also, I lose my socks constantly since my kids grew to the same shoe size as me (and since getting married lol). :neutral:

I can't recall ever receiving a gift I didn't like though. Even the smallest of things bring me excitement. Christmas is my favorite holiday though so that probably has something to do with it. :wink:

The best Christmas gift I ever received is honestly the whistle my husband gave me Christmas of 2017. Yes, a whistle.

A little backstory: The day after Christmas of 2016 my grandfather in the Philippines passed away, and I didn't get to say goodbye as the cost to travel there last minute was way out of budget. While talking with my husband about fond memories of my grandfather and looking through pictures, I pointed out the whistle he always carried on a red string around his neck and explained to my husband that he used that whistle to catch someone's attention because he always said he hated loud voices/noises which always made us all laugh as the whistle was much louder than his voice could ever be. My husband remembered this story and gave me a whistle on a red string for Christmas 2017.

Long story short; my favorite gifts will always be those that carry sentimental value and this whistle certainly always will. :heart:

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Hello everyone!

Nice to be, once again, entering the festive Holiday season. I hope everyone has a great time this year!

Socks could be rough, indeed. On a related note: clothes that don't fit. I remember getting pajamas that didn't fit ages ago. It's the thought that counts, though. 

The best gift I ever received was probably the PC version of the Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Real-Time Strategy game I received for my 17th Birthday, ages ago. I was really grateful to my parents because I very much did not expect it, and it was kind of pricey back then, if I recall. It was probably one of the last RTS games I really enjoyed and I definitely recommend it for anyone that might be interested.

A close second would probably be the Deftones' White Pony record, which is still probably one of the hardest-hitting releases I've ever heard. I think I received this around the same time; I still play that album every December.

I'm excited to hear about everyone else's least and most favorite gifts, so definitely let us know which ones you remember, if you have the chance!

Best wishes,

-Quicken Jared 

• gregneg
    gregneg Mac Beta Beta
      One particular Christmas, when we had no discretionary funds (engine blew up, roof leaked, washing machine and water heater broke down), we decided our gifts would be personal home-made and coupons.
       We had portraits drawn, poems written, coupons for staying up late, doing someone else's chores, choosing the menu, voiding bedtime, picking the movie/tv show, doing the dishes, and more.

There was one coupon that was counterfeited and used way too many times --- it was the "No SDL, Free" ( SDL = Standard Daddy Lecture)

27" iMac 5K OS Ventura Quicken user since it was just a check register.

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    My worst Christmas gift was a suitcase for my 18th Birthday. A suitcase? Really? I never traveled so why would I need a suitcase? Always wondered if it was a hint to move out of my parent's home. My favorite gift was a daughter born on December 2nd. Yes, it was early but she was our first child and it was fun at Christmas time.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am going to focus on tangible gifts only.
    The worst was a cheap car vacuum given by my in-laws.  Our cars are always clean and we have no pets.  We never used it and gave it away as a white elephant gift.
    The best one, also given to me by my in-laws was a rotary tool set.  It is something I use all the time to fix and MacGyver things with.  It finally broke after many years of great use and I received another one last year.
    Now, a one year membership to the Jelly of the Month Club that Clark Griswold received could be a debatable one.  "Clark, that's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year"!
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• rdrowatzky
    rdrowatzky Member
    edited December 2022
    [Removed - Off Topic]
  • rdrowatzky
    rdrowatzky Member
    edited December 2022
    [Removed - Off Topic]
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    The best gift is I received is that of forgiveness. After all, what is this season all about?

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
    Because He has anointed Me
    To preach good news to the poor;
    He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
    To proclaim liberty to the captives
    And recovery of sight to the blind,
    To set at liberty those who are oppressed;
    To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”

“Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid"

The worst gift I received is the lack of contentment or appreciation. Isn't it so easy to find reason to complain or not be happy about a person, situation, or a even a gift we receive?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    My best Christmas gift ever was five years ago.  My grandson, who was less than 2 months old at the time, was hospitalized suddenly due to breathing problems.  It was very traumatic for his parents and us but thankfully, he recovered' and was released, a few days before Christmas.

The worst gift I ever got was an orange with green stripes sweater I got from a high school girlfriend.  Ugly - you bet!  To this day I think it has to be a re-gift that her brother had received.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    About  50 years ago, when my youngest brother was 10 or so, there was a QUITE heavy box under the Xmas tree with a tag indicating that it was for that brother and from my wife and I.
    He picked up that box, multiple times before the opening on Xmas day.  He couldn't figure out what was ... but he was very excited about it and anxious during the wait until Xmas morning.
    When it was finally time to open gifts, he naturally opened that box first ... and was MIGHTILY disappointed to find inside a cinder block with the word 'COUPON' stenciled across it.
    He was crying, or pretty close to crying, when our Mother told him to see if there was anything else in the box.
    At the bottom, under some wrapping paper was a Xmas card with the following message inside:
    "This coupon valid for 1 ski trip with Dan and Linda."

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• KatF
    KatF Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
    Best - a Siamese kitten in a wrapped box that appeared under the tree sometime very early Christmas morning. I was 8 years old. I never did figure out how they kept that very vocal cat hidden before that morning. Worst - Nothing - Sitting home alone with nothing for Christmas is a killer.