Unable to Import downloaded Chase QFX file (QMac)

Options
ecknj01
ecknj01 Member

I am on MAC, I ave been downloading QFX files and importing into my Quicken software for 20 years. As of 10/2/2023 I can import 4 savings/checking account QFX files, however my Credit Card file gives me the error above. Chase bank.

The bank tells me it is a Quicken issue and Quicken tells me it is Chase issue. Neither party has a solution. I need help.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @ecknj01,

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you described receiving? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments. Please remember to redact any personal information as needed. 

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• ecknj01
    ecknj01 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
  • ecknj01
    ecknj01 Member
    Options

I do have a copy of the file I downloaded as well, let me know if you need that. thanks for any help you can give me.

• Robert Ford
    Options

I'm having exactly the same problem.

• George M.
    George M. Member
    Options

I am also having the same issue. All accounts at Chase can be downloaded and opened except for the credit card file. The bank had me clear cookies and disconnect and reconnect to Chase. No help.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

This is a known issue that has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA on resolution at this time. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates and information.

We apologize for any incovenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Herbie O
    Herbie O Member
    Options

I have the same issue since last weekend. Is this a problem with some updates to the Quicken app? If so, how can we revert to an older version to get this to work again.

I was just in a call with a Chase support person and it was quite frustrating because it works on my checking account but not for the credit card accounts, and the Chase support person said it is a Quicken issue, and they are not liable for the problem. They claim that they do not really support downloading QFX files even though clearly their website does have the option and I'm able to download.

• Herbie O
    Herbie O Member
    Options

This is getting annoying. The longer it takes to get a solution, the farther off my current journal is from the real transactions that I may as well just manually enter them. I have been using Quicken for a long time even before it was subscription based. The only reason that I continue on with subscription is being able to read QFX files. I do not use web connect. Sadly, if I can't even import QFX files that I manually downloaded, then I don't see a point in continuing with the subscription.

Please escalate this issue, it's been more than 3 weeks now. Thanks.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please escalate this issue, it's been more than 3 weeks now. Thanks.

@Herbie O did you read the Community Alert that @Quicken Anja posted a link to above?

The problem has been escalated long ago, for all that will do, Quicken Inc can't force Chase to fix what they broke in generating the QFX file on their site.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • PGee
    PGee Member
    Options

I also have this issue! QFX files for my Chase credit card will not open, get message that says "contact your financial institution". Please resolve!

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I also have this issue! QFX files for my Chase credit card will not open, get message that says "contact your financial institution". Please resolve!

@PGee You posted here in a Quicken user forum, but did you do what the error message suggested, which is to contact Chase? As has been written above, Quicken can't fix what Chase broke in their QFX export, so you and other Chase customers should be putting pressure on technical support at Chase to get the issue resolved.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • richwilliams
    Options

I'm also on a Mac using a Quicken Classic Deluxe subscription. Downloading a Chase QFX file and the importing it into Quicken now gets an Unable to read file error. It worked fine a few weeks ago.

I compared a failing QFX file with an old one that worked last May (and still works). The account number is missing in the bad file. The old file that worked has:

<CCACCTFROM>
    <ACCTID>################
    </CCACCTFROM>

Where ################ is my chase account number. The file that gets the unable to read error only has:

<CCACCTFROM>
    </CCACCTFROM>

I added the missing line using TextEdit and the file imported successfully into Quicken. This looks like a Chase problem unless Quicken has changed the spec for the QFX file.

Quicken Classic Deluxe Version 7.3.2 (Build 703.50456.100) macOS 11.7.10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken can't change the spec. The actual spec is the OFX standard.

And I would watch out for duplicates or missing transactions. Quicken Mac might handle this better, but as reported in the Quicken Windows threads the account id isn't the only thing Chase messed up in the QFX file. There is the FITID for ever transaction. In Quicken this is called the Downloaded ID (at least in Quicken Windows) and is use for detecting if they have already downloaded this transaction. In the Chase QFX file they have set all of these to zero.

Signature:
  • richwilliams
    Options

Good to know. Thanks!

• Duane T
    Duane T Member
    Options

Having the same issue. It worked great until I upgraded to the newest version on my Mac and now I wish I could go back to the older version. I'll keep an eye on the updates but hopefully this gets fixed soon. It is on all of my credit cards, not just Chase.

Thank you,

Duane

• delyee
    delyee Member
    Options

I am also having the same problem. How can we download an previous version of quicken for mac.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@delyee You can download previous versions of Quicken Mac from here but that won't solve your problem.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• BTTRKDLR
    BTTRKDLR Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Chase Bank Credit Card File will not download. Why?

[Merged Post]

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Because Chase has messed up the Web Connect/QFX file:

[Merged Post]

Signature:
  • duderama
    duderama Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue here, was working fine for years until upgrading to Quicken Classic for Mac, now can't import QFX files from Chase credit cards.

• duderama
    duderama Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks @richwilliams - your solution worked for me. I recall a similar problem happening a few years back with a similar solution (may have been the exact same problem / solution - I can't remember). Still, we need the issue fixed, this is a pain.

• jacobs
    Options

As this thread details, the problem is because of a mistake at Chase in the way they are exporting transactions. Quicken can't fix this; Chase needs to.

310278 Member
    Options

Same problem when will this be resolved?

• jacobs
    Options

As this thread details, the problem is because of a mistake at Chase in the way they are exporting transactions. Quicken can't fix this; Chase needs to. You should be calling Chase technical support.

• JoannaRed'sfavorite
    Options

Any update on the Chase credit card download problem? Has anyone come up with a work around solution?

• JoannaRed'sfavorite
    Options

I just talked to a support person at chase and she said that the 'back office' at Chase is working on the problem and to try to do another download-import in 24-48 hours….we'll see……

• gjgoods
    gjgoods Member
    Options

We have 3 Chase cards 2 personal and 1 business. One of the personal cards downloaded correctly. The other 2 cards, the QFX file could not be opened. I contacted Chase tech support today and was told this is a Quicken problem. Quicken says is a Chase problem. If not resolved does anyone have a work around other then manually loading each individual transaction?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@gjgoods said:

If not resolved does anyone have a work around other then manually loading each individual transaction?

Import using Quicken Connect instead of downloading/importing the QFX file.

Signature:
  • gjgoods
    gjgoods Member
    Options

it appears that quicken classic deluxe (mac) will download mint csv files. Has anybody tried importing Chase credit card transactions into mint then into quicken? Seems very bulky and I'm not the most computer literate so just wondering if anyone has tried this and if it works

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For what it is worth, in one of the Windows threads it has been reported that Chase has at least fixed the FITIDs. So, it is only the account id that needs to be fixed up to be able to import the current QFX files.

Looking at mine what I see is the QFX file from my checking account is correct, and the one from my credit card is as that thread suggested the FITIDs are now filled in, but the ACCTID is missing.

Example of it missing in the credit card QFX file:

<CCACCTFROM>
    </CCACCTFROM>

The correct one (with my account number hidden):

<CCACCTFROM>
    <ACCTID>5—————————6
    </CCACCTFROM>

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.