Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 Released

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

Hi Norm,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having purchasing Quicken 2017. Are you trying to purchase the US version of Quicken or the Canadian version of Quicken. The Canadian version will not be available for another month or so.

Dave

@Quicken Dave,
    There's no such thing as a Canadian version of Quicken for Mac 2017. Nor Quicken for Mac 2016. Nor Quicken for Mac 2007.  Quicken did away with Canadian versions years ago. Quicken for Mac isn't listed at www.quicken.ca and can't be purchased there.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2016

I've purchased QMac 2017 at the reduced price - thank you - but haven't installed it yet.  Want to make sure I've got backups of QMac 2016 and its database backups on TimeMachine first.  Will Quicken Mac 2016 continue to work including investment & bank transaction downloads?

Spend the money wisely!

I was able to get the upgrade pop-up to reappear in Quicken 2016 by doing the following:
    1. Exit Quicken.
    2. In the Finder, navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Quicken 2016/Downloads
    3. Delete the Notifications.plist file.
    4. Restart Quicken.
    5. In Quicken, select "Check For Updates..." in the Quicken menu.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Harold-Jr said:

I have been using Quicken for Windows for 20 years.  I decided I wanted to try QMac 2017. As the windows files were carried into Mac there were some fleeting instructions about what needed to be disabled in Windows, repeating transactions or scheduled transactions.  Where are those instructions posted?  I am hoping it is feasible to run both simultaneously with a few modifications, like auto in one but not in the other, to see if I want to make the move.

@Harold-Jr You like the interface because it matches the Windows version look, so it is familiar. BUT it is decidedly un-Mac Like and unfriendly to this environment and the expectations that Mac users have and have learned to appreciate. 

As you have discovered, QM2017 still has a lot of features lacking, especially compared to QWin. BUT you can add your vote for the many features that you have mentioned, here: Be sure to click on EACH link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    opt said:

Was hoping that 2017 would be the year for budgets with account selection options. How about it?

@Fernando see my reply in your other post here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/categorization-of-a-linked-transfer-stop-work-in...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Quicken Marcus, are there plans to Automate the Scheduled Transactions (like in QM 2007)?

Ah ok. So you are talking about a Bill Pay related feature. Thanks for clarifying.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

There hasn't been a Canadian Version of Quicken Mac in years. I don't believe there will be one for 2017 either.

Correct. But QM2017 does support downloading data from several Canadian FI/Banks. The current problem is that for QM2017 there seems to be a block from buying it by Canadian users EVERYWHERE, including Amazon.com. This was not the case with QM2016 or QM2015. This needs to be sorted out.

• Surklyn
    Surklyn Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Can we get the Tab view that OS X Sierra implemented to work in Quicken?  Nothing more annoying than having 5 separate full screen windows open on a 13" screen.  Quicken wants to open a new screen for every report, for every contextual search (i.e mousing over a budget and viewing the transactions).   The window management is crazy.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Where do I enter the USERNAME at?  Can't log into my loan account because there is no USERNAME field. Cmon' quicken! image
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Q2017 is a definite improvement over previous Mac versions and brings me closer to being able to transition from being a long standing Quicken for Windows user, but there are still some differences/deficiencies that make such a transition difficult.

1) There appears to be no means of establishing and tracking savings goals which is a crucial function in any personal finance software. There is no stand alone savings goal function. An obvious workaround would be to set a category for transfers to savings/brokerage accounts to be able to set and track savings goals in a budget. However, transfers do not appear in category views and thus are not picked up in category related reports or budgets. The Quicken Help file indicates that categories can be assigned to transfers for rare cases where one wants to track them in reports and budgets (as income or expense) but in fact changing the category does not move the transaction to a dedicated category or allow it to appear in budgets. The newly created category exists, can be seen in a budget, but none of the transfer transactions assigned to that category appear in either reports or budgets. The balance is always zero regardless of how many transactions are assigned to that category. Please fix this category view problem in the short term, and add a savings goal creation and tracking function in the future.

2) Calendar view is very difficult to glean information from at a glance. Some very basic visual improvements to the calendar view would make this much more useful and more in line with the Windows versions. There is no color or shading distinction between income and expense transactions and one must squint and look at each transaction in each day of the months for the little "-" sign as the only visual distinction between income and expense transactions. Folks, that is just plain silly and something that is handled well in the Windows versions (income is green, expense is yellow). Please add clear color coding for income versus expense transactions.

3) Similarly to the income and expense transactions in calendar view, there is no clear visual distinction between scheduled and entered transactions on the calendar view except the tiny clock symbol that again has to be searched for day-by-day instead of being able to glance at the calendar and know what needs attention. The Windows version leaves the scheduled transactions colored (income is green and expense is yellow) and thus visually obvious that action of some sort is required for those transactions. The entered transactions are just greyscale. Please add a clear visual distinction between scheduled and entered transactions. 

4) The calendar view contains very useful balance information, especially if you limit the accounts in the calendar view to things like checking or savings accounts in which you want to track the balances and quickly see if you have the room for more spending or saving at any given point in time now or in the future. Quicken for Windows gives a very helpful and visually obvious daily bar graph at the bottom of the calendar view so that one can see the low point of balances in a given month quickly and clearly. The Mac version calendar requires that you look at the balance figure at the bottom of each day to try to find the low point in any given period which frankly is easily missed.  The only other means of discerning this information is to leave the calendar view entirely and look in the "Bills" tab and set up a graph. This really defeats the purpose of having the calendar. Please add a clear bar graph for balances similar to that for the Windows versions.

5) Transaction downloading for various accounts seems to be far more limited than the Windows versions as major credit card companies I have been downloading for years in Quicken for Windows are manual updates for the Mac. Notably missing is Discover Card and many other credit card and loan companies. If Mint and Personal Capital can do it as free services, surely Quicken could.

I appreciate all the work that is going into trying to make the Mac version of Quicken more comparable to the Windows versions and the new ownership/management of Quicken are obviously trying hard to make this happen where Intuit had all but ignored the matter. I am grateful for this. As a decades long user of Quicken for Windows I have tried many times to migrate to the Mac version so that I can quit running Windows as a virtual machine on my Macs. Every Mac Quicken version to date has been so lacking in features that have long been standard in the Windows versions as to make them deal breakers. I am trying again with Q2017 for Mac and it is indeed much better. But there is a long way to go before it compares to the functionality of the Windows versions. Please keep plugging away on this folks, there are a lot of Mac users out there and the numbers are growing.

Thank you!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    DougM said:

Q2017 is a definite improvement over previous Mac versions and brings me closer to being able to transition from being a long standing Quicken for Windows user, but there are still some differences/deficiencies that make such a transition difficult.

1) There appears to be no means of establishing and tracking savings goals which is a crucial function in any personal finance software. There is no stand alone savings goal function. An obvious workaround would be to set a category for transfers to savings/brokerage accounts to be able to set and track savings goals in a budget. However, transfers do not appear in category views and thus are not picked up in category related reports or budgets. The Quicken Help file indicates that categories can be assigned to transfers for rare cases where one wants to track them in reports and budgets (as income or expense) but in fact changing the category does not move the transaction to a dedicated category or allow it to appear in budgets. The newly created category exists, can be seen in a budget, but none of the transfer transactions assigned to that category appear in either reports or budgets. The balance is always zero regardless of how many transactions are assigned to that category. Please fix this category view problem in the short term, and add a savings goal creation and tracking function in the future.

2) Calendar view is very difficult to glean information from at a glance. Some very basic visual improvements to the calendar view would make this much more useful and more in line with the Windows versions. There is no color or shading distinction between income and expense transactions and one must squint and look at each transaction in each day of the months for the little "-" sign as the only visual distinction between income and expense transactions. Folks, that is just plain silly and something that is handled well in the Windows versions (income is green, expense is yellow). Please add clear color coding for income versus expense transactions.

3) Similarly to the income and expense transactions in calendar view, there is no clear visual distinction between scheduled and entered transactions on the calendar view except the tiny clock symbol that again has to be searched for day-by-day instead of being able to glance at the calendar and know what needs attention. The Windows version leaves the scheduled transactions colored (income is green and expense is yellow) and thus visually obvious that action of some sort is required for those transactions. The entered transactions are just greyscale. Please add a clear visual distinction between scheduled and entered transactions. 

4) The calendar view contains very useful balance information, especially if you limit the accounts in the calendar view to things like checking or savings accounts in which you want to track the balances and quickly see if you have the room for more spending or saving at any given point in time now or in the future. Quicken for Windows gives a very helpful and visually obvious daily bar graph at the bottom of the calendar view so that one can see the low point of balances in a given month quickly and clearly. The Mac version calendar requires that you look at the balance figure at the bottom of each day to try to find the low point in any given period which frankly is easily missed.  The only other means of discerning this information is to leave the calendar view entirely and look in the "Bills" tab and set up a graph. This really defeats the purpose of having the calendar. Please add a clear bar graph for balances similar to that for the Windows versions.

5) Transaction downloading for various accounts seems to be far more limited than the Windows versions as major credit card companies I have been downloading for years in Quicken for Windows are manual updates for the Mac. Notably missing is Discover Card and many other credit card and loan companies. If Mint and Personal Capital can do it as free services, surely Quicken could.

I appreciate all the work that is going into trying to make the Mac version of Quicken more comparable to the Windows versions and the new ownership/management of Quicken are obviously trying hard to make this happen where Intuit had all but ignored the matter. I am grateful for this. As a decades long user of Quicken for Windows I have tried many times to migrate to the Mac version so that I can quit running Windows as a virtual machine on my Macs. Every Mac Quicken version to date has been so lacking in features that have long been standard in the Windows versions as to make them deal breakers. I am trying again with Q2017 for Mac and it is indeed much better. But there is a long way to go before it compares to the functionality of the Windows versions. Please keep plugging away on this folks, there are a lot of Mac users out there and the numbers are growing.

Thank you!

I was a Quicken for DOS user in the early 90's and have migrated through the years to QW until QW2015.   I have tried the various Mac versions but threw up and gave up on each of them.    QM2017 is the first one that has come close.   Two immediate things are obvious problems - the first one is online download of transactions is significantly slower than the windows version.    I've got three data points:
    1) QW2015 - 2min
    2) QM2017 - Imported Everything - 7min
    3) QM2017 - new file, manually create each account - 3.5min

Further - not being able to see which accounts have new transactions is a deal-breaker for me.   

So close yet so far....
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    DougM said:

Thank you!

And the software knows where/when there are new transactions because it flags them if you look at a transaction list in an account that has new transactions. Easy change to put a flag on any account with new transactions.
  • Relberfeld
    Relberfeld Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

On the Quicken web site I can only purchase with a US address (I'm in Canada).

this is a terrible release.  sync errors all over.  no response from support. QCS-0400-8 error ?  what the heck is that ?  unreal.  what a disaster
  • Relberfeld
    Relberfeld Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Drew said:

Having a couple issues with 2017 so far:

1.  As with 2016, I'm backing up my 2017 files (using "Save a Backup) to my iCloud drive.  I'm finding that in contrast to 2016, which would back up and sync in a minute or two (1.2GB file), the 2017 files is taking at least 15 minutes to backup and sync.  I tried one right after the other, and the behavior of the 2017 file is problematic.  I've tried on two different fast internet connections with no change.

2.  The 2017 file backup has a blank white icon.

That's it for now.

horrible product, crappy user interface, I have used this product for 20+ years and it gets worse.  I removed the 2017 product on my MAC after I got tons of sync errors for no reason and error codes that are not documented.  don't bother upgrading.  it is a waste of time and money. 
  • Harold-Jr
    Harold-Jr Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Quicken Marcus, are there plans to Automate the Scheduled Transactions (like in QM 2007)?

Or is he talking about auto payments like QW when you know a fixed amount is going to be taken out of an account on the same day each month/quarter and that transaction is initiated into the register on the specified date to be reconciled when the payment posts?
  • Relberfeld
    Relberfeld Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Bo said:

Thanks everyone for their comparisons to QM2007.  I too am a QM2007 holdout but want to try 2017.  Keep the comments coming.  I mostly want to keep the Portfolio and Investment capabilities, as well as, custom reports from QM2007.  I suppose I could just download it and do the side-by-side too and "refund" it < 60 days.  Thanks for everyone's insight!

good luck.  the portfolio part was broken in 2017 mac release. lots of sync errors.  i would hold off until they fix it (might be years at the rate they go)
  • Relberfeld
    Relberfeld Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    megnmac said:

I have used a Mac for more than 20 years, and Quicken for Mac almost that long. Why would I want it to look like Windows? I am now using Quicken for Mac 2016.  What new features would make an upgrade worth the money? As others have noted, I am also maintaining 2007.

the mac version is so bad it is not worth even using.  no investment has been made bringing in even basic capabilities.  unreal how they have broken this product.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    megnmac said:

I have used a Mac for more than 20 years, and Quicken for Mac almost that long. Why would I want it to look like Windows? I am now using Quicken for Mac 2016.  What new features would make an upgrade worth the money? As others have noted, I am also maintaining 2007.

Good thing they offer 60 day return policy
  • Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I just want to give some praise. I REALLY like the new Quicken Mac 2017! I just found the new comparison reports. They are great, and I look forward to more reporting options in the future! I've used Quicken since the mid 90s. I upgraded from Quicken Mac 2016 but prior to that I used windows versions for many years and Mac before that. I had finally given up completely on Quicken in the fall of 2015 while using Quicken 2015 Rental Property windows version because of so many glitches and constant troubleshooting. And then Intuit sold Quicken, and I decided to try again with Quicken Mac 2016 and now Quicken Mac 2017. Kudos! My old very LARGE data file is once again useful! Thanks.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

Definitely Bill Pay through Direct Connect with my bank.
  • Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    DougM said:

Thank you!

Try clicking on All transactions at the top of the left sidebar, then on the transactions tab, and then filter by "Not Reviewed". Sort those transaction by account. It works nicely. 
  • David Argust
    David Argust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I just upgrade top QM 2017 from QW 2016.  The import seemed to go well after a little clean up.  But I am having some problems with download to my accounts.   Although it does seem to be downloading everything so far in continues to try to get me to add additional accounts.  The problem is these accounts have already been added.  For example I have 4 accounts with Schwab.  They have all been updated.  The account list in the Windows menu item indicates all is well.  However every time I sync I get multiple windows showing those 4 accounts by number with options to add,  link or ignore.  Of course the link option only shows accounts that have not already been linked, not these.  Strangely this window appears 4 times during the sync process.  If I ignore, next time it does the same thing.  I did try adding one, but then I have two copies of that account.  When I delete the added new duplicate, it try to get me to add it again.   

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

On the Quicken web site I can only purchase with a US address (I'm in Canada).

Relberfeld, this site is not an official support forum. If you post about a problem here, other users may (or may not) be able to help, but Quicken Support reps aren't monitoring all the posts to provide one-on-one support. For that, you need to actually contact Quicken Support, either by phone (Monday-Friday 12 hours a day) or via online chat (available 24x7). They do this because many problems do require one-on-one communication with the customer, because there are so many variables in set-up and use from one person to another.

I don't have a clue what that error message means, but I know there aren't a bunch of people posting about it, so it isn't some widespread bug making this a terrible release. There's something with your setup or financial institutions encountering a problem. Quicken Support should be able to help with that: https://www.quicken.com/support and scroll to the bottom.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Drew said:

Having a couple issues with 2017 so far:

1.  As with 2016, I'm backing up my 2017 files (using "Save a Backup) to my iCloud drive.  I'm finding that in contrast to 2016, which would back up and sync in a minute or two (1.2GB file), the 2017 files is taking at least 15 minutes to backup and sync.  I tried one right after the other, and the behavior of the 2017 file is problematic.  I've tried on two different fast internet connections with no change.

2.  The 2017 file backup has a blank white icon.

That's it for now.

Relberfeld, I understand you're frustrated because you're getting an error you've posted about in several other threads. Since I haven't seen other users posting about the same problem you're encountering, I think your generalizations are off-base. There's something causing you not to be able to sync your accounts, but others aren't reporting the same problem, and your specific problem doesn't mean this is a "horrible product" others shouldn't purchase or use. As I recommended in the other threads, these types of individual problems can be addressed by contacting Quicken Support for either phone or chat support.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Surklyn said:

Can we get the Tab view that OS X Sierra implemented to work in Quicken?  Nothing more annoying than having 5 separate full screen windows open on a 13" screen.  Quicken wants to open a new screen for every report, for every contextual search (i.e mousing over a budget and viewing the transactions).   The window management is crazy.

Surklyn, Quicken hasn't been reprogrammed to take advantage of the tabbed interface available in macOS Sierra yet.

But I'm confused that you're getting new reports in new windows; that's not the normal behavior, and not what I'm seeing (although I'm not on Sierra). Are you using Quicken 2017, or an earlier release? Reports open in the single main window unless you explicitly tell Quicken to open them in a new window by (1) View > Open in New Window, or (2) Control + O (letter o), or (3) on the new Comparison and Summary reports, clicking New Window in the upper right of the report. Are you NOT doing any of those, and having each report open in a new window?
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    BoDEAN said:

Where do I enter the USERNAME at?  Can't log into my loan account because there is no USERNAME field. Cmon' quicken! image

BoDEAN, definitely frustrating, but understand that Quicken has to keep up with 14,000+ financial institutions which are constantly updating their websites.

The best thing to do in cases like this is contact Quicken Support, because this needs to get escalated the the scripts team responsible for dealing with updated login requirements at all those financial institutions.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    DougM said:

Thank you!

DougM, I would suggest doing a copy and paste of all your suggestions into a new post (top of this screen), and clicking the Conversation Type as Idea. It might be more likely to be seen by the development team than in this long, unwieldy thread about the release of Quicken 2017. (At worst, it's posted in two places.)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    DougM said:

Thank you!

You can now vote for the feature for an indicator for accounts with downloaded transactions that need attention, here:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/download-flags

First
    , click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

• Surklyn
    Surklyn Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Surklyn said:

I am using Quicken 2017.  Double clicking will open a new window as well.  Moving from account to account,  it is easy to double click, especially if you've been working in another programs window.  Going to the budget window and viewing transactions always opens a new window.  The reports, calendars, and bills do not open in another window  (they did in 2016), I assumed they still did as I'm still having window management problems with accounts and budgets.  Still now I either have to settle with opening multiple reports in multiple windows via a command key or mouse action, or click a drop down menu for the report I want to view each and every time I need to view it.  The user interface could be made more elegant with a tabbed interface with the option of pulling a tab out to make it a new window.  
  • JOHN M MALONEY
    JOHN M MALONEY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    UPGRADED TO QM17, UNABLE TO ADD MY MACY'S ACCOUNT.  KEEP ON GETTING ERROR CODE 104.  WHAT IS THIS ?  THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
  • JOHN M MALONEY
    JOHN M MALONEY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    ALSO NOTICED THAT ITEMS ALREADY REVIEWED ARE ONCE BEING ASKED TO REVIEW THE ITEMS AGAIN   THIS APPEARS ON ALL THE ACCOUNTS AND GOES BACK MANY MONTHS.
This discussion has been closed.