Add support for complex searches (using ==, >, exact match) on accounts filters (35 Legacy Votes)

Add support for complex searches (using ==, >, exact match, etc.) on accounts filters
42 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review Dec 2020- CTP-7540

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

I suspect using syntax like that would appeal to only a very small technically minded population.

That said, the general idea is still valid; to provide a way to search for 'not equal to', 'greater than', 'less than', 'contains', 'exact match', 'starts with', 'ends with', etc. both within an account or across accounts.

It should also include a few more features:

• ability to perform AND and OR type searches
    • ability to select which field(s) to search, that is one or more specified fields

This is mostly available in QM2007. There should be something equivalent in the new Quicken for Mac, etc.

Be sure to click the little black triangle under the VOTE count in the yellow banner below, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a moment for your vote to register).(If the triangle is grey, your vote has already been counted.)
    Your VOTES matter!

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may also want to add your VOTE for other features related to Data Entry and Usability Options and Features.

First, click on the underlined link, then be sure to scroll down the page, as it contains a list of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Click on each link above, then be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Then VOTE on EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

• Crashmeister
    Crashmeister Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Allow exclusions in search.

Please allow for exclusions in the search such as -xxx.

Example: I use asset accounts to simulate Savings Goals. When viewing the parent account, I sometimes want to exclude all 'goal' transactions from the view, to see a more accurate depiction of what is going on inside the actual account.

By allowing a search criteria, such as -goal (note the minus sign), the search should show all transactions that do not contain 'goal'.

This would be most useful in other situations as well.

Thanks.
    Craig.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
  • Robert B
    Robert B Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

I suspect using syntax like that would appeal to only a very small technically minded population.

That said, the general idea is still valid; to provide a way to search for 'not equal to', 'greater than', 'less than', 'contains', 'exact match', 'starts with', 'ends with', etc. both within an account or across accounts.

• ability to select which field(s) to search, that is one or more specified fields
    This is mostly available in QM2007. There should be something equivalent in the new Quicken for Mac, etc.

If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 
    The creation of a report in QM2007 was very well designed.  QM2018 needs to have better report functions, i.e:  image
  • gerbouff
    gerbouff Member ✭✭
    The ability to search "all transactions" is very useful. Enhancing the searching ability to use "and", "or", "contains", "does not contain", "date range", "amount range" conditions would make it a million times more useful!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2020
    @gerbouff Your new Idea post was merged into this existing Idea thread for advanced search capabilities. Please be sure to vote for it by scrolling up to the top of the thread and finding the blue box under the first post, and then clicking the little gray triangle under the vote counter.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dsnidey
    dsnidey Member ✭✭
    It's time to overhaul the filter and search functionality in the register. The pull-downs for Date, Type, Status are handy but too limited. How about a full Filter + Search capability where I can filter on a specific tag, like Groceries, then search within those results using the Search capability. Allow the combination of multiple filters. Also rethink the buttons for Transactions | Spending | Income as these are redundant. I realize Reports can do a lot of this, but I have done extensive projects in Quicken and the best tool is the register, not reports. Reports are fussy and time-consuming.
  • Hi @dsnidey,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and merged your Idea to this active Idea thread regarding this topic.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. Please, be sure to add your own vote as well by clicking the up arrow (see example below).

Thank you, 
    Quicken Jasmine

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• garry4
    garry4 Member ✭✭
    >>It's time to overhaul the filter and search functionality in the register.<< --YES THIS--it's so frustrating that a database has such limited search/filter functionality.
  • AGGSpeaker
    AGGSpeaker Member ✭✭
    I'd sure love it The "Search All Visible Columns" search box in transaction view could have improved search options using nested operators similar to Gmail or Evernote. For example I used to rename Apple charges as iTunes which just kind of stuck around. Eventually I changed it to "Apple Apps" as we use Quicken for our small business CC expenses which has some of those as well. Therefore entries are mixed for business and personal entertainment. I would love to be able to do something like ("Apple OR iTunes" after: 3/15/2022 -category:Entertainment). Another is ranges similar to dates. (e.g. Within the last 14 days). Google lets you search for numeric values in a range e.g. "Chevy 1955..1957" which provides all the values between 1955,1956, and 1957. Quicken is all about finding stuff. But having to always do so in the Reports section is tedious for one-off searches.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @AGGSpeaker,

I went ahead and merged your Idea to this active Idea thread regarding this topic.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. Please, be sure to add your own vote as well by clicking the up arrow (see example below).

Thank you!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• A Brown
    A Brown Member ✭✭✭
    have a feature where you can search via multiple criteria like payee name and amount threshold (example less than 20.00). also an ability to save said search criteria
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @A Brown,

I went ahead and merged your Idea to this already active Idea thread regarding this topic.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Fred8
    Fred8 Member ✭✭

https://community.quicken.com/profile/smayer97 suggestion is spot on:

This one change would greatly increase the utility of the reports.

• Tom Claffy
    Tom Claffy Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023

After researching reports capabilities, I see that Quicken supports replacing data directly from reports. Based on the very powerful search capabilities in the reports customize window, this need seems to be have been met.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2023

I see that Quicken supports replacing data directly from reports. Based on the very powerful search capabilities in the reports customize window, this need seems to be have been met.

Definteitely not! This request is for complex/compound searches. Depending on what you're searching for, you might be able to get what you want. If you want to search only current and former checking accounts for a certain tag, you can do that. But if you want to search those accounts for matching text in a memo field, you can't. If you want to search those accounts for transactions which do NOT have a specific tag, you can't. If you want to search an account for transactions over $500, you can't. If you want to find any old transactions between $1,000 and $1,500, you can't. Etc. The request is for searches which are exact matches, number ranges, or compound criteria — none of which is currently possible.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993