Add "Account" and "Category" columns to the "Bill and Income Reminders" page (9 merged votes)

rgumpertz
rgumpertz Member ✭✭✭✭
Please add "Account" and "Category" columns to the Tools -> "Bill and Income Reminders" page(s) in QW.  That would let me sort by Account to identify all reminders being paid from a particular account (or on Category for similar reasons).

If you feel this would make the display too crowded, you could add these two columns only when the page is displayed full-screen.

(An alternative would be to let each user select which columns are displayed on that page, much like an account register.  That might be more slightly more difficult to implement and perhaps not useful enough to justify the extra effort.)  

Tagged:
32 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Try Ctrl+ J and then selecting the Monthly Bills & Deposits tab on the Bills and Reminders window, it has the account on it.  Note isn't perfect since it only shows a month and you can't sort by account, but it is better than nothing.

And then there is go to the BILLS tab -> Bill Reminders, List, and select up to 12 months.

Another idea is to go to the account, and you can click on the clock icon to show up to a year of reminders.
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Hi Mike,  

I think that would be a useful column to have in the All Bills and Deposits tab.  

In addition to the user story you presented, I think this would be a good feature to have available at a glance in All Bills and Deposits.  Every so often, I go over my reminders and ensure that all the information is current, including payment account, websites, payment dates, and lead-times.  A single view is useful.

I just went through this same task of switching over an old card number to a new one.  I ended up clicking into each reminder (21 of them), under All Bills and Deposits and inspecting the payment information I keep current.  When I found the old card, I clicked on Go to goto that vendor's website to make a change then went back and updated account information.   It didn't take too long for 21 accounts. 

There are a few options for filtering reminders by account - but only for a particular month....

1.  Under Monthly Bills & Deposits,  account infromation is displayed.  Of course, it would force you to scroll through to find that "every 6mo" or "every year" kind of payment frequency.  See image 1.

2.  Likewise, in the stack view, you also can filter on accounts.  But again, only for a particular month.  See image 2.

Good idea, you got my vote!

Scott

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    No one has yet mentioned the Bill and Income Reminders snapshot that you can add to a custom Home tab view. This snapshot has the option to display the account for each reminder.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    QM2007 has this column and has had it in earlier versions too. I sure hope we do not get FULL parity on the Mac as the current version of QWin. This is one example where Quicken needs to merge the best of both versions.

I often rely on this column for several things but one of them is to identify when I create a scheduled transaction/bill reminder with the wrong account.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

No one has yet mentioned the Bill and Income Reminders snapshot that you can add to a custom Home tab view. This snapshot has the option to display the account for each reminder.

and there you have it!  That will be useful.  Once you add this to your home page, find it by a right click on the column header to select "show accounts in bills list".  To bad, the selection of this column isn't available under the main functionality of "managing reminders".  Strikes me as oddly inconsistent : )
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    BTW I should mention, that if people want this feature they should vote for it in the upper right of the page.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

An issue with reminders needing to be changed only occurs if you create a new Quicken account register for your new credit card.

However, since access to your credit card account for downloading transactions is by logon ID and password, not by account number and therefore it's all one bucket ...
    once your new credit card has been issued you can simply deactivate the old credit card account and then reactivate it, LINKing the new account found to the existing Quicken account register. That avoids having to change a number of scheduled reminders, but the process of reactivation will most likely download 90 days of transactions again which you'll have to muddle through.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Thanks Mary.  I never knew that option was there.  I've added it to my Home Page!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    An alternate solution to this is to do what I have done.  Only use one credit card for all of the recurring bills that are paid for with a CC.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

An alternate solution to this is to do what I have done.  Only use one credit card for all of the recurring bills that are paid for with a CC.

That does not entirely solve the problem because when creating a new reminder, Quicken defaults the account selection to the register you are in, so if you happen to be working in another register and forget to change the account selection, the reminder then gets saved to the wrong account.. Unfortunately, happens to me often. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Mine started out that way, then I got distrac - oh look a chicken!

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Actually I think that people are missing the original reason for this request.
    It in fact doesn't have to do with Quicken at all.

Let's say you have 10 reoccurring bills paid by a given credit card, and for some reason the card number needs to be changed.

What you need to know/do it log into those 10 sites where you used that credit card, and update the credit card information.

So how do you remember all the sites that you need to update?
    Well if you have scheduled them all in Quicken then just looking at your scheduled reminders for that credit card tells you all the sites that you have to go to and update.
  • Quicken Jeff
    Quicken Jeff Member, Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Thanks, Mike. This seems like something we could do in a future release. I've passed along to the Windows team.
  • Erik Hart
    Erik Hart Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    the bill and income reminder page has 11 columns.  Status, due, pay to/receive , linked to, amount, show in list, # left, method, how often, web, action.   

Most of of these are totally worthless.  

But there’s no column showing which account a bill is to be paid from, (or income is to be credited to).  So that you can quickly see that reminders are set up properly for budget calculation purposes.

This is particularly frustrating since if you enter a scheduled transaction in the bills tab, but change the account you pay it from on that occasion, it automatically changes it for all future reminders, (and thus, destroys the budget for that account).   

Example.  I schedule a recurring transaction to be paid from my checking account.   (My main account for bills and income).    But on a particular occasion I decide to pay that bill with a credit card, instead of directly from my checking account.    Now all future reminders get “reset” to pay with that credit card, I only intended to use for that bill one time.  

If if I don’t remember to go back into bills and reminders, and change the default account back to checking, then I can easily forget that that change automatically happened.   I can’t go into the bill and reminder tab and just scroll down the hundreds of scheduled transactions I have to look at a column to see everything is scheduled to be paid from the correct account, to remind me my schedule is messed up.  And the “projected balance” for my checking account will show that I will have a lot of extra money that I don’t really have, because the amount for that recurring transaction is no longer being deducted from the checking account.  It’s now being forecast to deduct from a credit card account I only intended to use one time.  
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    To see the account used by reminders, I suggest using the Monthly Bills & Deposits tab on the Bill & Income Reminders window.
  • Erik Hart
    Erik Hart Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    To see the account used by reminders, I suggest using the Monthly Bills & Deposits tab on the Bill & Income Reminders window.
    That doesn't really speed up the process...  I then have to go through ALL of my scheduled transactions, MONTH BY MONTH...   When I might be looking for a bill, that only occurs once or twice a year.
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Erik Hart said:

That doesn't really speed up the process...  I then have to go through ALL of my scheduled transactions, MONTH BY MONTH...   When I might be looking for a bill, that only occurs once or twice a year.
    You can sort the biller column alphabetically by biller name.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Another approach is to temporarily use Reminders to show in register to display 12 months of scheduled reminders in an account.

In your example, to avoid editing the reminder, I would enter the reminder and then edit or move the transaction appropriately.

• Erik Hart
    Erik Hart Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Roger M said:
    Erik Hart said:

You can sort the biller column alphabetically by biller name.
    I don’t care about the biller.  I care about the account used to pay them.  
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    But, you said in your original post: " But on a particular occasion I decide to pay that bill with a credit card, instead of directly from my checking account."

So, you must know who the biller is, and therefore would be able to find that bill quickly when sorting by biller name.

If that still is not satisfactory, and you are constantly switching the payment account, then perhaps Sherlock's suggestion is best.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • Erik Hart
    Erik Hart Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Roger M said:
    But, you said in your original post: " But on a particular occasion I decide to pay that bill with a credit card, instead of directly from my checking account."

So, you must know who the biller is, and therefore would be able to find that bill quickly when sorting by biller name.

If that still is not satisfactory, and you are constantly switching the payment account, then perhaps Sherlock's suggestion is best.
    No.  The whole point is I forget I’ve even changed it.  Because it did it automatically.   I just wanted to record the transaction correctly, and it changes all future transactions that I don’t intend to pay that way.  
  • Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I'd like the "Account To Use" column to show in the Bill and Income Reminders window when the All Bills & Deposits tab is selected. This column is displayed when the Monthly Bills & Deposits tab is selected.

Better still, let the displayed columns in Bill and Income Reminders window be an option to select what columns to display and make all relevant choices available.
     ---- Quicken User since 1998 ----
  • JohnL.Miller
    JohnL.Miller Member ✭✭✭
    YES!!! I've been wanting this from day one, but my requests have fallen on deaf ears.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Philip107  & @JohnL.Miller

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread to add the ability to include an account column in the bills and income screen.

Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

This Idea has been marked as "Planned" meaning that this is planned to be implemented in the future, however, I am unable to provide an ETA.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • rgumpertz
    rgumpertz Member ✭✭✭✭
    Please add "Account" and "Category" columns to the Tools -> "Bill and Income Reminders" page(s) in QW.  That would let me sort by Account to identify all reminders being paid from a particular account (or on Category for similar reasons).

If you feel this would make the display too crowded, you could add these two columns only when the page is displayed full-screen.

(An alternative would be to let each user select which columns are displayed on that page, much like an account register.  That might be more slightly more difficult to implement and perhaps not useful enough to justify the extra effort.)  

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @rgumpertz,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your Idea request.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ditto
  • Add "Account" and "Category" columns to the "Bill and Income Reminders" page
  • ez_300
    ez_300 Member
    I don't use all the columns and they do not all fit on my screen. How can I delete some or change the size of some columns