From Eric Dunn, CEO of Quicken: Letter to the Quicken Community about the Membership Plan (November

Comments

• mistertheplague
    mistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

I agree with every single negative comment in this forum.

I have used Quicken since the very first edition--and used Microsoft Money until it ended. I am a programmer and writer. For the same reason I did NOT go with Office 365 but bought my own copy of Office, that is, lack of ownership of the product, I will not be upgrading to Quicken 2018 and agreeing to a one-year ownership model where I lose the utility if I do not renew.

Too bad that Quicken is going with this model. It cannot be good for the user in the long run.

@splasher: sort of reminds me of "home ownership." Stop paying your mortgage if you want to find out who really owns your home. 
    Quicken Premier Mac and Windows
  • OleSVM
    OleSVM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

I have used Quicken since the very first edition--and used Microsoft Money until it ended. I am a programmer and writer. For the same reason I did NOT go with Office 365 but bought my own copy of Office, that is, lack of ownership of the product, I will not be upgrading to Quicken 2018 and agreeing to a one-year ownership model where I lose the utility if I do not renew.

Too bad that Quicken is going with this model. It cannot be good for the user in the long run.

Oh! Wait a minute.  This almost makes sense until you consider:

- The lien holder only owns a claim on the property not the property itself

- The deed carries the name of the purchaser, not the lien holder

- The owner named on the deed is responsible for taxes, insurance & liability

Just points to consider when making the ownership calculus

Peace

Steve
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

In truth it really doesn't matter about any "comparisons".  Like most things you have a contract with another party, and you have agreed to the live by it.

If I was going to pick any kind of "comparison" I probably would pick a book, with some kind service given with the book.

You own the book.  You don't own the rights to the story.
    The service for instance for a financial book might be "You can use our website to look up XXX financial data for a year".

Software is copyrighted, just like a story.  You can't distribute it.

And how you can use it depends on the contract.  It can be presented to you as a book you can keep.  It can be presented to you on a website that you are not allowed to copy, and might have a time limit on it.

In the case of Quicken you have been told you can use it for as long as you like, but the online services provided are for a limited time.
  • mistertheplague
    edited November 2017
    Mike said:

Thanks Eric.  I have been using money management software since the late 80's, starting with Andrew Tobias' Managing Your Money.

Before using Quicken, I had been using MS Money.  I was stunned when Microsoft decided to abandon MS Money and that's when I felt forced to purchase Quicken in 2009.  I now love Quicken and use most of the features.

I am grateful that someone is committed to continuing the support and development of Quicken.  I am not sure what I would do without it, as using personal finance software is now like owning/driving a car.  I can't imagine life without it.  I feel in total control of my finances because I can track everything from net worth to my retirement investments and plan for the future.

However, I am worried that Quicken can survive since Intuit and Microsoft abandoned personal desktop software. 

Microsoft said that banks already provide features like Bill Pay. I would suggest Quicken drop features that might be a drain on Quicken. I use the heck out of most Quicken features, but I use free Bill Pay available from my Credit Union instead of what's available in Quicken.  (not saying drop Bill Pay unless it is a drain and most people don't use it - just an example :) 

Focus on the things that will make people love and depend on Quicken (like being able to see the total financial picture, including net worth, lifetime planning and powerful reporting).  

Wishing you success!

@mshiggins, that's correct. Intuit pointed this out in the early aughts when Quicken's sunset was changed to 3 years and a large part of the Quicken user base went berserk.
  • mistertheplague
    edited November 2017

"The lien holder only owns a claim on the property not the property itself"

No one has a lien on this computer I'm typing on, because unlike the home I'm sitting in right now as I type, I own it outright. I own it outright because I paid for it outright. 

If I canceled my Apple Care (assuming such a thing could be done), Apple wouldn't care because they already have my money. If I canceled my homeowner's insurance, on the other hand, Wells Fargo would send in the black helicopters. 

Those are my points.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

I have been a Quicken for about 20 years.  I have always been upset by the fact that I have to buy a new copy every 2 years just so I can keep the download function.  Now I am really upset that I will have to pay for a new copy EVERY YEAR i.e subscription.  In reading the comments above I feel the negative ones have been edited out.  Quicken management if you DON'T want to lose more loyal customers don't require everyone to convert to the subscription model.  I fell this is just a money grab.    I do have to agree with a couple of comments I saw that the changes Quicken have made over the years have not always been for the better.   I live in the San Francisco area and if you would like to form a user focus group I would be happy to be part of that.  You really need more input from actual user and not a bunch of programmers that have to continue to make change to keep their jobs.

Doug, you can buy a two-year subscription, so you'll be on the same timing as you say you've been in the past. It will cost a little more, but keeping downloads working with thousands of financial institutions that are constantly changing their websites, login and security procedures is a major ongoing expense. And the subscription model kills off the one annual fall release -- the cause of some of the buggy releases in past years.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    edited November 2017
    Edgar said:

With all due respect to the CEO's justification for going to a one-year activation so the company can focus on updating a single version of Quicken rather than having to maintain three yearly versions that are currently active at any given time... baloney.

Since the new continually updated version of Quicken has a rolling expiration date based on the date of actual installation, it would have been just as simple to assign a three year validity period as the one year period that they did.

It is all about the money -- tripling the cost for those Quicken Deluxe users who have traditionally only bought a new version every three years.

@Edgar: "it would have been just as simple to assign a three year validity period as the one year period that they did."  I think you missed one of the key reasons for the switch to the subscription plan: so they don't have to maintain and support all the different versions of software, which consumes a lot of time and resources currently. A security fix has required them to update four years of 6 or 7 products, whereas once the annual versions fade away and everyone is on a single code base, it will take a lot less time to develop, test and release updates (whether bug fixes or feature enhancements).
  • jacobs
    edited November 2017
    Geneo56 said:

You have sold me the last Quicken you will ever sell me.2017 Premier. Your subscription program is outright thievery . i usually update every year or every other year but will not be TOLD I HAVE TO. I have to use on computer for quicken only for WINDOWS. Quicken for MAC always is a joke.

I don't think I'll influence your thinking, but...

a) Under the subscription plan, no one is telling you you HAVE TO keep paying. If you want, don't renew your subscription. You can still access your data, just as you were able in the past to continue using Quicken without the download functionality when your version expired. It's really not different.

b) Is it more expensive now? If you updated every two years in the past, then buying a two year subscription (at a retailer selling at a discount) now costs slightly more. (If you paid $50 for Deluxe before, it's now about $65 for a 2-year subscription, for instance. You might disagree, but I don't see an extra $7.50 per year as "thievery." 
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

I have been a Quicken for about 20 years.  I have always been upset by the fact that I have to buy a new copy every 2 years just so I can keep the download function.  Now I am really upset that I will have to pay for a new copy EVERY YEAR i.e subscription.  In reading the comments above I feel the negative ones have been edited out.  Quicken management if you DON'T want to lose more loyal customers don't require everyone to convert to the subscription model.  I fell this is just a money grab.    I do have to agree with a couple of comments I saw that the changes Quicken have made over the years have not always been for the better.   I live in the San Francisco area and if you would like to form a user focus group I would be happy to be part of that.  You really need more input from actual user and not a bunch of programmers that have to continue to make change to keep their jobs.

Hi @ Doug Loskot ,

If you buy from Amazon.com for a 27 Month Subscription for Quicken 2018, what happens after the first year, you get a New Version of Quicken to Quicken 2019, automatically. You won't be stuck with Quicken 2018 version.

That's the purpose of Quicken switching to a Subscription-based, so all Users who use Quicken Online Services will be running Quicken 2021 at the end of 2020..

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• jacobs
    edited November 2017

Actually, there won't be "Quicken 2019" (unless they change the box for retail stores) -- there will just be "Quicken" going forward. (I'm not sure about Windows, but on a Mac, the new version of the program is just "Quicken", not "Quicken 2018"). The point of this is that they will release bug fixes and new features when they're ready, instead of developing around a marketing-driven annual fall release.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    I have no problem with the program.  It will reduce overall cost.  However, Their customer support gets a 0 in my opinion.  I have tried to use it and the wait is ridiculous.  I have been using MoneyWiz and their support and upgrades are great for the same cost.  It also allows direct downloading of banks that Quicken will not support.  They blame it on the bank, that's not true.  When you save a report and go back the program puts other categories in on its own.   I have notified support but no response.  I like Quicken but not sure I will stay considering what I have identified.  My observations.  
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Hi @

jacobs ,

There has to be a way for the Users and Quicken to know what they are running. Notice, currently not everyone is running the exact same Build, because when they release a New R #, not everyone is upgraded at the same time.

With Glary Utilities, the User get the see what they are running at a glance.

With Quicken, nothing. Glary is a Subscription Product as well.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Edgar said:

With all due respect to the CEO's justification for going to a one-year activation so the company can focus on updating a single version of Quicken rather than having to maintain three yearly versions that are currently active at any given time... baloney.

Since the new continually updated version of Quicken has a rolling expiration date based on the date of actual installation, it would have been just as simple to assign a three year validity period as the one year period that they did.

It is all about the money -- tripling the cost for those Quicken Deluxe users who have traditionally only bought a new version every three years.

@jacobs... no, I get that, but they still could have made the new single version good for 3 years from the date of installation.  It almost sounded like they HAD to go to a one year expiration because of the new single version. This isn't a case where it had to be one or the other... it could have been both.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

I am currently on Quicken 2016 Home & Business. We use it for managing one rental property and doing light invoicing for our very small business. I can tell you that, given the $100 PER YEAR charge for 2018  and considering all the software problems Quicken has  had, we will NOT be moving to the subscription model.  You have effectively tripled cost of ownership for us.

I can't tell you the amount of time I invested  in keeping Quicken working with my credit union (reset account, rebuild account, etc. etc.) when it finally turned out that some programmer had messed up the scripting for online access. It wasn't anything the CU had done but something the Quicken scripting department had farkled. 

Further, each new iteration of Quicken has  created new bugs to squash without adding any more real functionality. For example, in investment tracking, I have LONG wanted (and requested) the ability to create custom classes of investments so that an analysis would produce a more granular report than currently available. It's never happened.  In addition, as banks create more two-step authorization systems, Quicken has increasingly failed to properly deal with them.

Whenever a company raises prices, it should only do so from a position of strength. I'm sorry guys, but that's clearly NOT where you are right now. "Bringing everyone to the same level" is NOT a customer benefit. It's a benefit for your company. 

The point we’re missing is the charge for bill pay. Assuming an annual charge makes sense (Intuit charges an annual fee for TurboTax — I know the difference), what is the justification for charging for a currently free service? I for one use Quicken for bill pay and the reports for tax purposes. This makes it way more expensive.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

I am currently on Quicken 2016 Home & Business. We use it for managing one rental property and doing light invoicing for our very small business. I can tell you that, given the $100 PER YEAR charge for 2018  and considering all the software problems Quicken has  had, we will NOT be moving to the subscription model.  You have effectively tripled cost of ownership for us.

I can't tell you the amount of time I invested  in keeping Quicken working with my credit union (reset account, rebuild account, etc. etc.) when it finally turned out that some programmer had messed up the scripting for online access. It wasn't anything the CU had done but something the Quicken scripting department had farkled. 

Further, each new iteration of Quicken has  created new bugs to squash without adding any more real functionality. For example, in investment tracking, I have LONG wanted (and requested) the ability to create custom classes of investments so that an analysis would produce a more granular report than currently available. It's never happened.  In addition, as banks create more two-step authorization systems, Quicken has increasingly failed to properly deal with them.

Whenever a company raises prices, it should only do so from a position of strength. I'm sorry guys, but that's clearly NOT where you are right now. "Bringing everyone to the same level" is NOT a customer benefit. It's a benefit for your company. 

@kcnchuzi

There are TWO bill pay methods:
     1) you control your financial institution's BP service via Quicken; and
     2) you use the Quicken Bill Pay (QBP) service.

#1 may be free if you FI provides it free.

#2 is the one that has a fee associated with it unless you are using Premier or higher in the 2018 release of Quicken.

This is no different than what has been in place in the past, except now, Premier or higher users can use the QBP for free (has been about $10/month in the past and still is for Starter and Deluxe editions).

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Mike said:

Thanks Eric.  I have been using money management software since the late 80's, starting with Andrew Tobias' Managing Your Money.

Before using Quicken, I had been using MS Money.  I was stunned when Microsoft decided to abandon MS Money and that's when I felt forced to purchase Quicken in 2009.  I now love Quicken and use most of the features.

I am grateful that someone is committed to continuing the support and development of Quicken.  I am not sure what I would do without it, as using personal finance software is now like owning/driving a car.  I can't imagine life without it.  I feel in total control of my finances because I can track everything from net worth to my retirement investments and plan for the future.

However, I am worried that Quicken can survive since Intuit and Microsoft abandoned personal desktop software. 

Microsoft said that banks already provide features like Bill Pay. I would suggest Quicken drop features that might be a drain on Quicken. I use the heck out of most Quicken features, but I use free Bill Pay available from my Credit Union instead of what's available in Quicken.  (not saying drop Bill Pay unless it is a drain and most people don't use it - just an example :) 

Focus on the things that will make people love and depend on Quicken (like being able to see the total financial picture, including net worth, lifetime planning and powerful reporting).  

Wishing you success!

I, too, started with MS Money and then went to Quicken. Because of all the rumors about Quicken, I spent the summer trying most of the top rated other financial management applications. They all had their strong points, but none was a complete package, as far as I am concerned. That is why I was ready for Quicken 2018 and became a member as soon as it can out.  Yes, there are lots of bugs in Q2018 and I don't trust some of the parts at this point. But I need QHBR and there is nothing else out there that does it all without having to find all kinds of "work-arounds".
    Hopefully Quicken will do what they advertise and fix what has been mentioned here.

Yes, I have found support useless. The few times I did use it, the op was 100% clueless. Q support never fix a problem for me. This community is always my go to for help.
  • Spokey
    Spokey Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018

completely agree.  "resting on our oars"?  I haven't seen any real significant improvement in probably 2 decades.  Pretty much the only reason I upgrade is for download.  And even that has gone down the crapper.  I too am deactivating and reactivating accounts.  Having all download without an error is rare enough that I usually mention it to my wife. 

If quicken actually improved the product, I wouldn't mind the upgrade.  But what improvements.  As i mentioned in another post's comments, the DOS version of Managing Your Money had better reporting.  We've known about covered vs uncovered investments for about a decade.  I think the initial reporting was around 2011.  Quicken hasn't addressed that with even a buggy capability.

Where are the simple things?  Like recently the downloads of one of my brokerages required me to split it in to a separate account for each mutual fund.  OK, maybe Quicken had to do that because of the brokerage.  But how hard would it be allow me to group 'accounts' in to a super account so I could see it the way I do online at the brokerage web site?  Same for some of my banking. 

The point is that, in my opinion, Quicken has focused on 'eye candy'.  That is make the product look 'pretty' but don't really make it more usable. 

My take is that as I have v2017, I do have a couple years to find something that works.  i wouldn't mind this change as much if I had any indication that this large increase was going to actually improve things.  If quicken was smart they would have put out an edition or two under the current scheme and show that they can make a decent product before trying to con me into a much higher priced product.

One last thought.  I thought the " you are assured that you will continue to have full access to and control over your desktop data, even if you don’t renew." was a bit weasel wordy.  If I don't renew, can I use the 'old' software and manually enter transactions?  Or is it just read only?  What features do I lose?  Must be something otherwise no one would renew.
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

If I don't renew, can I use the 'old' software and manually enter transactions?  Or is it just read only?  What features do I lose? 

Yes you can use it manually (except for the Starter Edition), the online services are disabled it you don't renew. See here for details.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Spokey
    Spokey Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

I stopped using Quicken shortly after I paid to upgrade to 2015.
    Quicken is now very difficult to use.
    I do everything in Excel now - a lot less work.

that reminds me.  yes quicken can handle a simple split but has never had any help for mergers, etc.  That is you own 10 stock A and end up with 4 of B and 6.7 of A.  The math for the new basis is usually fairly easy once you have the company's published data.  support from quicken?  none
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

@spokey
    But how hard would it be allow me to group 'accounts' in to a super
    account so I could see it the way I do online at the brokerage web
    site? 
    Have you tried using one of the views on the Portfolio page customized to show just those MF separated into different accounts?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I purchased Quicken 2017 Premier last Spring when 2014 was being phased out. It is now November, and my financial institution, Chase, still does not support 2017 versions of Quicken. I do not see how going to a subscription model would benefit me when one of the world's largest banks is still one year behind on supporting your products.
  • Spokey
    Spokey Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

yes.  That gets partway there.   But it would need a 'no grouping' so that all assets would be together.  And because it is portfolio, I can't do that for bank accounts anyway.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

I purchased Quicken 2017 Premier last Spring when 2014 was being phased out. It is now November, and my financial institution, Chase, still does not support 2017 versions of Quicken. I do not see how going to a subscription model would benefit me when one of the world's largest banks is still one year behind on supporting your products.

I have my Chase accounts working fine with QW2017. There hasn't been any issues with Chase and QW2017 for me.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

The issue is that Direct Connect and Bill Pay are still not supported on 2017 by Chase.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Financial institutions don't choose to support any particular "year" of Quicken.  They choose to support a standard ,(OFX ), a standard that all current versions of Quicken use.

Chase does allow for Direct Connect, the most reliable connection available, and it has worked flawlessly for me through many, many versions of Quicken.  Currently I'm running both Q2016 and Q2018 and both versions have no issues playing nice with Chase.

You might want to start a new post outlining in detail your problems with Chase.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Financial institutions don't choose to support any particular "year" of Quicken.
    This isn't true.  Some financial institutions look at the version number that Quicken sends in its request for getting the transactions, and blocks ones it doesn't want to support.

Usually every year there are a couple that haven't updated the information and block the newest version of Quicken for a month of so after it gets released.

BUT it is true that Chase supports Quicken 2017, and for that matter I don't think it is one that even tries to block based on Quicken version number.

And I use Chase/Direct Connect every day, it works fine.

Note that you have to get it enabled on Chase's side.
    Also Chase does have a new process of sending a security code for "new devices".
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

BTW check the "Download account activity" page (click on the button with down arrow on it.  On that page I see this message:

Financial Software AccessYou've activated Direct Access. You can now see your account information and pay bills through your financial management software.
    To cancel this service at any time, please call us at 1-877-242-7372 (government entities and not-for-profit organizations call 1-855-893-2223).

Most likely if you have not activated Direct Access you will have a message that tells you how to activate it.  If not you can contact Chase and ask them about it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Funny reading some of the comments here about how this is a good value.  I'm one of those people that upgrades generally every other year.  I buy Quicken Premier for Windows.  The last couple purchases I made were:

Quicken 2017 $59.22
    Quicken 2015 $55.77
    Quicken 2012 $47.80

So my annual cost at worst over my last 3 upgrades was $30/yr.

So far it looks like the best price I could get with Quicken 2018 right now is from Staples for $99.99 for two years.  So that's $50/yr.

Whatever, I guess, I'm not gonna quibble over $20/year.   I'll probably upgrade to Quicken 2020.

I still don't see anything in Quicken 2018 that would compel me to upgrade.

I have no interest in using Quicken's Bill Pay.  I had at one time long ago used it but it was a rip off at 9.99 /  month and switched to using my bank.  Given all the issues Quicken has had with just about everything I wouldn't trust them to manage my bill payments.

I'm a little annoyed that they are now including Bill Pay in the subscription and bragging about what a great deal that is.  I guess that's why the software is more expensive for a feature I'll never use.

Same with the included 5gb of Dropbox.  Who is asking for this stuff?  More gimmicks as far as I'm concerned.

Fix the damn bugs already.  Why is this so hard for them to do?
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Many Users who purchased Quicken from Intuit / Quicken, no longer have access to those programs. Will the past purchases, be moved to their new Quicken ID? Quicken 2015, Quicken 2016 and Quicken 2017?

When you sign into Intuit / Quicken with the old Intuit ID, it takes you back to Quicken.com to Sign in and when you sign in the purchases associated with your old Intuit User ID, have not been moved over to the new Quicken ID.

This includes Reward Copies as well.

Not to mention Canadian Customers.

@thecreator:  If your Quicken ID isn't identical to the Intuit ID that contained your Intuit purchase history, no purchase history will display when you sign-in to My Account on the Quicken web site.

The image that you displayed does indicate that you are using the Quicken ID used to purchase Quicken 2018.

If you are a member of Intuit's TurboTax Advantage program, you can log into Intuit's web site and display your Quicken purchase history for Quicken 2016 and earlier versions.  Quicken 2017 purchases only appear on the Quicken web site.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

I have been a proponent of the subscription model for Quicken for years as I knew it was inevitable. The annual release schedule is outmoded.

I certainly appreciate how the Mac development has been much more agile over the past few releases, with features being added throughout the year. In years prior (Intuit days), annual release features were mere marketing talking points that often missed the mark. And, said features were quickly abandoned (i.e. left half baked) as development had to rush to the next marketing whims. Now, I see fixing and polishing of existing features.

I am sure Quicken will lose some customers from this transition, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. It takes time and money to develop software and keep the back end infrastructure running to support it. (many people miss the latter point). I certainly don't mind ponying up the money for tools that help me do my job. 

The switch to a subscription model turns the page to a more positive direction.

I will grant you that the Quicken for Mac product has improved since Quicken for Mac 2015.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to complete my transition to using Quicken solely on the Mac platform.

I still need to run Quicken Premier in a Windows 10 virtual machine.  The primary problem with Quicken on the Mac platform is that it still doesn't have investment logic to support corporate acquisitions (mergers) and divestitures (spin-offs/split-offs).  As a result of not having this support, the new investment reports in the Mac version of Quicken 2018 are useless unless I import a new QDF file after each corporate acquisition or divestiture.  These are far more common now than they were only a decade ago.

The Mac product has made tremendous strides in being able to import data from the Windows product but it remains a challenging process after each import to correct the errors resulting from transactions being processed in a different order than they were in the Windows version.  Perhaps, I should call the process time-consuming rather than challenging as I know which investment accounts will need to be changed after doing this for three years.

Another area that could use some work is the processing of non-taxable interest and dividend income.  Let's say you purchase shares in a municipal bond fund.  There is no Federal or state taxes on the dividends.  You have the dividends reinvested.  The Mac version of Quicken reports this as taxable income unless the bond fund is held in a tax-deferred investment account.  Why would one want to pay ordinary income tax on non-taxable income?

I do like the new subscription model as it eliminates the need to buy a Windows and a Mac version of Quicken each year.  This saves me $110 per year.
This discussion has been closed.