Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x Released

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

I just upgraded to Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x and now I get this error all the time. This account does not to be updated it's just the value of my house and I input that manually.

Hi, I just updated the new release for my mac. I recently transferred Quicken over to my mac from a PC and updated the software from 2013. I thought I'd let you know two problems I'm having. Firstly, I've used "copy transaction" thousands of times with my old software. Sometimes I would copy a transaction and put it in a different account for important reasons. The new version for mac does not hot have a "copy transaction" menu. It only has a "duplicate transaction" and you can only duplicate the transaction in that specific account you are working in. It's very frustration. Also, one of my checking accounts does not show the balance in the account. I've tried everything from adding "balance" from the column menu to adding every column choice available etc. There are thousands of transaction in this checking account and future payments for the month and  I have no idea what my balance is unless I pull out a calculator to figure it out which defeats the purpose and because I can't copy a transactions to start a new checking account where the balance works in the account I'm basically stuck. If you could add a "copy transaction" in the next update it would really help. thanks so much, Paul Treppedi
  • Bobalaska
    Bobalaska Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    FYI in Mac version 5.4.2 there is a possible minor bug.  One of my IRA accounts was changed to a regular brokerage account when updating to latest version.. 

I was able to go into the account settings, change it back to IRA, and that seems to have taken care of it, i.e. not recurring when re-opening. 

Something similar had occurred with the same account when I first upgraded from 2015 to 2018 (I also recollect that when I went back to check 2017 the account had also changed but if so I fixed and can't replicate now). 

Just wanted to let you know.  I appreciate the regular updates that are being made.  Bodes well for the product.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    RickO said:

Marcus... some nice additions here. There are some cosmetic problems with the new ability to customize Transaction Report columns:

1) The placement of the column customization is not consistent with other parts of the program. Here it is within Customize settings. In other places (e.g.. Portfolio View), there is a Columns button image on the row of buttons at the top. Other places, you can also right click on the column headers to choose columns. Both of the latter options would be preferred.

2) The Notes column should properly be called Memo/Notes to agree with the registers.

3) When you add a column such as Memo/Notes, it gets added quite wide which pushes the Amount column off screen to the right. That might not be such a problem as long as the user notices and resizes columns. But... the column width settings don't stick; they again become very wide as soon as you leave the report and return to it.

4) What is the ATTM column? That's not a column in a transaction register. Is it a misnomer for something else?

One more suggestion: (and this applies throughout the program)... In other Mac programs there is sometimes a convention that shift-clicking or command-clicking on a disclosure triangle will collapse all (if you click on an open one), or expand all (if you click on a closed one). That would be very helpful throughout Quicken. This could also be accomplished with little Expand All and Collapse All buttons on the button row.

Did anyone mention that the memo/notes for split transactions aren't shown?  Also, the dollar value of each transaction doesn't print. 
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    RickO said:

Marcus... some nice additions here. There are some cosmetic problems with the new ability to customize Transaction Report columns:

1) The placement of the column customization is not consistent with other parts of the program. Here it is within Customize settings. In other places (e.g.. Portfolio View), there is a Columns button image on the row of buttons at the top. Other places, you can also right click on the column headers to choose columns. Both of the latter options would be preferred.

2) The Notes column should properly be called Memo/Notes to agree with the registers.

3) When you add a column such as Memo/Notes, it gets added quite wide which pushes the Amount column off screen to the right. That might not be such a problem as long as the user notices and resizes columns. But... the column width settings don't stick; they again become very wide as soon as you leave the report and return to it.

4) What is the ATTM column? That's not a column in a transaction register. Is it a misnomer for something else?

One more suggestion: (and this applies throughout the program)... In other Mac programs there is sometimes a convention that shift-clicking or command-clicking on a disclosure triangle will collapse all (if you click on an open one), or expand all (if you click on a closed one). That would be very helpful throughout Quicken. This could also be accomplished with little Expand All and Collapse All buttons on the button row.

Did anyone mention that the memo/notes for split transactions aren't shown?  Also, the dollar value of each transaction doesn't print. 
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    jlgg said:

I just downloaded 5.4.2.  I know Marcus stated we would temporarily lose ability in Comparison Reports to drill down to register, but I noticed we also lost the ability to automatically show memos when clicking on categories. I can customize to show memo/notes but I have to do it each time I select a category.  Moreover, memos from split transactions don't appear at all.  For me, individually, the old Comparison Report was more useable.

I noticed the same issues.  The drill down ability is particularly hard to live without.  Also noticed that the transaction amounts aren't printed when you print a comparison report.  
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017

Just downloaded the update 5.4.2. Looks like the column width modification appear to be working. Quicken is indeed remembering the widths I selected. Wondering if Marcus had a chance to review some of the bill & income issues RickO, QPW & I discussed a few weeks ago.  

I agree, you should be able to arrange it how you want on screen and have that arrangement stick. When printed, it should be scaled to fit.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited January 2018
    jacobs said:

I'm happy to see the ongoing incremental improvements in reports, but I continue to be frustrated with the report architecture that displays/prints subtotals on TOP of the data it totals. This is unlike any financial software I've ever used, and the reports are therefore unlike any financial reports I've ever read. Marcus, I hope moving subtotals below data (or at least an option to do so) is on your development roadmap. 

Count me as 4.
  • RickO
    edited December 2017

There is a formatting issue for Mortgages when the currency is Euro. See for example below the gibberish character next to the Principal and Interest amounts.

imageimage

The only "good" bug is a bug that eats other bugs! :-)
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

I just upgraded to Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x and now I get this error all the time. This account does not to be updated it's just the value of my house and I input that manually.

Paul, For the first issue, duplicate the transaction (you can use Command-D on the keyboard), then drag the new transaction (which will already be selected) to the 2nd account in the sidebar. Pretty much just as easy.

For the 2nd issue, see this: Running Balance Not Showing. Very likely one of the steps listed there will fix this for you.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

The first one gets the job done but it is clumsier than the ability to do a copy and paste...

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Jeff189
    Jeff189 Member
    edited December 2017
    I cannot get this update to install. When prompted to install the update, I click "Install and Relaunch" it pops up an message saying that an error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again later. I've tried about 20 times now. I've rebooted my mac in between tries, and that does not help. I'm currently on Version 4.6.7 (Build 46.19238.100)
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Jeff said:

I cannot get this update to install. When prompted to install the update, I click "Install and Relaunch" it pops up an message saying that an error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again later. I've tried about 20 times now. I've rebooted my mac in between tries, and that does not help. I'm currently on Version 4.6.7 (Build 46.19238.100)

Jeff, the 5.4.x update does not apply to your version 4.6.7. There was a mistake in a server-side configuration file that was sending the update to 4.6.x users in error. That has been corrected and you should not be being offered the update any more. 4.6.7 is the latest update of QM2017, version 4.6.x.
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    RickO said:

Yes, I found this too.  And, if you add the Check # column the check numbers show on the screen but do not print.  Also, if you do a CSV export the same data that does not print does not export either.
  • Jeff189
    Jeff189 Member
    edited December 2017
    Jeff said:

Thanks Rick. Unfortunately, I'm still being prompted to install the update every time I launch. 
  • RickO
    edited December 2017
    Jeff said:

Yeah Jeff. I just checked myself and the error is back. Seems like somehow this keeps happening every time they release a new update for QM2018. I've reported it, and hopefully it will be fixed (again) soon.
  • macuser_22
    macuser_22 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have noticed a change in the way that QM2018 handles reinvestment of dividends.

With QM2017 security dividends transactions were listed as Type="Dividend Income" with a "Cash In" amount.  Then if reinvested there was a second transaction Type="Buy" with a "Cash Out" amount.

With QM2018 the Type for that is now a single "Reinvest Dividend" with "Cash In" and "Cash Out" being zero.

There seems to be no easy way to actually see the dollar amount of the dividends received without editing the reinvest transaction which then displays the dividend amount and total cost.

It would be nice to be able to see that information directly in the transaction window with a user option column like the other columns.

In the investment transaction view how about adding a column for dividends?

It would also be nice to have a Symbol column to display the security symbol in the transaction window.
  • Scott Schmidt
    Scott Schmidt Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Can this be FIXED soon?
    When entering QM2007 investment transactions, there are four fields that are entered in the register - number of shares, $ amount of transaction, commission, and share price. The share price is back-calculated from the first three parameters. Occasionally if one of the first three fields is edited during the transaction entry, the share price does not get updated properly and the transaction ends up being entered with this field having an incorrect value (i.e. it is not consistent with the shares/$/commission fields). This is no big deal because this share value doesn't seem to be used for much in QM2007.
       However, when importing this faulty transaction into QM2018, the total transaction cost is calculated from the number of shares, commission, and the (possibly incorrect) share price. This results in the transaction $ amount being incorrect, and the account cash balance starts to diverge from that in the QM2007 register.
    You are correct. But it doesn't take an "incorrect" share price to trigger the problem.

When entering investment transactions in Quicken 2007, number of shares, share price, commission, and total cost are equally important. Enter any three numbers and Quicken will calculate the other value. 

And, Q2007 will accept a transaction if the math works with rounding. For example, consider a mutual fund purchase of $5,000, where the closing NAV was $48.74. The mutual fund company will take $5,000 divided by $48.74 equals 102.5851, which the fund company rounds to 102.585 shares. Quicken would allow the transaction to be entered as Buy 102.585 shares at $48.74, for $5,000 total.

In Quicken 2016 and later, the share price is a derived field: transaction cost divided by number of shares gives the share price, to 6 decimal places, far more than the stock market actually supports. In Quicken 2018 you can't even enter the share price in a transaction. If the above transaction were originally entered in Q2018, it would calculate $5,000 cost divided by 102.585 shares equals $48.740069 share price.  

What is happening on the import is bizarre:
    1. The import completely ignores the total transaction cost that was entered in Q2007.
    2. It calculates a new, bogus total transaction cost: number of shares times the share price that was in the Q2007 transaction.
    3. Then it takes the total transaction cost that it fabricated, which may not match the actual transaction, and uses that to derive a new share price: total transaction cost divided by number of shares, to 6 decimal places.
    In the example above, it would first calculate a transaction cost of 102.585 shares times $48.74 equals $4,999.99. Then use that to derive new price: $4,999.99 divided by 102.585 is $48.739972. Which isn't even the share price that the same transaction would calculate if it were originally entered in Q2018!

The major error here is that Quicken is forgetting that total cost should be sacrosanct on the import, since that's what determines your cash balance. So if you have an account with a lot of history, the errors accumulate, until the account balance is wildly off.

I have reported this bug to Intuit, and now Quicken, on every beta test since the new Quicken started supporting investment transactions. It is one of many data loss issues that are blocking me from upgrading.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    It looks as if the "Loans:Loan Interest" category is hardcoded as a string instead of being referenced by id in the Edit Loan & Payment Terms dialog box.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Edit categories
    2. Rename "Loans:Loan Interest" to, for example : "Emprunts:Intérêts Emprunt" (YMMV)
    3. Create a new Loan
    4. Save the Loan
    5. The split scheduled transaction uses "Loans:Loan Interest" instead of "Emprunts:Intérêts Emprunt" and a new category "Loans:Loan Interest" has been created.image
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Top categories are either "Expenses" or "Income", but there are cases when one would like to regroup sub-categories of both Income and Expense types (I have several such cases, personally). Quicken disallows this for customers, but, under the hood, it uses it in a number of occasions : Investments, Transfer, etc.. I would like this possibility to be opened up to us mere mortals.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Create a new top level category
    2. There is a choice only between Income and Expense types, and NOT "either"

This is likely going to be controversial. No flames please! 

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Account > Reconcile shows incorrect balances of downloaded transactions.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Edit account
    2. Setup transaction download
    3. Select Web Connect
    4. Update, then reconcile account
    6. The Online Balance is shown as -1,00 €, even though the QFX ledger and available balances are  -606.98 €  (see example below)

<LEDGERBAL><BALAMT>-606.98<DTASOF>20171216
    </LEDGERBAL>
    <AVAILBAL><BALAMT>-606.98
    <DTASOF>20171216</AVAILBAL>

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Transactions move to an unexpected date after matching.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Enter transaction manually in the register, set date to 20171211 for example
    2. Update account. This downloads (but does not match) a similar transaction. The date is 20171213
    3. Drag & drop transaction 2. above on transaction 1. to match
    4. The date of the combined transaction switches suddenly, and unexpectedly, to 20180201

NOTES
    - This does occur for about half the transactions from the same QFX. I couldn't figure out why
    - The "unexpected" date seems to be coming from the <DTPOSTED> QFX tag
    <STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    <DTPOSTED>20180102
    <DTUSER>20171213
    <TRNAMT>-24.00
    <FITID>ce9f946c
    <NAME>Le chatham
    </STMTTRN>
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I don't know if this is related to your experience but I was having a similar experience (but not the exact same)
    I unchecked "Use posted date for matched transactions (instead of the date you entered manually) in Quicken Preferences > Connected Services.
    After doing that I am satisfied with the download date/transaction matching that occurs.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

I don't know if this is related to your experience but I was having a similar experience (but not the exact same)
    I unchecked "Use posted date for matched transactions (instead of the date you entered manually) in Quicken Preferences > Connected Services.
    After doing that I am satisfied with the download date/transaction matching that occurs.

I see, thanks. I have unchecked the option. However, it's weird it did not apply it automatically for all transactions.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Transactions move to an unexpected date after matching.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Enter transaction manually in the register, set date to 20171211 for example
    2. Update account. This downloads (but does not match) a similar transaction. The date is 20171213
    3. Drag & drop transaction 2. above on transaction 1. to match
    4. The date of the combined transaction switches suddenly, and unexpectedly, to 20180201

NOTES
    - This does occur for about half the transactions from the same QFX. I couldn't figure out why
    - The "unexpected" date seems to be coming from the <DTPOSTED> QFX tag

<STMTTRN>
    <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
    <DTPOSTED>20180102
    <DTUSER>20171213
    <TRNAMT>-24.00
    <FITID>ce9f946c
    <NAME>Le chatham
    </STMTTRN>
    You have to change your settings and turn off "Use Posted date for ...." :

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I need some advice regarding loan management and maybe there is a bug (or feature).

I have created a new loan, with an opening balance of 120k€. I have also created an asset account to track the asset for the loan. At first, I entered a standalone transaction in the account for the asset to track the value of the asset.

But then I thought these were really the same transaction and should be linked, so I changed the Loan Opening Balance to a Transfer to the asset account. This quickly became a Split in order to record further details. And I also updated the date of LOB.

Probably a bad thing because Quicken promptly created a Balance Adjustment transaction and now my loan doubled in value. (In the database, hopefully not in the real world.)

Is this how Quicken is supposed to behave? Am I doing something wrong? Is changing the LOB transaction not supported yet?

BTW, my attempts at changing the LOB were partially inspired by:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-track-refinanced-loan
    I know this was written for Quicken Windows, but it should work similarly -eh, better!- on the Mac, shouldn't it?

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    When will amounts/transactions included in hidden accounts be searchable and included in graphs?  With more than 20 years of Quicken data, I've got more than a few accounts that I need data from but don't use regularly (closed accounts).  The only way I know of now to have the transactions of these accounts (particularly investments) reflected in graphs is to maintain them as active on the left sidebar.  Can we add something to the following screen to allow access/updates from these accounts for searching all transactions and presentation on the investment graphs?
    It's a pain to activate the account only to allow searching within that account.  Maintaining these as active on the desktop only clutters the account list on the left sidebar.  
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Snoopy FC said:

When will amounts/transactions included in hidden accounts be searchable and included in graphs?  With more than 20 years of Quicken data, I've got more than a few accounts that I need data from but don't use regularly (closed accounts).  The only way I know of now to have the transactions of these accounts (particularly investments) reflected in graphs is to maintain them as active on the left sidebar.  Can we add something to the following screen to allow access/updates from these accounts for searching all transactions and presentation on the investment graphs?
    It's a pain to activate the account only to allow searching within that account.  Maintaining these as active on the desktop only clutters the account list on the left sidebar.  

I agree. Why doesn't unchecking "Reports" also include these accounts in searches? More than once I've been looking for transaction history and realized it was probably in a hidden account. Turning accounts off and then hiding again is an unnecessary inconvenience and makes the program less trustworthy..... and who needs an untrustworthy accounting program?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

And the sole purpose of "hiding" accounts in Quicken Mac is so that they are hidden.  That means "as if they aren't there".  

You want them hidden...but then again, you don't.

Can't have it both ways.  

It works as you like in Quicken Windows...which I find completely unacceptable.  Hidden accounts in QW appear in the drop down lists for reports.  I, personally, hate that and don't feel like scrolling through all those accounts.

So...some people like the idea of NOT seeing hidden accounts in the drop down selection lists.  
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

All I'm hoping for is having the option to set it up however the user sees fit.  I understand why people would want it either way, and I think the user should be able to determine what's most useful.  For my accounts, having data in hidden accounts misrepresents what I actually have (and prevents searching for data in those accounts), and leaving those accounts unhidden simply clutters the account sidebar.  There's got to be a reasonable way to make this work.  
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Drag & Drop transactions between Brokerage (and other?) accounts.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Add shares into an investment account
    2. Dup transaction
    3. Drag and Drop to another account -ah, does not work yet alas!

ALTERNATIVE 1
    3. Select Brokerage in the side bar
    4. Change account for transaction 2. above -does not work either

ALTERNATIVE 2
    3. Get Info
    4. The account is not displayed and thus cannot be changed

It's so cool to be able to d&d with checking accounts and so sorely missing with brokerage accounts !
This discussion has been closed.