Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x Released

Comments

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Snoopy FC said:

When will amounts/transactions included in hidden accounts be searchable and included in graphs?  With more than 20 years of Quicken data, I've got more than a few accounts that I need data from but don't use regularly (closed accounts).  The only way I know of now to have the transactions of these accounts (particularly investments) reflected in graphs is to maintain them as active on the left sidebar.  Can we add something to the following screen to allow access/updates from these accounts for searching all transactions and presentation on the investment graphs?
    It's a pain to activate the account only to allow searching within that account.  Maintaining these as active on the desktop only clutters the account list on the left sidebar.  

B Hawks wrote: "And the sole purpose of "hiding" accounts in Quicken Mac is so that they are hidden.  That means "as if they aren't there". "

Except the "Hide" menu has two columns. I don't want to always see a closed checking, credit, investments, etc. account in the side bar. However, if I do a search of "All Accounts" and I've chosen to show these accounts in "Reports" I personally think they should be included in the results. For example, I know I paid a vendor in the past and want to see their payment history, I do a search for "All Accounts" and it comes up missing transactions which I "think" should be there (or worse, I don't remember and think these are all of them). Now I have to go searching. I guess you could argue I should run reports, but they are IMHO so broken that I don't have the habit of using them. If some users don't want this I think a check box for this preference makes sense. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

When will amounts/transactions included in hidden accounts be searchable and included in graphs?  With more than 20 years of Quicken data, I've got more than a few accounts that I need data from but don't use regularly (closed accounts).  The only way I know of now to have the transactions of these accounts (particularly investments) reflected in graphs is to maintain them as active on the left sidebar.  Can we add something to the following screen to allow access/updates from these accounts for searching all transactions and presentation on the investment graphs?
    It's a pain to activate the account only to allow searching within that account.  Maintaining these as active on the desktop only clutters the account list on the left sidebar.  

Why would you jump to that conclusion?  If it says to include those hidden accounts in Reports, you'll be able to include them in reports...not as a search from the register.

BTW, have you explored using New Reports.  I find that I can create just about any report that I need using that feature, as it allows me to include/exclude accounts, categories and tags to customize any report.  Also allows me to have better control over date ranges and comparison reports.  And I like the auto-save feature of the New Reports.  I have set up and saved about a dozen reports and has made Quicken Mac useable now (along with the workaround for handling transfer transactions).  

You'll find your hidden accounts there.

Also, as I've mentioned before I have Quicken Windows 2017 too.  I hate that I have hidden accounts and then they show up in the account selection for reports.  I have them hidden for a reason.  I don't want to see them.  And I know that if I have to search "way back", I can unhide them.

Same for Quicken Mac.  I on the other side.  I DON'T want to see hidden accounts as a filter choice. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2018

Interesting times with the release of the Canadian version...Thx.

I posted the following questions here (before these notes), but you have more or less answered the first 2 from that list in your notes. I am posted the rest of them here:

• 2. So essentially the CA version is just the US version with US specific features turned off, based on the Home Currency? Or is there more to it?
    • 3. Does the CA "version" of QM2018 include the ability to download from US FI/Banks?
    • 4. The US version of QM2018 includes ability to download from CDN FI/Banks. Will this continue to be true?
    • 5. The footnotes indicate that Quicken Mobile only works in Canada. Is this a unique version for Canada? Does it not link to US accts?
    • 6. I also see that Quicken Mobile is listed to only work with QM2017 and later but the US site lists it as working will all versions of QMac...is there a different versions of QMobile to work with QM2015 and QM2016?
    • 7. Is Premium support not available for QM2018 CA like it is for the US? After all, they are effectively the same product (the CA version having reduced functionality)?
    Hi, I've been a long time Quicken Windows user (from the DOS days) and was excited when the Quicken for Mac 2018 for Canada was released. I imported my Windows data file and encountered a few issues:
    1. the import into Mac messed up my savings accounts as it didn't handle to conversion when you moved money between USD and CAD accounts properly. I did have to fix that manually in all my accounts.
    2. security prices are not able to be displayed in CAD. This is highly problematic. A stock such as BMO will use the USD price even if the account is in CAD. Quicken for Windows asks you which stock exchange to use while the Mac version doesn't permit this. It did pick up mutual funds (for example) and got the correct currency. The Quicken chat person wasn't familiar with the product and told me to mention this on this forum. 

Until this is fixed I will be unable to use Quicken for Mac 2018 and will continue to use the Windows version with a VM on my Mac. I'm quite surprised (and disappointed) that this new release hadn't taken care of this properly. I have wasted a lot of time on the import and troubleshooting, and will have to do it again when these bugs are fixed.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

Meanwhile, you can add your VOTE to First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Drag & Drop transactions between Brokerage (and other?) accounts.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Add shares into an investment account
    2. Dup transaction
    3. Drag and Drop to another account -ah, does not work yet alas!

ALTERNATIVE 1
    3. Select Brokerage in the side bar
    4. Change account for transaction 2. above -does not work either

ALTERNATIVE 2
    3. Get Info
    4. The account is not displayed and thus cannot be changed

It's so cool to be able to d&d with checking accounts and so sorely missing with brokerage accounts !

Drag and drop would be cool between investment accounts but I suspect this would be quite challenging to implement, given lots assignments and other tax implications...

Alternatively, you can add your VOTE to Add Ability to Transfer Shares between Investment Accounts.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    When selecting the Investing tab, the portfolio view takes about 30 seconds to display with the spinning beach ball. The 2017 version of the portfolio view displayed around 5 seconds. The portfolio is unusable with this delay. Also, Quicken 2018 for windows displays the portfolio instantly running VMWARE.

Try adding the "Day Gain Loss " and "Day Gain Loss %" columns to the "Performance" table view. No results display. Works when these columns are added to the "Portfolio Value" view.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Batman said:

When selecting the Investing tab, the portfolio view takes about 30 seconds to display with the spinning beach ball. The 2017 version of the portfolio view displayed around 5 seconds. The portfolio is unusable with this delay. Also, Quicken 2018 for windows displays the portfolio instantly running VMWARE.

Try adding the "Day Gain Loss " and "Day Gain Loss %" columns to the "Performance" table view. No results display. Works when these columns are added to the "Portfolio Value" view.

Slowness is a known issue...work-around is to hide the graph (grab window divider and drag it to collapse window split) and only open the graph part of the window when you really want it.

• Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Batman said:

Thanks for reminding me how to hide the rather useless (to me) graph in portfolio view.  Another issue with the Investing Portfolio is I often get the message "This portfolio has no securities or cash."  I have to click an account under the Investing tab to show the securities and then click the Investing tab.  After doing that the full portfolio populates. This is a bug that was not present - or I never experienced in Q 2017.
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

One more feature I would like to see return to Quicken is Universal Search.  That is to be able to search for a transaction in all of the account registers beginning with the current account from one search box.  As it is we have to search one account at a time - very tedious.  Quicken 2007 had a decent universal search function.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

In the sidebar if you if you select all transactions you are able to search all banking & credit card accounts..WIl not search Investment registers. Select Investing & you can search all those accounts. Not exactly what you want but it least it is a partial to your request
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

Thanks for the helpful information - I will use that!   I think that will be close enough for the type of searching I will need to do.  I was trying to use the "Find" item in the "Edit" menu and was getting no where.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Batman said:

I concur re: Day Gain/Loss columns not populating in the Performance view.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

@Concordman... one correction: the All Transactions group will let you search both banking and investment transactions. You can limit the search by selecting any of the various groups or subgroups in the sidebar before searching.

@Craig in ER... Edit > Find is the same thing as clicking in the search box in the upper right corner of any Transactions view. The key is to first select All Transactions or any of the various groups or subgroups (e.g. Banking, Savings, Brokerage, etc) in the sidebar to limit your search to that group of transactions. 

One more tip.... after Edit > Find (or clicking in the search box), if you click the little magnifying glass icon, you can further limit the search to any of the visible columns. Not only might this get you closer to the results you are looking for, it will greatly speed up the search in large group registers. 

BTW, search will only search visible columns, so if you are trying to find something in a hidden column, you will need to make that column visible (menu View > Columns) before searching.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

Got it!  Great and helpful tips.  This will work for the "universal" search I was looking for.  You saved me a lot of time.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

As I noted elsewhere, anything in a account that you have hidden, will also be hidden if you try to search "All Transactions."  I think they need to allow us the option to search for transactions even if they're in hidden accounts.    
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

If you have not already, remember that you can add your VOTE to links found at the post above, here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-4-x-released?topic-reply...

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Snoopy FC said:

Another thing to keep in mind is that the universal search is still incomplete...in QM2007 you can also perform a global Find and Replace. Though you can do that in the latest versions of QMac, the "new FInd and Replace" will NOT perform the changes in split transactions. For that, Meanwhile, you can add your VOTE to Improve Batch Editing to include changing Split transactions.

First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Can this be FIXED soon?

When entering QM2007 investment transactions, there are four fields that are entered in the register - number of shares, $ amount of transaction, commission, and share price. The share price is back-calculated from the first three parameters. Occasionally if one of the first three fields is edited during the transaction entry, the share price does not get updated properly and the transaction ends up being entered with this field having an incorrect value (i.e. it is not consistent with the shares/$/commission fields). This is no big deal because this share value doesn't seem to be used for much in QM2007.
       However, when importing this faulty transaction into QM2018, the total transaction cost is calculated from the number of shares, commission, and the (possibly incorrect) share price. This results in the transaction $ amount being incorrect, and the account cash balance starts to diverge from that in the QM2007 register.
    You are correct. But it doesn't take an "incorrect" share price to trigger the problem.

When entering investment transactions in Quicken 2007, number of shares, share price, commission, and total cost are equally important. Enter any three numbers and Quicken will calculate the other value. 

And, Q2007 will accept a transaction if the math works with rounding. For example, consider a mutual fund purchase of $5,000, where the closing NAV was $48.74. The mutual fund company will take $5,000 divided by $48.74 equals 102.5851, which the fund company rounds to 102.585 shares. Quicken would allow the transaction to be entered as Buy 102.585 shares at $48.74, for $5,000 total.

In Quicken 2016 and later, the share price is a derived field: transaction cost divided by number of shares gives the share price, to 6 decimal places, far more than the stock market actually supports. In Quicken 2018 you can't even enter the share price in a transaction. If the above transaction were originally entered in Q2018, it would calculate $5,000 cost divided by 102.585 shares equals $48.740069 share price.  

What is happening on the import is bizarre:
    1. The import completely ignores the total transaction cost that was entered in Q2007.
    2. It calculates a new, bogus total transaction cost: number of shares times the share price that was in the Q2007 transaction.
    3. Then it takes the total transaction cost that it fabricated, which may not match the actual transaction, and uses that to derive a new share price: total transaction cost divided by number of shares, to 6 decimal places.
    In the example above, it would first calculate a transaction cost of 102.585 shares times $48.74 equals $4,999.99. Then use that to derive new price: $4,999.99 divided by 102.585 is $48.739972. Which isn't even the share price that the same transaction would calculate if it were originally entered in Q2018!

The major error here is that Quicken is forgetting that total cost should be sacrosanct on the import, since that's what determines your cash balance. So if you have an account with a lot of history, the errors accumulate, until the account balance is wildly off.

I have reported this bug to Intuit, and now Quicken, on every beta test since the new Quicken started supporting investment transactions. It is one of many data loss issues that are blocking me from upgrading.Beta is a good place to bring up these issues. I would also suggest you post this issue in the forum as a Problem as its won thread and direct anyone with a similar problem to then go to that thread and click ME TOO. This will also raise visibility to the issue, at least in this forum.

And if you have not done so already, use the Report a Problem menu in Quicken to also submit this problem.

I have also cross-referenced this post (as a placeholder for now) in the If you create that new thread, I will update the list with that new entry.

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

I just upgraded to Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x and now I get this error all the time. This account does not to be updated it's just the value of my house and I input that manually.

Paul, Thanks for the suggestion about copy and I think RickO's solution would be an OK workaround for now.

In regards to the Balance question, are you saying the balance number doesn't appear but the column header does?  This typically happens when the sort order is not based on the date.   The people who designed the Mac product many years ago decided not to show the balance if the sort order was based on anything but the date since it isn't matching one's bank's transaction list but I'm not sure this was the right decision.  We get support calls on it.  Also, Quicken Windows shows the balance independent of the sort order.  Anyway, that's the reason it's that way.  What do other people think?  Should we always display the balance?
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

I just upgraded to Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x and now I get this error all the time. This account does not to be updated it's just the value of my house and I input that manually.

Re: Balance Column

I think you should keep it as it is. 

No balance is an immediate clue that the register is not in its' "normal" configuration.

The same users who have difficulty grasping the significance of no balance will also have difficulty figuring out why their balance is all 'wonky'. An incorrect or meaningless balance due to filtering or sorting is more likely to cause those same users serious problems such as overdraft, etc.

It ain't broke - don't fix it :<))
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017

Can this be FIXED soon?

When entering QM2007 investment transactions, there are four fields that are entered in the register - number of shares, $ amount of transaction, commission, and share price. The share price is back-calculated from the first three parameters. Occasionally if one of the first three fields is edited during the transaction entry, the share price does not get updated properly and the transaction ends up being entered with this field having an incorrect value (i.e. it is not consistent with the shares/$/commission fields). This is no big deal because this share value doesn't seem to be used for much in QM2007.
       However, when importing this faulty transaction into QM2018, the total transaction cost is calculated from the number of shares, commission, and the (possibly incorrect) share price. This results in the transaction $ amount being incorrect, and the account cash balance starts to diverge from that in the QM2007 register.
    You are correct. But it doesn't take an "incorrect" share price to trigger the problem.

When entering investment transactions in Quicken 2007, number of shares, share price, commission, and total cost are equally important. Enter any three numbers and Quicken will calculate the other value. 

And, Q2007 will accept a transaction if the math works with rounding. For example, consider a mutual fund purchase of $5,000, where the closing NAV was $48.74. The mutual fund company will take $5,000 divided by $48.74 equals 102.5851, which the fund company rounds to 102.585 shares. Quicken would allow the transaction to be entered as Buy 102.585 shares at $48.74, for $5,000 total.

In Quicken 2016 and later, the share price is a derived field: transaction cost divided by number of shares gives the share price, to 6 decimal places, far more than the stock market actually supports. In Quicken 2018 you can't even enter the share price in a transaction. If the above transaction were originally entered in Q2018, it would calculate $5,000 cost divided by 102.585 shares equals $48.740069 share price.  

1. The import completely ignores the total transaction cost that was entered in Q2007.
    2. It calculates a new, bogus total transaction cost: number of shares times the share price that was in the Q2007 transaction.
    3. Then it takes the total transaction cost that it fabricated, which may not match the actual transaction, and uses that to derive a new share price: total transaction cost divided by number of shares, to 6 decimal places.
    In the example above, it would first calculate a transaction cost of 102.585 shares times $48.74 equals $4,999.99. Then use that to derive new price: $4,999.99 divided by 102.585 is $48.739972. Which isn't even the share price that the same transaction would calculate if it were originally entered in Q2018!

The major error here is that Quicken is forgetting that total cost should be sacrosanct on the import, since that's what determines your cash balance. So if you have an account with a lot of history, the errors accumulate, until the account balance is wildly off.

I have reported this bug to Intuit, and now Quicken, on every beta test since the new Quicken started supporting investment transactions. It is one of many data loss issues that are blocking me from upgrading.Yes, this has been a longstanding problem since the initial "modern" Quicken Mac rolled out as Quicken 2015. It has been ignored by the developers in comments posted in both this forum and in beta testing reporting. They seem to think they created a "better way" to do the math, when mathematically precise is sometimes not correct, and therefore doesn't precisely match the way users have handled their transactions in legacy Quicken Mac products.

Here's my example to add to Scott's above: In Quicken 2007 and earlier, when entering investment transactions, I would often use the Commission field to add or subtract one or two cents to make my transactions work due to rounding. Vanguard funds, for instance, work to three decimal places for shares, meaning a sale or purchase of the reported number of shares at the reported share price would sometimes result in a $5,000 purchase actually showing up as $4,999.99. To get my cash balance correct, I'd record the transaction with plus or minus a penny of commission so the total cost was $5,000. I never cared about the couple cents of positive or negative "commission" at the end of the year, but everything worked to perfection for two decades. But when I import my Quicken 2007 data file into any of the modern Quicken versions, despite my crude method of avoiding rounding issues, the program changes the share price to a different value than the actual share price -- e.g. instead of a share price of $56.94, Quicken 2015-18 in its infinite wisdom record a share price of $56.939598 -- meaning I can't trust Quicken's calculations about gains to be precise. Close enough for tracking or financial planning; probably not accurate enough for IRS reporting.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    RickO said:

Marcus... some nice additions here. There are some cosmetic problems with the new ability to customize Transaction Report columns:

1) The placement of the column customization is not consistent with other parts of the program. Here it is within Customize settings. In other places (e.g.. Portfolio View), there is a Columns button image on the row of buttons at the top. Other places, you can also right click on the column headers to choose columns. Both of the latter options would be preferred.

2) The Notes column should properly be called Memo/Notes to agree with the registers.

3) When you add a column such as Memo/Notes, it gets added quite wide which pushes the Amount column off screen to the right. That might not be such a problem as long as the user notices and resizes columns. But... the column width settings don't stick; they again become very wide as soon as you leave the report and return to it.

4) What is the ATTM column? That's not a column in a transaction register. Is it a misnomer for something else?

One more suggestion: (and this applies throughout the program)... In other Mac programs there is sometimes a convention that shift-clicking or command-clicking on a disclosure triangle will collapse all (if you click on an open one), or expand all (if you click on a closed one). That would be very helpful throughout Quicken. This could also be accomplished with little Expand All and Collapse All buttons on the button row.

Ugh.  Thanks, Craig.  We'll get that fixed.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

Agreed...you may help one group but end up with another group confused (or even the same group)...if anything, you may simple want to display a dialogue box that shows up when they change the sort order to anything but the date, warning users that the balance can only be shown when sorted by date, with a check box option to no longer show this dialogue box. 

OR if you do go the QWin route, then still use an optional dialog box to warn that the running balance may not match their statement unless sorted by date.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

I posted the following questions here (before these notes), but you have more or less answered the first 2 from that list in your notes. I am posted the rest of them here:

• 2. So essentially the CA version is just the US version with US specific features turned off, based on the Home Currency? Or is there more to it?
    • 3. Does the CA "version" of QM2018 include the ability to download from US FI/Banks?
    • 4. The US version of QM2018 includes ability to download from CDN FI/Banks. Will this continue to be true?
    • 5. The footnotes indicate that Quicken Mobile only works in Canada. Is this a unique version for Canada? Does it not link to US accts?
    • 6. I also see that Quicken Mobile is listed to only work with QM2017 and later but the US site lists it as working will all versions of QMac...is there a different versions of QMobile to work with QM2015 and QM2016?
    • 7. Is Premium support not available for QM2018 CA like it is for the US? After all, they are effectively the same product (the CA version having reduced functionality)?
    @Quicken Marcus, can you please still address 1) and 2) for clarity? there are users that ask about migration to QM2018-CA and want to be sure that they are correctly informed. 

• Quicken Marcus
    edited January 2018
    D H Grif said:

I am using 2018 for MAC. The budgeting does not work. Even editing will not list all the income or expenses. It is totally worthless. I have used Quicken for over twenty years. This is by far the most frustrating issue I have ever come across. 

Investment transactions are very different than your typical banking register transactions and similarly, the categories are different.  Architecturally the budget is tied to the banking transactions and not investments so there's a bunch of work we have to do to make investments work also.  If it was easy we would have done it already.  There's also a bunch of work being done on budgets for the Quicken Cloud so from a timing perspective we don't want to completely overhaul our budget infrastructure to support investments only to find out we have to do it again to support the new Quicken cloud.   That's probably too much information but thought I would provide a detailed explanation to help clarify the trade-offs we're making and the timing.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017

I am currently running version 3.5.2 and have yet to be able to update or import my 2017 file both for Mac.

Oh that's not good.  I'll reach out to you via email.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    jacobs said:

I'm happy to see the ongoing incremental improvements in reports, but I continue to be frustrated with the report architecture that displays/prints subtotals on TOP of the data it totals. This is unlike any financial software I've ever used, and the reports are therefore unlike any financial reports I've ever read. Marcus, I hope moving subtotals below data (or at least an option to do so) is on your development roadmap. 

I just had to add that if you have read any of my detailed posts on this issue (Request for Customizable Reporting EngineCreate Useful Category/Transaction Detail Report, and essential related report features), I am of the opinion that 3 things working correctly with full functionality serves a better purpose and is more satisfying than a dozen things only working half right and not being able to make them do what you want, leaving one frustrated at every turn.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Can this be FIXED soon?

I have reported this bug to Intuit, and now Quicken, on every beta test since the new Quicken started supporting investment transactions. It is one of many data loss issues that are blocking me from upgrading.
    I would often use the Commission field to add or subtract one or two cents to make my transactions work due to rounding. 
    I do likewise. And QM2007 even will adjust the commission field if you adjust other fields, to keep things all balanced. 

At the very least, preserving the balance in user's data is paramount. And clearly that must be true for migrating from other versions of Quicken.

And as for dealing with these fields, I do not know if there is a better way but QM2007 works by allowing users to change any of the fields, and automatically uses one of the other fields to keep them all in balance...does sometimes get a little frustrating fighting the program when making adjustments because you do not always have control over which field it will automatically adjust...but I get what it is doing.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    D H Grif said:

I am using 2018 for MAC. The budgeting does not work. Even editing will not list all the income or expenses. It is totally worthless. I have used Quicken for over twenty years. This is by far the most frustrating issue I have ever come across. 

No, No...not too much info. It actually helps to understand the context in which you have to develop things to better appreciate the timing of delivery, rather than wondering in wait with no insight...  :-)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited April 2018

I'll try to answer everyone's Canadian questions.
    1) There is only 1 Mac product for both US and Canada.  This is both a good thing and a bad thing.  The good thing is that it means everything in the US version is actually in the Canadian Version too.  The bad thing, of course, is that it means that we have to come up with a way for users to be able to hide and turn things on based on their preferences and making the product feel like it's geared to one's country without cluttering up the user experience.  We are most likely going to add a preference where someone can turn all features on if they work, live or invest in both countries.  This is NOT in the product yet but will be.  So to answer your question, if you are a Canadian member today we will turn off Bill pay and Bill Presentment and there won't be a way to turn them back but we will have an option in the near future.
    2) Yes, both US and Canadian bank accounts can be downloaded if the customer has the US or Canadian membership.  We don't do anything in regards to the accounts. You've always been able to download both in the Mac product and that doesn't change.
    3)  Yes, to get Premium Service for the Mac product, a Canadian customer could just purchase the Canadian Home and Business membership even though it doesn't say anything about Mac.  Mac will work.
    4) Multi-Currency - One's opinion about multi-currency capabilities depends on what you need.  My guess most won't be satisfied with where it's at today.  We now download currency conversion and will calculate the sidebar in a single currency.  If you try to create a linked transfer to an account of a different currency you'll get a dialog like you get in Quicken Windows and we'll let you create a transaction in the other account that converts the value into the other currency.  The downside is that it's not a linked transfer but 2 separate transactions.  This is because the Mac fundamentally doesn't support linked transfers with 2 different values.  Throughout the product we separate reports, budgets, and combined registers into separate currencies but don't let you merge them into a single currency.
    5) Quicken Windows import - We definitely have a bad bug where linked transfers to accounts if different currencies mess up the balances.  This will be fixed in the 5.4.4 release.  Again, the Mac fundamentally doesn't support linked transfers of different currencies so on import we're going to break the link and keep the transactions as 2 separate transactions and the category will be changed to Transfer.  This means the balances will be correct.
    6) Security prices in US Dollars - I'm going to have to investigate that a little more to better understand what's going on.  We get our security prices from a service called Markit On Demand which is the same service as Quicken Windows.  If you pick from TSE or VSE I would have thought the prices would be in Canadian currency but it sounds like they are in US.  MH, thanks for reporting this issue and I'll look into it more.
This discussion has been closed.