Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with Mojave (macOS 10.14)?

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
It seems Apple has announced today @WWDCthat macOS 10.14 (Mojave) will definitely be the last version to support 32-bit applications. 
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/05/mojave-last-macos-release-to-support-32-bit-apps/

This suggests that QM2007 might still run on macOS 10.14, at least theoretically. Time will tell once it is released in final form.

This discussion thread is to capture user's experiences with running QM2007 on Mojave (macOS 10.14). Please record your info below, indicating what issues or successes you are having.

Click FOLLOW above to be sure to get updated info on user results.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Comments

• jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Tonight I installed Mojave 10.14 Beta on an external drive. I opened QM2007.  All accounts and past transactions seem intact. The problems began with newly entered data. 

1)  Downloaded today's security quotes. A popup appeared saying the prices could not be saved. Quit the program, re-opened, and today's quotes had indeed disappeared. Repeated the process several times to verify. All past quotes and transaction history are intact.

2)  Tried entering new transactions in different account registers. A similar popup saying the transaction could not be saved appeared.  However, upon quitting and reopening the program, the new transactions were retained.

Obviously this is just a Beta release, and we'll have to hope future updates may correct these issues.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    jlgg said:

Tonight I installed Mojave 10.14 Beta on an external drive. I opened QM2007.  All accounts and past transactions seem intact. The problems began with newly entered data. 

1)  Downloaded today's security quotes. A popup appeared saying the prices could not be saved. Quit the program, re-opened, and today's quotes had indeed disappeared. Repeated the process several times to verify. All past quotes and transaction history are intact.

2)  Tried entering new transactions in different account registers. A similar popup saying the transaction could not be saved appeared.  However, upon quitting and reopening the program, the new transactions were retained.

Obviously this is just a Beta release, and we'll have to hope future updates may correct these issues.

Thanks for the first feedback. Are you running QM2007 on an APFS formatted drive or HFS+ (Mac OS Extended)?

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    jlgg said:

Running on APFS formatted drive. I was already using APFS and running under High Sierra without issue except for the widely noted automatic back-up issues.

It is my understanding that Mojave 10.14 will automatically convert all HFS+ drives to AFPS, so it may not be possible to run Quicken 2007 on an HFS+ drive in Mojave. I can't verify this.

If someone has success in doing this, I would be interested in knowing how they accomplished installing Mojave on an HFS+ partition.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    jlgg said:

Well, there's the possibility that it will behave differently if the data file is on an HFS+ external drive, or an HFS+ partition of an APFS drive (assuming the latter is even allowed by Mojave). And there's also the possibility that the problems observed so far have nothing to do with APFS. Or that subsequent iterations of Mojave will work better with Quicken 2007. Many variables...

Nonetheless, those sticking with Quicken 2007 for a bit longer might be wise to update their Mac to the latest version of High Sierra by August, and then skip upgrading to Mojave and beyond. Meanwhile, hopefully, the next year or so will bring enough enhancements to the modern Quicken to allow most of us to finally let go of Quicken 2007. (One can hope, can't one?)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    jlgg said:

Converting to APFS is the default in beta 1 with no options to override. But IIRC, the same was true with High Sierra then Apple added the option. Only time will tell.

• jacobs
    edited June 2018
    jlgg said:

Apple clearly wants to move everything forward to APFS, so it's unlikely they'll provide an option not to on fusion boot drives unless they again run into any problems they can't solve by the release date. I'd guess they've worked out the issues from a year ago.

One question, in terms of Quicken 2007, is whether Mojave still supports creating HFS+ external drives and or HFS+ partitions on an APFS-formatted drive. And another is whether anything other than automatic backups is affected by being on an HFS+ drive versus an APFS drive. (That is, there may be other issues with Quicken 2007 on Mojave that are not related to the drive's format.)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    jlgg said:

Agreed. We will have to wait and see which direction they take.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    I also upgraded to the Mojave beta (build 18A314k) and Quicken opened with no problem. I added a transaction to 2 different accounts, both times getting the not able to save message. When I closed and reopened Quicken, the transactions were, indeed, gone. Now every time I try to open Quicken, it quits instantly. I installed Quicken 2007 on my laptop with High Sierra (10.13.5) and tried to open my original file. Neither my original file, nor any of the backups will open on the laptop. I get an Unable To Load error on every file I try. As of now, I have no Quicken and no data. Any ideas?
  • jacobs
    edited June 2018

I also upgraded to the Mojave beta (build 18A314k) and Quicken opened with no problem. I added a transaction to 2 different accounts, both times getting the not able to save message. When I closed and reopened Quicken, the transactions were, indeed, gone. Now every time I try to open Quicken, it quits instantly. I installed Quicken 2007 on my laptop with High Sierra (10.13.5) and tried to open my original file. Neither my original file, nor any of the backups will open on the laptop. I get an Unable To Load error on every file I try. As of now, I have no Quicken and no data. Any ideas?

Backups.

If you don't have backups, and you're using an early beta of a new operating system, which always has problem of some sort, then you really pushed your luck -- maybe too far.

Hopefully you have a backup copy of your data file from before this Mojave test, as well as a backup of the Quicken program. Make a copies of them and put them on your laptop, and the Quicken 2007 application and your pre-Mojave data file should work fine there.
  • Scott Saylor
    Scott Saylor Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I'm running QM 2018 5.6.3 (Build 56.22447.100) and recently installed Mac OS Mojave 10.14 Beta (18A314k) on a late 2014 Mac Mini 2.6 GHz i5. The root drive was converted to APFS but 3 external Seagate USB drives (media, backup & spare) were left alone in HFS+. The media drive was mounted in the upgrade (presumably because of iTunes & Photos libraries) but the backup and spare drives were left unmounted. I just mounted them both and am doing a backup so it looks like everything is functional for me.  
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018

I'm running QM 2018 5.6.3 (Build 56.22447.100) and recently installed Mac OS Mojave 10.14 Beta (18A314k) on a late 2014 Mac Mini 2.6 GHz i5. The root drive was converted to APFS but 3 external Seagate USB drives (media, backup & spare) were left alone in HFS+. The media drive was mounted in the upgrade (presumably because of iTunes & Photos libraries) but the backup and spare drives were left unmounted. I just mounted them both and am doing a backup so it looks like everything is functional for me.  

Scott, this thread is about Quicken 2007 compatibility with Mojave. There's another thread here where users are posting about their experiences with Quicken 2018 and the Mojave beta.
  • Scott Saylor
    Scott Saylor Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Right. Previous posts questioned whether or not the older version could be installed on an external HFS+ external drive. The install does NOT convert any external drives to AFPS so it should be possible to install on a HFS+ external drive. Sorry I wasn’t clear.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2018

Ah, got it; I was thrown off by your mention of Quicken 2018, which has no problem with APFS hard drives. For the Quicken 2007 folks, thanks for confirming Mojave leaves HFS+ external hard drives untouched... at least as of this beta.
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I installed the latest Mojave Beta tonight on an external drive formatted with AFPS.  Quicken 2007 is now running exactly as it has been in High Sierra. The issues I had on earlier betas with Quicken not saving new transactions and downloaded quotes is fixed. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    jlgg said:

I installed the latest Mojave Beta tonight on an external drive formatted with AFPS.  Quicken 2007 is now running exactly as it has been in High Sierra. The issues I had on earlier betas with Quicken not saving new transactions and downloaded quotes is fixed. 

Thx for sharing!

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    jlgg said:

BTW, can you confirm if Mojave supports creating HFS+ (MacOS Extended) partitions, e.g. using Disk Utilities?

• jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    jlgg said:

Disk Utility in Mojave does have the ability to format external drives as HFS+.  

What is not clear to me is if there is any way to run the Mojave installer without it converting the drive to APFS.  When I installed the Mojave Beta, it was on an external drive already formatted as APFS.  I do not have a spare drive to test with.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    jlgg said:

thx :-)

• Scott Schmidt
    Scott Schmidt Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

Any further updates on QM2007 and Mojave compatibility now that Mojave has been released?  Comments please!
  • Scott Saylor
    Scott Saylor Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

Works fine. I’ve been using it all the way through the OS X Public Beta program and it never faltered. As always, just make sure you have a good backup before you upgrade.
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

Works fine for me.  Same as in High Sierra. (Won't automatically back-up files).  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

Excellent news! Thx for the update.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

Any more info on the Mojave installer having an option to NOT format the drive with APFS?

• jacobs
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

@smayer97, the Mojave installer does not have any way to prevent the conversion of any internal hard drive -- fusion drives are now included -- to APFS.

There are ways to get there, however, depending on how much work you want to do. There's a command line method of starting the Mojave installer with a command to not format the drive to AFPS. You could also install Mojave on an external drive, which won't be converted, and then use disk cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to copy your external hard drive to your internal hard drive.

Here's a good article on the options. It was written for High Sierra, but it's likely Mojave behaves similarly.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

I recall there being an option in High Sierra installer to prevent APFS conversion but I guess at some point they took it out and clearly it is not there for Mojave either.

Thanks for the link to the article. The part about external and/or HDD's not being automatically converted makes it possible to use that trick to avoid conversion to APFS. I was under the impression that this would become the default for ALL drives, now that Fusion drives are supported. So I am looking for confirmation...

So now the question is does the Mojave installer NOT automatically convert HDD's and/or external drives to APFS?

• jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

They are talking about this on MacRumors mojave forum.  Here's the link

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mojave-and-hfs-it-can-be-done.2125194/
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

Thanks...mostly just repeats what the other article states. Does not clarify if in all situations drives are converted to APFS. I have posed the question there...we'll see if I get an answer.

• Scott Saylor
    Scott Saylor Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

If you have HPF formatted external drives, the Mojave install should leave them alone. I have 2 external USB drives - one for Time Machine Backups, and one for iTunes media files. Neither of these drives were converted to APFS during the Mojave Public Beta install. Only the root/system drive was converted. As a side note, the installer did leave the 2 external USB drives unmounted, but that was easy to resolve.

Hope this helps.
  • Scott Saylor
    Scott Saylor Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

PS , I haven’t tried formatting a new drive yet but I wouldn’t be surprised to see APFS as the default.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

So that shows that BETA does not do this for external drives. Would be good to get confirmation on the public release.

Are all your external drives HDD or are any SSDs?

Also, how does Mojave installation handle an upgrade for an HDD with macOS, either internal or external?

So to summarize:
    1. SSD, Fusion internal drives with macOS ARE automatically converted to APFS.
    2. unknown is whether internal SSDs or HDDs without macOS are automatically converted to APFS
    3. unknown is whether external SSDs or HDDs with macOS are automatically converted to APFS
    4. unknown is whether external SSDs or HDDs without macOS are automatically converted to APFS

This discussion has been closed.