I still use Quicken 2003 on an old mac and plan to buy the 2019 version to run on my current laptop.

How do I import all my data to the 2019 version?

Best Answers

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    To import (convert) all your data from an older version of Quicken to a newer version of Quicken, all you need to do is restore your data from your most recent backup.

Select "File" from the menu bar, then select "Backup and Restore" then "Restore from Backup File." 
    NOTE:
    Since Quicken 2003 is a very old version, you are going to experience some problems converting so you will have to perform some additional steps. The following link provides the information
    you need.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

Read the instruction and  scroll down to: 

Converting a data file from Quicken 98 - 2003

When you open that link you will see 
    1. Download Quicken 2004 for Windows.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, the pricing you see for QM2007 is not overpriced per se...it is actually just the original pricing... But that is all moot... what really matters is what value you place on your existing data.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    smayer97 said:
    Also note that QMac can theoretically also convert QM2006 and QM2006 data files as they are the same data structure.
    As you note, it has worked for some people but not others. Quicken never supported importing from Quicken 2006 files. I know of people on this site who in the past year have tried to import Quicken 2006 files into Quicken 2019 and failed -- but then succeeded when they subsequently got Quicken 2007.

So when I'm outlining a path to successfully moving from Quicken 2003 to Quicken 2019, I am not going to recommend Quicken 2006 as a direct gateway because it has a mixed track record of working. What I know works are the options I described above. If the user happens to find Quicken 2006 somewhere (I didn't see one currently available on eBay), he could try seeing if Quicken 2019 will import the 2006 data file, but should be prepared to have to purchase Quicken 2007 in addition to be sure of making it to Quicken 2019.

smayer97 said:
    BTW, the pricing you see for QM2007 is not overpriced per se...it is actually just the original pricing...
    No, Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible -- what's being sold on the eBay site I referenced -- was sold only as a $15 upgrade to existing Quicken users. It was not sold as a new product at full price. Because this same seller has had this listing on eBay for a long time, I believe they display the copy of an packing slip from Intuit -- which has been clearly doctored in Photoshop -- and are simply copying the software repeatedly onto flash drives for sale at a rather high price. It's not super-ethical, but for someone who desperately needs a copy of Quicken 2007 LC, it's a viable lifeline.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    jacobs said:
    smayer97 said:
    Also note that QMac can theoretically also convert QM2006 and QM2006 data files as they are the same data structure.
    As you note, it has worked for some people but not others. 
    As you have acknowledged, the caveat has been provided, so I am not sure what the contention is. I'm providing the OP alternatives to navigate this challenging position because who knows to what the OP has access (e.g they may have a friend with an old version). They might be a lucky one.

jacobs said:
    smayer97 said:
    BTW, the pricing you see for QM2007 is not overpriced per se...it is actually just the original pricing...
    No, Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible -- what's being sold on the eBay site I referenced -- was sold only as a $15 upgrade to existing Quicken users. It was not sold as a new product at full price. Because this same seller has had this listing on eBay for a long time, I believe they display the copy of an packing slip from Intuit -- which has been clearly doctored in Photoshop -- and are simply copying the software repeatedly onto flash drives for sale at a rather high price. It's not super-ethical, but for someone who desperately needs a copy of Quicken 2007 LC, it's a viable lifeline.
    You are actually only partially correct as you are leaving out an important piece. QM2007 LC was officially only targeted and supposed to be sold to users who already owned QM2007 PPC, though in practice that was not always the case (it was even given for free by Quicken as an intermediary version with the purchase of "modern" QMac). So technically, to obtain QM2007 the user would have paid $55 for the PPC version (at least that is what I paid many many years ago) then $15 for the LC version for a total of $70.

And of course, buying software on eBay is always caveat emptor. 

So, all this is just academic discussion... in the end the OP has to decide what it is all worth to them. Again, just presenting options.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    @RobbieSchlosser Notwithstanding the migration issues, differences and limitations with Quicken 2019 documented in @smayer97's post above, I strongly recommend you follow through with moving off Quicken 2003 as soon as possible. Quicken 2019 is certainly not perfect, and it still lacks some features which were in earlier versions of Quicken -- but staying with your current Quicken 2003 is, in my opinion, not a good option. Your old Mac may not continue to run indefinitely, and there is a limited time window* where purchasing Quicken 2007 will continue to be a viable bridge forward to the modern Quicken Mac. You've been living on borrowed time for a long time; my advice is not to wait much longer, even if Quicken 2019 is currently missing some functionality you might want.

(*The version of Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible that is being sold on eBay requires installation of a free version 16.2.4 upgrade to run on any macOS beyond El Capitan (10.11), and the availability of that upgrade is likely to disappear sometime this fall.)
  • jacobs
    @RobbieSchlosser Not that I'm trying to be a sales agent for some unknown person on eBay, but I got an email from eBay telling me that the copy of Quicken 2015 that I had looked at while writing the post to you above has been reduced to $10.99 with free shipping. If you're still looking for a path forward, I'd suggest jumping on this because it's not always easy to find and it's a minimal cost. (Then you can see if you can find Quicken 2007 for less than the one I wrote about.)
This discussion has been closed.