Quicken for Mac v5.12 Released

Comments

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > Tom, can you describe in more detail about what you're doing?  ...

Scheduled transaction - wanting to NOT FLAG as PAID to make changes on the NEXT transaction but to change some, but not all, of the splits AND have the total adjust for any differences, i.e. (sum of all splits yields transaction amount) Why do I have to mark as paid and then get to make changes - when in point of fact the transaction has yet to be completed (prior to scheduled date.) Having to mark as paid is a crutch for lousy (or lazy) programming and was not necessary in previous versions.
    Tom, you could never edit the next instance in previous versions.  We didn't have that capability.  This is new in 5.12.  If you didn't Mark the transaction as Paid then you must have been editing the Scheduled Transaction Model which affects all future scheduled transactions.  You can still do this by clicking on Edit All Instances and then clicking on the Splits button.

Because of the confusion between editing the instance and editing the model, we decided to make the experience different so customers wouldn't get confused between the 2.  Since editing the model is more rare, we decided to move that into a sheet so it's harder to accidentally edit the model. 

Editing the instance is done in the register.  I think the other issue customers are expressing is that they want to edit more fields of the instance than just the Date and Amount like the splits. This makes sense but isn't currently supported primarily because Quicken Windows and the Quicken Cloud don't support it.

So in summary, to work with Quicken Mac in the same way you used to requires a slightly different path but isn't that different. 1) Double Click on scheduled instance. 2) Click on Edit All Instances 3) Click on Splits.
    The assumption that editing the model is more rare seems miss-infomed. I do it all the time so that the model: a) reflects the most current information about the upcoming bill, and b) provides insight into changing amounts such as month-to-month variations in billing (telephone, electric, gas and even newspaper). Note: I am an obsessive data collector. AND those money-grabbing services I use are always jacking up the charges.

The problem with the new way of doing edits to the model is that it involves many more steps, and it is an unfamiliar presentation vis a vis the compact straightforward register presentation that I have come to know and love with the modern Quicken for Mac product. (Note: I am glad we no longer have the two-row check register. The flexibility of the simple tabular register is so much easier to use.)

For instance, to update the model for my utility bill: In the past, I would just open the scheduled transaction and enter the new values in the various fields. Now, I must open the scheduled transaction, click Edit All Instances, enter the new total Amount, then click on the disclosure triangle so I can enter a Memo, then click on the Category (splits) field so I can update those fields, and, finally, click OK to close out of splits, then click on Save to close out of the sheets editor.

I will grant that there is an element of just needing to learn a new way of doing things. But I feel the new way is greatly inferior to the simple register presentation. Basically, there is now two ways one must use to edit a transaction.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    For auto-categorization issues, customers should look in Preferences : Connected Services and make sure the "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" checkbox is checked.  If it's not checked, we don't do auto-categorization. 
    But that only works with Quicken's pre-defined categories, right? It seems what many users expect, or want, is to be able to categorize a transaction the way they want, and to have Quicken "learn" and do it the same time they have a transaction from the same Payee. 
    jacobs, thanks for point this out. Absolutely that is what this user has been asking for! I guess I SHOULD NOT check "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" if Quicken will go back to using its categories and not the ones I created (which fit my way of thinking)?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I just tried your alternative universe solution to editing and all I can get to is a details dialog window. This dialog has Details and Schedule - nothing more and not a clue of a button for splits. 
    @Tom Anderson The split button is right there on the Details pane. Here's what it looks like if there's a single category and no split:

Clicking the Splits button there will open a new pane so you can split the transaction

If the transaction already has a spklit, it wil look like this:

Again, clicking that Splits button will open a pane to edit the split.

Also note that at the bottom left of that pane, there's a disclose triangle to be able to view/edit the Memo/Notes, Tags and Action fields, if you want to. (Why do we have to click another time to open this, insead of it just being visible in the first place? Poor design choice, in my opinion.)

If you just want to edit the next transaction, the intended behavior is to mark it as "Paid" and edit it however you want. You describe this as a "crutch". I think the problem is simply the "Paid" nomenclature. If the button wasn't called "Paid" and was instead called something like "Accept/Edit Next Scheduled Transaction" (obviously that's too wordy), but functioned exactly the same as it currently does, how is that problematic? The transaction can be edited easily because it's now detached from the future scheduled series, the date remains in the future, so it's not showing that it's something that already happened (e.g. " a bill which was paid"), it's showing something that is going to happen in the future. I just think "Paid" is what trips people up.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Dennis said:
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > For auto-categorization issues, customers should look in Preferences : Connected Services and make sure the "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" checkbox is checked.  If it's not checked, we don't do auto-categorization. 

This has had no effect in improving auto categorization for me. I have to change categories on a few transactions every time. It will not learn.
    @Dennis Note that Marcus didn't say it will learn -- because it doesn't. It's not designed to. That's the flaw currently. If you turn on the checkbox, it will categorize based on whatever crowdsourced data and algorithms the back-end server comes up with. If it picks something wrong, it will be wrong every time. This is why Quicken needs to allow user to memorize transacitons they have manually categorized and then use that "rule" to apply to future transacitons from the same Payee.
  • jacobs
    Chris said:
    Very hard for me to comprehend why the Reports are still a bit shy in comparison to Windows version. Takes a long time between updates/costly subscription and still lacking rudimentary functions.
    They're behind because it's taking a long time to add functionality to the reports. They still don't offer all the functionality Quicken 2007 for Mac or Quicken Windows users expect. Some of the reports from the old Quicken Essentials days haven't yet beeen re-coded using the modern reports engine. All of which is frustrating. On the flip side, compared to two years ago, the reports have improved by leaps and bounds. Progress is definitely being made -- it just comes slowly. My guess is that the Mac development team has just one or two developers working on reports, so there's only so much that gets done every few months. 
    Chris said:
    Try to do a "old-school" Net Worth Report. i.e. Accounts and Totals. That is unachievable!
    I'm not saying this is great, but if you use the Net Worth Over Time report, click Customize, set the date range to Last Month or This Month, and click the triangles to open up the detault Assets and Liabilities lines to show the individual accounts you want, does that not get you pretty much the report you want? 
  • Chris27
    Chris27 Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Jacobs

Thanks for taking the time. NWOT Report works for my purposes after a few tweaks and renaming. Takes two pages by default. It's a bandaid, however, acceptable.

Thanks again.
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > If you just want to edit the next transaction, the intended behavior is to mark it as "Paid" and edit it however you want. You describe this as a "crutch". I think the problem is simply the "Paid" nomenclature. If the button wasn't called "Paid" and was instead called something like "Accept/Edit Next Scheduled Transaction" (obviously that's too wordy), but functioned exactly the same as it currently does, how is that problematic? The transaction can be edited easily because it's now detached from the future scheduled series, the date remains in the future, so it's not showing that it's something that already happened (e.g. " a bill which was paid"), it's showing something that is going to happen in the future. I just think "Paid" is what trips people up.

Jacobs - I think Tom Anderson may be concerned with the difference between a future scheduled transaction and a future paid transaction. Marking a future scheduled transaction as paid prevents it from being matched when new transactions are downloaded via Quicken Connect or Web Connect. It would cause such transactions to be duplicated which is not ideal.

On the usability side, I agree that the new model editing dialog for scheduled transactions is awkward and a step backward from the more intuitive in-line register-style editing. The tags/memo disclosure triangle is not required and splits editing is less user-friendly.
  • jacobs
    edited August 2019
    s2kdriver said:
    > @jacobs said:
    Jacobs - I think Tom Anderson may be concerned with the difference between a future scheduled transaction and a future paid transaction. Marking a future scheduled transaction as paid prevents it from being matched when new transactions are downloaded via Quicken Connect or Web Connect. It would cause such transactions to be duplicated which is not ideal.
    Thanks. I mostly enter transactions manually, so I can't verify this… but are you sure that's so? My understanding was that marking a scheduled transaction as paid simply detaches it from the schedule of ongoign transactions and makes it a stand-alone transaction -- just as if you had entered it manually. And as such, it should be able to be matched with a download. At worst, can't you simply drag the manual transaction over the downloaded transaction so Quicken will match them, a spart of reviewign your downloaded transactions?

Again, I'm not trying to say the current user interface is optimal; I'm just trying to see it it can be used practically just by thinking about things a little differently than the words may suggest. 
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    I mark scheduled transactions as paid on a regular basis, and when the matching transaction downloads from the bank they definitely still auto match whether it was a scheduled transaction before marking it as paid or whether it was a manual transaction that wasn’t scheduled. 
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Austin said:
    I mark scheduled transactions as paid on a regular basis, and when the matching transaction downloads from the bank they definitely still auto match whether it was a scheduled transaction before marking it as paid or whether it was a manual transaction that wasn’t scheduled. 
    I let most transactions download. However, what Austin describes is my experience for scheduled checks. I have to mark them "paid" before QM will print them. QM matches them perfectly when they clear the bank. 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
     The way I understand it when marking a schedule transaction as paid it does decouple it from the scheduling trail of events.  What the item is actually paid and I download the transactions it matches them no problem. 
  • willi1
    willi1 Member ✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > When I talk about memorized transactions I'm referring to both the functionality to auto-fill fields of the transaction based on memorized sets of information including the category for downloaded transactions and to present these sets of information when creating new manual transactions.  For example, you can define 3 sets of information (memorized transactions) for Amazon:
    > 1) Category = Electronics & Software, Tag = Personal
    > 2) Category = Electronics & Software (Business), Tag = Business and
    > 3) Category = Office Supplies (Business), Tag = Business
    >
    > When we download Amazon, we'll use an algorithm to pick one of these groups and most likely I think we will pick the last one used but we could also pick the one used most often.  If we get it wrong the user will be able to click on an arrow to display all 3 options to pick from to quickly fill in the category and other important information.  
    >
    > We will use memorized transactions to define categories for downloaded transactions based on renamed payees overriding any generic auto-categorization done via our aggregation service.  Does that make sense?

Is there a way to have a category that has previously been chosen in error but now shows up as one of the 3 options to pick from, in your example, so it doesn't show up again?
  • jacobs
    willi said:
    Is there a way to have a category that has previously been chosen in error but now shows up as one of the 3 options to pick from, in your example, so it doesn't show up again?
    I think the goal is that you will be able to memorize a transaction, and Quicken will then use that as the template for future transacitons from the same Payee. Exactly how this will all work is something we'll have to just wait and see. Marcus was vague -- probably intentionally -- about where they are in the process of designing and implementing what he described; my reading between the lines was that they're working on it but that it's not right around the corner.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    For auto-categorization issues, customers should look in Preferences : Connected Services and make sure the "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" checkbox is checked.  If it's not checked, we don't do auto-categorization. 
    But that only works with Quicken's pre-defined categories, right? It seems what many users expect, or want, is to be able to categorize a transaction the way they want, and to have Quicken "learn" and do it the same time they have a transaction from the same Payee. 
    Yes, but I wanted to make sure people checked that first because this is an easy fix.  Also, to be specific, this doesn't work for people who import or convert from 2007 because 2007 didn't have that capability so from New Quicken's perspective all 2007 categories are user-defined. 

In regards to user-defined categories, Quicken remembers the last payee and category pair for every transaction and then uses that for future downloaded transactions.  I personally didn't know this wasn't working for people but our lead tester said he's aware of it but hasn't been able to reproduce it reliably.  Anyway, I don't think we would invest a lot of time in fixing old technology and would instead look forward to memorized transactions to fix this for people.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    RCinNJ said:
    jacobs said:
    jacobs, thanks for point this out. Absolutely that is what this user has been asking for! I guess I SHOULD NOT check "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" if Quicken will go back to using its categories and not the ones I created (which fit my way of thinking)?
    I would suggest an alternative. Having Quicken auto-categorize is a huge time-saver.  If you don't like the Quicken default category names then rename them.  For example, if you don't like Food & Dining: Fast Food then rename it to something else and move it to another location.  For example, you could move Fast Food under a new category called Discretionary and then rename it to "Greasy Places I Shouldn't Eat" and when McDonald's get downloaded Quicken's auto-categorization engine will auto-categorize it under "Greasy Places I shouldn't Eat". Under-the-hood there is a code assigned to that category which allows auto-categorization to work so even if you've change the name it will continue to work.  But it won't work if you delete it.  Just a suggestion until we have memorized transactions.
  • willi1
    willi1 Member ✭✭✭
    @Jacob

"Is there a way to have a category that has previously been chosen in error but now shows up as one of the 3 options to pick from, in your example, so it doesn't show up again?"

Thanks, Jacob. I was asking about way to remove 'mistakes' from the suggested list based on latest transactions, as I have one particular person that screws up continually, and I thought perhaps I could delete the wrong ones thereby cutting down on mistakes in future, thereby saving my sanity. LOL
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Don Awalt said:
    @Quicken Marcus have the BoughtX and SoldX transaction types been implemented in Mac, or at least will they convert properly if migrating from QWin? The last time I tried a conversion from the Windows version my transaction registers were so out of balance from 20 years of these transaction types there was no chance of having a workable file without starting over and giving up transaction history. Thanks!
    We have not added the boughtx or soldx types from Quicken Windows but I thought we converted better than you described since this can be represented by 2 separate transactions - one for the buy and the other for the transfer.  Are your accounts single-mutual fund accounts or a 401K account without cash?  It's possible we may have problems with these types of accounts on import but I don't know specifically.
    @Quicken Marcus
    This has been a known conversion problem for years (I started documenting this specific issue since Mar 2016)! This is a BIG obstacle that many QWin users STILL complain about that prevents them from converting because the ONLY way to handle this is to remove the BuyX and SellX transactions (for some, there are too many transactions to manage manually). I documented this in the following places: 
    Even @J_Mike can attest to this.

I am surprised that you are not more aware of the issues around this. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RCinNJ said:
    jacobs said:
    I would suggest an alternative. Having Quicken auto-categorize is a huge time-saver.  If you don't like the Quicken default category names then rename them.  For example, if you don't like Food & Dining: Fast Food then rename it to something else and move it to another location.  For example, you could move Fast Food under a new category called Discretionary and then rename it to "Greasy Places I Shouldn't Eat" and when McDonald's get downloaded Quicken's auto-categorization engine will auto-categorize it under "Greasy Places I shouldn't Eat". Under-the-hood there is a code assigned to that category which allows auto-categorization to work so even if you've change the name it will continue to work.  But it won't work if you delete it.  Just a suggestion until we have memorized transactions.
    Of course this does not help those users that have migrated their data from previous versions already using their own categorization. 

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > (Quote)
    > Thanks. I mostly enter transactions manually, so I can't verify this… but are you sure that's so? My understanding was that marking a scheduled transaction as paid simply detaches it from the schedule of ongoign transactions and makes it a stand-alone transaction -- just as if you had entered it manually. And as such, it should be able to be matched with a download.

Well, I stand corrected. I download almost all my transactions automatically and enter very few manually. I was not aware that Quicken would match downloads against manual transactions. I thought this only worked with scheduled transactions. I guess it was pretty silly of me to not realize it, and thanks Jacobs for pointing this out. Good to learn something new.
  • ninaz
    ninaz Mac Beta Beta
    @Concordman Thanks for responding about renaming past transactions. After you said that I went back and noticed the little down arrow. That works, but it sure is not intuitive. That arrow looks like it is just part of the dialogue box, not that it has a function. Maybe a screen shot for something like that? Or is there one and I missed it?
  • ninaz
    ninaz Mac Beta Beta
    I noticed that when you click on the view columns where you can check which columns you want to see, it comes up with a lot of the column names missing. I did it several times and then I saw the names, so I didn't mention it. But tonight I looked again and again not all the names were there. However, if you scroll down to another account and click it, it does not switch to that second account and if you go back to the View menu with the first account highlighted, the names are there. It kind of shows the second account in gray. I know this sounds bizarre. Anyone else notice this? I did try closing the app and reopening it. It still happens and it happens in both of the files I have.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evd said:
    I installed Version 5.12.2 (Build 512.29221.100) yesterday, and I regret to say that this is a very bad version. So many obvious problems that it looks like it was released without testing.
    For example; category totals are wrong when using accounts with different currencies ($ and Euro), after syncing my Amex carts the balance is wrong.
    This is not worthy of my annual subscription payment. Deteriorating quality and still important functions missing (e.g. automatically adjust credit car monthly payment to pay full balance).
    Can I roll back to the previous verion until the 5.12 works?
    If you are mixing transactions with different currencies on the same report, QMac still does not have true multi-currency support. Please confirm.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    Yes, but I wanted to make sure people checked that first because this is an easy fix.  Also, to be specific, this doesn't work for people who import or convert from 2007 because 2007 didn't have that capability so from New Quicken's perspective all 2007 categories are user-defined. 

In regards to user-defined categories, Quicken remembers the last payee and category pair for every transaction and then uses that for future downloaded transactions.  I personally didn't know this wasn't working for people but our lead tester said he's aware of it but hasn't been able to reproduce it reliably.  Anyway, I don't think we would invest a lot of time in fixing old technology and would instead look forward to memorized transactions to fix this for people.
    Am I confused or is there a discrepancy here? Aren't ALL transactions already "memorized"? Every time a transaction is entered, the Payee and related data (categorization, amount, memo, etc), the last entry is saved. Isn't the problem simply that QMac does not use that data for auto-categorization, etc? The ongoing discussion around this makes it sound like memorizing transactions is something new. 

And why can't the QM2007 migrated data also be used in the exact same way? Why is there a distinction? Isn't it all transaction data with payees, categories, amounts, memos, etc?

This whole discussion makes it sound like there are 2 (or more) parallel sets of data being maintained by QMac for ultimately the same purpose.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RCinNJ said:
     This is how I understand it, by the way I welcome all comments from the Quicken folks if I am not reading this correctly.

What I have observed using the renaming rules is if I set the feature to the Quicken name  I am able to change existing and past transactions. New transactions require that I have to use the credit card statement name .

I played with this for a little while and observed that the name provided by your credit card statement will overrule what quicken thinks/ wants to use. Hope this helps
    This confuses me. Are you saying that after I change the name to what I want for a recurring download, future downloads will use the words from the FI? If this is the case I don't see the point in changing anything. I feel I must be misunderstanding something.
    The way renaming rules work is that you can use either the Quicken Name or the Statement Name to define the rule.  Both work on downloading a transaction.  The difference is that the Quicken Name is more restrictive in that the entire Quicken Name is used to trigger the renaming.  For a Statement Name you can define portions of the name to use in the rule so you have more flexibility.   The Statement Name is the name that the bank gives the transaction and is usually quite convoluted and long sometimes spanning both the Payee Name and Memo fields.  The Quicken Name is typically the nice name that our aggregation service gives it but they don't always do a good job and they will sometimes fall back on the crazy statement name.  In any case, all rules are applied to new downloaded transactions.
    Please clarify what 'Quicken Name' and 'Statement Name' are and where they come from.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > Tom, can you describe in more detail about what you're doing?  Are you trying to edit the instance, the transaction or the scheduled transaction model?  We never allowed one to edit the instance before so this is new.  In beta, we noticed a number of people got confused between the instance and the transaction and I think this may be the case you're running into.  What you want to do to mirror previous behavior is to simply click the Mark As Paid button on the mini-toolbar to convert the scheduled transaction instance into a transaction.  Once it's a regular transaction you can work with it like any transaction.  Click details and edit splits.

Scheduled transaction - wanting to NOT FLAG as PAID to make changes on the NEXT transaction but to change some, but not all, of the splits AND have the total adjust for any differences, i.e. (sum of all splits yields transaction amount) Why do I have to mark as paid and then get to make changes - when in point of fact the transaction has yet to be completed (prior to scheduled date.) Having to mark as paid is a crutch for lousy (or lazy) programming and was not necessary in previous versions.
    Tom, you could never edit the next instance in previous versions.  We didn't have that capability.  This is new in 5.12.  If you didn't Mark the transaction as Paid then you must have been editing the Scheduled Transaction Model which affects all future scheduled transactions.  You can still do this by clicking on Edit All Instances and then clicking on the Splits button. Because of the confusion between editing the instance and editing the model, we decided to make the experience different so customers wouldn't get confused between the 2.  Since editing the model is more rare, we decided to move that into a sheet so it's harder to accidentally edit the model.  Editing the instance is done in the register.  I think the other issue customers are expressing is that they want to edit more fields of the instance than just the Date and Amount like the splits. This makes sense but isn't currently supported primarily because Quicken Windows and the Quicken Cloud don't support it. So in summary, to work with Quicken Mac in the same way you used to requires a slightly different path but isn't that different. 1) Double Click on scheduled instance. 2) Click on Edit All Instances 3) Click on Splits.
    The algorithm for editing the first occurrence is simply 3 steps:
    1. duplicate the scheduled transaction, stripping any re-occurrence info
    2. allow editing the first instance (in a familiar format, e.g. register entry)
    3. once saved, advance the recurring scheduled transaction to the next occurrence date.
    To preserve the look but yet not create confusion, all that would have been needed is that at step 2 simply present a dialogue box advising of what is being edited OR simply add a different TITLE to the editing window. This way, there is no need to "... make the experience different so customers wouldn't get confused between the 2..." After all, users are clicking on what action they want.

But that is just how I would have programmed it. Anything else is just going overboard and introduces its own set of issues. (but now that it is done, I highly doubt it will ever be changed; too much time invested at this point, with too many other priorities).

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    Under-the-hood there is a code assigned to that category which allows auto-categorization to work so even if you've change the name it will continue to work.  But it won't work if you delete it.  Just a suggestion until we have memorized transactions.
    Marcus, I had no idea these category names are programmed under-the-hood and changing the name and location would not dissociate them from the underlying code. I've probably missed it, but I've never seen this explained before. If I'd known this years ago when QM first started working this way (or when I converted from QM 2007 to 2015) I would have done this. I've never seen this explained for anyone converting from 2007. Years late hearing this! Just another example of the problems caused by having no documentation and getting information piecemeal in this Forum. 

Question: what is to prevent me from renaming a Quicken category and moving it to match a category name & location I currently use & prefer? I'm guessing there are unintended consequences?
  • Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > (Quote)
    > @Dennis Note that Marcus didn't say it will learn -- because it doesn't. It's not designed to. That's the flaw currently. If you turn on the checkbox, it will categorize based on whatever crowdsourced data and algorithms the back-end server comes up with. If it picks something wrong, it will be wrong every time. This is why Quicken needs to allow user to memorize transacitons they have manually categorized and then use that "rule" to apply to future transacitons from the same Payee.

OK. If I were to uncheck the box, will it at least use the previous instance of that payee to categorize? Even that would eliminate most of my problems with auto categorization.
  • jacobs
    @Dennis I think from what Marcus wrote above, it should work that way, but it currently doesn't… or doesn't in all cases.
  • jacobs
    willi said:
    @Jacob

"Is there a way to have a category that has previously been chosen in error but now shows up as one of the 3 options to pick from, in your example, so it doesn't show up again?"

Thanks, Jacob. I was asking about way to remove 'mistakes' from the suggested list based on latest transactions, as I have one particular person that screws up continually, and I thought perhaps I could delete the wrong ones thereby cutting down on mistakes in future, thereby saving my sanity. LOL
    @willi I think you are misunderstanding the conversation in this long thread. What Marcus described as the three cases is how he expects a future feature to work, not something that currently exists today. And since the list would include the most-recently used category and the most-frequently used category, that should be enough to get it right most of the time and preserve your sanity. But not until this feature is developed and released! ;)
  • jacobs
    Don Awalt said:
    @Quicken Marcus have the BoughtX and SoldX transaction types been implemented in Mac, or at least will they convert properly if migrating from QWin?
    We have not added the boughtx or soldx types from Quicken Windows but I thought we converted better than you described since this can be represented by 2 separate transactions - one for the buy and the other for the transfer.  Are your accounts single-mutual fund accounts or a 401K account without cash?  It's possible we may have problems with these types of accounts on import but I don't know specifically.
    @Quicken Marcus From what would-be Windows converters have reported here, I have been under the impression that BoughtX and SoldX transactions do not work in the Windows conversion. As you suggest, I was always puzzled why the converter didn't simply convert them into two transactions. In any case, you should be aware that there have been lots of complaints, and many users who simply cannot convert from Windows, because these transaction types aren't converted correctly.
This discussion has been closed.