"" Budget Error when Syncing

Help!

I'm receiving this error when syncing or doing one step update...

This no-name budget (highlighted in blue) is the problem... 

When I select it, it just selects one of the other budgets.  I can't find any way to delete it.

I've validated (File>File Operations>Validation) the file, but it didn't fix it.

Any ideas what I should do next?

Chris
Quicken user since 2014.
Using Quicken Windows Subscription on Windows 10.

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Chris Harris,

Thank you for reaching out and telling us about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

The first thing I suggest you try is to reset your cloud data by following the steps below.
    1. Go to Edit
    2. Preferences
    3. Mobile & Web
    4. Make sure sync shows it's ON and click on Reset your cloud data (see below)
    Once that is done, see if the issue still persists.

Let us know how it goes and/or if you have any additional questions!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris Harris
    Chris Harris Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Quicken Anja.  I did this, just this morning.  Unfortunately, it didn't help.  Any other ideas?

Chris
    Quicken user since 2014.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for your response.

You can try manually resetting your cloud data by deleting your cloud account from a test file and then resyncing your main data file which will create a new cloud account.

To do this, first, save a backup (just in case). Sign out of the mobile and/or web apps. Then, create a new data file (click here to view instructions, scroll down to Creating a new file). Once the new file opens, follow the steps below to remove the cloud account from your main data file.
    1. Go to Edit
    2. Preferences
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    4. Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID (#)
    5. Select the cloud account used for you main data file and click Delete
    6. Type Yes and click Delete
    After that, switch back to your main data file (click here to view instructions, scroll down to How to alternate between multiple files). Once the main file opens, follow the instructions found in the support article to resync your data. If successful, sign back in to your mobile/web app(s). You can then also delete the new file you previously created as well as it's cloud account.

I hope this helps and let me know if anything needs to be clarified.

-Quicken Anja

• Chris Harris
    Chris Harris Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Quicken Anja,

If I've already reset the account using the Preferences Method, how is "resetting it manually" any different?

I willing to try, but I don't see an option to delete it on this screen...

Reminder, I've already done this...

To me, it seems like this budget named " " that isn't really a budget is something that will need deleted from the back end of my Quicken File by someone from Quicken Support.  Something in the background tables is corrupted.

Also, in case you need it...

Chris
    Quicken user since 2014.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for the update.

Sometimes using the reset cloud data option gets blocked, therefore doing a manual reset allows you to control it instead. However, the option to show all cloud accounts and then delete will only show if you have more than one data set synced (see below), which is why you will need to create a test file first and sync it before receiving the option to delete.

Also, as explained in my previous response, even with more than one data set, the program only allows you to delete data sets that are not currently open. The currently open data set can be identified by the asterisk (*) in from of its name (see below). Which is why the test file needs to be created and synced. Once you've deleted your main data set through the test file, you can go back to your main file, resync it, then delete the data set for the test file.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

-Quicken Anja

• Chris Harris
    Chris Harris Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hi Anja,

Okay, I reset the Quicken Cloud Data manually and still get this...

What I've done so far...
    • Reset Cloud Data (via Preferences > Mobile & Web)
    • Reset Cloud Data Manually (following your instructions)
    • Validated the File (File>File Operations>Validation)

What's the next thing I should try?

Chris
    Quicken user since 2014.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Chris Harris

Thank you for the response and for letting us know the results of the previous steps.

Were you able to try to create a new data file and remove the dataset, I did not see this step listed in what you have tried so far.

Also, may I ask if you have multiple budgets or just one? If multiple, may I ask that you please open a different budget and attempt to reset the cloud once more and see if the sync is successful? 

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Dennis3769
    Dennis3769 Member ✭✭
    I am having the very same problem. Was there any solution?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Dennis3769

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have been unable to locate a solution.

If you have already completed the steps listed above, please take a moment to review the last step provided here.

May I also ask that you navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are currently running?

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Chris Harris
    Chris Harris Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Quicken_Tyka

Thanks for the help.  Here is my current build...

I tried your last step in the other post you referenced and my problem continues...

I do have multiple budgets (3).

What I've done so far...
    • Reset Cloud Data (via Preferences > Mobile & Web)
    • Reset Cloud Data Manually (following Quicken Anja's instructions)
    • Validated the File (File>File Operations>Validation)
    • Turned off sync, Did One Step Update, Restarted Computer, Turned sync back on
    • Selected a different budget, Reset Cloud Data (via Preferences > Mobile & Web)
    Any other ideas?

Aside, like the other user, this problem has also caused me to lose the budget completely in the mobile app.  Since the problem started, I haven't been able to sync/see any budget with the mobile app.  I'm sure that once the error message goes away, my budget will sync like normal.

Chris
    Quicken user since 2014.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hello @Chris Harris

Thank you for the response, although I apologize that this trouble persists.

I would next try the steps from this FAQ

1.  In the Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts section, click the blue link that says “Sign in as a different user”.  

2.  A window will open asking you to confirm that you want to sign out, type “Yes” in the box and click OK.

3.  Quicken will refresh and show a blank sign-in screen, when it does, close and re-open Quicken.  

4.  Sign in with the same Quicken ID username and password and if prompted select to “Don’t Use Mobile” and click OK.

5.  When you can see your data file again, return to the Mobile & Web tab and click Get Started to activate the sync and re-add your accounts.

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Dennis3769
    Dennis3769 Member ✭✭
    Followed above steps.

No laptop sync error now, however, No budget shows on my mobile app now!

Very frustrating.
  • Dennis3769
    Dennis3769 Member ✭✭
    In Budget name drop down I have 4 different budgets all with unique names. However a fifth budget appears as a blank. Quicken interprets this as a "" budget.

During cloud sync an error occurs : "The budget "" was not synced"

This results in no budget loaded to cloud and then no budget showing in the mobile app.

An attempt to delete all budgets on the laptop will result in a "Bugsplat crash"

Any ideas?
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    If you can select the blank budget from the drop-down, then go to Budget Actions. See if you can add a proper name. Hopefully, you should then be able to delete.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    If you haven't tried this already, I suggest you reset the name of the fifth budget: open the budget, select Budget Actions > View options > Edit budget name..., set a non-blank name, and select OK
  • Dennis3769
    Dennis3769 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I can only highlight it with the mouse. I can not select it.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's one other recent discussion about this same problem, which appears to impact two other customers.
    If data file troubleshooting does not help resolve the issue, please do contact  Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation
    Note: Your browser must allow popups from https://www.quicken.com for chat to function

• Dennis3769
    Dennis3769 Member ✭✭
    I made a test file with minimum data. Created 2 different budgets.

Synced to cloud. No errors!
    Opened mobile app. Budget WAS avaliable!

Appears orginal data file is corrupt.
    Validate and supervalidate found no errors.

Now what?
  • YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi there mine was the same with the "how to delete a blank budget" and the other case mentioned by @UKR just a few topics down. My file has no errors either, and I'm running most recent Canada version 25.24. Are you on US or Canada version @Dennis3769 ?

I have logged it with support but so far I have a very small strike rate with getting issues solved by them. So it may be another unsolved mystery for a while yet.
  • Dennis3769
    Dennis3769 Member ✭✭
    I am in the US. Everything works fine on my Quicken desktop except the blank or null budget name prevents the cloud sync to Quicken mobile.

I still do not have a solution.
  • Dennis3769
    Dennis3769 Member ✭✭
    I sent my issue in as you suggested.
  • Chris Harris
    Chris Harris Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Quicken_Tyka,

So, I followed your steps a second time (Quicken Anja also had me do this, but she called it a "Manual Reset").

After I did, I ran a One Step Update and got this error.  Although, I didn't get the ("" Budget Was Not Synced") error popup, I did get this...

For some reason, I couldn't find a way to see what the errors were; there was no "Click here to see errors" link.  After this, I ended up having to do a Preferences > Mobile & Web > Reset your cloud data.  When this had finished, the ("" Budget Was Not Synced) popup returned.

Long story short, the problem still exists.

FYI, Quicken prompted an update so now I'm at this...

Chris
    Quicken user since 2014.
  • Chris Harris
    Chris Harris Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just a general suggestion for Quicken support.  Please post a "We're combining multiple strings here." message if you do.  Otherwise, it gets really confusing for the end users until we figure out what is going on.

Good luck @Dennis3769 & @YingDave !

Does anyone know Phone Support's normal hours?  All I can find online is...

"We're closed right now.  You're calling outside our normal hours."

Chris
    Quicken user since 2014.
  • Dennis3769
    Dennis3769 Member ✭✭
    I never found a resolution to this issue. I believe support does not have one either.

I found a backup file of my data that had all my budgets and did NOT have the "" (blank) budget and then restored it and rebuilt it. It took alot of time, but Quicken seems to be working now.

Good luck all.

AND, it was hard to find my thread after all the combining.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited August 2020
    Does anyone know Phone Support's normal hours?  All I can find online is...

"We're closed right now.  You're calling outside our normal hours."
    Quicken Support's hours of operation for both phone and chat support are found and updated in this Community post.

-Quicken Anja

• YingDave
    YingDave Member ✭✭✭✭
    I too have been through these steps above clearing online data etc. Still cannot delete the blank budget and it still prevents Mobile Synch. I too have 'reported as Problem' - fingers crossed.
  • Chris Harris
    Chris Harris Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Update:  I called Quicken Support today and they had no additional troubleshooting steps that haven't already been tried in this forum post.  They confirmed that this is indeed a known bug with many users having reported it; they are working on a solution.  When fixed, the patch will be pushed out by via a future Quicken update.  So, we wait...

Chris
    Quicken user since 2014.
  • Chris Harris
    Chris Harris Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Quicken_Tyka or Quicken Anja,

Any update from Quicken on the status of this?  This is really problematic since my budget hasn't synced with the app since it began.

When I log into the app (both on Android & IOS), I get this...

Chris
    Quicken user since 2014.
This discussion has been closed.