R39.17/R39.21 Paycheck Corruption [Edited]

kingmm01
kingmm01 Member ✭✭
:s I updated to Release 39.17 and it introduced errors into my datafile. Where I had reminders with split details (eg my paycheck), it changed everything back to the breakdown in the reminder all the way back to 2018. Quicken tells me it's a known issue and wait for a patch. I'm interested in rolling back a version and then restoring a backup file. Anyone else have this problem and can suggest a solution?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and reporting this issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

I have forwarded this thread and the information you posted regarding this problem to the proper channels, and it is being investigated further. In the meantime, if you are experiencing this issue, we ask that you please submit a problem report by navigating to Help > Report a problem. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though I apologize that you're experiencing this.

Our teams are aware and have opened an investigation into this issue, though we do not have an ETA on a resolution at this time. In the meantime, you can revert back to version R38.30 by downloading and installing it through this link here.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

We have just received an update that a patch is scheduled to be released tomorrow, which should address this issue.

The next patch will 'fix' this issue by preventing it from happening again. However, it will not retroactively fix current data that may be corrupted. You will need to install the new patch and restore a backup to fix currently corrupted paycheck entries, unfortunately.

If you do not wish to wait for the next patch to be released, then we advise reverting back to R38.30 and restoring a backup. You can download and install R38.30 through this link here.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    To revert to an earlier release, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, update by applying the appropriate Mondo Patch, and restore a data file saved prior to updating from the earlier patch release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows, https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has, or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • Umesh Patel
    Umesh Patel Member ✭✭✭
    I have a similar issue, how to go to previous version?
  • pyieh
    pyieh Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    same thing is happening to me. all my paycheck entries new and old with split transactions are corrupted. there are duplicate split entries within the transaction and the numbers don't add up. One additional issue I have is when I close the split transaction window without saving/enter by canceling, Quicken crashes. this is happening with my most recent Quicken file, as well as restored files for backup files from different times.

And I literally just renewed my membership yesterday. The app was just getting more stable....sigh...
  • Amo1
    Amo1 Member ✭✭✭
    Sherlock- when I spoke with Quicken customer service yesterday they told me that there was no way to revert back to the previous version. I was on the phone for over 2 1/2 hours with them, including 2 supervisors, and while all of them said different things about the issue I was calling about, they all said that I could not go back to the previous version of quicken. Your post above makes it seem pretty easy to do so. Curious why Quicken customer support would not have known how to do this? I am quite positive that the issue is a software issue and not an issue on my end, as data backups that I know were correct are now not correct. Seems ridiculous that Quicken would not just help me revert back to the previous version if that would solve my problem. Any insight would be appreciated.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Amo1 When you deal with customer service you have to keep in mind that they can only recommend what is dictated by Quicken Inc policy.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Amo1 said:
    Sherlock- when I spoke with Quicken customer service yesterday they told me that there was no way to revert back to the previous version. I was on the phone for over 2 1/2 hours with them, including 2 supervisors, and while all of them said different things about the issue I was calling about, they all said that I could not go back to the previous version of quicken. Your post above makes it seem pretty easy to do so. Curious why Quicken customer support would not have known how to do this? I am quite positive that the issue is a software issue and not an issue on my end, as data backups that I know were correct are now not correct. Seems ridiculous that Quicken would not just help me revert back to the previous version if that would solve my problem. Any insight would be appreciated.
    I cannot explain why customer service would say there is no way to revert.  Perhaps they know their instructions, as written, do not work reliably:  https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    Amo1 said:
    I cannot explain why customer service would say there is no way to revert.  Perhaps they know their instructions, as written, do not work reliably:  https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has
    I love how Quicken Inc provides things like this, and then doesn't keep them up to date.

Also, see my post here, which talks about one of the biggest problems with that article:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909650/im-curious-to-see-if-people-keep-old-copies-of-the-quicken-install-program
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • kingmm01
    kingmm01 Member ✭✭
    Chris_QPW ….Bazinga…that solution worked and my last backup was only two days old.
  • pyieh
    pyieh Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I uninstalled Quicken via Control Panel and reinstalled it using the installer I used originally to install the app a year ago. The installer updated me to R38.30 only. And the app also said it was the latest version when checked. I then restored a backup file from before the upgrade to R39.17 and the all the salary entries with split transactions came back. But then the sync to Quicken Mobile broke (HTTP-504 server side error). I had to disconnect several accounts from online update just to get them to connect Quicken mobile sync. And now I am about to reset the cloud data to see if the error goes away.

Quicken Mobile has always been difficult to get working for me.
  • kingmm01
    kingmm01 Member ✭✭
    I gave up on Quicken Mobile…too fragile.
  • Umesh Patel
    Umesh Patel Member ✭✭✭
    Agreed Quicken mobile is useless!

I downgrade my version from downloading it here

https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.38.30MPatch.EXE

then restore from the previous version.
  • Matthew Smith
    Matthew Smith Member ✭✭
    I had the same problem with R39.17. I found a Mondo patch for R38.29 in PRODUCT RELEASES AND ANNOUNCEMENTS: WINDOWS to revert to the previous version under Release Notes: https://qwin-whitelisting.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/QW2018/US/Patches/mondo_27.1.38.26_27.1.38.29.EXE
    Matthew M. Smith
  • AlexS328
    AlexS328 Member
    I also had the same issue. I do year end splits once I file taxes so my current file only goes back to 1/1/2021. It took me 3 hours to delete and re-enter all the paycheck data. I wish I had found this post yesterday.
  • kingmm01
    kingmm01 Member ✭✭
    Seems Quicken’s upgrades these days are more beta versions than debugged releases. This isn’t the first upgrade I regretted. Glad you did work it out. Honestly…I’m going to explore Personal Capital which seems to be the preferred Quicken alternatives.
  • adamberger
    adamberger Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue as Amo1 reported on 3/4. I can add more detail:

If you run Validate on the file it will seriously damage it. I literally had over 3000 lines of reported "repairs" where every one of my paychecks for this employer then had any transfer categories removed while the amounts remained. There were similar "repairs" done in my transfer accounts too.

I then restored from backup (got the file out of the validate directory, which is automatically backed up there before the validate runs), and took a closer look at my transactions. If I find the corresponding transaction in my transfer account and tell it to "Go to transfer" it will do so, if and only if the paycheck amount on the register matches the paycheck detail in the splits. For paychecks where the split total doesn't match the value in the register, I get a "The transfer transaction is to an account that no longer exists in Quicken".

I then looked at backups from 1 month ago, 2 months ago and 1 year ago. Same problems now showing there. Here's the clincher: If I run a validate on those files now, I will get the same list of thousands of "repaired" records that will then be permanently damaged. Now, I run validate any time something wonky happens. I therefore no for a fact that I have done so several times in the last year, and yet this release is the first time I have seen this behavior. The only conclusion has to be that the data is actually good, but Quicken now has a bug that is causing it to interpret the data incorrectly. Fellow users: Do not run validate on your data unless you are prepared to restore a backup. QUICKEN: How about fixing this serious bug?
  • adamberger
    adamberger Member ✭✭
    *no = know
  • pyieh
    pyieh Member ✭✭
    Quick update - Mobile data looks to be back after reset. I did have to reconnect several accounts (Chase in particular) but that was because Chase's change to Direct Connect for update. Will see what happens next when I enter a new scheduled salary entry with split transactions in a week. Right now in the Bill and Income reminders window, amount for the scheduled transaction does not match the transactions total - over 20x what it supposed to be.

Another weekend wasted troubleshooting Quicken...
  • Bryan Douros
    Bryan Douros Member ✭✭
    I have several issues with this release.

1) Online payees doesn't seem to know what the lead time is anymore. They are all marked "Unavailable*.
    2) Register "Tasks to be performed" show its flag, says I have 1 item to review, but there is none. I can't clear it.

It amazing this release could introduce so many problems. :(
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yet another new update floated out that causes issues...  is this the new normal ? Won't be updating to this one either (yet... )

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and reporting this issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

I have forwarded this thread and the information you posted regarding this problem to the proper channels, and it is being investigated further. In the meantime, if you are experiencing this issue, we ask that you please submit a problem report by navigating to Help > Report a problem. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• adamberger
    adamberger Member ✭✭
    There was an error rendering this rich post.> @Quicken Anja said:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and reporting this issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.
    >
    > I have forwarded this thread and the information you posted regarding this problem to the proper channels, and it is being investigated further. In the meantime, if you are experiencing this issue, we ask that you please submit a problem report by navigating to Help > Report a problem. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.
    >
    > We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

Thanks for responding, Anja. I wasn't even aware of the Report a problem option. I have now done so, though this fits into none of the categories listed, and the description area is too limited, forcing me to attach a text file with the full problem description.

This is a serious concern, not only because it renders years of data useless during tax season where accurate reporting is critical, but the natural step of doing a validate can lead to permanent data loss, especially for users who don't know how to restore backed up data. That means that the longer Quicken waits to address this problem, the greater the number of people with disastrous results which you will have to contend with.
  • geoffj
    geoffj Member ✭✭✭
    I too had all my salary splits get corrupted right when I needed them for tax preparation. Luckily have a backup before R39.17
    If you validate on the new R39.17 corrupted file it shows 1000's of broken pay check links. Backup opens fine in R38.30, instantly corrupts if opened in R39.17
  • ptjones1008
    ptjones1008 Member
    After release of version R39.21 all prior paycheck entries are corrupted. Amounts are reported as uncategorized. Attempts to edit the paycheck entries cause Quicken to quit. Tried to work from automatic backup and same error occurred.
  • Mohammed Ajouz
    Mohammed Ajouz Member ✭✭
    I just realized I have a similar problem. When I open an old paycheck the data and the categories inside are all messed and the total does not even match to what is in the register. Quicken asks me if I want to save it, obviously I click no. So in the register, the amount looks normal. When you open it it is all corrupted. Anyone else facing this problem?
  • jrieck1
    jrieck1 Member ✭✭
    Same issue here, after looking at split categories in paycheck (all wrong and nonsensical), clicking Cancel causes Quicken to crash.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Just got notifiation to update Quicken to R39.21. [Removed-Disruptive]

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Mohammed Ajouz
    Mohammed Ajouz Member ✭✭
    I am on 39.17 and experiencing the problem so it was introduced prior to 39.21
This discussion has been closed.