R39.17/R39.21 Paycheck Corruption [Edited]

Answers

• pyieh
    pyieh Member ✭✭
    Latest update - Quicken rolled out version R39.21. DO NOT INSTALL. It broke everything I worked over the weekend to get my salary entries with split transactions working. Here we go again...
  • geoffj
    geoffj Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you @pyieh I was hoping they'd fixed issue but sounds like not. I'll keep making daily backups in case...
  • Kushagra Shah
    Kushagra Shah Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    This morning my Quicken updated to the new release 39.21. Part of the release notes mentioned fixing of the Tax Item bug which we were facing earlier. When i went to fix the past few paycheck entries which were missing Tax lines items, I noticed the amount of the transaction in the register is correct but the splits inside have been replaced by the standard paycheck template entries. When I ran the Tax report for last year, all my paychecks have reverted to the standard paycheck entries. I have to file my taxes and my entire pay data is corrupted. Quicken tries to fix one issue and makes it worse every single time. I think a class action lawsuit is what is needed to bring them to their senses. Past few years this product has gone from bad to worse.
    If I am paying for a subscription, the product is supposed to at least perform the basic tasks it is advertising it does. [Removed - Solicitation]
  • dalehawaii
    dalehawaii Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I'm having the same issue with over 1,000 paychecks corrupted for over 10 years...

Though the "take home" amounts are correct, all paychecks have the SAME initial salary based on the current salary. This appears to be a result of the "final conversion" process from the latest March updates. 

Did a validate and got this from the Data.log file, "The following transaction(s) involving transfers appear to be damaged. You should delete them and recreate as appropriate."

Definitely not helpful with over 1,000 paychecks, 

Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks

Quicken user since 1996
    Quicken Home & Business Subscription
  • Brade
    Brade Member
    So, my subscription is up for renewal later this month and if I understand correctly, if I stop sending Quicken my money they will stop automatically installing updates that completely corrupt my data file. Let me think about that for a split second.

Yes, I am having the same problem with several years of paycheck splits reverting back to the template amounts. And yes, of course I tried to run the Validate which apparently made things worse. Argh!
  • mbond
    mbond Member ✭✭
    I just posted about this issue, and then found this tread. I am also having the issue and noticed it with 39.21 so it was not fixed with that update.
  • geoffj
    geoffj Member ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to credit that Quicken would release a second version that causes the same file corruption - surely this has been filed as a serious bug affecting users? It is getting harder to justify paying an annual fee to have to spend many hours chasing Quicken bugs. I have been using Quicken for over 20 years. This bug has cost me 4+ hours of my time to correct corrupted files from backups.
  • dalehawaii
    dalehawaii Member ✭✭✭✭
    With the most recent updates (March 2022) I'm having an issue with over 1,000 paychecks corrupted for over 10 years...

Though the "take home" amounts are correct, all paychecks have the SAME initial salary based on the current salary. This appears to be a result of the "final conversion" process from the latest March updates. 

Did a validate and got this from the Data.log file, "The following transaction(s) involving transfers appear to be damaged. You should delete them and recreate as appropriate."

Definitely not helpful with over 1,000 paychecks, 

So, opening past backups that were fine prior to the upgrade appear to be automatically converted by the new updated Quicken program, so validation is worthless. 

Is it possible to get a previous version of Quicken (from February 2022 that doesn't cause this issue)? It appears the Quicken for Mac folks are doing this now, and I think I'd like to do this for my Windows version. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks
    Quicken user since 1996
  • adamberger
    adamberger Member ✭✭
    > @geoffj said:
    > I find it hard to credit that Quicken would release a second version that causes the same file corruption - surely this has been filed as a serious bug affecting users? It is getting harder to justify paying an annual fee to have to spend many hours chasing Quicken bugs. I have been using Quicken for over 20 years. This bug has cost me 4+ hours of my time to correct corrupted files from backups.
    >

If you read from earlier in the thread, you will see that others who have reverted their software to an earlier release have round that their data files, which appear corrupt in the current release, are fine. Whereas, running a validate will permanently damage those files, forcing you to re-create all the records. So, I hope that Quicken prioritizes this bug fix and gets it out so that the existing data files are correct again, and does it quickly before the entire Quicken user community doesn't waste the hours that we have troubleshooting, or gives themselves permanent data loss. They suggested using the Help | Report a problem mechanism so that they realize how many users are affected.
  • dalehawaii
    dalehawaii Member ✭✭✭✭
    What's the best way to revert to 38.xx?

Running the mondo patch appears to bring me to 39.17 as per https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
    Quicken user since 1996
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though I apologize that you're experiencing this.

Our teams are aware and have opened an investigation into this issue, though we do not have an ETA on a resolution at this time. In the meantime, you can revert back to version R38.30 by downloading and installing it through this link here.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• adamberger
    adamberger Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Anja said:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though I apologize that you're experiencing this.
    >
    > Our teams are aware and have opened an investigation into this issue, though we do not have an ETA on a resolution at this time. In the meantime, you can revert back to version R38.30 by downloading and installing it through this link here.
    >
    > Thank you!

This is probably my fault, Anja, but clicking on that link brings me to a page with links to each release. Clicking on the one for R38.30 gives me the attached response.
  • adamberger
    adamberger Member ✭✭
    Hmm, that's not very readable. It says:

This item might not exist or is no longer available
    This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information.
  • lfriedhoff65
    lfriedhoff65 Member ✭✭
    Updated to Version R39.21 this morning and have many paycheck related issues. The update created a mess of the paycheck transactions for the past few months.

The initial issue I noticed was payroll tax on home screen was twice what it had been before. Many of the paycheck transactions sent an error message to Quicken as it kicked me out when I tried to edit them. The ones that I was able to get into I noticed the payroll expense lines were in the detail multiple times. When I attempted to fix the dupe issue it kicked me out and sent error to Quicken.

I restored a backup made prior to the update and saw that most paycheck transactions appeared to be fixed. I was able to fix the few that still had an issue. I'm still on R39.21. I thought I would be proactive and ran validate on my data file. I don't think I'll do that again. It broke all the payroll transactions for the last 11 years. Too many to think about fixing so I restored the backup again.

I have been using Quicken since 1990 and it had been a very useful tool. The past few years have been very painful with this issue. I'll try to continue to use it for a few more years but feel it's inevitable that Quicken will eventually screw it up enough that I'll be forced to abandon it after I export the last good backup to excel and go old school or to a competing product.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hmm, that's not very readable. It says:

This item might not exist or is no longer available
    This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information.
    @adamberger apologies! I received the same result when I tried. However, our teams have updated our Mondo Patch article. So, I went ahead and edited my prior response to update the link. You can download R38.30 through this support article instead.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    lfriedhoff65 said: I have been using Quicken since 1990 and it had been a very useful tool. The past few years have been very painful with this issue. I'll try to continue to use it for a few more years but feel it's inevitable that Quicken will eventually screw it up enough that I'll be forced to abandon it after I export the last good backup to excel and go old school or to a competing product.
    yeah - at some point, the pain and suffering will become too much for us, and the Quicken product will no longer be valuable enough to outweigh all the data corruption problems with each and every release.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• ALGRL123
    ALGRL123 Member ✭✭
    same problem. I am getting so tired of the buggy updates from quicken. In the last year alone, I have had to rebuild, re-enter or spend several hours correcting my data that was corrupted by their updates. Enough already, with this many of us paying subscription prices, please please get some quality control. And when will this latest debacle be fixed???
  • Mohammed Ajouz
    Mohammed Ajouz Member ✭✭
    So if I download R38.30 would it work against my current data file and the problems with paychecks would disappear? Has anyone tried it? Is the current problem with the software or with a corrupted data file? I can't believe Quicken is not issuing an alert to all its customers about this disastrous bug.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    So if I download R38.30 would it work against my current data file and the problems with paychecks would disappear? Has anyone tried it? Is the current problem with the software or with a corrupted data file? I can't believe Quicken is not issuing an alert to all its customers about this disastrous bug.
    You will still need to restore from a backup.  The damage is already done to the data file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mohammed Ajouz
    Mohammed Ajouz Member ✭✭
    This is getting worse and worse. Though I back up regularly I'm not sure when I installed 39.17. How would I figure out the last valid backup I have, i.e. prior to installing 39.17.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is getting worse and worse. Though I back up regularly I'm not sure when I installed 39.17. How would I figure out the last valid backup I have, i.e. prior to installing 39.17.
    Well, I downloaded R39.17 pretty soon after it was released, and the date on my file is 3/4/2022.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • geoffj
    geoffj Member ✭✭✭
    > @Mohammed Ajouz said:
    > This is getting worse and worse. Though I back up regularly I'm not sure when I installed 39.17. How would I figure out the last valid backup I have, i.e. prior to installing 39.17.

You may find that a backup was made automatically when you upgraded to 39.17
    I see a Qdata-R-38.30-2022-03-04.QDF-backup in my BACKUP directory. Not sure if this is good as I ended up restoring one I had manually made on 02-28
  • geoffj
    geoffj Member ✭✭✭
    Looks like the R39 revisions are not being pushed anymore over one step update - I don't see them anymore. Finally Quicken acknowledges they are not production worthy. It would be nice if they could compensate us guinea pigs who spent hours struggling with buggy software during tax season with at least life free subscriptions :)
  • Patrick Hasenjager
    Patrick Hasenjager Member ✭✭✭
    I had this happen as well. It also duplicated (or sometimes 3-5 times) the split lines in any scheduled transaction which I had to fix.

After disabling Mobile/Web Sync, the entries no longer duplicate. It's a band-aid for those experiencing the problem, if mobile sync is not critical for your usage.
  • PRD
    PRD Member ✭✭
    I have this problem as well. How can we sign up to be notified of a fix? At this point, I plan to just save my 3/1 and 2/1 backups, and use once the fix is released.
  • Amo1
    Amo1 Member ✭✭✭
    I agree with you @adamberger that this is a big issue, made worse because it is tax season. @Quicken Anja , is there an update on this? What is being done to prevent this issue for other users? Is Quicken going to provide users with instructions with how to roll back to R38.30?
  • lfriedhoff65
    lfriedhoff65 Member ✭✭
    > @geoffj said:
    > Looks like the R39 revisions are not being pushed anymore over one step update - I don't see them anymore. Finally Quicken acknowledges they are not production worthy. It would be nice if they could compensate us guinea pigs who spent hours struggling with buggy software during tax season with at least life free subscriptions :)

I agree. We have all become unpaid quality control of a product that is not as great as it once was. They should shift some dollars from advertising to quality control and testing. When searching on competitor products Quicken still comes up as #1 overall. Hmmm. I hope the budget for securing our data is greater than the spend on testing.
  • lfriedhoff65
    lfriedhoff65 Member ✭✭
    Any thoughts on fixing validate so it doesn't screw up 10+ years of paycheck data/links? Or is validate something we should just never run? Validate & Repair in the past was ran when you suspected you may have data issues. Now it should come with a warning that it could cause more damage than anything you are currently suspecting.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    As @Quicken Anja describes above, you can revert to R38.30 by following the instructions here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

You will also need to restore a backup of your data file from before you installed R39.17 or 21 
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.