R39.17/R39.21 Paycheck Corruption [Edited]

Answers

• lfriedhoff65
    lfriedhoff65 Member ✭✭
    > @ALGRL123 said:
    > same problem. I am getting so tired of the buggy updates from quicken. In the last year alone, I have had to rebuild, re-enter or spend several hours correcting my data that was corrupted by their updates. Enough already, with this many of us paying subscription prices, please please get some quality control. And when will this latest debacle be fixed???

Amen and Hallelujah, I completely agree!! I have done the same. Amazing they are still ranked so high. Most likely due to how much they spend on "advertising".
  • John623
    John623 Member ✭✭
    I restored to R.38.30 and restored from a file before the last update. When I try and do a one step update, it says my membership has expired. When I follow the link it says my membership is good until Jan 2023 but I cannot get a one step update to complete. Anyone else having this issue?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard of this issue.

You could try going to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts, click on Sign in as a different user, log out and sign in again with your Quicken ID and password.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • John623
    John623 Member ✭✭
    @Jim_Harman Thank you . That worked. Now to update all the transactions from the last week and hope the new release is better! This community is awesome.
  • Mohammed Ajouz
    Mohammed Ajouz Member ✭✭
    Should I invest in rolling back to V38 and restore a backup or wait for Quicken to release a fix? Unfortunately I have done tons of work since 39.17 as I'm preparing for my tax filing. The thought of redoing everything is not enticing. It wasn't till 2 days ago that I realized the problem with my paychecks.
  • adamberger
    adamberger Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Anja said:
    > @adamberger apologies! I received the same result when I tried. However, our teams have updated our Mondo Patch article. So, I went ahead and edited my prior response to update the link. You can download R38.30 through this support article instead.
    >
    > I hope this helps!

Thanks, Anja. That page doesn't have a choice of which release to download, but (now, at least) clicking the link to download the latest patch does download 38.30. Do I just close Quicken and run the executable? Should I be concerned about this warning "If you reinstall Quicken, make sure you've installed the latest patch release before opening your data file; otherwise, you'll be unable to use online services."?

Thanks,
    Adam
  • adamberger
    adamberger Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > As @Quicken Anja describes above, you can revert to R38.30 by following the instructions here:
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
    >
    > You will also need to restore a backup of your data file from before you installed R39.17 or 21 

Jim, why do you think that we'd have to restore a pre-R39.x backup? If we didn't run validate on our current data (or did and restored), are you saying that data was still damaged by the upgrade itself? If so, then that's a much bigger deal. I found an automatic backup called Current-R-38.29-2022-03-04, which seems like the latest pre-R39 version, and have now made a copy so it doesn't roll off. Restoring that would mean that I would need to re-enter everything since then (or export those records, restore, and then re-import).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > As @Quicken Anja describes above, you can revert to R38.30 by following the instructions here:
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
    >
    > You will also need to restore a backup of your data file from before you installed R39.17 or 21 

Jim, why do you think that we'd have to restore a pre-R39.x backup? If we didn't run validate on our current data (or did and restored), are you saying that data was still damaged by the upgrade itself? If so, then that's a much bigger deal. I found an automatic backup called Current-R-38.29-2022-03-04, which seems like the latest pre-R39 version, and have now made a copy so it doesn't roll off. Restoring that would mean that I would need to re-enter everything since then (or export those records, restore, and then re-import).
    I think this will answer your question.  Note for anyone wondering, R39.17 came out on 3/4/2022.

I don't normally run Validate and Repair very often, so I hadn't done since getting R39.17.

My sequence is that everything appeared fine and then I ran Validate and Repair while on R39.17 and it reported errors and broke my wife's paycheck entries.

So, the next thing I did was restore the data file (the one just before doing the Validate and Repair), and went back to R38.30, and did Validate and Repair again.
    Again, reported errors and trashed paycheck reminders.

That means that even though you can't see it, R39.17 has already trashed the data file, just waiting for it to be discovered at a later date.

I restored a data file from before I installed R39.17, brought it up to date, and then ran Validate and Repair, and there weren't any errors.

Since the time frame was pretty short, it wasn't hard to bring it up to date.

You saved me quite a bit of work @Jim_Harman, thanks again!
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mohammed Ajouz
    Mohammed Ajouz Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Anja Do you think Quicken can come up with a fix that will fix the corruption within the data file or is the damage done and we still need to restore an old backup and the fix will be for future paychecks? Trying to assess my next move as I might need a full day to restore everything prior to 39.17.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Anja Do you think Quicken can come up with a fix that will fix the corruption within the data file or is the damage done and we still need to restore an old backup and the fix will be for future paychecks? Trying to assess my next move as I might need a full day to restore everything prior to 39.17.
    Would you trust them to create a fix for such corruption?

I certainly wouldn't, especially when that would require leaving that corruption in while you wait for the possibility that they may or may not actually fix it.

In my opinion, it is much better to bite the bullet now, and restore to a known non corrupted and data file and bring that data file up to date.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

We have just received an update that a patch is scheduled to be released tomorrow, which should address this issue.

The next patch will 'fix' this issue by preventing it from happening again. However, it will not retroactively fix current data that may be corrupted. You will need to install the new patch and restore a backup to fix currently corrupted paycheck entries, unfortunately.

If you do not wish to wait for the next patch to be released, then we advise reverting back to R38.30 and restoring a backup. You can download and install R38.30 through this link here.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ps56k2 said:
    lfriedhoff65 said: I have been using Quicken since 1990 and it had been a very useful tool. The past few years have been very painful with this issue. I'll try to continue to use it for a few more years but feel it's inevitable that Quicken will eventually screw it up enough that I'll be forced to abandon it after I export the last good backup to excel and go old school or to a competing product.
    yeah - at some point, the pain and suffering will become too much for us, and the Quicken product will no longer be valuable enough to outweigh all the data corruption problems with each and every release.

I am still using QW2017 and I do not have any of the issues that seem to continually plague the subscription versions. It is worth the small amount of manual data entry I have to do to have stable and dependable data and program operation. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm another long time user (2000/01) who had issues with R39.17. I installed it since it supposedly fixed the issue of not being able to add a new tax item for paychecks. I am stuck with a growing stack of paychecks to enter until that issue is resolved. I thankfully realized I had an issue with R39.17 before adding new entries in various accounts, and also had a backup that was up-to-date. My paychecks were modified to the latest paycheck data back through 5/12/2006. Very disturbing that an update was this intrusive to user data.

I wonder how many of us hit this issue prior to it being pulled? As many have mentioned here this seems to be the new norm not just with Quicken but a lot of software companies. WE are the test vehicles and reporting bugs team. It is hard to deny that it is working as the issue was quickly reported here by many and an update is due tomorrow. The problem with this approach is we are paying monetarily and also with our time.

But, my bigger concern is what else is not correct in my current data file that I have not discovered yet. Trust is hard to earn and easy to lose. Who will be first to try the next new update?
  • jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Anja said:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > We have just received an update that a patch is scheduled to be released tomorrow, which should address this issue.
    >
    > The next patch will 'fix' this issue by preventing it from happening again. However, it will not retroactively fix current data that may be corrupted. You will need to install the new patch and restore a backup to fix currently corrupted paycheck entries, unfortunately.
    >
    > If you do not wish to wait for the next patch to be released, then we advise reverting back to R38.30 and restoring a backup. You can download and install R38.30 through this link here.
    >
    > Thank you!

@Quicken Anja Do we know if this next patch will include the original R39.17 fixes but without the paycheck corruption?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    jr_ece said:
    @Quicken Anja Do we know if this next patch will include the original R39.17 fixes but without the paycheck corruption?
    Thanks for reaching out! Yes, those fixes should still apply.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Mohammed Ajouz
    Mohammed Ajouz Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Anja Can you please post here when the patch will be made available? At this point I'm afraid of even opening Quicken so not to cause any more data corruption.
  • jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭
    jr_ece said:

Thank you!

Excellent! Thanks for clarifying.
  • Randy H.
    Randy H. Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Excellent idea.
  • davidmarketing
    davidmarketing Member ✭✭✭
    Let me say I am a big fan of Quicken and heavy user since 1995. It's far from perfect and I actually have many issues but as long as the updates don't screw up my data, I have been ok with the issues. I actually think most of the issues were before the subscription time period when there were year to year software updates and the data files were "converted" or "upgraded" - I can't remember the term they used, I think converted. I do believe the cloud has been a disaster (and impacted the latest update). When I sync with the mobile & web, my data gets very corrupted so I don't do that either even though this is one of the key benefits and message points. I also believe the file format is still 32-bit but I've been using 64-bit Windows for years, this impacts the display.

And, the validate is a big problem and has always been a big problem. First, you don't really know the damage that it is doing. Second, it does things you may not want to change. Tech support always wants to do validate but I always revert to a previous backup when they are done.

This community has been helpful and I think I may start posting some of my issues here to see if I can help drive improvements through this channel.

The other issue I think Quicken has is that the user base is declining and therefore the economics prevent flawless software. I personally don't mind the yearly investment to keep the product and business going. Otherwise, they will go bankrupt and we are all dead. They are not a public service organization and I'm scared one day it will cease.

Anyway, these are my thoughts...data integrity needs to be improved, the validate feature needs to be improved, the cloud needs to be improved, and the migration to 64-bit software should happen.
  • Jim_Harman
    @davidmarketing,

Thanks for your comments. Are you experiencing the problem being discussed here?
  • johnjjbsu
    johnjjbsu Member ✭✭
    What a mess. It corrupted all paychecks going back to at least Dec 2021 beyond repair. What a mess. So now I am catching up my backup from pre-March. Hours wasted.
  • davidmarketing
    davidmarketing Member ✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman I had the login loop issue that I was locked out of my file. When I ran the validate, I saw all the error messages with my paycheck, which is why I hate the validate feature.

So, what I did that seemed to work was reboot, uninstall quicken, reboot, delete the quicken folder in the program files, reboot, reinstalled quicken and opened the last backed-up file. Quicken backed up my file before updating. It seems to be working. Validate found some other issues too but I am not going to worry about it.

David
  • George P
    George P Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Same problem here. My wife's paycheck was corrupted back to 2020 and I cannot get more than a year of paystubs for her. I rolled back and now have to do three days of work updating records that I had done to prepare reports for my taxes. What was really annoying is that I updated and corrected issues with her Thrift Savings Plan transactions that I had been putting off because its so tedious. Now I have to do it all over.

There is another problem with paycheck reports. I tried to go to very old backups to get split information. When you turn on splits in the reports, all the splits are the same and do not match the total when splits are turned off. I spent 2 hours trying to fix old transactions before I realized the report data was wrong.

I'm just thankful that I did not shred the 3 inch stake of paper that I had used to update Quicken. And I'm thankful that I don't have to go back and fix closed bank accounts where statements have been removed from the bank website. Thanks Truist -- that's a different story.

What I don't understand is why there was not some flash message warning about this error as soon as it was discovered. Could have saved me hours of work.
  • Jim_Harman
    @George P et al:
    Please see this Alert post. That is the closest thing we have to a flash message
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909861/new-3-10-22-paycheck-wizard-issue-after-updating-to-r39-17-r39-21#latest

Instead of re-doing all those splits, you can revert to R38.30 and restore a backup from before you installed R39.xx. I am working on getting someone knowledgeable to post step by step instructions.
  • jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭
    jr_ece said:

Thank you!

Excellent! Thanks for the response.
  • Lloyd Smith
    Lloyd Smith Member ✭✭
    I upgraded to the new release 39.23 this morning, 3/12. Restored a data file from 3/3 which should be prior to 39.17. I still do not have any split level data from prior to November 2021. Submitted my files through Report A Problem. Am I missing something?
This discussion has been closed.