Runtime Exception Error Starting Quicken [System.Exception: Failed to start image manager]

Answers

• Kalman
    Kalman Member ✭✭
    We secured rundll32.exe [4152] because it was infected with Win32:Malware-Gen
  • Me too - same problems. GRRRRR! At least I know I'm not alone as I got a new PC and got this crap on it as well as my old one.
  • tony-m
    tony-m Member ✭✭
    FWIW, I left a message earlier, agreeing that it seemed AVG was overreacting to the latest Quicken update today. I opened a case with AVG and after 2 hours of remote desktop support, they seemed to have fixed the problem. The last thing I saw happen was for them to run the AVG Repair option in AVG Internet Security. Was that the only thing that fixed it? I don't know. But now, so far, I can open Quicken, and my files, and close, without any dll errors.
  • tony-m
    tony-m Member ✭✭
    > @tony-m said:
    > FWIW, I left a message earlier, agreeing that it seemed AVG was overreacting to the latest Quicken update today. I opened a case with AVG and after 2 hours of remote desktop support, they seemed to have fixed the problem. The last thing I saw happen was for them to run the AVG Repair option in AVG Internet Security. Was that the only thing that fixed it? I don't know. But now, so far, I can open Quicken, and my files, and close, without any dll errors.

HAHAHAHA on me. Upon opening Quicken again, I GET THE SAME ERRORS! QUICKEN, FIX THIS!!!!
  • NFLfan
    NFLfan Member
    I'm having the same error. Avast pops up immediately after starting Quicken: "Runtime DLL" error. Then, the "System.Exception: Failed to start image manager" error. I'm not going to chase my tail by reinstalling or doing something that will exacerbate the problem; and not fix it. Since many of us are reporting this, Quicken needs to fix it immediately!
  • ZABA
    ZABA Member ✭✭
    I'm consistently seeing it too on startup. Running the latest build of Quicken on a Windows 10 Pro workstation. Adding an exception to the malware software changed nothing.

If anyone has steps to resolution, that would be great info to have. Thanks.
  • Having some combination of all of what others are reporting here. By dumb luck I also changed my quicken ID password last night, so now when Quicken launches it tries to go the QUicken login page and crashes hard, but prompts me for an error report. Ive' sent several of those describing what I experienced.
  • Kalman
    Kalman Member ✭✭
    Chat support has no clue on how to fix this issue!
  • Kalman
    Kalman Member ✭✭
    With Avast if you disable the shields for 10 minutes Quicken opens up without issue.
    I would use this with caution until Quicken gets this fixed.
  • Kalman
    Kalman Member ✭✭
    Just submitted this also to Avast forum.
    https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=321202.0
  • Confirming that turning off AVG protection temporarily also allows Quicken to run normally, it seems.
  • Same here, New PC, latest Windows 11. Quicken was installed a few days before the error. The error started on 9/18/2022 from Avast after the Quicken update ran.

>>AVAST ERROR MESSAGE<<
    Threat Name: Win32:Malware-gen
    FilePath: rundll32.exe[13256]
    Origin: C:\windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe
    Detected By: Anti-Exploit Shield
  • I also started getting the same Runtime Exceptions when starting Quicken. As with all the other reports, it started on 9/18. I'm also running AVG - Virus definition 220918-8 - but don't see any notifications that AVG found any infections or potential problems. At least Quicken does seem to function once you dismiss the error window.
  • I disabled AVG and the problem disappeared. Re-Enabled AVG and the problem came back....
  • My AVG was running in "Silent Mode". When I turned that off & started Quicken, I did get a warning from AVG about a problem with rundll32.exe. I didn't copy the message, and I only got it once. Subsequent attempts to start Quicken only give the "Runtime Exception" error.
  • fjh
    fjh Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I'm another user with the same issue everyone is reporting. Following this thread for a solution.
  • mpiaser
    mpiaser Member
    I am receiving the following error when I start Quicken. When I close the error, Quicken does open.

Exception:
    System.Exception: Failed to start image manager
    at EO.Internal.vpsi.wxpi.hiva()
    at EO.Internal.vpsi.wxpi.mccq()
  • mpiaser
    mpiaser Member
    I hope somebody comes up with a solution as I'm also having the problems in this thread.
  • Mickey3309
    Mickey3309 Member ✭✭
    Same issue here, using AVG too
  • I have the same problem and am using Avast. Anyone know when this will be fixed?
  • cdotger
    cdotger Member ✭✭
    Having same issue with AVG, Kapersky and other AV apps seeing same problem, so seems like a Quicken issue.
  • Getting exact same message as as2qkn and others. Looks like a problem with Quicken. I'm using Avast and Malwarebytes, as well as Windows anti-virus. Message tells me I "can handle EO.Base.Runtime.Exception event to silent this message," but I have no idea how to do that.
  • Having the same error with a full memory dump to copy. Seems to run fine after closing the dialog box but is it accurate??? It isn't random and does it on EVERY startup. Reboot of PC doesn't fix anything and no other application on the computer does this.
  • hkt
    hkt Member
    I am receiving the following error when I start Quicken. When I close the error, Quicken does open.
  • fjh
    fjh Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I have to hope that this is a false positive, but that seems odd since multiple AVs (Avast, AVG, Malwarebytes, Kaspersky) flag this file. If the last Quicken update had malware embedded, well, let's just say that would be bad.

Edit: Scanning the rundll32.exe file with Avast reports no issues.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello everyone,

I apologize that you are being affected by these problems with online banking services. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community. 

It would benefit us immensely in our efforts to look into this issue if you could navigate to Help > Report a problem... in the upper menu at the top of the screen in order to submit program log files. You may also submit a brief description of the problem along with any available screenshots. Note that these submissions are purely for investigative purposes, and you will not receive a response through them. We do not have an ETA regarding a resolution. Our teams will investigate this issue further, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Quicken Jared 
  • fjh
    fjh Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I apologize that you are being affected by these problems with online banking services. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community. 
    >
    > It would benefit us immensely in our efforts to look into this issue if you could navigate to Help > Report a problem... in the upper menu at the top of the screen in order to submit program log files. You may also submit a brief description of the problem along with any available screenshots. Note that these submissions are purely for investigative purposes, and you will not receive a response through them. We do not have an ETA regarding a resolution. Our teams will investigate this issue further, and we apologize for the inconvenience.
    >
    > Thanks for your patience.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Jared, I did this yesterday. And my problem occurs when I start Quicken program and doesn't have anything to do with online banking services.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have this problem but did notice that someone fixed the issue for their situation and posted that here:

• Kalman
    Kalman Member ✭✭
    Exception in Avast does not resolve the issue. Had exception in Avast for Qw.exe for years
  • fjh
    fjh Member ✭✭
    > @Tom Young said:
    > I don't have this problem but did notice that someone fixed the issue for their situation and posted that here:https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7919951/exception-message#latest

Thanks, but until it's confirmed that this is a false positive, I'm reluctant to tell my AV to ignore this file.
This discussion has been closed.