Allow reordering of split entries (38 Legacy Votes +4 Merged)

RickO
RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
Please add the ability to re-order split entries. This would be especially helpful in making long splits for paychecks match the pay stub.

If you like this idea, please VOTE for it at the top.

(Edited to Remove Year)
Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
27 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

CTP-949

Comments

• ericrose12
    ericrose12 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    It would be nice to have a nice GUI for entering in a paycheck!
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2017
    Personally, I don't see the advantage or need for a separate paycheck entry screen when a schedule split transaction works just fine. But difficult when you can't reorder the lines of the split.

I've not used the Windows version. What advantage(s) does the paycheck entry screen have over a scheduled split transaction with re-orderable lines?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • ericrose12
    ericrose12 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If you could re-order that would help a lot - but the paycheck GUI entry screen was very organized with sub total, etc. This way you know that a category group (pre-tax, taxes, post-tax deduction, etc) total was complete and accurate. This way you can easily find the extra penny. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

If you could re-order that would help a lot - but the paycheck GUI entry screen was very organized with sub total, etc. This way you know that a category group (pre-tax, taxes, post-tax deduction, etc) total was complete and accurate. This way you can easily find the extra penny. 

QM2007 has a paycheck wizard too...though I have never used it, since all it does is list all the potential splits for a paycheck. Good for newbies though.

You can add your VOTE to Add a Paycheck Wizard.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Bill Reminders (aka Scheduled Transactions) and Graph Features (aka Cash Flow Forecast or Projected Balance). Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    I, too, would like to have the ability to reorder a split transaction and have "voted" for it.
  • Crashmeister
    Crashmeister Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Allow re-ordering of split lines via drag and drop.

It would be most useful to be able to re-order the sequence of lines in a split transaction.

I have some large splits, and sometimes the matching statement changes. Having the split lines in the same sequence as the source document (statement/payslip etc.) makes it far easier to match details or find anomalies.

Thanks,
    Craig.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and FeaturesYou may want to click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to other related IDEAS.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017

Personally, I don't see the advantage or need for a separate paycheck entry screen when a schedule split transaction works just fine. But difficult when you can't reorder the lines of the split.

I've not used the Windows version. What advantage(s) does the paycheck entry screen have over a scheduled split transaction with re-orderable lines?

The Windows version paycheck has totals for gross pay, net pay, etc. It's a good verification that the numbers are entered correctly when compared to the values on a pay statement.
  • Quicken Community
    edited December 2020
    Please allow us to change the order of the split categories in a transaction.  This would make it much more efficient when entering in transaction with 20 splits, like my paycheck.  It would be great if I could drag the order of the splits on my saved bill to match what is in my paycheck instead of having to scroll up and down trying to find each of the 20 in the list and making sure I don't miss any
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Does the order of your paycheck deductions change every pay period? If not, you should just fix it once and be done with it. It’s rather easy to “move” a few split lines by just inserting and deleting lines using the + and - symbols.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    They were in order until I updated to 2018 and the order was all changed.  I plan on doing what you suggest once I get my first paycheck in 2018 as I have to update all the amounts anyway.  I don't see why they don't let you drag them up and down, easier than deleting and recreating them
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello All 

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the Age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to Add your Vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

~~~***~~~
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2020
    While I don't need this often, I think it would be a good improvement.

In reality, the code for the entire splits sub-window needs to be re-written. It's one of the pieces of the program that came over from the decade-old Essentials code base, and it just doesn't fit well with the user interface of the register. The splits window should follow the settings of the register:
    • show/hide columns to match the register
    • follow the column order of the register
    • follow the column widths the register
    • support dark mode, for which every window and interface element needs to be updated
    As part of this modernization of the user interface of the splits window, adding the ability to move rows of the split up and down -- by dragging up/down, or arrows to move up/down -- would be a nice improvement.

I agree with the comment above about re-arranging our paycheck deposits. When payroll vendors change their software and re-order deductions, it would be nice to be able to quickly update the scheduled transaction in Quicken to match. And I periodically have other transactions with multiple splits where it would be nice to re-order the splits for one reason or another. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Agreed!

I would use this a lot!!! Instead i have to insert line, copy, paste, delete, that I have to do for each field, just to "move" one line.

• Hello. I am a big fan of Quicken and have been using it for over 20 years. I love the updates being made to Quicken for Mac.

I was wondering if I could offer one:

It would be nice if one could move the splits up and down on a split transaction. For example, I like to follow along my earning's statement for entering deduction line items. Unfortunately, my earnings' statements do not always have the deductions in the same order.

It would be neat if I could change the order of one or more deductions in the split by dragging the item to its new location in the split. Hope this makes sense!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @texasaggievet A moderator has merged your post into this existing Idea thread seeking the same functionality you were asking for. Be sure to add your vote for this Idea by scrolling to the top of the page; locate the yellow box under the first post, and click the dark gray arrow under the vote counter so that it increases by one.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Roger_O
    Roger_O Member ✭✭✭
    The Paycheck transactions are not the only ones to be singled out that could use the ability to have the splits rearranged, many types of transactions are entered and modeled after a statement of some kind. Utility payments of many types have multiple categories that breakdown into useful information. Rearranging split lines is an extremely useful ability. Adding the subtotals and other features like that would be beneficial at the same time. If this sub-feature is going to be re-vamped, let's re-design it to be flexible and practical.

Another type of split or (possibly entry) is the kind I get into occasionally, that being the ability to assign a dollar amount to more than one category. For instance, if I transfer a dollar amount to another account (a transfer) I sometimes want to assign it to a specific category too.
  • bsyeagley
    bsyeagley Member

I have long wanted this ability to fix my splits after the fact without the need to delete entries and re-add where I want them, in order to match my pay stub. This became a bigger deal when I finally decided to try and sync my account so I could use the mobile app. Once I setup the sync with my mobile app, the first thing I noticed was my carefully crafted paycheck split was horribly rearranged. Once I took the time to fix it and synced again, Quicken screwed it up all over again! I tried several times to correct this and after much frustration decided to disable the sync feature and abandon the idea of using the mobile application entirely. At this point, I'm not sure I would ever consider trying it again, without the ability to easily fix my split if it breaks again. I was so frustrated, that I was very close to cancelling my subscription altogether and looking for a different solution. I still haven't ruled that out…