Quicken is S L O W - Everyone affected Please chime in.

Options

Answers

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I respectfully disagree with the premise that “the problem is not with Quicken.” On my system, Quicken is the only application that exhibits profound performance issues. Other, far larger and more compute-intensive applications, such as Photoshop run great. Some of my Photoshop files, especially for panoramas, exceed 1GB in size. Other transaction- and I/O-intensive database applications also run just fine. It is only Quicken that moves like cold molasses.

I’m currently traveling and will install R51.12 when I get home.

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Boatnmaniac and @RalphC I went a step further and deleted Quicken from 1 of my computers and installed full version of Quicken again. It installed with R51.12. After several startups and then an OSU on 3 data files nothing changed. So I updated my Quicken using all 3 of the methods available (inside Quicken, Mondo update, and new install).

@RalphC There is nothing wrong with either of my computers, my network, my internet provider, nor do I have any issue with any software I use except Quicken and it's the only software that is 32 bit. I continually check my total complement of all these. They get started each morning and turned off in the evening. I've heard all the statements as to the cause (guesses) from "your computers are too old, your proccessor is too old, you don't have enough memory, maybe it's your router, it is your internet provider, it's your Windows, and etc.) and etc.

I will say I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box but have some experience with building and maintaining custom computers at a large corporation that had over a thousand computers in their network, building networks and administering and troubleshooting networks, troubleshooting IT hardware issues ( software issues not in my wheelhouse ).

Ralph what do you base your diagnosis on other than "everybody would be having the issue"? I'm interested if you can point to something I have not checked already.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• bboese
    bboese Member
    Options

I'm affected too!!!! updating to R51.12 now to see if it resolves, not looking too good…

• bboese
    bboese Member
    Options

…running much faster now, but does not show R51.12, shows R51.11 still, but I'll leave as is for now, as it's running faster. I uploaded the patch, then restarted computer.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@bboese that is the latest update for the Canada version. Other Canadians have said it seems to solve the issue but they also say it slows back down. Let us know after you run it for a few days if it is still faster. I hope it says fixed for you. Then they can fix the US version.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

To clarify: I was not saying that it is not a Quicken issue. What I was saying is that there have been observations that caused me to speculate whether this all might have been triggered by a Win 11 issue:

• Win 11 updates on 7/11 & 7/12
    • Increasing performance issues over the next 3 weeks with 2 browsers (Firefox, MS Edge)
    • Increasing performance issues over the next 3 weeks with MS Office apps (Excel, Outlook)
    • Slowing Quicken responsiveness over the next 3 weeks
    • Multiple apps version updates 2 days ago (not so unusual with Win 11 updates but there have been no Win 11 update since 7/12). These version updates appeared to resolve the performance issues I'd seen with those apps.
    • 2 days ago Quicken slowed to a crawl when launching it and when trying to run OSU
    • Updating Quicken to R51.12 today appears (so far) to have resolved the performance issues with Quicken that developed since that Win 11 update on 7/12.

Based upon these circumstances IMO it is reasonable to extrapolate that perhaps it was the Win 11 update on 7/12 that was the driver behind these other issues. Was it? I'm not sure we'll ever know for sure. Could it be that all of this is just coincidence and that it might be caused by something else? Quite possibly.

I only wanted to inform others of what appears to have worked for me so that maybe it might also work for others. Hopefully some others will post here on what results updating to R51.12 provided.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@retird have you tried booting into Windows Safe Mode With Networking and running QWin in that environment? Any speed improvement? (Sorry if this was asked & answered. This thread has gotten longer than my 32-bit memory cells can handle.)

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hopefully, the big cheeses at Quicken are paying attention. I think that Windows 10(is what I am using)made a turn a year or so ago and Quicken did not and here we all are

Windows 10 * Quicken Premier user.

Quicken user since 198x something. Started with Quicken for DOS 5.X

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Boatnmaniac You are correct that those Windows updates became available on the dates you posted. If you search the community the recent slowness issue pre-dates those releases. I appreciate you posting the Windows update dates. Not only are Win11 users talking slow but Win10 users are too.

As a precaution I have my computers set to NOT automatically install any Windows updates. Been that way for years. I didn't install those windows updates prior to my early posts here. Like with Quicken updates I wait for sometimes weeks or longer especially with major updates. This thread started on 6-5-2023 and many other threads before that.

I think we can agree that "something" is causing the slowness. All we, as Quicken customers, can do is post, send logs, troubleshoot our own stuff and etc. The resolve rest clearly with Quicken.

I think, my opinion, is that if an update by Windows is causing the issue then Quicken is no longer compatible and Quicken should interact with Microsoft and strive to get it fixed.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

No I have not and no need to (others have done that). Quicken should just work., NONE of my other software exhibits this issue. LOL—- maybe we can change 32-bit memory cells to 64….

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

Ok, bye. Why should anyone help you if you won't experiment to help yourself?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Been thru my whole setup…. I'm tired of "throwing this and that against the wall". Good thing the software still works. Can live with the slowness if that is what will be. Good that Quicken is still working on this. Hope they have good results. I appreciate all those who have "chimed in" here and sent sanitized files. I hope, for them, it gets fixed too.

Maybe, since yours is not slow Rocket, you could sanitize a copy and send it to Quicken so they can compare your fast one to the slow ones we sent them.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@retird - one of the critical business issues that Quicken has is that they operate the software on distributed platforms - meaning it operates on everyone's laptops/ computers - and there are literally thousands of permutations of how these computers are configured and how they may complete with other software packages placed on the computers. This was just the way it was in the 1980s when QUicken was first developed.

We can't expect Quicken to troubleshoot each and every computer in America. My point is unless EVERYONE is experiecing the SAME issue, the problem points to the individual's computer and NOT the software.

Therefore, when someone offers a suggestion on these boards - and we are all doing it blindly - best to take up that suggestion and try it.

You are assuming the root cause issue is with Quicken's software; I suspect the root cause issue is your computer, since not everyone is experiencing what you are experiencing.

Further, this issue has to be broken down into multiple issues.

a) the performance when simply entering transactions.

b) the performance when launching the software (since there is a call routine to the mother ship to confirm the account.

c) the performance when conducting OSU. This also requires a call routine to Quicken's data provider (Intuit) and if some of the FIs are now running EWC+, that is a separate, more intensive set of call routines that take longer. And each FI may have different server configurations which further adds variation to the performance any individual user may experience.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I remember several years back that a slowness issue was identified as a video driver issue. It didn't affect everyone, just those with a certain graphics card and a specific release of their driver.

It would not surprise me if this is not something similar. It would take a very extensive survey of the exact computer components and software version data to find the common factor (all of which I am sure users would declare as too invasive), but I bet a common factor would be found.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mark1104 the last item of your post "c" could easily point to at least one reason for OSU slowness. I have been considering that as possibly one of the "Elephants in the room" for some time. So Quicken startup may be slow but once loaded runs fine. Windows treats 32 bit software differently than 64 bit. Only other slowness here then is with OSU's. All these financial institutions I use involve the Intuit servers to transfer data and runs slow.

Try talking to Intuit tech support. I have tried numerous times when issues came up with Quicken or a financial institution where Quicken points the finger at the financial Institution and the finanial institution says it is Quicken. You can't talk to Intuit and Quicken IT tech support will tell you they have no phone number they can give you so you can talk to them. Financial institutions IT tell me they can't give you the number for Intuit either.

You might want to read about the changes Intuit instituted May 31, 2023 with it's platform and supported products. Did this have an effect?

I, or others here, have tried all suggestions here I think. None bare fruit. I think the only suggestion (guess) I did not personally do was Safe Mode as others did that.

The best suggestion offered here was to "Report a problem", sanitize the data file, and send to Quicken. Many did this and many more did not. I'll ask you the same thing. Please send Quicken the same thing we sent them and in the comments tell them you are not having the slowness problem. They can compare yours to ours and possibly aid in tracking down the cause. They are still working on this according to the last update (you have to go to the Alert section in the community and scroll down to find it) and they have no time frame to resolution.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes a quick search here shows many, many post about slowness over numerous time frames. On May 31, 2023 slowness was reported and shown resolved the same day.

I'm just glad the software still functions except for the slowness.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe @Mark1104 and @splasher are correct. Some combination of the data and/or computer is causing the slowness. If you’re lucky, it’s your data and the sanitized file can be used to determine the cause. That would exclude slowness with OSU as I am assuming Quicken Inc can’t run OSU on your sanitized data file.

If you’re not lucky, the issue is with your computer and Quicken Inc having your sanitized data file won’t aid in the troubleshooting.

If you want to hedge your bets, you might want to pursue determining if your computer is contributing to the slowness. As pointed out a number of times previously, running in safe mode with networking enabled is a good starting point.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mark1104

I disagree. It sounds like you don't have any issues and you are willing to give Quicken a pass. That is unfortunate and a mistake. There is nothing that changed on my machine but Quicken updates and Windows updates. You need to understand that.

Windows 10 * Quicken Premier user.

Quicken user since 198x something. Started with Quicken for DOS 5.X

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@mshiggins have you ever opened a sanitized file and logs and saw the level of detail?

• trevordemaat
    trevordemaat Member ✭✭
    Options

Has anyone received an update? For the past few days seeing some serious slow performance. Updating my accounts will take 15+ minutes. Then when reconciling the accounts the Red flags indicating the account has downloads to review will not go away for some/long time.

Everything else runs fine on this PC (which I only use for browsing, email and Quicken)

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@retird

«All these financial institutions I use involve the Intuit servers to transfer data and runs slow.»

what makes you so sure? I am far from a networking expert, but it's my understanding that the security of EWC+ causes the data to travel quite directly from the FI to my computer. Permitting the transactions to travel through Intuit or Quicken would appear to compromise the secuty intended by the EWC+ approach.

Futher, I am not even aware that the 'direct connect' method involves Quicken servers - all the data comes from Intuit as the data provider is my understand. That creates another issue in determining 'root cause' - most moving parts of OSU are simply not in Quicken's control.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

• mshiggins
    Options

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can see what is contained in the different log files.

• mshiggins
    Options

Still not understanding why I would care what is in a sanitized file or its associated log files. What are you thinking can be learned in such a review?

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Open Report a problem…. look for yourself if you want:

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

@mshiggins You might not personally care what’s in these files, but you can be proud that you are part of a shared, communal effort to solve the mystery that is Q’s ultra-slow performance.

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• mshiggins
    Options

Still not getting why you want me to look at the files. What am I looking for?