Quicken is S L O W - Everyone affected Please chime in.

Options
12345679»

Answers

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24
    Options

@figlio Thanks.

Windows 10 * Quicken Premier user.

Quicken user since 198x something. Started with Quicken for DOS 5.X

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

@figlio

I used "Andrew Tobias's Managing Your Money" for many years on DOS and faithfully upgraded every year. Eventually, I switched to Microsoft's superb "Microsoft Money" for Windows. It ran smooth as silk and looked gorgeous. I'd still be using it if Microsoft hadn't killed it off. That's what forced me to switch to Quicken.

As I noted a while back, on my brand new Win 11 Pro PC with 32GB RAM and two 2TB SSDs, Quicken was the first thing I installed after unboxing the unit. Meh. Quicken runs ok, but not great. And when I try to update a lot of accounts with a One-Step Update simultaneously, it seems I'd be better off timing the operation with a calendar than a stop watch.

My current Quicken .QDF file goes back to 1/1/2000 and is 102MB in size.

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• tbf47
    tbf47 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DotCom

Have you compared Quicken for Mac with Windows Quicken? Not so much for speed as features. My opinion of the Mac Version was did not have the offering of many of the program features that the Windows version has. I did a deep dive on all this when I started this thread even to the point of talking with Microsoft tech people and Quicken high ups. Microsoft said it is old code and is in need of an overhaul like many older evolved softwares. I guess we are lucky to still have it. I got the sense Quicken would prefer it if we used the Mac version and/or did not keep many years of data that many of us have. We may all be dinosaurs anyway. Young folks don't seem to use it. Of course Quicken should have all the demographics.

Windows 10 * Quicken Premier user.

Quicken user since 198x something. Started with Quicken for DOS 5.X

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    edited February 25
    Options

@tbf47

I don't use a Mac, so I have no hands-on experience. As for features, QMac has always lagged many years behind QWin regarding feature set. (I assume part of this is that the QMac user base is tiny compared to QWin.) It was my experience, even decades ago when Intuit co-founder Scott Cook was still running the company, that QMac was far, far down on the priority list. And now, with the Quicken product changing ownership several times in recent years and currently just one of 100 products in its holding company owner's portfolio, even QWin seems very far from top of mind. Look at the bottom of this page and you'll see that Quicken Inc. doesn't even own the Quicken name; it's used under license. from its owner Rocket Mortgage. (But, then again, the "iOS" trademark is not owned by Apple and never was. Cisco owns the trademark and licensed its use to Apple in 2010.)

User of Quicken for Windows Home & Business Edition since the day after Microsoft abandoned its superb Microsoft Money product.

• DRHayes
    DRHayes Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes it is slowwwwwwwwww! Almost unusable.

• Severisth
    Severisth Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

Well it's a year later and Quicken is still INSANELY slow. I've heard of 3 second server times (medium), even 10 second server times (slow), but Quicken clocks in at about 120 seconds. Unheard of.

• DRHayes
    DRHayes Member ✭✭
    Options

Is Quicken actually doing anything about the slowness issue? I saw a post that this was a known issue in August 2023 and then that was updated in October 23, saying that any updates would be posted as soon as they are available. Here it is 5 months later and there have been no updates. Maybe they are stonewalling and not really planning to do anything?

• RonOinAZ
    RonOinAZ Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken is owned by Aquiline Capital Partners, a Madison Avenue investment firm. Our experience is likely a reflection of their priorities.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DRHayes - there are posts on other threads that the latest update really improved things….

look at the R55.12 release notes:

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

@Mark1104
    I'm currently on R55.15. It's a improvement, but it's still a long way from being fixed.

My QDF is 103MB.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@dotcom - I suspect "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". who are the financial institutions? what is the age of your PC? those are factors that create variation to this process… how long is the update taking?

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    edited March 18
    Options

@Mark1104

As I posted (above) in December 2023:

On a brand new PC running Win 11 Pro with 32GB of RAM, Q was the first application I installed. I should have timed the One-Step Update not with a stopwatch, but with a calendar. That the company apparently lacks the competence to fix this is an abomination.

Keep in mind that Quicken is one of 100 companies in the portfolio of Aquiline Capital Partners LLC (as of 2021). The portfolio includes bank holding corporations and many other companies that are far larger than Quicken, which is tiny in comparison and likely a very low priority.

And in February 2024:

As I noted a while back, on my brand new Win 11 Pro PC with 32GB RAM and two 2TB SSDs, Quicken was the first thing I installed after unboxing the unit. Meh. Quicken runs ok, but not great. And when I try to update a lot of accounts with a One-Step Update simultaneously, it seems I'd be better off timing the operation with a calendar than a stop watch.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@dotcom - how many financial institutions are you attempting to update at the same time? which one finishes last?

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

Often as few as two.
    The slowest one finishes last.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18
    Options

@dotcom - well, of course the slowest one finishes last! Duh!

what is the NAME of THAT financial institution. It is quite possible the "slowness" is a function of THAT institution and nothing related to Quicken! How long does it take?

On average how long does OSU take for you? do you have unrealistic expectations?

I download from 3 large well known financial institutions and it's normally under 1 minute to complete OSU.

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

@Mark1104

I did answer the question exactly as you asked it, lol…

I don't give out personal information, including the names of institutions where I maintain various types of accounts. Suffice it to say that these are all among the largest and best-known financial institutions in the U.S.

My expectations are not unrealistic; Quicken has run perfectly fine for me for nearly 25 years. It's only within the past 18 months or so that performance has degraded precipitously. An OSU encompassing five accounts at three institutions can take from one to five minutes, even where there is a total of fewer than five (and sometimes zero) transactions to download.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Many OSU and connection issues can be financial institution-specific. Your situation might be one of those financial institution-specific issues however no one here will be able to help ascertain that if you do not provide the name of the financial institution in question. Of course, it is your choice as to what information you choose to provide in this forum or not provide. Just know that there is absolutely nothing personal nor confidential in the public name of a financial institution and listing some of the publicly available account offerings they have. Your choice but know that if you don't help those who are trying to help then you shouldn't expect much in return from them, either. Your best bet might then be to contact Quicken Support to see if they can assist in some manner.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac Months ago, I provided Quicken with all asked for information, including sanitized data files. Thank you!

• Miss Cast
    Miss Cast Member ✭✭
    Options

Also have used Quicken for mac since it first came out. Every 'upgrade' seems to slow things down, this latest is the worst. The status bar just hangs until you go away and do something else while you wait for it to fully update. Super disappointed.

• estevehannon
    estevehannon Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm running R55.26 on Windows 11. Quicken is significantly slower than a year ago. Everything takes longer - start-up, entering transactions, clearing transactions, downloading transactions, switching accounts… I monitor my CPU and memory usage, and neither is close to the limit. I have a vanilla PC setup (no compressed drive, Quicken file on local drive).

• bahrbend
    bahrbend Member ✭✭
    Options

My one step update just took over 1 minute to start. Feels like I'm using 1980's software.

• DotCom
    DotCom Member ✭✭
    Options

I still wonder where the performance bottleneck really lies. It could be the client software that runs on our computers. It could be Q's server-side routines that act as an intermediary between us and the institutions at which we have accounts. It could be the way those servers queue and combine our data from multiple institutions with a session for each before shooting the entirety down to us in a single One-Step Update session. It could be the communications protocols and possible poor packet handling. It could be that Q's servers are not running enough threads to handle a large number of users wishing to update their accounts simultaneously, whatever OS those servers run (Unix, Linux, Windows Server, etc.). [Ha, maybe it's OS/2 LAN Manager, or Windows NT, lol.] It could be problems with Q-supplied code that runs on the servers at the institutions where our accounts reside. It could be one tiny loop in one line of code in an obscure part of any of these. It could be a poorly designed specification in any of these places. It could be a Q server, router, or modem that is sending corrupt packets, requiring dozens or thousands of retries. The fact is, there are innumerable places to investigate. It's not simply a matter of the software that runs on our PCs. The entire chain requires checking out, link by link.

And there's still the question of whether this is important to the holding company that currently owns Q, of which relatively small Q is just one of 100 companies in its portfolio.