Add capability to enter stock options / restricted stock grants in Quicken Mac (63 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No it does not exist. That is why you should add your vote on page 1 if you have not already.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Trevor00
    Trevor00 Member
    It's hard to justify the subscription price while still missing major features like this one.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Trevor, this type of determination is something each Quicken user has to make for themselves. There are lots of desired features which are missing as they slowly build out the Mac product. The developers are addressing the issues they believe affect the largest number of users and/or that are most debilitating to users. Other factors involve which of their programmers work on certain areas of the program and what projects they've been assigned to work on, and the complexity of the changes needed. This feature hasn't yet hit the right combination of those factors to have been addressed yet; hopefully it will be in the future. Progress is being made, but unfortunately, it's slow.

But going back to what I said initially, while this may make Quicken Mac difficult to use -- or  not usable -- for you, for many users who don't have stock options, it's a non-issue. So for many users, the subscription price is worthwhile to have a functioning Quicken product on the Mac. For others, it's not there yet, and the hope is that over time, it will continue to evolve into a worthy successor to the venerable Quicken 2007 for Mac or a viable side grade to Quicken Windows.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • neodocjdg
    neodocjdg Member ✭✭
    I was advised to drop a message here. I see that Quicken for Mac does now handle stock options but there are still some issues. When I sell a stock option, Quicken for Mac downloads the transaction as "Buy To Cover" instead of "Sell". My workaround has been to correct the transaction to "sell" which works, but then each time I download new transactions, it downloads a new "Buy to cover" transaction, not recognizing that it already downloaded that transaction. I tried to leave those incorrect transactions but they affect the cash balance so that doesn't work. In some cases it keeps downloading that incorrect "buy to cover" transaction multiple times. If it was just one broker, then I'd think it was a brokerage problem but it happens with two different brokers so I know it's a Quicken problem. The problem goes away after about a week for each trade but this is an unacceptable amount of work to constantly correct each account and would probably be a deal breaker for me if not fixed.
  • Brauhaus
    Brauhaus Member ✭✭
    I trade options spreads in an online brokerage account. When I download into Quicken I'm seeing two problems with trades where I close out the spread before it expires. First, the "Long" side of the spread shows up with a type of "Bought to Cover" -- it should be "Sell" - and second, I see multiple copies of the same transaction (Same FITID). This happens consistently, and while it can be fixed by manually changing the type on the first transaction, and then deleting subsequent dupes, that "solution" isn't long term viable. Quicken Support says it is an E*Trade problem, E*Trade said it is Quicken problem.
  • Tony
    Tony Member ✭✭
    > @Brauhaus said:
    > First, the "Long" side of the spread shows up with a type of "Bought to Cover" -- it should be "Sell" - and second, I see multiple copies of the same transaction (Same FITID). This happens consistently, and while it can be fixed by manually changing the type on the first transaction, and then deleting subsequent dupes, that "solution" isn't long term viable. Quicken Support says it is an E*Trade problem, E*Trade said it is Quicken problem.

I had EXACTLY the same issue and EXACTLY the same conversation with QM support. They blamed Schwab. The same transactions work correctly in Quicken on my PC. I would rather work on my Mac, but the stubborn, arrogance of Quicken Mac's support drove me away.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2020
    I have discussed this with Support a few times, agree not much action from the support folks, I was fortunate on one occasion to hook up with a guy who got involved, he confirmed exactly the same  issue with Call options. I have the issue with Wells Fargo Advisors, , I did a vertical spread a few weeks back on Schwab and got the same result as your self.

The fact that QM downloads the selling of the call option as a buy to cover shows that QM does not understand the difference between selling a covered call & buying a call option. Its easy enough to simply change the transaction to a Sell , its the multiple downloads that irks me, I note that it does stop after 7-10 days

If one of the key super users sees this can it get some elevation?
  • Tony
    Tony Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I was frustrated with QM Support's insistence that there was nothing wrong with their software (after nearly 2 hours on the phone with them). When I read here that multiple users have reported the exact same issue to them, I am angry.

How does Support not know of this issue? They must know. It shows either ineptness or unbelievable arrogance to repeatedly insist there is nothing wrong with QMac when multiple users report the same issue. Either way, it is a bad look for Quicken.
  • JamesE112
    JamesE112 Member ✭✭
    This feature should have been introduced years ago. I just vote for it after discovering this thread.
  • DavidG
    DavidG Member ✭✭
    When I sell a stock option, Quicken for Mac downloads the transaction as "Buy To Cover" instead of "Sell". Please fix.
  • adsoft2015
    adsoft2015 Mac Beta Beta
    Investments: This is another request in the series of Investment Enhancements I'm requesting from Quicken.

I'd like to see more Investment Types when I enter Investment Transactions. I often sell various stock options, including covered calls, naked puts, etc. I know that I can use the "Sell Short"/"Buy to Cover" options, however, these don't truly represent the option trades that I'm doing. It would be nice to see more options under the Investment Types including:
    * Buy to Open
    * Buy to Close
    * Sell to Open
    * Sell to Close
    Quicken user since 1992... Version 1!
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @adsoft2015

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to share your feature request. There is an ongoing Idea for the ability to track options. I have merged your post into the ongoing Idea.

This Idea has been marked as "Under Consideration" meaning that the idea is being reviewed by our development team however, it has not officially been added to the development roadmap. I do not have an ETA to provide on when or if this will be available.

This post will be updated as soon more information becomes available.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Cyrano
    Cyrano Member
    Quicken for Mac REALLY needs to add the ability to track, grant, vest, exercise, etc. employee stock options. The Windows platform does it. It is ludicrous that this feature is platform specific...
  • you are not kidding, I couldn't believe this is not available!
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Cyrano & @jeffholland,

Thank you for sharing your request with the Community.

I went ahead and merged the Idea to this active Idea thread regarding this topic which is currently marked as Under Consideration.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. Please, be sure to add your own vote as well by clicking the up arrow (see example below).

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• rbala84
    rbala84 Member ✭✭
    Same here !! I just couldn't handle it that quicken for Mac does not have this feature - the US investment vehicle is stocks and ESPP - ability to add that on Quicken for Mac seems logical.
  • AlfaCharlie
    AlfaCharlie Member ✭✭
    Fully support the idea. I cannot believe that this conversation has been going on for five years and has been under consideration for two. And, while they are it, they should support downloading this information directly from the brokerage accounts (like E-Trade).
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @AlfaCharlie @rbala84 @jeffholland @CyranoFor everyone who wants to see this issue tackled, please make sure you go to the first page of this thread and add your vote. (In the yellow box under the first post, click the little arrow if it is black to add your vote; if the arrow is light gray, you have already voted for it). I note that this topic has only received 9 votes in the past 2 years; more votes would help get this pushed up higher on the developers' priority list.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • AlfaCharlie
    AlfaCharlie Member ✭✭
    @jacobs — Thanks for the reminder. It is light gray for me so a reminder that I had already voted for it back in the day. I gave up on Quicken for Mac (it did not meet my needs for many other reasons) and I am trying it again. I am glad to see the improvements but still surprised that this capability has not been ported over from the Windows platform. As @rbala84 mentioned before, Stock Options and Restricted Stock Units are quite common compensation mechanisms in the US.

Alternatively, I would be happy if Quicken Mac started by downloading the total value of the account from the brokerage account included the NSOs and RSUs (in line with the improvements that Markus Quicken mentioned as part of 6.5 upgrade). Unfortunately that is not working either with E-Trade.
  • rbala84
    rbala84 Member ✭✭
    @jacobs - It’s not light grayed - but when i click the up vote - the count doesn’t increase
  • Wayne Dibble
    Wayne Dibble Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Community" said:
    > Add the capability in Quicken for Mac to enter stock options and restricted stock grants just like Quicken for Windows has.

Quoting from a 2016 post - Quicken please update the Mac version for RSU, RS and ESOG entries. I don't need pretty colored tags, or other silly updates. I just need to track all finances. Also, maybe at Paycheck function which is another long standing weakness of Mac version. There should be a disclaimer before buying quicken for Mac listing all functions the Mac version cannot do.
  • JLB005
    JLB005 Member ✭✭
    Please update Mac version to track stock options, SARS, restricted stock, etc.
  • tconnell
    tconnell Member ✭✭✭
    Please update Mac version to track stock options, SARS, restricted stock, etc.
  • Catherine Tobin
    Catherine Tobin Member ✭✭
    Agree
  • 4pickering
    4pickering Member ✭✭
    Totally agree. Desperately needed
  • prbsparx
    prbsparx Member ✭✭
    Sad to see this still hasn't been added after at least 4 years of asking for it...
  • Catherine Tobin
    Catherine Tobin Member ✭✭
    I know!! I don’t understand why they have it for windows but not Mac
  • rbala84
    rbala84 Member ✭✭
    When can we get this - every update -I'm anxiously looking to see if this is added for macOS - You guys are having bunch investment improvements - why don't you get this in ?
  • JPA56
    JPA56 Member ✭✭
    I've recently migrated from Windows to Mac and my investments were way off. Finally started over with just downloading what it would let me....losing years of history. Still not able to get my options right. Starting to wonder if it's even worth it.
  • JPA56
    JPA56 Member ✭✭
    Just tried to vote & it wouldn't let me. Perhaps they've given up on it.