Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5.4 Released

Options

Comments

• Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Thank you for the improvement on splits. I've gotten better at figuring out how to edit an existing split in order so that I don't have to re-enter the first split line item.

There is an unrelated split issue, but I have a workaround so it is not a huge deal. In the register view for an account (or multiple accounts, e.g., All Transactions) when I sort what I see by Category the Split items show up as if "Split" is the name of a category and I don't get the underlying line items sorted appropriately. I suppose it would be nice to have a checkbox to expand all splits to solve this. The workaround is that when I export the Register Transactions to CSV the individual line items show up on separate rows with the same date, check#, and payee [thank goodness!]. Thus I can sort the spreadsheet by Category the way I like. I haven't checked to see yet if anyone has pointed this out or made a suggestion to vote on.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim Jones said:

A significant bug has still not been fixed that has been reported long ago. When "Show Memo/Notes" is set in a Category Summary report that memo/notes column does not get included in the exported data with the Export CSV button.

Also disappointed that users still cannot choose to show other columns in a Category Summary report (like Check#), change column order and widths, and export to CSV all that is shown. But I'd be happy if the exported CSV included ALL unseen columns since we can use a spreadsheet app to delete what is unnecessary and reorder/resize columns to create a desired report.

Thanks for the feedback. I know it is far from ideal...but imagine the fact that many people were missing the opportunity to vote at all because they did not even know they could. 

Unfortunately, the effort to organize this info has been grass-roots (mostly by me) and is not maintained by anyone at Quicken (other than some assistive support from the moderators; thx guys). At least Quicken has made it possible for an avenue to voice our desires; wish it was more hands on.

Anyway, if there is an easier way to make the process clearer, let me know and I can see how/if I can incorporate it or make the instructions clearer.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim Jones said:

A significant bug has still not been fixed that has been reported long ago. When "Show Memo/Notes" is set in a Category Summary report that memo/notes column does not get included in the exported data with the Export CSV button.

Also disappointed that users still cannot choose to show other columns in a Category Summary report (like Check#), change column order and widths, and export to CSV all that is shown. But I'd be happy if the exported CSV included ALL unseen columns since we can use a spreadsheet app to delete what is unnecessary and reorder/resize columns to create a desired report.

@Quicken Marcus and others interested, I spent the better of the fall/winter of 2016/2017 categorizing all the IDEA posts on this forum for Quicken for Mac. Actually, I only achieved getting through about 70-75% of them, as it has been a huge effort to review and organize them (I do maintain a list of many of the remaining ones that still need to be categorized and documented). This is a work in progress and I have had to back off for a while due to other priorities.

Nevertheless, take a look at the Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On
     (and the EXPANDED List of Categorized IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On)

In it you will also find a way to search for all the IDEA posts for Quicken for Mac, albeit as an uncategorized list.

I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

For those waiting to upgrade, this will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to upgrade by seeking to have the features you are used to in QM2007 or QWin end up in the latest version.

Your VOTE matters!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim said:

Thank you for the improvement on splits. I've gotten better at figuring out how to edit an existing split in order so that I don't have to re-enter the first split line item.

There is an unrelated split issue, but I have a workaround so it is not a huge deal. In the register view for an account (or multiple accounts, e.g., All Transactions) when I sort what I see by Category the Split items show up as if "Split" is the name of a category and I don't get the underlying line items sorted appropriately. I suppose it would be nice to have a checkbox to expand all splits to solve this. The workaround is that when I export the Register Transactions to CSV the individual line items show up on separate rows with the same date, check#, and payee [thank goodness!]. Thus I can sort the spreadsheet by Category the way I like. I haven't checked to see yet if anyone has pointed this out or made a suggestion to vote on.

Not sure if you have been a past QM2007 user but something like this is relegated to reports where there is a feature to show split lines (specifically the Transactions Details report). Not sure of the new capabilities just recently introduced in QM2017 v4.5 but I know some are still missing. The closest IDEA request is this post:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/expanding-split-transactions?topic-reply-list%5B...
    as a subset of the IDEA for Expanding split transactions options.

But are you asking to be able to show splits lines AND sort the individual split lines in the register view? If so, I do not believe the register view is the proper place to do that. Instead, what would be needed to achieve that is relegated to reports and would be achieved with the following 2 IDEAs (currently available in QM2007): This is part of the List of Requests for Report Related FeaturesClick on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim Jones said:

@JimThe take away here is that for every vote anything gets, it is the tip of the iceberg of others who never found their way to the individual page in which they could vote.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct...I am able to and have been tracking this for some time and I can confirm that there are well over 300 votes for the LIST of something but no follow-up votes for the individual IDEAs (even though there are instructions in bold indicating that voting for a list does not capture votes for the individual items).

So absolutely, there are many votes not being captured. I wish there was a way for me to communicate directly with each of these individuals to point this out but unfortunately this forum lacks call-outs or PMs to do that. 

@Quicken Marcus please take note.

P.S. Having the categorized lists and pointing them out to users of this forum has significantly increased user participation, feedback and capture of votes.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options

Marcus,

I had posted this in the prior thread, but did not get any response.  Is this something unique to me?

==============================================

I was just notified to download the latest release of Quicken for Mac.  I performed the download and am now on release 4.5.4

In my previous use I go to the All Transactions view with the filter set to "Not Reviewed" to see my not reviewed transactions.   In this new release this filter does not seem to work as I now continue to see all transactions both reviewed and not reviewed.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jim, the diagonal bar is actually supposed to be a pen, pencil or crayon (depending on your state of mind):

Status Icons QM 2016
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim Jones said:

@smayer97... I agree that it is less than ideal and it's too bad there is not a system better suited to this. BUT... On behalf of the rest of us, I want to THANK YOU for putting in so much effort to organize all this. I am constantly referring it to it and citing the links and there's no way I could have kept track of it all without your HUGE effort on this. So once again, THANK YOU!!!
  • JSH56
    JSH56 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    JSH56 said:

Great update. Like the new loan capability. 

HOWEVER, I am now getting Loan Sync Errors on Principal and Interest. I think it is due to the fact that the loan payment calculated by Quicken is different than my actual loan payments. How can this be remedied? (I tried to add principal, but in one case, the calculated loan payment is too high)

Not an auto loan. But they are Daily Simple Interest personal loans.
    All of them are, as a matter of fact.  So I assume the new loan feature will not work for me. Aren't these common loans?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    JSH56 said:

HOWEVER, I am now getting Loan Sync Errors on Principal and Interest. I think it is due to the fact that the loan payment calculated by Quicken is different than my actual loan payments. How can this be remedied? (I tried to add principal, but in one case, the calculated loan payment is too high)

Loan:Mortgage calculation is off-by-one.  Use google docs; observe that ‘-PMT(0.0275/12, 180, 424297)’  != 2879.38 (what the quicken wizard states)image
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Curious if reports function yet with tags like Q2007 used to work with classes?

Categories on the left as rows and classes on the top as columns
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I like the new loan features, but with 4.5.4 (Build 45.17432.100), it seems I can no longer Reconcile my loan accounts.  Is this expected?

Yes, I reconcile the mortgage directly.  Like smayer97 said, I want to make sure that my interest matches what I'll be getting in my 1099.  In fact, I just updated my account to download from Nationstar, so I was expecting reconciliation to be easier with 4.5.4.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim Jones said:

YWC. I know Quicken developers are following some of this stuff. Now let's hope it carries some meaningful weight with them.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Brad C said:

Thank you for fixing the loan issue... that was a much needed upgrade.  I just transitioned to Quicken Mac after more than 10 years on the Windows version, so it was very frustrating to not have that feature.

Along those same lines, is it possible to budget transfers for other asset accounts?  For example, I like my budget to reflect cash transfers in my 401K, HSA, 529s, etc.  It really throws off my budget each month that I can't see those cash transfers to the various deferred accounts.

@Quicken Marcus I do hope priority is being given to the items that are literally obstacles to at least QM2007 users from upgrading, let alone QWin users, as per this list:
    List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for Mac

(People can vote on the related IDEAs still missing from QMac specific to this issue to enable and/or facilitate upgrading from QM2007 or QWin).

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jsurpless said:

Curious if reports function yet with tags like Q2007 used to work with classes?

Categories on the left as rows and classes on the top as columns

No...this is one of the key fundamental report types still missing from QMac...

You can add your VOTE for the Columnar report (with selectable choices for rows and columns).

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Report Types. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

• Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Marcus,

I had posted this in the prior thread, but did not get any response.  Is this something unique to me?

I was just notified to download the latest release of Quicken for Mac.  I performed the download and am now on release 4.5.4

In my previous use I go to the All Transactions view with the filter set to "Not Reviewed" to see my not reviewed transactions.   In this new release this filter does not seem to work as I now continue to see all transactions both reviewed and not reviewed.

I thought it looked like a pen but didn't want to commit. It made little sense to me as a "flag for review" icon so I guessed maybe a baton or flag pole. Thanks for letting me know.
  • Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim said:

Actually I am asking for the splits to be replaced by the individual items if we check a box for that to occur so that if we sort by the category field they will each be in the proper sorted place. If you look at the exported register that is exactly what one gets (they handled that perfectly IMO). The only indication of a split is a separate column for split status with an "s" to indicate that-- otherwise they each have identical date, payee, and check#. I don't think this is requested as a feature to vote on and it is a bit cumbersome to write up. I would also be afraid if they fixed this but changed the way register exporting worked, so I have not written it up.

An alternative would be not to give users such a checkbox to unsplit all splits in the register view but rather do so automatically whenever the user sorts by category, and return to showing splits as one when sorted by date or other fields.
  • mistertheplague
    mistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim Jones said:

Second RickO. Thanks smayer97
    Quicken Premier Mac and Windows
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim said:

The reason it works in an export is because your are essentially moving to another "reporting" or organizing format. But that is exactly what reports are supposed to do in Quicken. It works as you indicate in QM2007 using the features I listed above. They have yet to make this possible in QM2017. 

As a database developer in the past myself, I can tell you from experience that what you are asking for is not an easy task. They would have to redesign the functionality of the user interface of register views. The easiest and most suitable place to do what you want would be using Quicken reports, IMHO.

• Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim said:

But it seems to me that an SQL type of request that dumps things to an extract could have a similar counterpart for the register view. I imagine that it may even have been more complicated in their coding to show a split as one item than as multiple individual transactions in the first place. But you are right... it is likely much more complicated than I imagine.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim Jones said:

It has been a massive project, indeed, and I appreciate the time you've poured into it. I just wish I could feel more encouraged that it's truly worth all the effort.

Finding the category of desired enhancement and digging down to specific feature requests and voting up each such request has clearly been too much for many casual visitors to this site. The number of votes for even the ideas with the highest vote totals is so small relative to the Quicken Mac user base -- perhaps around 0.1%? -- that I don't know how much the developers can (or do) use a few hundred votes, or just a few dozen in most cases, to drive their development plans. And the pace of development suggests it will take several more years to make a sizeable dent in the wishlist.

There's no reason not to keep fighting the good fight; I just wish there were more signs that this approach is really making a difference.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim Jones said:

One of my worries is that the new development team is focused more on new features and treating all votes equally between long time loyal users off Quicken and new users who have not explored all the reporting stuff but are interested in Zillow and such.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim Jones said:

@Jim one of my concerns too...That's why I hope Quicken Marcus takes to heart my post about the obstacles for loyal users of legacy Quicken that need to move forward and gives it top priority...

many of the items will satisfy the needs of users new to Quicken too, so many of the items should have broad appeal, even from a marketing perspective.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim Jones said:

@jacobs from experience I deal with another major brand with a worldwide audience via GetSat and I can tell you that sometimes it does not take a lot of votes to get the attention of developers to implement something even of significance; as little as a couple of dozen. So I would not let the absolute numbers be dissuasive. 

Though, I do wish there was more engagement from the developers to communicate what intentions they have with each IDEA, by at least using the GetSat statuses. GetSat was developed with this in mind. I wish Quicken would use it as intended.

• Steve122@
    Steve122@ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    JSH56 said:

Are you saying the payment is off by one cent? If so, I have this issue too.

I have a 15 year, $382,500 loan, 2.875% interest rate.  If you use an exact payment formula (which you can find on the internet), you will calculate pmt = $2618.540668. My actual payment is $2618.54 so the fractional cent was appropriately rounded down. But Quicken Mac 2017 (4.5.4) says the pmt is $2618.55, so it rounded the fractional cent up. This is annoying.

I just put your numbers in the exact payment formula and get pmt = $2879.370912,
    so Quicken rounded your payment up as well.

There are two ways to fix this:

1. Enter an Extra Principal payment of -$0.01 (yes, a negative payment of 1 cent). This is annoying and ugly too. Every monthly payment will include an extra -$0.01 principal payment. So I opted for the next fix.

2. Put in a lower Original Balance until Quicken gets the payment right. In my case, I put in $382,499.94.  With this, the Quicken payment was $2618.54. In this case, Quicken will make a $0.06 adjustment and a $0.06 payment at the beginning of the loan, but I can live with that.

I'm not sure why Quicken would round up such a small fraction of a cent.
  • David Argust
    David Argust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Marcus,

The functionality in the prior release was that only the blue dot items showed in the not reviewed.  This allowed for easy review of all items that were downloaded.  It was especially useful prior to the blue dot appearing on accounts which contained not reviewed items.   Having the pencil items which are items you entered but have not yet matched in my mind makes the function less useful and is less clear.   What was not reviewed.  

In addition I find that the blue dot on the accounts is not 100% reliable.  I have some downloads that show up when I look at the "ALL TRANSACTION" view filter by "not reviewed" that do not have the blue dot on the account.   Also after I have viewed an account with a blue dot, even if I have not changed the transaction to reviewed, the blue dot on the account disappears when I switch to another view.  In the prior release I could still easily find these transaction in the "ALL TRANSACTION" view filters by "not reviewed".
    If this is an "new enhancement" in the release, my preference is for the prior function.  If it was an "unintended consequence" of some other change, please flag it as a bug.

Thanks for your input.
  • RickO
    edited May 2017
    Options

Marcus,

There was a former bug that the orange pencil not reviewed items were missing from the filter. It was fixed in 4.4.x. Orange pencil not reviewed items are properly included in the filter since they are (after all) "not reviewed" and that what the filter is filtering for. 

If you want a filter for only blue dot items, then you should be requesting a "Downloaded but not matched" filter to be added.
  • Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    JSH56 said:

As a computer scientist, I have some guesses of the root cause of the apparent error in the rounded result. I suspect they treat the financial values as floating point values. When floating point is used for simple dollars and cents values tiny fractional errors get introduced because some values cannot be represented in the underlying base-2 representation (i.e., 0s and 1s) that our computers use. It is analogous to our inability to write 1/3 in a certain number of digits in our base-10 world (0.33333 is not exact). Something as simple as 0.10 (10 cents) cannot be represented in a certain number of base-2 digits by a computer. Most of the time we don't see the problem because rounding to the nearest cent occurs only when a value gets displayed for us to see. But there are some oddities in today's rounding functions and even I get tripped up and have to refresh myself on the IEEE standard for how rounding works. 

Here is a link, from a Python programmer's perspective that gives some simple examples of the rounding problem (I think it uses the IEEE standard): 
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34620633/how-does-rounding-in-python-work

FYI - rounding to the nearest cent was not a problem in the OLD days when most business computing occurred on IBM 360 or 370 mainframes that included circuitry for doing "decimal fixed point arithmetic", but our PCs, workstations, and servers today only do binary arithmetic (either binary integer or binary floating-point), but not decimal fixed-point.

Sorry that this does not satisfy anyone. The solution is that programmers have to be aware of the problem and how to avoid it from the beginning, when deciding what type of data they will use to model the system.
  • Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Marcus,

If the blue dot appears on a given transaction in the ALL TRANSACTIONS view but not when viewed in the account containing that transaction (or vice versa), then that sounds like a bug to me.
  • RickO
    edited May 2017
    Options

Marcus,

Agree, but not the part of the question I was addressing.
  • Alex Lindberg
    Alex Lindberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I like the new loan features, but with 4.5.4 (Build 45.17432.100), it seems I can no longer Reconcile my loan accounts.  Is this expected?

Short answer - Yes.  Loan reconciliation (or any account for that matter) should be a user option.  Loans are an odd type of account.  Since each financial institution calculates principal and interest splits just a little different, the ability to adjust accounts for this is necessary and (if king for a day) a requirement Quicken must support.  If memory servers, the Windows version allows for this.
This discussion has been closed.