Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5.4 Released

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    km-nm said:

I like the new loan features, but with 4.5.4 (Build 45.17432.100), it seems I can no longer Reconcile my loan accounts.  Is this expected?

Agreed...yes for being able to make adjustments for the account. In QM2007 you perform an adjustment as of a specific date. The adjustment gets entered and all previous transactions are marked as reconciled.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Jim Jones said:

A significant bug has still not been fixed that has been reported long ago. When "Show Memo/Notes" is set in a Category Summary report that memo/notes column does not get included in the exported data with the Export CSV button.

Also disappointed that users still cannot choose to show other columns in a Category Summary report (like Check#), change column order and widths, and export to CSV all that is shown. But I'd be happy if the exported CSV included ALL unseen columns since we can use a spreadsheet app to delete what is unnecessary and reorder/resize columns to create a desired report.

why can't I get this update???  I am still using v4.4.3
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Jim Jones said:

A significant bug has still not been fixed that has been reported long ago. When "Show Memo/Notes" is set in a Category Summary report that memo/notes column does not get included in the exported data with the Export CSV button.

Also disappointed that users still cannot choose to show other columns in a Category Summary report (like Check#), change column order and widths, and export to CSV all that is shown. But I'd be happy if the exported CSV included ALL unseen columns since we can use a spreadsheet app to delete what is unnecessary and reorder/resize columns to create a desired report.

Did you purchase from the Mac App Store? If so there will be a delay until it is released.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Straz
    Straz Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You report having gotten a lot of complaints before about splits changing the first split line from others, but for me, the previous behavior of updating the first split line to keep the overall total unchanged was exactly what I wanted. Since the upgrade, my current cash entry, in which I start with $500 from my bank's ATM, and later document where it all went, is no longer automatically in the first line to keep the total unchanged. Instead, it adds a correcting entry to the bottom each time I add a detail line, forcing me to use a calculator to figure out the needed correction to apply manually to the first line of the split after my changes. If I understand correctly, this won't happen the next time I create such an entry, so long as I never manually edit that first line's amount. We'll see. Meanwhile, I wish there were an option to turn off the new behavior for those of us that liked it the old way.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Love the update. Weirdly, my loan payment number is off my one  (one too high, as if it started counting at 2) even though I entered the first payment date appropriately. The last payment (in 25 years or so) in Quicken thus combines the actual last two payments on the Payment Schedule and ends in 12/2042 instead of 1/2043 and makes the payment larger than it should be (since it is combining two months).

My hunch is that Quicken has trouble dealing with the loan being funded in 12/2012 but the first payment not being due until 2/2013, so it is counting payment 1 as a zero amount.

Any thoughts?

Also, a quick question: if my loan amortizes correctly as it does (sans the last two payments) is there any reason for online access to my loan provider? It does not seem as if anything would actually be done.

And ... I kind of liked the old split calculation better as well, but it's not as critical now that loans are handled correctly. Thanks for that!
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Marcus,
    I love the work the Quicken team is doing to make Quicken for Mac better with each release.  Thank you so much.  Happy to see Loan Amortization added.  There is an issue that I believe needs to be addressed.  I pay my bills through a Brokerage Cash Management Account (CMA) through an investment company.  This account is a checking account within a brokerage account.  Many brokerage accounts have check writing features.  There are many of these types of accounts available.  In Quicken 2017 I am able to enter deposits and make payments from my CMA just fine.  When I bring up this account Quicken allows Payment/Deposits to be made including entering check #s.  Here is the problem.  When I set up my loan account and get to the screen to select from which account the loan should be paid my CMA is not in the list because it is a brokerage account!  You need to make ALL accounts available in the Pay From drop down list in the loan set up.  This loan payment is the only bill I cannot set up to be paid from my CMA.  So, I had to convert the loan back to a liability and now have to make manual entries for this loan payment in my CMA.  I can't use the Loan Amortization feature.  Bottom line is you need to let us set up our loans to be paid from any account.  Does anyone have a work around for this issue?
  • qmac_scott
    qmac_scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

I installed the latest update, and was horrified to see that the program rewrote some reconciled transactions as different amounts! Specifically, recurring transactions that had changed their amounts in 2017 were recorded as the 2016 amounts, even for bank transactions that had cleared correctly. There did not seem to be any way to fix these numbers, so I had to back out and restore my previous Quicken version and data file. 

Has any progress been made on debugging this? I am holding off upgrading until this one is found/fixed or proved to be false because this is a scary one since I am not sure I'd even notice until it was to late to revert to a backup! Thank you.
  • RickO
    edited May 2017

I installed the latest update, and was horrified to see that the program rewrote some reconciled transactions as different amounts! Specifically, recurring transactions that had changed their amounts in 2017 were recorded as the 2016 amounts, even for bank transactions that had cleared correctly. There did not seem to be any way to fix these numbers, so I had to back out and restore my previous Quicken version and data file. 

I just updated to 4.5.4 and did not have this issue, FYI. I did however, have my investment account balances thrown off, which I'll report below.
  • RickO
    edited April 2018
    Just updated to 4.5.4. It went smoothly except that my investment balances where all out of whack.

On further investigation, I found that opening balance placeholder transactions had been entered in several of the accounts. In one case, there was a $300,000+ positive opening balance adjustment added for an account that has an approximate $4,000 balance.

After deleting these erroneous placeholders, all balances returned to normal. Note that this only affected the cash balances in the accounts, not the quantities of security holdings.
  • RickO
    edited May 2017
    @Marcus.... A bug has been introduced in 4.5.4 that causes an investment quote update to be triggered when a Pay Now action on a Direct Connect Bill Pay checking account transaction has completed. This should not occur when the user has automatic quote download disabled in Preferences. 

For more detail, see here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/qmac-2017-v4-5-4-bill-pay-manage-investments-bug...
  • David Argust
    David Argust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Marcus,

I had posted this in the prior thread, but did not get any response.  Is this something unique to me?

==============================================

I was just notified to download the latest release of Quicken for Mac.  I performed the download and am now on release 4.5.4

In my previous use I go to the All Transactions view with the filter set to "Not Reviewed" to see my not reviewed transactions.   In this new release this filter does not seem to work as I now continue to see all transactions both reviewed and not reviewed.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

isn't the pencil on an item for something that was manually entered.  If I manually entered something why do I want to later review it.   What I want to review is something I haven't seen before which would be something that was downloaded.

Admittedly my opinion, but the prior function seems much more logical than the current function.   I guess it depends upon what your definition of reviewing means.
  • RickO
    edited May 2017

Marcus,

I had posted this in the prior thread, but did not get any response.  Is this something unique to me?

I was just notified to download the latest release of Quicken for Mac.  I performed the download and am now on release 4.5.4

In my previous use I go to the All Transactions view with the filter set to "Not Reviewed" to see my not reviewed transactions.   In this new release this filter does not seem to work as I now continue to see all transactions both reviewed and not reviewed.

You can use "reviewed" to mean anything you want.

Manually entered transactions have an orange pencil when entered, then the pencil turns blue when it is downloaded and matched. I mark these reviewed to acknowledge that I've seen the download match and that I've shredded or filed the receipt.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    and a related issue that I have seen reported before is that predictive typing of the sub-category does not seem to work when typing ":" as it automatically selects the first one. See here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/typing-a-category-and-colon-not-working-with-pre...

• Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I can confirm also that this is happening.  Definitely defaults to the first category item in the list after you type the first ":" (colon) after typing the first few letters of the parent category.  The full name of the parent category is populated but as soon as you type the colon for the subcategory Quicken defaults to the first item on the Category list.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    JSH56 said:

Great update. Like the new loan capability. 

HOWEVER, I am now getting Loan Sync Errors on Principal and Interest. I think it is due to the fact that the loan payment calculated by Quicken is different than my actual loan payments. How can this be remedied? (I tried to add principal, but in one case, the calculated loan payment is too high)

It is a rounding error but not because we were sloppy about it.  We are very aware of the rounding issues.  We spent months trying to get the formula right trying different loans from different providers and came to the conclusion that there doesn't appear to be a standard way of rounding by the industry.  It's different for every loan provider so our calculation will be off by a cent. Sometimes it will be right on target. And you can't use loan calculators on the web and assume they are correct.  We've come across many that are just flat out broken. In the end, it doesn't really matter as long as interest is correct.  Sorry, I know this is a little annoying but I assure you we spent a bunch of time on this.  Quicken Windows works the same way.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017

Marcus,

Sorry, I read it and meant to reply but couldn't find the bug that we had on this.  A beta tester also reported this and it's not 100% reproducible but I forget the exact instances of why it works most of the time but sometimes doesn't.  I'll keep looking for the ticket to provide more details but thought I would respond so you know I read this.  
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    JSH56 said:

Great update. Like the new loan capability. 

HOWEVER, I am now getting Loan Sync Errors on Principal and Interest. I think it is due to the fact that the loan payment calculated by Quicken is different than my actual loan payments. How can this be remedied? (I tried to add principal, but in one case, the calculated loan payment is too high)

I have two loans set up in Quicken 2017.  One is spot on! It is amortized correctly to the penny.  The other (different loan company) is off by .02 each month.  I can handle that.  Interestingly, this loan is a zero interest loan.  Because most loan amounts divided by the number of payments in the loan result in an odd final payment amount in the last month I wonder if Quicken isn't able to calculate a monthly payment that is the same for all months except the last.  Just wondering.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    I saw the category weirdness last night.  I was trying to add a new sub-category but couldn't.  I'll write up a ticket for this and we'll fix it asap.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    jsurpless said:

Curious if reports function yet with tags like Q2007 used to work with classes?

Categories on the left as rows and classes on the top as columns

We definitely know this is an important report especially those that track property.  We do not have this ability yet.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Jim said:

Thank you for the improvement on splits. I've gotten better at figuring out how to edit an existing split in order so that I don't have to re-enter the first split line item.

There is an unrelated split issue, but I have a workaround so it is not a huge deal. In the register view for an account (or multiple accounts, e.g., All Transactions) when I sort what I see by Category the Split items show up as if "Split" is the name of a category and I don't get the underlying line items sorted appropriately. I suppose it would be nice to have a checkbox to expand all splits to solve this. The workaround is that when I export the Register Transactions to CSV the individual line items show up on separate rows with the same date, check#, and payee [thank goodness!]. Thus I can sort the spreadsheet by Category the way I like. I haven't checked to see yet if anyone has pointed this out or made a suggestion to vote on.

Thanks for this suggestion.  Can you explain your use case or why this layout is helpful to you?  I can guess but I like to better understand the big picture.  Thanks.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017

I'm working with Pamela on this.  I haven't been able to reproduce it yet but she's tried it multiple times and it happens for her all the time.  Not sure what is unique in her file yet.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Straz said:

You report having gotten a lot of complaints before about splits changing the first split line from others, but for me, the previous behavior of updating the first split line to keep the overall total unchanged was exactly what I wanted. Since the upgrade, my current cash entry, in which I start with $500 from my bank's ATM, and later document where it all went, is no longer automatically in the first line to keep the total unchanged. Instead, it adds a correcting entry to the bottom each time I add a detail line, forcing me to use a calculator to figure out the needed correction to apply manually to the first line of the split after my changes. If I understand correctly, this won't happen the next time I create such an entry, so long as I never manually edit that first line's amount. We'll see. Meanwhile, I wish there were an option to turn off the new behavior for those of us that liked it the old way.

The functionality of changing the 1st line now only works the first time you're creating the splits.  Are you going back to that transaction later multiple times every time you spend the cash?  Yup, that makes perfect sense to me.  If you are doing this, then unfortunately the new behavior won't work for you.  There are 2 ways around this.  1) You can enter in all of the split items at the same time.  This continues to work as it used to but once you save, it fall back to adding a remainder. Or 2) You can add separate transaction for each item you spend on.  I think this is what most people do but I can understand the desire to see the hierarchy of where the cash came from and what it was spent on. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017

Love the update. Weirdly, my loan payment number is off my one  (one too high, as if it started counting at 2) even though I entered the first payment date appropriately. The last payment (in 25 years or so) in Quicken thus combines the actual last two payments on the Payment Schedule and ends in 12/2042 instead of 1/2043 and makes the payment larger than it should be (since it is combining two months).

My hunch is that Quicken has trouble dealing with the loan being funded in 12/2012 but the first payment not being due until 2/2013, so it is counting payment 1 as a zero amount.

Any thoughts?

Also, a quick question: if my loan amortizes correctly as it does (sans the last two payments) is there any reason for online access to my loan provider? It does not seem as if anything would actually be done.

And ... I kind of liked the old split calculation better as well, but it's not as critical now that loans are handled correctly. Thanks for that!

Oh interesting.  You may want to try entering in the Maturity date instead of the first payment date to see if that corrects the issue.  It sounds like you know the maturity date should be 1/2043 so enter that in to see if it changes things.  If that doesn't work then it would be helpful to have the numbers you entered in the loan details screen.  It doesn't have to be your actual numbers but something that illustrates the issue so we can reproduce what you're seeing.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017

Marcus,
    I love the work the Quicken team is doing to make Quicken for Mac better with each release.  Thank you so much.  Happy to see Loan Amortization added.  There is an issue that I believe needs to be addressed.  I pay my bills through a Brokerage Cash Management Account (CMA) through an investment company.  This account is a checking account within a brokerage account.  Many brokerage accounts have check writing features.  There are many of these types of accounts available.  In Quicken 2017 I am able to enter deposits and make payments from my CMA just fine.  When I bring up this account Quicken allows Payment/Deposits to be made including entering check #s.  Here is the problem.  When I set up my loan account and get to the screen to select from which account the loan should be paid my CMA is not in the list because it is a brokerage account!  You need to make ALL accounts available in the Pay From drop down list in the loan set up.  This loan payment is the only bill I cannot set up to be paid from my CMA.  So, I had to convert the loan back to a liability and now have to make manual entries for this loan payment in my CMA.  I can't use the Loan Amortization feature.  Bottom line is you need to let us set up our loans to be paid from any account.  Does anyone have a work around for this issue?

Yes, that makes sense.  We also have a bug that Quicken Bill Pay doesn't work with investment accounts either because of this bias.  This has already been fixed internally but we haven't released it yet.  I'm just piling on with regard to us being blind about investment accounts being used as checking accounts. Anyway, I'll definitely file this issue and we'll get it fixed soon.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    RickO said:

Just updated to 4.5.4. It went smoothly except that my investment balances where all out of whack.

On further investigation, I found that opening balance placeholder transactions had been entered in several of the accounts. In one case, there was a $300,000+ positive opening balance adjustment added for an account that has an approximate $4,000 balance.

After deleting these erroneous placeholders, all balances returned to normal. Note that this only affected the cash balances in the accounts, not the quantities of security holdings.

Oh my?  That's crazy.  I'm not even sure how that is possible but obviously you're seeing it.  I'll reach out to you directly.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    RickO said:

@Marcus.... A bug has been introduced in 4.5.4 that causes an investment quote update to be triggered when a Pay Now action on a Direct Connect Bill Pay checking account transaction has completed. This should not occur when the user has automatic quote download disabled in Preferences. 

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/qmac-2017-v4-5-4-bill-pay-manage-investments-bug...

You know I paid a bill last night using Pay Now but didn't notice the quote thing coming up (which I'm sure I hate as much as you guys).  I'll try again tonight and will report back.  We have already filed a bug.  
  • RickO
    edited May 2017
    RickO said:

Marcus, the FI is Citizens Bank - Mid Atlantic Consumer, checking account,  in case that makes a difference
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017

Any thoughts?

I tried that and it didn't change anything. Very odd. I'll send the info later.
This discussion has been closed.