Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5.4 Released

Options

Comments

• Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim said:

Thank you for the improvement on splits. I've gotten better at figuring out how to edit an existing split in order so that I don't have to re-enter the first split line item.

There is an unrelated split issue, but I have a workaround so it is not a huge deal. In the register view for an account (or multiple accounts, e.g., All Transactions) when I sort what I see by Category the Split items show up as if "Split" is the name of a category and I don't get the underlying line items sorted appropriately. I suppose it would be nice to have a checkbox to expand all splits to solve this. The workaround is that when I export the Register Transactions to CSV the individual line items show up on separate rows with the same date, check#, and payee [thank goodness!]. Thus I can sort the spreadsheet by Category the way I like. I haven't checked to see yet if anyone has pointed this out or made a suggestion to vote on.

So here is just one thing I wanted to do recently. I wanted to look at all transactions from an international trip we took, but see it organized by category. I use keywords in the memo field to distinguish trips, and filter for those keywords in the All Transaction register window. Then I click on the column title for Category to sort by that. But that turns out to be useless because all my split transactions are sorted as if they were a single transaction with a category named "split".

I am able to do what I need if I export the register to a CSV. The extracted data has one row for each transaction, including the individual line items of a split as if they are individual transactions. So I can sort on the category and that separates my different types of expenses as one would expect.

Actually, I cannot think of a use case where a user who sorts-by-category a list of transactions would not want the individual line items of split transactions to find their proper place among the non-split transactions, e.g. food expenses together, fuel expenses together, entertainment expenses together, etc.

Hope this helps explain it.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Good...what about the preferences issue also mentioned?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jsurpless said:

Curious if reports function yet with tags like Q2007 used to work with classes?

Categories on the left as rows and classes on the top as columns

@Quicken Marcus Thx. But please do not limit its use case...there are MANY MORE applications to this format. If you are not already, I highly recommend you take cues from at least QM2007 on how flexible it is to customize so you build it at least as good as that.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim said:

Thank you for the improvement on splits. I've gotten better at figuring out how to edit an existing split in order so that I don't have to re-enter the first split line item.

There is an unrelated split issue, but I have a workaround so it is not a huge deal. In the register view for an account (or multiple accounts, e.g., All Transactions) when I sort what I see by Category the Split items show up as if "Split" is the name of a category and I don't get the underlying line items sorted appropriately. I suppose it would be nice to have a checkbox to expand all splits to solve this. The workaround is that when I export the Register Transactions to CSV the individual line items show up on separate rows with the same date, check#, and payee [thank goodness!]. Thus I can sort the spreadsheet by Category the way I like. I haven't checked to see yet if anyone has pointed this out or made a suggestion to vote on.

So it sounds to me exactly like the use case for reports that should also generate the same info using the sorting and subtotal features that QM2007 reporting has. 

So this functionality needs to be built into at least one place, that is, reports. If it is also built into the register view, all the better, unless you want one UI place to handle each type of functionality. 

• Straz
    Straz Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Straz said:

You report having gotten a lot of complaints before about splits changing the first split line from others, but for me, the previous behavior of updating the first split line to keep the overall total unchanged was exactly what I wanted. Since the upgrade, my current cash entry, in which I start with $500 from my bank's ATM, and later document where it all went, is no longer automatically in the first line to keep the total unchanged. Instead, it adds a correcting entry to the bottom each time I add a detail line, forcing me to use a calculator to figure out the needed correction to apply manually to the first line of the split after my changes. If I understand correctly, this won't happen the next time I create such an entry, so long as I never manually edit that first line's amount. We'll see. Meanwhile, I wish there were an option to turn off the new behavior for those of us that liked it the old way.

Sounds like you understand the problem of what used to work, and what I'm trying to still do. Ideal solution would be to make the new behavior switchable in preferences, so I can still use that feature as I have for close to 20 years now.
  • Steve122@
    Steve122@ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    JSH56 said:

Great update. Like the new loan capability. 

HOWEVER, I am now getting Loan Sync Errors on Principal and Interest. I think it is due to the fact that the loan payment calculated by Quicken is different than my actual loan payments. How can this be remedied? (I tried to add principal, but in one case, the calculated loan payment is too high)

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the comments. My calculations come from the exact payment formula, not a web calculator.

The exact monthly payment formula is P = L[c(1+c)^n]/[(1+c)^n - 1], where L=loan amount, c = monthly interest rate, and n=number of payments.  In this formula, (1+c)^n is (1+c) raised to the power of n. In my case, L=382500, c=0.02875/12, n=180.  Put in the numbers (which I did on my calculator) and you get P = $2618.540668.  But Quicken says $2618.55 instead of $2618.54.

I would guess that the most standard way of rounding is to round anything less than half a cent down, and round anything greater than or equal to half a cent up.

But, if you think that some lenders might not round this way, then you should leave it as a user option to choose the payment for the loan so we can match the payments we are currently making with our lender.

Steve
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Straz said:

You report having gotten a lot of complaints before about splits changing the first split line from others, but for me, the previous behavior of updating the first split line to keep the overall total unchanged was exactly what I wanted. Since the upgrade, my current cash entry, in which I start with $500 from my bank's ATM, and later document where it all went, is no longer automatically in the first line to keep the total unchanged. Instead, it adds a correcting entry to the bottom each time I add a detail line, forcing me to use a calculator to figure out the needed correction to apply manually to the first line of the split after my changes. If I understand correctly, this won't happen the next time I create such an entry, so long as I never manually edit that first line's amount. We'll see. Meanwhile, I wish there were an option to turn off the new behavior for those of us that liked it the old way.

A preference option would be a good choice....

BTW, that feature to automatically update the 1st line has NOT been around for 20 years. I believe it was introduced in QM2015 only a couple of years ago. I use QM2007 and it does not exist there. It always adds an extra line for 1st time entry and follow-up edits.

• Straz
    Straz Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Straz said:

You may be right. I'm new to Quicken for Mac in the past year. Prior to that, I used Quicken on Windows PCs (can't recall whether there was a DOS version that I used before Windows 3.1)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    This build has messed up entering transfers. In the previous one (the one that was out for months before the 4.5 cycle) in the account field I could enter, for example:
    [s

It would then show me all accounts to transfer to that started with an "S" and I could move down the list with the cursor and select the one I wanted, or I could type additional letters to narrow the list further.

Now when I type [s, it automatically fills in Transfer:[ but sticks my cursor in the middle of the word Transfer and further tying must makes a mess of it. So essentially all typing [ does now is give me a list of all of my accounts which is useless.

Bring back the old behavior please.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Straz said:

@straz: instead of entering a $500 cash withdrawal and constantly modifying it as you spend the money, here's a better alternative that works well for me. Create a new Account in Quicken called Cash. (I actually have one for me and one for my wife.) When I withdraw money from the bank, I enter the withdrawal in my checking account as a Transfer to the cash account. Then, when you spend cash, you simply record your spending as new transactions in your cash account. You get more detail -- payee and date, as well as category -- for each expenditure, and a running balance of your remaining cash. Every now and then, I reconcile my Quicken cash account with what's in my wallet and make and adjustment to actual.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • qmac_scott
    qmac_scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

I installed the latest update, and was horrified to see that the program rewrote some reconciled transactions as different amounts! Specifically, recurring transactions that had changed their amounts in 2017 were recorded as the 2016 amounts, even for bank transactions that had cleared correctly. There did not seem to be any way to fix these numbers, so I had to back out and restore my previous Quicken version and data file. 

Ok thank you. I appreciate you keeping us updated!
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    edhans said:

This build has messed up entering transfers. In the previous one (the one that was out for months before the 4.5 cycle) in the account field I could enter, for example:
    [s

It would then show me all accounts to transfer to that started with an "S" and I could move down the list with the cursor and select the one I wanted, or I could type additional letters to narrow the list further.

Now when I type [s, it automatically fills in Transfer:[ but sticks my cursor in the middle of the word Transfer and further tying must makes a mess of it. So essentially all typing [ does now is give me a list of all of my accounts which is useless.

I noticed the same problem. Appears to be something that arose with 4.5.x.
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Straz said:

Yes I do likewise...much better.

• Straz
    Straz Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Straz said:

Thanks! I just set up a cash account, and it looks like that will work well, and have the additional advantages you mentioned. Guess I won't care about the changed behavior I reported any longer.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

Just updated to 4.5.4. It went smoothly except that my investment balances where all out of whack.

On further investigation, I found that opening balance placeholder transactions had been entered in several of the accounts. In one case, there was a $300,000+ positive opening balance adjustment added for an account that has an approximate $4,000 balance.

After deleting these erroneous placeholders, all balances returned to normal. Note that this only affected the cash balances in the accounts, not the quantities of security holdings.

I had some odd adjustments added to my home loan after conversion as well. Weird.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    edhans said:

[s

Check the Preferences. Make sure this is checked...

I don't know if this might be the issue, but there are reports of other prefs getting changed during the upgrade to 4.5.x
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • David Argust
    David Argust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Marcus,

I had posted this in the prior thread, but did not get any response.  Is this something unique to me?

==============================================

I was just notified to download the latest release of Quicken for Mac.  I performed the download and am now on release 4.5.4

In my previous use I go to the All Transactions view with the filter set to "Not Reviewed" to see my not reviewed transactions.   In this new release this filter does not seem to work as I now continue to see all transactions both reviewed and not reviewed.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thanks for the update Marcus.
  • Michael Erb
    Michael Erb Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm just not getting the mortgage capability.

I had my Mortgage and HELOC set up already prior to v4.5.4 being released. Now that I have upgraded to 4.5.4, I'm not seeing anything different in my Mortgage or HELOC. I don't see the graphs that are in the HELP file. I don't see amortization tables. Do I have to do something to get there?

My Morgage and HELOC are through American Airlines Federal Credit Union. Both are currently showing up unde r  the Credit Card heading as Line of Credit and the drop down for account type does not have Mortgage or Home Equity as choices.

Confused.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Jim Jones said:

A significant bug has still not been fixed that has been reported long ago. When "Show Memo/Notes" is set in a Category Summary report that memo/notes column does not get included in the exported data with the Export CSV button.

Also disappointed that users still cannot choose to show other columns in a Category Summary report (like Check#), change column order and widths, and export to CSV all that is shown. But I'd be happy if the exported CSV included ALL unseen columns since we can use a spreadsheet app to delete what is unnecessary and reorder/resize columns to create a desired report.

@Quicken Marcus did you notice my posts above, especially the ones regarding the categorized lists of Ideas and about lost votes? Just want to know if you are aware of them and how much benefit they might be to you?

• kingfisher500
    kingfisher500 Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

@Marcus.... A bug has been introduced in 4.5.4 that causes an investment quote update to be triggered when a Pay Now action on a Direct Connect Bill Pay checking account transaction has completed. This should not occur when the user has automatic quote download disabled in Preferences. 

For more detail, see here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/qmac-2017-v4-5-4-bill-pay-manage-investments-bug...

I don't think the FI matters. Mine is BB&T. Note that this happens with Direct Connect and Pay Now. It does not happen if the transaction is Saved and then sent by updating the FI Account.
  • Steve122@
    Steve122@ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    JSH56 said:

Great update. Like the new loan capability. 

HOWEVER, I am now getting Loan Sync Errors on Principal and Interest. I think it is due to the fact that the loan payment calculated by Quicken is different than my actual loan payments. How can this be remedied? (I tried to add principal, but in one case, the calculated loan payment is too high)

One other thing. I entered my loan by converting a liability account to a mortgage account. So the first payment date was in 2013.

The payment schedule created by Quicken all looks okay EXCEPT Total Interest. It seems that this should be given by

Total Interest = (monthly payment) * (number of payments) - (Total Principal)

With my numbers this gives

Total interest = ($2,618.54 * 53) - $96,068.45 = $42,714.17

But the payment schedule says Total Interest = $48,343.98

Any ideas why there is a discrepancy?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

Just updated to 4.5.4. It went smoothly except that my investment balances where all out of whack.

On further investigation, I found that opening balance placeholder transactions had been entered in several of the accounts. In one case, there was a $300,000+ positive opening balance adjustment added for an account that has an approximate $4,000 balance.

After deleting these erroneous placeholders, all balances returned to normal. Note that this only affected the cash balances in the accounts, not the quantities of security holdings.

I had an issue as well where several "placeholders" were put into my investment accounts that weren't there before. It was easy to remove them and restore the balances, BUT, now I have two securities that were sold yeras ago showing up in the portfolio with zero balances.

Another issue is everytime I start the program, I am greeted with the "Let's Get Started" screen.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    How do I get this update?  When I click on Quicken-->Check for Updates, I get a pop-up saying that I am up to date with version 4.4.3.  But that's clearly incorrect.
  • RickO
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Marty said:

How do I get this update?  When I click on Quicken-->Check for Updates, I get a pop-up saying that I am up to date with version 4.4.3.  But that's clearly incorrect.

Did you purchase Quicken through the Mac App Store? The release of new versions in the Mac App Store is delayed by Apple's approval process. You should be seeing the update available in a week or two after its release elsewhere.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Marty said:

No, I purchased it from Amazon, and installed it from a disc (not a download).
  • RickO
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Marty said:

Okay then. That's strange. You should contact Quicken Support. Hopefully they can provide you with a download link.

Quicken Support Contact

Edit: It looks like they may have pulled the update again. I have updated to 4.5.4 on one machine and have been getting nagged about updating for many days now on the 2nd machine. Just checked, and the nag is gone on the 2nd machine and it tells me that 4.4.3 is current.

I'll try to find out what's going on.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Marty said:

Thanks.  I'm not in any great hurry anyway, given that there seem to have been some issues in 4.5.4.  It's hard to know just when to apply the updates; I appreciate fixes and features, but not at the expense of breaking something.
  • RickO
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Marty said:

Just heard back. 4.5.4. has in fact been stopped. An official update will be posted shortly.
  • Quicken Kathryn
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi All,
    The 4.5.4 release has been temporarily removed while the team investigates an issue with register balance irregularity; it appears that not all users experience this issue, but the team wants to ensure that no calculation errors occur with the product.

In the interim, if you try to update your Mac product, you'll see version 4.4.3.

Thanks for your patience!
    Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RickO said:

@Marcus.... A bug has been introduced in 4.5.4 that causes an investment quote update to be triggered when a Pay Now action on a Direct Connect Bill Pay checking account transaction has completed. This should not occur when the user has automatic quote download disabled in Preferences. 

For more detail, see here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/qmac-2017-v4-5-4-bill-pay-manage-investments-bug...

Yup. We've confirmed that the quotes appear.  Thanks for reporting this issue.
This discussion has been closed.