Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5.4 Released

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    edhans said:

Will you give us more control of our backups please?

1. I would like to put them in my \Quicken\Backup folder in OneDrive, not Quicken\Backup\Automatic backups, and not \Quicken\Automatic backups. I want ALL of my backups in one folder.
    2. I would prefer the word "automatic" be removed from the file name. I don't care who made the backup. I just want it to be the filename and date.
    3. I don't want QUicken deleting my automatic backups. This is a show stopper for me. I have reverted to manual backups once I realized Quicken was keeping only 5 and deleting all others.
    It is a real simple config.
    • Path where it goes. Don't add anything to it. Put it exactly where I say per the path.
    • Don't add anything to the name.
    • Give me the option to limit the quantity. I know some will want to. I don't. I manually review my backup folder every few months and clean out what I want.

By the way, this is pretty much how QUicken for Windows worked - at least through 2015, the last version I used before switching to a Mac.
    Marcus, it doesn't do that. If I tell it to put them in \OneDrive\Quicken\Backups, it puts them in \OneDrive\Quicken\Backups\Automatic Backups. And then it adds "Automatic backup" to every file name. 

Looking forward to some sort of change. The way it worked in Quicken 2015 for Windows was perfect. I am doing then 100% manual right now.
  • Chris Bailey
    Chris Bailey Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi All,
    The 4.5.4 release has been temporarily removed while the team investigates an issue with register balance irregularity; it appears that not all users experience this issue, but the team wants to ensure that no calculation errors occur with the product.

In the interim, if you try to update your Mac product, you'll see version 4.4.3.

Thanks for your patience!
    Quicken Kathryn

While I appreciate the need to pull the update due to the bug, that really warrants posting a new thread at the top of the forum to let people know about this. I backed up my system last weekend and reinstalled the OS and all apps from scratch. Downloaded a fresh copy of Quicken 2017 from my Intuit account (version 4.3.1). This auto-updated to 4.4.3, which now will not patch to 4.5.4. Because my Quicken data file was opened in version 4.5.4, it will not open in 4.4.3 -- I get some weird error about how the file was last opened by Quicken 2015 two years ago. (I did confirm that this is the actual file I used last week, so it's a bogus error message.) What's worse is you didn't inform your online chat support about this issue, so they ran me through some pointless rigmarole about reinstalling the app and running in safe mode and other time-wasting activities that had no potential of solving the problem. I had to read all the way down the thread to find out there's absolutely no way I can open my Quicken file now until version 4.5.6 is released. Outstanding.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi All,
    The 4.5.4 release has been temporarily removed while the team investigates an issue with register balance irregularity; it appears that not all users experience this issue, but the team wants to ensure that no calculation errors occur with the product.

In the interim, if you try to update your Mac product, you'll see version 4.4.3.

Quicken Kathryn

Yup...bad process and poor communication internally and externally.

Meanwhile, you should be able to get a copy of 4.5.x via support. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Chris Bailey
    Chris Bailey Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

Hi All,

Quicken Kathryn

Decided to wait it out -- version 4.5.6 is out now. My Quicken app updated and I'm able to access my data again. Glad I'm back in business!
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Jim Jones said:

A significant bug has still not been fixed that has been reported long ago. When "Show Memo/Notes" is set in a Category Summary report that memo/notes column does not get included in the exported data with the Export CSV button.

Also disappointed that users still cannot choose to show other columns in a Category Summary report (like Check#), change column order and widths, and export to CSV all that is shown. But I'd be happy if the exported CSV included ALL unseen columns since we can use a spreadsheet app to delete what is unnecessary and reorder/resize columns to create a desired report.

I'm well aware of them. 
  • John Pane
    John Pane Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Hi Marcus, I was wondering if I should expect any response to my detailed post in the prior thread regarding new difficulties accessing Quicken data off an AFP server?

Marcus, I installed 4.5.6 today and the serious issues have been fixed. The only remaining anomaly is that when opening Quicken remotely the app does not automatically reopen the last used file. Instead, it presents the "Let's get started" dialog. As you pointed out, this can be dismissed and the file can be opened from the Open Recent... menu. After this, all is fine. Thank you.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Hi Marcus, I was wondering if I should expect any response to my detailed post in the prior thread regarding new difficulties accessing Quicken data off an AFP server?

Just saw the update for 4.5.6.. However before updating I did what RickO counseled; compressed 4.5.4 in the applications folder..Just in case 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

@Concordman (and RickO): it really isn't necessary to create a compressed copy of the application before updating, because the Quicken updater moves the old application to your Trash -- so as long as you don't empty your Trash, you have a backup copy available already.

That said, I do like making a backup copy of my *data* file before version updates; in case the new version updates the database, this gives me a way to roll back should I need to.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

That is exactly what I wound doing, removed 4.5.4 out of the trash can, compressed it & placed it in the applications folder.
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

Marcus,

I had posted this in the prior thread, but did not get any response.  Is this something unique to me?

==============================================

I was just notified to download the latest release of Quicken for Mac.  I performed the download and am now on release 4.5.4

In my previous use I go to the All Transactions view with the filter set to "Not Reviewed" to see my not reviewed transactions.   In this new release this filter does not seem to work as I now continue to see all transactions both reviewed and not reviewed.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I find that it does not work as it used to.  Being that the Blue dots don't remain when you change accounts even though you didn't review them, I clicked "All Transactions-Not Reviewed"--It would only show transaction that have blue indicators.  Now it shows all transactions not reviewed.  I would like to only see stuff with blue indicators
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Yup. I like to compress it and stick in the Applications folder so it's "safe" in case I empty the trash. Only takes about 35MB, so not a big deal.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited June 2017
    Options

Marcus,

I had posted this in the prior thread, but did not get any response.  Is this something unique to me?

==============================================

I was just notified to download the latest release of Quicken for Mac.  I performed the download and am now on release 4.5.4

In my previous use I go to the All Transactions view with the filter set to "Not Reviewed" to see my not reviewed transactions.   In this new release this filter does not seem to work as I now continue to see all transactions both reviewed and not reviewed.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

pauldv172.... So are you saying that you want the orange pencil transactions excluded from the "Not Reviewed" filter? As mentioned above, there used to be a bug that did cause the manual transactions (orange pencil) to be excluded from the Not Reviewed filter, even though these transactions' status was, yes, "not reviewed". Excluding the orange pencil icons from the filter would make the filter wrong and that's why the bug was fixed.

Workaround: mark your orange pencil icons as reviewed. (However, I'm not sure if they would then get a blue icon when downloaded and matched.)

Sounds like you're asking for a new filter "Matched or Downloaded and Not Reviewed". If that's what you're after, then perhaps start a new IDEA conversation here in the community to let people vote for it.

You also probably will want to go to the IDEA post below and VOTE for it (upper right corner):

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/download-flags
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have changed all of my liabilities to loans (i.e. Auto/Mortgage).  The one thing I see missing, and is throwing off the calculations is the Loan Start Date.  Yes, we have the First Payment Date, but with many loans, the first payment is not on the standard schedule.  For example, on all of my loans, there was approximately a month and a half between receipt of the loan and the first payment.  This caused 1.5 months interest to be applied to the first payment rather than 1 month.  That extra half month worth of interest is incorporated into the loan amount.  Because this interest isn't accounted for, Quicken calculated loan payments are off and aren't really useful.

Please bring back the "Opening Date" that was used in other versions.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5.6 release changes preferences and fails to download tra....

@Quicken Marcus:  This is bloody irritating!

You release a new version of QM2017 that changes ones Preference settings without asking permission.  I do not want "Allow creation of linked transfers using the category field" set in General Preferences.  There's a transfer field that is far more suitable for that purpose.

I do not want "Use posted date for matched transactions (instead of the date  you enter manually)." set in Connected Services.  If I want to see the posted date for a manually entered transaction, I can always display the Posted column.

The most egregious problem is the failure to download all transactions for Quicken Connect accounts.  To download all of the transactions that occurred today, I had to use the "Accounts > New > Checking" technique to re-establish the links to the Quicken Connect accounts at my credit union.

Do you suspect that I might be slightly irritated with QM2017 4.5.6?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Problems with quicken2017 mac update..

Problems with quicken 2017 mac update. I installed as requested, but it was corrupted and corrupted my data file. I was able to restore from backup. Please be careful
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5.6 release changes preferences and fails to download tra....

@Quicken Marcus:  This is bloody irritating!

You release a new version of QM2017 that changes ones Preference settings without asking permission.  I do not want "Allow creation of linked transfers using the category field" set in General Preferences.  There's a transfer field that is far more suitable for that purpose.

I do not want "Use posted date for matched transactions (instead of the date  you enter manually)." set in Connected Services.  If I want to see the posted date for a manually entered transaction, I can always display the Posted column.

The most egregious problem is the failure to download all transactions for Quicken Connect accounts.  To download all of the transactions that occurred today, I had to use the "Accounts > New > Checking" technique to re-establish the links to the Quicken Connect accounts at my credit union.

Do you suspect that I might be slightly irritated with QM2017 4.5.6?

MC I sense your frustration, appears you were one of the lucky guys in that is all 4.5.6 changed on your behalf. While I did not observe these preference changes on my end I did suffer thru my budget disappearing in its entirety during 4.5.4 update..
  • krm11
    krm11 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Michael said:

I have changed all of my liabilities to loans (i.e. Auto/Mortgage).  The one thing I see missing, and is throwing off the calculations is the Loan Start Date.  Yes, we have the First Payment Date, but with many loans, the first payment is not on the standard schedule.  For example, on all of my loans, there was approximately a month and a half between receipt of the loan and the first payment.  This caused 1.5 months interest to be applied to the first payment rather than 1 month.  That extra half month worth of interest is incorporated into the loan amount.  Because this interest isn't accounted for, Quicken calculated loan payments are off and aren't really useful.

Please bring back the "Opening Date" that was used in other versions.

I agree with this.  I kept trying to make that "extra 1.5 months" at the beginning of the loan work, and it just wouldn't.  Being able to enter the Opening/Starting date of the load could alleviate that, I would think.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I like the new loan features, but with 4.5.4 (Build 45.17432.100), it seems I can no longer Reconcile my loan accounts.  Is this expected?

I just updated to 4.5.6 and Quicken for mac 2017 won't load, under force quit it says not responding. Im still using El Capitan.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Is there a way to update manually? The App store doesn't have updates since 4.4.3. 

I'm having an issue in which my bank's transactions are downloaded, but the "online" balance is lower than what's on the register's balance. My bank's online page shows the correct balance too. Having the wrong "online" balance messes up the balances in the mobile app too. It used to work great. I have run the troubleshooter and have unlinked and linked the online account settings a few times to no avail
  • RickO
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ECGAK said:

Is there a way to update manually? The App store doesn't have updates since 4.4.3. 

I'm having an issue in which my bank's transactions are downloaded, but the "online" balance is lower than what's on the register's balance. My bank's online page shows the correct balance too. Having the wrong "online" balance messes up the balances in the mobile app too. It used to work great. I have run the troubleshooter and have unlinked and linked the online account settings a few times to no avail

There is always a delay before new versions are released in the Apple App Store due to Apple's approval process. It could be a couple weeks. My only suggestion is when you buy your next version of Quicken, don't buy it from the App Store.

I doubt that this version upgrade is going to solve your balance issue though. You should probably start  a new conversation here to get help with this issue, or contact  Quicken Support.
  • jacobs
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ECGAK said:

Actually, @RickO, that's the way it used to be, but Apple has made changes to speed the app approval process. They mentioned at their developers conference today that the average approval time is now just one day. And checking on an independent website that tracks app approval times, it does indeed show Mac and iOS approval times averaging just a day.  The fact that Quicken is still on version 4.4.3 in the App Store could indicate that the company didn't submit version 4.5.x for Apple approval because they were repeatedly starting and stopping their direct interim releases from 4.5.0 through 4.5.6. There have been a few reports of problems posted even since 4.5.6 has been widely available, so it's possible -- just speculation here -- they're investigating those issues and considering an additional release before they submit a versions to the App Store.

That said, I do agree with the other two statements: (1) for Quicken, the next time* don't buy on the App Store -- for the aforementioned reasons with delayed updates, as well as the fact that you can typically buy it for 35%-45% off the App Store "list price" if you buy from Amazon, and (2) the update probably won't affect the balance issue @ECGAK is experiencing.

(*Note: the comment about where to buy Quicken "the next time" may be moot if Quicken moves ahead with their subscription pricing model for the next major release; we'll have to wait and see about that.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ECGAK said:

Thank you for the info!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ECGAK said:

BTW, if you want to read up about the impact of the new subscription model released for the Canadian version of Quicken, and that is being considered for ALL versions of Quicken, a summary of all the issues discussed has been captured here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-inc-should-reverse-its-decision-to-chang...

Another issue added to this list includes: being forced to upgrade your OS or hardware. See more details here: 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-inc-should-reverse-its-decision-to-chang...

If you have a concern about this, you can add your VOTE at top of the page of the link provided. Your VOTE matters!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    In QM2017 4.5.6, why doesn't the loan feature recognize the effect of entered transactions?  Notice in the screenshot below that the June payment has already been applied, but the payment breakdown above shows a breakdown for a June payment (doesn't match what I entered).  At this point, it should showing July 1 instead of June 1.  

So the current balance (post June payment) is reflected in the loan details shot shown below, and the next loan payment is shown for July.  The principal calculation also appears to be off. Something appears to be amiss. 

Now, I don't have a scheduled transaction set up with this because as I've noted previously that function can't be used with budgets due to the fact that transfers can't be budgeted yet.  Either we need to be able to budget transfers or be able to pick the category for the principal in order to track that in the budget.  

This appears to be a bug in the program.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    What happened to the ability to view past loan payments in my Loan / Payments register.  Once they are reconciled, they go out of view.  No option to change the register view.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

This bug seems to persist, so I'm posting it here to make sure it's captured:

When my bank changes the name of my account (e.g., "Gold Card" to "Platinum Card"), the "Account Status" window reports an error (324, DEAD account) and transactions no longer download for these accounts. Resetting the connected services (Preferences->Advanced) doesn't fix it, nor does changing the connection type or deactivating and re-activating downloads (account settings). The only workarounds I've seen are to:

a) manually change the account names back to their original names on the bank website (not possible for some banks), or
    b) export all data to a QXF file and then create a new file and import this file and reconnect all the accounts. (This works, except exporting to QXF doesn't maintain memos/notes or attachments.)

Can a future release *please* work in a means to reset the connection to a bank without having to re-create the file from scratch or losing memos/attachments? Pretty please?

Since I updated Quicken for Mac 2017 with the Version 4.5.6 (6/2017) update, it hangs and will not open my files.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling my download, but the version I download is from my purchase last year, and says it won't open my file because it isn't updated to the proper version.  If I do the update, (Check For Updates), I'm back to the file not opening and the program not responding at all.  So it's a vicious circle.  I have the latest update to Mac Sierra installed, and didn't have any problems until I updated to Version 4.5.6 (6/2017).  Please help.
  • jacobs
    edited June 2017
    Options

This bug seems to persist, so I'm posting it here to make sure it's captured:

When my bank changes the name of my account (e.g., "Gold Card" to "Platinum Card"), the "Account Status" window reports an error (324, DEAD account) and transactions no longer download for these accounts. Resetting the connected services (Preferences->Advanced) doesn't fix it, nor does changing the connection type or deactivating and re-activating downloads (account settings). The only workarounds I've seen are to:

a) manually change the account names back to their original names on the bank website (not possible for some banks), or
    b) export all data to a QXF file and then create a new file and import this file and reconnect all the accounts. (This works, except exporting to QXF doesn't maintain memos/notes or attachments.)

Can a future release *please* work in a means to reset the connection to a bank without having to re-create the file from scratch or losing memos/attachments? Pretty please?

@Phil: I suggest you contact Quicken Support for a problem like this; there is phone support and chat support available. It sounds like your file might be corrupted, but rather than me guessing, you're better off talking to Support.

A few quick questions while you wait...

Try moving your data file to a different folder (so it's not where Quicken thinks it should be), and then launch Quicken. Does it bring you to a getting started screen? Can you create a new file? (Use a dummy email address and don't connect any of your financial accounts -- just see if it allows you to create a new file.)

Do you have backups? Ones created automatically by Quicken, and/or from Time Machine or other backups of your computer? If so, first, make a COPY of any backup file before you try to use it, so you don't inadvertently corrupt more files. Try opening a backup from before you installed this update last week to see if it updates and opens okay.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Russ Wood said:

What happened to the ability to view past loan payments in my Loan / Payments register.  Once they are reconciled, they go out of view.  No option to change the register view.

Not sure I have enough information to answer.  Are you in a liability account or a loan account? We don't let you reconcile in the loan accounts.  We didn't change anything in the liability account so it should work exactly as it used to.  We don't show download payments to the loan accounts because most of the time the banks send us the full payment and not just the principal which would throw off your loan balance.  Only the principal should appear in the Loan register.  If you want to see downloaded payments, go to the payments tan and click on View Bank Transactions.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

In QM2017 4.5.6, why doesn't the loan feature recognize the effect of entered transactions?  Notice in the screenshot below that the June payment has already been applied, but the payment breakdown above shows a breakdown for a June payment (doesn't match what I entered).  At this point, it should showing July 1 instead of June 1.  

So the current balance (post June payment) is reflected in the loan details shot shown below, and the next loan payment is shown for July.  The principal calculation also appears to be off. Something appears to be amiss. 

Now, I don't have a scheduled transaction set up with this because as I've noted previously that function can't be used with budgets due to the fact that transfers can't be budgeted yet.  Either we need to be able to budget transfers or be able to pick the category for the principal in order to track that in the budget.  

This appears to be a bug in the program.  

I think I understand why you'd want to see the future payment breakdown in the payment screen but it would be great to hear from your on why that would be important to you.  What do other people think?  Would it be better to show the upcoming payment instead of the previous payment?  That's not how it was designed but may make more sense.  In terms of principal calculation being off, what were you expecting it to be? It looks like a reasonable number to me but I haven't done the math.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ECGAK said:

We just released the app store version. Apple is very quick these days with reviewing apps.  The delay was because we have to do extra work to get the app store version ready.  For example, the Quicken Windows converter needs to be download for the app store because of something called sandboxing so there was stuff we had to do to make that work.  Sorry for the delay.
This discussion has been closed.