Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5.4 Released

Options

Comments

• David Argust
    David Argust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    When you say the blue dot remains after you go to another account, is this after you have marked as "reviewed" the blue dot transactions in that account? I have found that the blue dot on my accounts has disappeared when I switch to another account even if I have not reviewed the tranactions. I always thought this was a weird behavior as my preference would be for the blue dot to remain if the account had any unreviewed transactions. I would like it to be as easy as possible to find downloaded transactions that I have not reviewed. Essentially similar to unacceptabled transactions in Quicken for Windows.
  • David Argust
    David Argust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

Just a nit with 4.5.4, not even enough to call a bug.

The blue dot indicating an updated account will remain in the Account List if you leave the account display and go to a report and then go to a different account.

When you say the blue dot remains after you go to another account, is this after you have marked as "reviewed" the blue dot transactions in that account? I have found that the blue dot on my accounts has disappeared when I switch to another account even if I have not reviewed the tranactions. I always thought this was a weird behavior as my preference would be for the blue dot to remain if the account had any unreviewed transactions. I would like it to be as easy as possible to find downloaded transactions that I have not reviewed. Essentially similar to unacceptabled transactions in Quicken for Windows.
  • cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

The blue dot indicating an updated account will remain in the Account List if you leave the account display and go to a report and then go to a different account.

No, I never clear the indicator for how the transaction got into the register. I use the Clr column to manually reconcile. The blue dot or brown or blue pencil stays and is never removed.

It worked like this....

1. Direct connect download from AmEx.
    2. Check the account register to make sure the additions are valid.
    3. Go to Reports to check something else.
    4. Go to another account.
    5. The blue dot in the Accounts list is still there.

It could be called a cosmetic problem. 
  • Moe
    Moe Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi All,
    The 4.5.4 release has been temporarily removed while the team investigates an issue with register balance irregularity; it appears that not all users experience this issue, but the team wants to ensure that no calculation errors occur with the product.

In the interim, if you try to update your Mac product, you'll see version 4.4.3.

Thanks for your patience!
    Quicken Kathryn

Did not find one, I did manually fix some unmatched transfer and found duplicates, so down to 31,569, but this discrepancy makes no sense.  My online balance for a credit card would never be a positive number.image
  • Moe
    Moe Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi All,
    The 4.5.4 release has been temporarily removed while the team investigates an issue with register balance irregularity; it appears that not all users experience this issue, but the team wants to ensure that no calculation errors occur with the product.

In the interim, if you try to update your Mac product, you'll see version 4.4.3.

Quicken Kathryn

when I try to update online balance, Quicken locked up and I had to force quit.
  • Moe
    Moe Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi All,

Quicken Kathryn

ok that was the secret. I went back in my register to the time when I started showing a POSITIVE credit card balance. It was near the beginning of the account (2014).  Quicken 2017 duplicated most, but not all, of my transfers to that account so I had 40,000 in duplicate payments. I went through and removed all the orphaned transfers and now I am balanced! I wish I had the last 2 hours of my life back!
  • ozarkcanoer
    ozarkcanoer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Straz said:

You report having gotten a lot of complaints before about splits changing the first split line from others, but for me, the previous behavior of updating the first split line to keep the overall total unchanged was exactly what I wanted. Since the upgrade, my current cash entry, in which I start with $500 from my bank's ATM, and later document where it all went, is no longer automatically in the first line to keep the total unchanged. Instead, it adds a correcting entry to the bottom each time I add a detail line, forcing me to use a calculator to figure out the needed correction to apply manually to the first line of the split after my changes. If I understand correctly, this won't happen the next time I create such an entry, so long as I never manually edit that first line's amount. We'll see. Meanwhile, I wish there were an option to turn off the new behavior for those of us that liked it the old way.

I've adopted the use of Cash also. Happy that @jacobs shared his process.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    edhans said:

This build has messed up entering transfers. In the previous one (the one that was out for months before the 4.5 cycle) in the account field I could enter, for example:
    [s

It would then show me all accounts to transfer to that started with an "S" and I could move down the list with the cursor and select the one I wanted, or I could type additional letters to narrow the list further.

Now when I type [s, it automatically fills in Transfer:[ but sticks my cursor in the middle of the word Transfer and further tying must makes a mess of it. So essentially all typing [ does now is give me a list of all of my accounts which is useless.

Bring back the old behavior please.

RickO - I'll check this when I get home The problem though is it is allowing me to make links in the category field. When I type [ it brings up the list of accounts, so linking is working. But it then inserts the word "Transfer" so if I type "sch" to start Schwab, I get a mess similar to t[schransfer which is useless. 

I don't think it has anythng to do with the option, but again, I will double-check when I get home.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I like the new loan features, but with 4.5.4 (Build 45.17432.100), it seems I can no longer Reconcile my loan accounts.  Is this expected?

Another vote. I also reconcile my loan accounts. I reconcile ALL of my accounts.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I like the new loan features, but with 4.5.4 (Build 45.17432.100), it seems I can no longer Reconcile my loan accounts.  Is this expected?

Another vote. I also reconcile my loan accounts. I reconcile ALL of my accounts.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    edhans said:

This build has messed up entering transfers. In the previous one (the one that was out for months before the 4.5 cycle) in the account field I could enter, for example:
    [s

It would then show me all accounts to transfer to that started with an "S" and I could move down the list with the cursor and select the one I wanted, or I could type additional letters to narrow the list further.

Now when I type [s, it automatically fills in Transfer:[ but sticks my cursor in the middle of the word Transfer and further tying must makes a mess of it. So essentially all typing [ does now is give me a list of all of my accounts which is useless.

Yes, this was reported as a bug with the release of 4.5.x, in this thread segment here :
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2017-v4-5-4-5-1-4-5-2-released?t...
    It appears that the problem is that the cursor is simply placed in the wrong place so that continued data entry overwrites the Transfer text and messes things up. As a work-around, would it not work to simply reposition the cursor before further data entry?

Anyway, there has yet to be an acknowledgement by the Quicken team, so still needs addressing.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Will you give us more control of our backups please?
    1. I would like to put them in my \Quicken\Backup folder in OneDrive, not Quicken\Backup\Automatic backups, and not \Quicken\Automatic backups. I want ALL of my backups in one folder.
    2. I would prefer the word "automatic" be removed from the file name. I don't care who made the backup. I just want it to be the filename and date.
    3. I don't want QUicken deleting my automatic backups. This is a show stopper for me. I have reverted to manual backups once I realized Quicken was keeping only 5 and deleting all others.
    It is a real simple config.
    • Path where it goes. Don't add anything to it. Put it exactly where I say per the path.
    • Don't add anything to the name.
    • Give me the option to limit the quantity. I know some will want to. I don't. I manually review my backup folder every few months and clean out what I want.

By the way, this is pretty much how QUicken for Windows worked - at least through 2015, the last version I used before switching to a Mac.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    edhans said:

1. I would like to put them in my \Quicken\Backup folder in OneDrive, not Quicken\Backup\Automatic backups, and not \Quicken\Automatic backups. I want ALL of my backups in one folder.
    2. I would prefer the word "automatic" be removed from the file name. I don't care who made the backup. I just want it to be the filename and date.
    3. I don't want QUicken deleting my automatic backups. This is a show stopper for me. I have reverted to manual backups once I realized Quicken was keeping only 5 and deleting all others.
    • Path where it goes. Don't add anything to it. Put it exactly where I say per the path.
    • Give me the option to limit the quantity. I know some will want to. I don't. I manually review my backup folder every few months and clean out what I want.

By the way, this is pretty much how QUicken for Windows worked - at least through 2015, the last version I used before switching to a Mac.
    All good ideas. You may want to start a separate IDEA post for this so it can voted on.

Also, if you are interested, you could use macOS's Automator Folder Actions to copy each backup file when it's created to a location you specify, rename as desired, and keep an unlimited number of copies there.

Here's a basic tutorial:

http://www.applegazette.com/os-x/getting-started-automator-workflows-mac/
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    edhans said:

[s

Thanks for the link. I'll follow that thread. The workaround isn't helpful though. The bug isn't a showstopper, but it means you can no longer effectively use the keyboard to enter transfer information in the category field.

Well, never mind. Whatever you linked to is just a big list and I cannot figure out how to find the actual thread so I can follow it. This board is horrible. I am thankful Quicken is the only software I use that uses GetSatisfaction. 
  • Matthew Phelps
    Matthew Phelps Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    This bug seems to persist, so I'm posting it here to make sure it's captured:

When my bank changes the name of my account (e.g., "Gold Card" to "Platinum Card"), the "Account Status" window reports an error (324, DEAD account) and transactions no longer download for these accounts. Resetting the connected services (Preferences->Advanced) doesn't fix it, nor does changing the connection type or deactivating and re-activating downloads (account settings). The only workarounds I've seen are to:

a) manually change the account names back to their original names on the bank website (not possible for some banks), or
    b) export all data to a QXF file and then create a new file and import this file and reconnect all the accounts. (This works, except exporting to QXF doesn't maintain memos/notes or attachments.)

Can a future release *please* work in a means to reset the connection to a bank without having to re-create the file from scratch or losing memos/attachments? Pretty please?
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi All,

Quicken Kathryn

Moe, did this happen coming from an earlier release like 2007 or were you just upgrading from an older version of 2017 to 4.4.3?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi All,

Quicken Kathryn

Moe, did this happen coming from an earlier release like 2007 or were you just upgrading from an older version of 2017 to 4.4.3.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi All,

Quicken Kathryn

Michael Erb, we did detect an issue where account balances could change after upgrading to 4.5 which is why we pulled the release.  In 4.5 we added a fix to a previous issue where splits didn't add up to the transaction amount total.  This shouldn't even be possible but it could occur if you happen to drag your transactions around on a particular day and there's a transfer associated with that transaction.  In trying to clean up people's files we now do a data integrity check and make sure the math adds up correctly.  For the most part, this is working well but for some, they have a single split line that has a different amount than the transaction total.  Again, this shouldn't be possible and we're not even sure how people's files got into this state but we found this out from customers who reported a balance problem.  Our upcoming fix will take this into account and change the single split line to match the transaction value.  We'll also fix people's files that are already in this state.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi All,

Quicken Kathryn

Michael Erb, we did detect an issue where account balances could change after upgrading to 4.5 which is why we pulled the release.  In 4.5 we added a fix to a previous issue where splits didn't add up to the transaction amount total.  This shouldn't even be possible but it could occur if you happen to drag your transactions around on a particular day and there's a transfer associated with that transaction.  In trying to clean up people's files we now do a data integrity check and make sure the math adds up correctly.  For the most part, this is working well but for some, they have a single split line that has a different amount than the transaction total.  Again, this shouldn't be possible and we're not even sure how people's files got into this state but we found this out from customers who reported a balance problem.  Our upcoming fix will take this into account and change the single split line to match the transaction value.  We'll also fix people's files that are already in this state.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    CJ said:

I updated to 4.5.4, switched my loans over to the new system, and updated my accounts. Then, due to unrelated computer problems, I had to reload macOS from scratch. I've reinstalled Quicken, but for some reason it won't update past 4.4.3.

As a result, it refuses to open my data file, indicating that I need to update Quicken...except when I click Quicken > Check for Updates..., it states, "You're up-to-date! Quicken 2017 4.4.3 is currently the newest version available."

How can I update my new installation of Quicken 2017 to 4.5.4?

Also, we never delete your old version of the app but instead it's moved to the trash.  In addition, support has the ability to give you a link to get the latest version.  We hope to have 4.5.6 ready for release to a few thousand people on 5/31 and hopefully to everyone on 6/1.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    cneal said:

Thanks for reporting this.  The blue dot should disappear after you click on the account again and switch to another account.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    edhans said:

You can set the backup folder by clicking on the Backup Folder button in preferences.  Does this not work for you?  We don't currently have the ability to set the number of backups saved or to not delete them but I'm hoping to get a college intern to work on this soon.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options

When my bank changes the name of my account (e.g., "Gold Card" to "Platinum Card"), the "Account Status" window reports an error (324, DEAD account) and transactions no longer download for these accounts. Resetting the connected services (Preferences->Advanced) doesn't fix it, nor does changing the connection type or deactivating and re-activating downloads (account settings). The only workarounds I've seen are to:

a) manually change the account names back to their original names on the bank website (not possible for some banks), or
    b) export all data to a QXF file and then create a new file and import this file and reconnect all the accounts. (This works, except exporting to QXF doesn't maintain memos/notes or attachments.)

Can a future release *please* work in a means to reset the connection to a bank without having to re-create the file from scratch or losing memos/attachments? Pretty please?

We have this ability. Please work with our support team to take you through the process.  It's a little complicated.  

Unfortunately, this is not something we can fix in Quicken because the error is coming from our account aggregator Intuit.  The bottom line is that the bank is closing the old account and opening a new one even if it doesn't look like this on the bank's website.  This occurs when upgrading cards from Gold to Platinum or when there is fraud on the card and they issue you a new card so Intuit's systems are reflecting this fact.  I guess in theory you should be able to add this new card as a new account and this might make it cleaner but I'm not sure this works in all cases especially if the account number remains the same.  Anyway, work with our support team and they should be able to help you.  I should also mention that Quicken support is free.  There's a lot of fraudsters that appear if you do a google search that want to charge you money.   These are NOT Quicken support people.  Please go to the Quicken website to find the support phone number. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options

No preference changes going from 4.4.3 to 4.5.4

Thanks for reporting this.  We found a bug in categories where typing the ":" selects the first sub-category in the list which it shouldn't.  I'm wondering if the people reporting preference changes were running into this bug and assuming their preference was changed because it wasn't working right.  Anyway, I wouldn't expect preferences to change in 4.5.x. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options

I'm just not getting the mortgage capability.

I had my Mortgage and HELOC set up already prior to v4.5.4 being released. Now that I have upgraded to 4.5.4, I'm not seeing anything different in my Mortgage or HELOC. I don't see the graphs that are in the HELP file. I don't see amortization tables. Do I have to do something to get there?

My Morgage and HELOC are through American Airlines Federal Credit Union. Both are currently showing up unde r  the Credit Card heading as Line of Credit and the drop down for account type does not have Mortgage or Home Equity as choices.

Confused.

Where are you seeing this?  There's a difference between Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) which acts like a credit card and a Home Equity Loan which acts like a loan.  We continue to have Home Equity as a loan option if people want to set up their Home Equity Loan.
  • Matthew Phelps
    Matthew Phelps Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, it was Quicken support that walked me through "b)" in my original post. If you know of a better way to handle it that doesn't cause me to lose memos/attachments and can tell me how to express that to support when I try to fix it, I would be grateful.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Straz said:

You report having gotten a lot of complaints before about splits changing the first split line from others, but for me, the previous behavior of updating the first split line to keep the overall total unchanged was exactly what I wanted. Since the upgrade, my current cash entry, in which I start with $500 from my bank's ATM, and later document where it all went, is no longer automatically in the first line to keep the total unchanged. Instead, it adds a correcting entry to the bottom each time I add a detail line, forcing me to use a calculator to figure out the needed correction to apply manually to the first line of the split after my changes. If I understand correctly, this won't happen the next time I create such an entry, so long as I never manually edit that first line's amount. We'll see. Meanwhile, I wish there were an option to turn off the new behavior for those of us that liked it the old way.

jacobs, Awesome suggestion.  Thanks for mentioning this in the forum.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

I'm just not getting the mortgage capability.

I had my Mortgage and HELOC set up already prior to v4.5.4 being released. Now that I have upgraded to 4.5.4, I'm not seeing anything different in my Mortgage or HELOC. I don't see the graphs that are in the HELP file. I don't see amortization tables. Do I have to do something to get there?

My Morgage and HELOC are through American Airlines Federal Credit Union. Both are currently showing up unde r  the Credit Card heading as Line of Credit and the drop down for account type does not have Mortgage or Home Equity as choices.

Confused.

You may be right. I already switched back and I don't want to re-try it, but it may very well be that I saw Home Equity loan and in my mind thought HELOC. I DO know that setting up on-line access made it want to select Home Equity or something else other than Credit Card. Regardless, feel free to delete my comment above.

Thank you for doing such a good job representing Quicken here. I appreciate the work you do and I am serious when I say I REALLY like the improvements in the latest edition, even if it was pulled for bugs!
  • Moe
    Moe Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi All,

Quicken Kathryn

Marcus, I upgraded from 2016 to 2017. I have 4.4.3 I was perfectly balanced before the upgrade. I always save a copy before I upgrade so I can confirm that.  I thought of going back to 2016, but I also like the new features.  I can't seem to set up a loan with PNC or Wells Fargo Advisors and I am really looking forward to the new loan feature. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Marcus, last evening when I logged into q2017 mac, I was prompted to update to 4.5.6.  I did so, and now some of my bank accounts are not updating with the prior days transactions. I came to the community site and I don't see anything about the 'latest release'. Was there another update from after 4.5.4 that was pulled? I have since restored q17m back to 4.5.4.
    opt
This discussion has been closed.