Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5.4 Released

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Problems with quicken2017 mac update..

Problems with quicken 2017 mac update. I installed as requested, but it was corrupted and corrupted my data file. I was able to restore from backup. Please be careful

I'm having an error issue trying to update from ver. 4.4.3 (build 44.15091.100) to the new ver. 4.5.6.  I keep getting an error "An error occurred during persistent store migration".  I finally resorted to removing ver. 4.5.6 from my Mac and restoring back to ver. 4.4.3 (build 44.15091.100) and restoring from a backup file that had not been "modified" by the new version. Everything appears to be fine using the old ver. 4.4.3.  I am still running OS X Yosemite ver. 10.10.5 for reasons I won't go into here.  After spending several hours to get back where I could get some bills payed, I'm very reluctant to try the update again.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Problems with quicken2017 mac update..

Problems with quicken 2017 mac update. I installed as requested, but it was corrupted and corrupted my data file. I was able to restore from backup. Please be careful

See if this FAQ helps: How to try to resolve a "persistent store"-related error

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

In QM2017 4.5.6, why doesn't the loan feature recognize the effect of entered transactions?  Notice in the screenshot below that the June payment has already been applied, but the payment breakdown above shows a breakdown for a June payment (doesn't match what I entered).  At this point, it should showing July 1 instead of June 1.  

So the current balance (post June payment) is reflected in the loan details shot shown below, and the next loan payment is shown for July.  The principal calculation also appears to be off. Something appears to be amiss. 

Now, I don't have a scheduled transaction set up with this because as I've noted previously that function can't be used with budgets due to the fact that transfers can't be budgeted yet.  Either we need to be able to budget transfers or be able to pick the category for the principal in order to track that in the budget.  

This appears to be a bug in the program.  

The other issue with the loan feature not recognizing payments entered into the principal account register is that it is not updating the amortization schedule either.  The schedule still includes a June payment that has already been paid.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I like the new loan features, but with 4.5.4 (Build 45.17432.100), it seems I can no longer Reconcile my loan accounts.  Is this expected?

If this is true, why does the program offer me an options as to where to store the file?
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Hi Marcus, I was wondering if I should expect any response to my detailed post in the prior thread regarding new difficulties accessing Quicken data off an AFP server?

John Pane, we're starting to release 4.5.7 that fixes the issue with auto-opening files from a file share.  When you upgrade, let me know if it doesn't work for your situation.  It should but let me know.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Hi Marcus, I was wondering if I should expect any response to my detailed post in the prior thread regarding new difficulties accessing Quicken data off an AFP server?

Will this be available on the App Store? And will this fix my upgrade issue?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited June 2017
    Options

I installed the latest update, and was horrified to see that the program rewrote some reconciled transactions as different amounts! Specifically, recurring transactions that had changed their amounts in 2017 were recorded as the 2016 amounts, even for bank transactions that had cleared correctly. There did not seem to be any way to fix these numbers, so I had to back out and restore my previous Quicken version and data file. 

Just following up on this thread.  A big thanks to Pamela who helped us track down the issue.  In 4.5.x we do a pass to try to fix people's data where their splits don't add up to the total of the transaction.  This should never happen but we had a bug where it would happen if you rearranged the order of your transactions for a given day and you have splits with a transfer.  Most of the times we changed the transaction total to match the split total.  Unfortunately, in some cases, where there was a single split transfer transaction the transaction total was actually correct and the split needed to be changed.  This is why some of you saw balance changes.  We fixed this in 4.5.6. 
  • John Pane
    John Pane Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Thank you Marcus. I will let you know.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Questions:
    After I did the update I am not able to login to quicken account.    I get the Uh Oh something happened on our end error message.   Is there a way to login or is the system down currently?It is June 14  8:50 EST  Columbus Ohio. 

Thank youJeff
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Marcus, could you clarify exactly what locations for a data file are or are not supported? A number of us here passed along to many users the commonly-held understanding that running Quicken with the data file on a machine other than the user's local machine is a no-no. This used to be an issue with Essentials, and we keep repeating the admonitions -- but obviously much has changed with both Quicken and macOS over the years, so it would be helpful to hear directly from you what is or isn't a problem. You describe a fix in 4.5.7 that should help John Pane, who has his file on an Apple file server. Is it also okay okay for a user to open a data file from another Mac on a local network (e.g. installed on iMac in the study, but also accessed from MacBook Pro in the den)? How about users who put their files in iCloud or Dropbox? I'd just like to make sure that I and others here aren't passing wrong information along to other users. Thanks.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

@jacobs... I'm glad you asked that. Clarity would be really nice so we're giving consistent advise. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • John Pane
    John Pane Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Marcus, indeed the problem has been fixed in version 4.5.8, which was offered to me today. Thank you very much for your support!
  • John Pane
    John Pane Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

@jacobs, I will say that my wife and I use caution to ensure that both of us don't open Quicken at the same time. The biggest issue is the risk of corruption from simultaneous access. If Quicken doesn't officially support this, that is probably the reason.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

jacobs, great question and thanks for all you and many of the other forum users do to help the community.  Quicken should be able to open a file from a file share and that should work.  What we don't support is simultaneous access to the same file.  As John Pane alludes to, that could cause problems.  For people who want to share the same dataset (not a file but accounts and transactions, etc) they'll be able to do this across the cloud eventually.  It kind of works today but it's not really supported (or isn't tested that much) but the idea is that you and your spouse could have 2 Macs and if your spouse changes a transaction, you'll get the update too after cloud sync.  The primary case we do our testing around is Mac to mobile and back but not Mac to Mac.
  • jacobs
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Marcus, thanks for the reply. But we might be talking about two different things. You're talking about "cloud sync" and I'm not sure if you mean by that something akin to data moving between a local datafile and a cloud server like Quicken desktop and mobile work today?

What I was asking about -- that we have strongly steered people away from, based on old history -- is putting their data file on Dropbox or iCloud and accessing it from there. The reason, as I understand it from those who have been helping here longer than I have, is that there are -- or used to be -- issues with file permissions for the files within the data file package occasionally getting messed up and locking people out of their data when the data file package was stored on something like Dropbox. I'm guessing that was an OS issue more than a Quicken issue, and macOS has been updated many times since the early Essentials era, so what I was questioning is whether there is or is not a problem with people locating their Quicken data file on a cloud storage volume. This is a much bigger issue now that the macOS, since Sierra, by default moves Desktop and Documents folders -- frequent homes for users' Quicken data files -- to iCloud. In theory, it seems to me that if Apple is doing this by default, and Quicken is surely not the only thing in the Mac universe that stores apps or data in a package, then maybe it means whatever those old issues might have been are gone, and it's safe to do so. Have you tested Quicken with the data file stored on iCloud and/or Dropbox, and do you believe that is or is not kosher. Thanks!
  • RickO
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Yup, a local file share and storing the file in Dropbox or iCloud are two different things. Looking forward to Marcus' clarification on this.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Got it.  The honest answer is that I'm not sure.  For everyday use, Dropbox and other cloud sync services appear to work but all of the craziness with people not being able to open their file because of the 4.5.x upgrade was because some other application changed the file permissions on our file and therefore we couldn't migrate our database.  We assume it's something like Dropbox but quite honestly I don't know that for a fact.  When I did some quick testing I didn't see this occur but I didn't spend a lot of time on it.  I'll try to do some testing to let you know.  In any case, we have now worked around that particular issue but I know there have been reports of other file open issues that we may not have solutions for yet. It's probably prudent to avoid saving on cloud storage services until we have a definitive answer.
  • jacobs
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Marcus, thanks. As I mentioned, this advice to not store a file on Dropbox because of file permission corruption inside the data file package dates to the Essentials days. But with today's Quicken and today's macOS, it might just be 'urban legend' rather than actually 'not supported'. If you don't know, and this hasn't been tested, it might be good to add this to your testing protocol for the next major release, so this question (which comes up here a fair amount because lots of folks use Dropbox and many more now have their Documents folder stored in iCloud) can be definitively answered going forward.
  • RickO
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

I'll second that request. In the mean time, may change my advise from telling users that it's "unsupported" to saying that it's "untested".
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I like the new loan features, but with 4.5.4 (Build 45.17432.100), it seems I can no longer Reconcile my loan accounts.  Is this expected?

I deleted the app on my Mac to re-download, re-install, before I saw on Mac Store that this was a known problem. Now I simply need a new download, where can I get that done please???
  • RickO
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

If you purchased on the Mac Apple store, then re-download from the purchased tab in the Mac App Store.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I did. The Mac App Store charged me $44.99 again. Now going through the refund request fun.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I'd written this issue when I could see the $44.99 on the Download button in the App Store. In the end it was my only re-download option so I went for it.
  • John Pane
    John Pane Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    John Pane said:

Marcus, I have two UI issues/requests I hope you can bring to the development team. 

First, if a user has filled out a new transaction but has not saved it by hitting <enter> there is no warning and the transaction is not saved. It would be nice if Quicken prompted the user just like if they quit an application while working on a document that has unsaved changes.

Second, it is too easy to accidentally delete a transaction by hitting <delete>. If the user notices immediately they can hit undo, but if they do not notice there is risk that important information will be lost permanently. Here is another case where it would be very nice for Quicken to warn the user. 

If you cannot make these the default features because some users don't want them, then, could they be optionally turned on via preference?

Thanks,
    John
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Yes...the second one is almost critical, as the impact can be significant...this exists in QM2007 as standard...you cannot delete a transaction without warning...and if it is a reconciled transaction, it points out the implications too...
    Absolutely need this, as MANY users have reported accidentally deleting transactions without fully knowing it, even experienced SUs here. 
    At the very least, the second one should be standard. It is too important to not have this, and soon.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    John Pane said:

Yes...the second one is almost critical, as the impact can be significant...this exists in QM2007 as standard...you cannot delete a transaction without warning...and if it is a reconciled transaction, it points out the implications too...
    Absolutely need this, as MANY users have reported accidentally deleting transactions without fully knowing it, even experienced SUs here. 
    At the very least, the second one should be standard. It is too important to not have this, and soon.

• RickO
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

That should not have happened if you were signed into the same iCloud account from which you purchased it. But that's an Apple issue, not a Quicken issue.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5.6 release changes preferences and fails to download tra....

@Quicken Marcus:  This is bloody irritating!

You release a new version of QM2017 that changes ones Preference settings without asking permission.  I do not want "Allow creation of linked transfers using the category field" set in General Preferences.  There's a transfer field that is far more suitable for that purpose.

I do not want "Use posted date for matched transactions (instead of the date  you enter manually)." set in Connected Services.  If I want to see the posted date for a manually entered transaction, I can always display the Posted column.

The most egregious problem is the failure to download all transactions for Quicken Connect accounts.  To download all of the transactions that occurred today, I had to use the "Accounts > New > Checking" technique to re-establish the links to the Quicken Connect accounts at my credit union.

Do you suspect that I might be slightly irritated with QM2017 4.5.6?

Seems like not the only one that has lost budgets after an update.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/my-budget-disappeared-with-last-upgrade-to-quick...

BUT what this post shows (Budget has disappeared) is that issues like this that get reported with Quicken Support are not getting passed on to the developers to identify issues with the product. I thought Quicken Support was supposed to be the catch all for issues with the product. 

Just because support was able to get the user back up and running does not mean this problem did not warrant further investigation. There is clearly a gap or break-down in communication or procedures to capture and forward reported issues. 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

This bug seems to persist, so I'm posting it here to make sure it's captured:

When my bank changes the name of my account (e.g., "Gold Card" to "Platinum Card"), the "Account Status" window reports an error (324, DEAD account) and transactions no longer download for these accounts. Resetting the connected services (Preferences->Advanced) doesn't fix it, nor does changing the connection type or deactivating and re-activating downloads (account settings). The only workarounds I've seen are to:

a) manually change the account names back to their original names on the bank website (not possible for some banks), or
    b) export all data to a QXF file and then create a new file and import this file and reconnect all the accounts. (This works, except exporting to QXF doesn't maintain memos/notes or attachments.)

Can a future release *please* work in a means to reset the connection to a bank without having to re-create the file from scratch or losing memos/attachments? Pretty please?

Whatever happened to the export to CSV functionality? I'm trying to export a report that I custom created and need the values into Excel. This was there before in the 2016 version and earlier.
  • RickO
    edited June 2017
    Options

This bug seems to persist, so I'm posting it here to make sure it's captured:

When my bank changes the name of my account (e.g., "Gold Card" to "Platinum Card"), the "Account Status" window reports an error (324, DEAD account) and transactions no longer download for these accounts. Resetting the connected services (Preferences->Advanced) doesn't fix it, nor does changing the connection type or deactivating and re-activating downloads (account settings). The only workarounds I've seen are to:

a) manually change the account names back to their original names on the bank website (not possible for some banks), or
    b) export all data to a QXF file and then create a new file and import this file and reconnect all the accounts. (This works, except exporting to QXF doesn't maintain memos/notes or attachments.)

Can a future release *please* work in a means to reset the connection to a bank without having to re-create the file from scratch or losing memos/attachments? Pretty please?

Exactly which version of Quicken are you using and exactly which report are you trying to export?
This discussion has been closed.