Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5.4 Released

Options

Comments

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Problems with quicken2017 mac update..

Problems with quicken 2017 mac update. I installed as requested, but it was corrupted and corrupted my data file. I was able to restore from backup. Please be careful

Did you run into this issue with 4.5.6?  4.5.6 attempts to auto-correct the OS file system issue that you're running into and you shouldn't have seen it but let me know if you did.  As far as we can tell, this isn't a Quicken Mac issue.  What's happening is that some process or something in MacOS is adding permissions to the Quicken database that says it can't be deleted. When we migrate your file, we create a copy to do the migration.  When we're done and everything worked correctly, we then try to delete the old version of your database.  Because the Can't Delete ACL was applied, we aren't allowed to delete the database which is completely unexpected and so the old database remains and since it hasn't been migrated, the file won't open.  We don't know how some people's files get into this state.  We noticed this happened to about .3% of customers.  4.5.6 tries to work around this issue by first getting rid of these permission settings before doing the database migration so it should work.  If it didn't then something else is going on and we'd like to fix it or to figure out a way to workaround it like we did with the ACL issue.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited June 2017
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5.6 release changes preferences and fails to download tra....

@Quicken Marcus:  This is bloody irritating!

You release a new version of QM2017 that changes ones Preference settings without asking permission.  I do not want "Allow creation of linked transfers using the category field" set in General Preferences.  There's a transfer field that is far more suitable for that purpose.

I do not want "Use posted date for matched transactions (instead of the date  you enter manually)." set in Connected Services.  If I want to see the posted date for a manually entered transaction, I can always display the Posted column.

The most egregious problem is the failure to download all transactions for Quicken Connect accounts.  To download all of the transactions that occurred today, I had to use the "Accounts > New > Checking" technique to re-establish the links to the Quicken Connect accounts at my credit union.

Do you suspect that I might be slightly irritated with QM2017 4.5.6?

MC: We have no idea why some people's preferences are changing.  We didn't change them.  This isn't happening to everyone so not sure what the difference is.  Possibly OS version?

In terms of transaction downloads, I'm guessing it's more a coincidence than related to 4.5.6.  If you didn't see any issues in beta, I don't know why it would be different with 4.5.6.  Nothing in the transaction download code changed between beta and 4.5.6.

Concordman, you lost your budget?  This is the first I've heard of this.  Did this happen to anyone else?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I like the new loan features, but with 4.5.4 (Build 45.17432.100), it seems I can no longer Reconcile my loan accounts.  Is this expected?

I tried to update from the App Store version but I get an error creating a backup of my backup file "preupdate" because I don't have permission to access automatic updates.  I had to use Time Machine to revert back to the old version as this made the new version not useable... What is the fix for this? I did go in and make a fresh backup and tried again... same error.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Michael said:

I have changed all of my liabilities to loans (i.e. Auto/Mortgage).  The one thing I see missing, and is throwing off the calculations is the Loan Start Date.  Yes, we have the First Payment Date, but with many loans, the first payment is not on the standard schedule.  For example, on all of my loans, there was approximately a month and a half between receipt of the loan and the first payment.  This caused 1.5 months interest to be applied to the first payment rather than 1 month.  That extra half month worth of interest is incorporated into the loan amount.  Because this interest isn't accounted for, Quicken calculated loan payments are off and aren't really useful.

Please bring back the "Opening Date" that was used in other versions.

I get the situation but I'm not sure I fully understand the issue. The math is always based on the current balance so it should reset every month based on what your monthly balance is at that time.  It doesn't look to the past.  It only goes forward. So everything should work out as long as the loan model is correct. Possibly use the maturity date instead of 1st payment or opening date to make sure the model is correct.  This is the day your bank says you'll be paid off. Then put in the correct number of payment intervals or years.  30 year or 15 years, etc.  As long as these things are correct the math should work if you're talking about mortgages.  Auto loans are a different story.   Quicken doesn't currently support daily simple interest loans and may auto loans use this method.  I don't know if it's all auto loans or just most but the model is different than mortgages.  In these loans, interest is calculated daily even though payments are only made monthly.  If you pay early it affects the interest paid whereas in a mortgage the payment isn't applied until your due date. We're working on adding this but it's not in 4.5.x.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

In QM2017 4.5.6, why doesn't the loan feature recognize the effect of entered transactions?  Notice in the screenshot below that the June payment has already been applied, but the payment breakdown above shows a breakdown for a June payment (doesn't match what I entered).  At this point, it should showing July 1 instead of June 1.  

So the current balance (post June payment) is reflected in the loan details shot shown below, and the next loan payment is shown for July.  The principal calculation also appears to be off. Something appears to be amiss. 

Now, I don't have a scheduled transaction set up with this because as I've noted previously that function can't be used with budgets due to the fact that transfers can't be budgeted yet.  Either we need to be able to budget transfers or be able to pick the category for the principal in order to track that in the budget.  

This appears to be a bug in the program.  

I'd like see what the future payment breakdown will be so that I know the correct principal and interest amounts to enter.  Because I don't have a scheduled transaction set up through the loan, I have to manually update those amounts.  The reason I don't have a scheduled transaction set up through the loan relates to how I have my budget setup to track the principal payments on the mortgage.  Currently there's no way to track those principal payments in a budget using the loan account setup.  Frankly, that's the biggest issue for me.  

With respect to expectation of principal, I was expecting it to be 1020.78 instead of  1023.93.  The number is "reasonable," but not exact.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

In QM2017 4.5.6, why doesn't the loan feature recognize the effect of entered transactions?  Notice in the screenshot below that the June payment has already been applied, but the payment breakdown above shows a breakdown for a June payment (doesn't match what I entered).  At this point, it should showing July 1 instead of June 1.  

So the current balance (post June payment) is reflected in the loan details shot shown below, and the next loan payment is shown for July.  The principal calculation also appears to be off. Something appears to be amiss. 

Now, I don't have a scheduled transaction set up with this because as I've noted previously that function can't be used with budgets due to the fact that transfers can't be budgeted yet.  Either we need to be able to budget transfers or be able to pick the category for the principal in order to track that in the budget.  

So sounds like the real desired solution is to improve budget functionality, then this need for an alternative solution would not be needed.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Michael said:

I have changed all of my liabilities to loans (i.e. Auto/Mortgage).  The one thing I see missing, and is throwing off the calculations is the Loan Start Date.  Yes, we have the First Payment Date, but with many loans, the first payment is not on the standard schedule.  For example, on all of my loans, there was approximately a month and a half between receipt of the loan and the first payment.  This caused 1.5 months interest to be applied to the first payment rather than 1 month.  That extra half month worth of interest is incorporated into the loan amount.  Because this interest isn't accounted for, Quicken calculated loan payments are off and aren't really useful.

Please bring back the "Opening Date" that was used in other versions.

On my weird problem, entering the maturity date vs. first payment date didn't change anything ... I still get the last two payments lumped together and ending one month early. I'm not worrying about it ... might be related to the fact that the loan was originally set up in Quicken Mac 2007.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

Yes.  If the loan functionality would interface better with the budget, specifically for the principal payments, that would be a significant improvement.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5.6 release changes preferences and fails to download tra....

@Quicken Marcus:  This is bloody irritating!

You release a new version of QM2017 that changes ones Preference settings without asking permission.  I do not want "Allow creation of linked transfers using the category field" set in General Preferences.  There's a transfer field that is far more suitable for that purpose.

I do not want "Use posted date for matched transactions (instead of the date  you enter manually)." set in Connected Services.  If I want to see the posted date for a manually entered transaction, I can always display the Posted column.

The most egregious problem is the failure to download all transactions for Quicken Connect accounts.  To download all of the transactions that occurred today, I had to use the "Accounts > New > Checking" technique to re-establish the links to the Quicken Connect accounts at my credit union.

Do you suspect that I might be slightly irritated with QM2017 4.5.6?

Quicken Marcus:  When QM2017 4.5.4 was downloaded and installed, I created a new database from my Quicken Premier 2017 data file.  I could have forgotten to check and correct my Preferences and not noticed it until the transaction download problem after installing QM2017 4.5.6.

I have reported the download problem in the past but only see the problem related to linking Quicken Connect accounts when a new database is created from importing a Quicken Premier 2017 data file in the current bug reports.  Quicken Tamara had provided me with the "Accounts > New > Checking" technique to get the account IDs back in synch between the desktop and the Quicken Connect server.

After the 3 transactions failed to download after two "Update all" attempts, I used the technique to re-establish the synchronize the account IDs between the desktop and the Quicken Connect server.  The transactions were downloaded with the next "Update all" attempt.

This is an infrequent problem but has been occurring for several years now.  It could be the result of corruption in the Accounts table on my local system but I think it might more likely to do with the Mint Gateway or the Quicken Connect server itself.  While it is fairly easy to correct the problem, it is impossible to readily reproduce the problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I like the new loan features, but with 4.5.4 (Build 45.17432.100), it seems I can no longer Reconcile my loan accounts.  Is this expected?

I am also having the exact same issue. If anyone has a fix let me know.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I was able to use a work around. I setup the new version of quicken from scratch and once it finished I had it open my old file and it setup properly as far as I can tell so far. Still checking things out to make sure
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I just upgraded to Quicken Mac 2017 4.5.6 via the app store. Now when launching quicken it appears to be upgrading the data file and fails saying "There was an error creating a backup of the document: “BACKUP (Pre-Update) - My Finances 2017-06-10.quicken2017backup” couldn’t be copied because you don’t have permission to access “Automatic Backups”."

I have not seen an issue with access to Automatic Backups in the past. Help please!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Rob Enns said:

I just upgraded to Quicken Mac 2017 4.5.6 via the app store. Now when launching quicken it appears to be upgrading the data file and fails saying "There was an error creating a backup of the document: “BACKUP (Pre-Update) - My Finances 2017-06-10.quicken2017backup” couldn’t be copied because you don’t have permission to access “Automatic Backups”."

I have not seen an issue with access to Automatic Backups in the past. Help please!

Apparently this is an obscure bug affecting a small number of users. You will need to contact support to try to resolve.

See this note above by Quicken Marcus: 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-mac-2017-v4-5-4-released?topic-reply-lis...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Rob Enns said:

Also appears one user found a work-around here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-mac-2017-v4-5-4-released?topic-reply-lis...

See if that helps.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

Apparently this is an obscure bug affecting a small number of users. You will need to contact support to try to resolve. 

See this note above by Quicken Marcus: 

Maybe your work-around will work for others too.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Rob Enns said:

Thanks for your reply, I'll give it a try.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Rob Enns said:

I've had this issue too and rollbacked to 4.4.3. Wasted a few hours I didn't have on this. Given this issue and a the other issues associated with 4.5, doesn't feel like quicken has adequate release and development testing for a financial application. Starting to regret moving to quicken on the mac. I've seen quite a few others report this issue. One example: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2017-version-4-5-6-hangs 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have version 4.5.6 and the loan features are still buggy. Specifically, the balances are not calculating for mortgage-type accounts after conversion to the new loan type. And then, I converted the account type back to a standard liability account and it's still not calculating correctly.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

Quicken Tech Support +1(844)575(3211) Customer Service Phone Number for Technical Help
    Quicken Tech Support +1(844)575(3211) Customer Service Phone Number for Technical Help
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I've lost everything, I cannot open my data after the update from the App Store.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

I just tried reinstalling. I was now able to open the program. I was NOT able to import my old files from Mac Quicken 2017. "There was an error creating a backip
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

Help, Lost everything!!!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

Restore the old version if you have a time machine backup. Happened to me and that allowed me to go back to the old version.
  • cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

The phone number repeatedly listed above is NOT the number for Quicken support. To find the Quicken support number go to Help->Contact Customer Support and find 650-250-1900.

There are several locations that ,list themselves as Quicken support on the internet that charge for information of dubious value.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Rob Enns said:

See this post:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/resolution-quicken-mac-2017-4-5-4-fails-to-launc...
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Rob Enns said:

We've confirmed that anyone that has created a custom backup folder in the Mac App Store Version of Quicken will run into this issue.  The way we've implemented the backup feature doesn't work when using the Mac App Store version when trying to save outside of the Container folder on your Mac.  This is blocked by MacOS because of something called sandboxing.  It helps make using the app more secure since it doesn't let apps write files to anywhere on your machine without first explicitly getting approval from you.  This limitation doesn't exist for downloaded or retail versions of apps.  This is a bug that we need to fix.  

If you've run into this issue, you will see an error message that looks like the following:
    In the short term, the way to fix this is to go to quit Quicken first.  Then open Terminal and type the following:
    defaults delete com.quicken.Quicken.2017 BackupDirectoryPath
    This will revert your backup folder to the default location which does work.  Once you do this, you'll be able to open your file.  We'll make this easier in the next couple of days and will fix the core bug in a future update.

We are aware of another issue while opening files which can be fixed using a script that we've created.  See https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/resolution-quicken-mac-2017-4-5-4-fails-to-launc... for this solution.  

Just to be clear, none of this is related to version 4.5.6 per se.  4.5.6 is NOT corrupting files.  The issue is that 4.5.6 needs to convert your current file to the new format which was changed because we added the new loan feature and when Quicken does this we make a backup copy of your file first, migrate your current database, and once we verify that it was done successfully, we delete the old database.  All of these issues are because Quicken can't complete that task for some reason.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

We've confirmed that anyone that has created a custom backup folder in the Mac App Store Version of Quicken will run into this issue.  The way we've implemented the backup feature doesn't work when using the Mac App Store version when trying to save outside of the Container folder on your Mac.  This is blocked by MacOS because of something called sandboxing.  It helps make using the app more secure since it doesn't let apps write files to anywhere on your machine without first explicitly getting approval from you.  This limitation doesn't exist for downloaded or retail versions of apps.  This is a bug that we need to fix.  

If you've run into this issue, you will see an error message that looks like the following:
    In the short term, the way to fix this is to go to quit Quicken first.  Then open Terminal and type the following:
    This will revert your backup folder to the default location which does work.  Once you do this, you'll be able to open your file.  We'll make this easier in the next couple of days and will fix the core bug in a future update.

We are aware of another issue while opening files which can be fixed using a script that we've created.  See https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/resolution-quicken-mac-2017-4-5-4-fails-to-launc... for this solution.  

Just to be clear, none of this is related to version 4.5.6 per se.  4.5.6 is NOT corrupting files.  The issue is that 4.5.6 needs to convert your current file to the new format which was changed because we added the new loan feature and when Quicken does this we make a backup copy of your file first, migrate your current database, and once we verify that it was done successfully, we delete the old database.  All of these issues are because Quicken can't complete that task for some reason.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited June 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

• Quicken Marcus
    edited June 2017
    Options

I have version 4.5.6 and the loan features are still buggy. Specifically, the balances are not calculating for mortgage-type accounts after conversion to the new loan type. And then, I converted the account type back to a standard liability account and it's still not calculating correctly.

Can you provide a little more detail regarding what you're seeing?  Are you saying that in the register the running balances and your overall balance doesn't match what you think it should be?  Do you have scheduled transactions? In the loan account, it's supposed to match your remaining loan principal.  Is this a connected account?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

Got it.  Yes, there are still a few budget limitations like Quicken doesn't support transfers, account selection, or investment income.
This discussion has been closed.