Unable to update billers

Options
Rich Burke
Rich Burke Member ✭✭✭

Getting this error today after attempting manually refresh bills after seeing several were not getting updated:

"Quicken could not retrieve the list of billers"

Continued issues with online billers and integration.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Rich Burke,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you described receiving? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments. Please remember to redact any personal information as needed.

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Rich Burke
    Rich Burke Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine attached screen shot

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Rich Burke,

Thank you for providing that screenshot.

First, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password (this screen is not a pop-up box)

Please let me know how this goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Rich Burke
    Rich Burke Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine following the above steps did not solve the issue, still getting the same error - "Unable to update billers"

In fact taking that action screwed up my data file and I had to restore from backup

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Rich Burke,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

I suggest you try to Review and Repair Online billers. However, I do recommend that you save a backup of your data file first (just in case). After that, please navigate to the Bills & Income tab and click on the gear icon on the top-right. Then, click on Review and Repair > Review and Repair Online Billers in the dropdown menu.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Rich Burke
    Rich Burke Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Anja performing the above actions did not resolve the issue, attempting to refresh a bill still returns the following error

• Rich Burke
    Rich Burke Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This happens with every biller

• Robert Ralyea
    Robert Ralyea Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue and tried the same suggestions requested by Quicken Anja

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

If the Review and Repair did not rectify the issue, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Robert Ralyea
    Options

Q Kristina

- After performing your suggestions I receive the following message after selecting bills tab, add online biller see attachment.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your response,

If the Validate/Super Validate did not correct the issue, the next step would be restoring a backup from before the issue started, if possible, then testing to see if the issue reoccurs in the newly restored file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Robert Ralyea
    Options

thank you for your reply. I have to think about That as it has been probably over 4 weeks. I see many posts regarding this error. I did setup a new file on our second computer with one bank and one biller with the same results. I even setup a bank other than Bank of America which I received a message that we can’t download bills for the time being.

• Robert Ralyea
    Options

I tried a restore back to April 1st, same issue. By the way sometimes I get a message that Q can’t find the biller list.

Maybe I will call support but they will ask not perform the same tests as you did.

• Quicken Kristina
    edited May 2023
    Options

Bank of America currently does not support online biller functionality, but can still be set up as a manual biller. What other billers are you having this issue with, or is this affecting all online billers?

Since you mentioned this is happening on multiple devices, is there any network setting that changed? Did you recently replace a router or modem? Do you use a VPN, firewall, or antivirus? If so, have you tried pausing them to see if that corrects the issue?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Rich Burke
    Rich Burke Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina I do a file validation weekly, so that definitely does not solve the problem, a super validate did not solve the issue. Still I am getting the error "Unable to update billers. Quicken could not retrieve the list of billers. Please try again later"

Need a solution, this is a bug that needs a fix please.

• Robert Ralyea
    Options

I agree the problem is a Quicken bug and we are bot the only users with the problem. I am thinking of getting rid of BOA SS they have added to the frustrations.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

The next troubleshooting step I would suggest is try creating a copy of your data file. This will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.
    If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

It's important to know that all online services in the copied file will be disconnected and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Robert Ralyea
    Options

this procedure partially fixed my problem. I was able to DL bills currently on my Quicken. I still can’t add new bills. Can’t add new bills at the moment. And I can’t add Bank Of America bills as stated in the Quicken message April 14 2023. This problem started about the same time.
    If I can’t DL bills from my billers or add billers ahead of the biller sending a text message is due then really Quicken is not even a very good check register anymore.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

To test if it is a connection issue or a file issue, I would suggest creating a new Quicken file (name it test and opt to not use mobile and web) and testing to see if it will let you add a new bill in that new, blank file. Please keep in mind that currently Bank of America does not support the online biller functionality, so it would need to be a different biller that does support it.

After you have tested whether it works in the new file, you can return to your original file. The "How to alternate between multiple files" section of this article gives directions on how to do that.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Rich Burke
    Rich Burke Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina this did not solve my problem, still getting the error "Unable to update billers. Quicken could not retrieve the list of billers. Please try again later"

• Robert Ralyea
    Options

yes I tried this yesterday on another computer and still had the same issue. Bank of America is my main bank so I used and old account at another institution and still could not add accounts.

• badagliacca
    badagliacca Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Kristina, I have the same problem. Do you represent Quicken and does Quicken support your comments and suggestions? Does Quicken acknowledge this problem? Can you provide a list of institutions that support Bill Reminders or alternatively a list of institutions that do not support Bill Reminders?
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Due to the nature of this issue, it is recommended that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real-time and escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance!

Quicken Kristina

• Robert Ralyea
    Options

thanks you gave your all so I will contact support..

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    Options

Hi All, I am sorry for the trouble you had over the weekend. Can you please let me know if you still need assistance with this and what billers you are having issues with? Can you also clarify if you are on the latest release? Thank you.

Quicken Janean

• Robert Ralyea
    edited May 2023
    Options

yes I am on the latest release. We can’t add any reminders or billers. We have explained this in detail for weeks on many posts.

• badagliacca
    badagliacca Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Kristina You have not responded to my previously asked questions. I repeat them: Do you represent Quicken and does Quicken support your comments and suggestions? Does Quicken acknowledge this problem? Can you provide a list of institutions that support Bill Reminders or alternatively a list of institutions that do not support Bill Reminders? Please respond in some way.
  • Rich Burke
    Rich Burke Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Janean please go back and read the thread, the error I am encountering is documented there multiple times.

"Unable to update billers. Quicken could not retrieve the list of billers. Please try again later"

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin
    edited May 2023
    Options

Thank you for all of the details. Please go to Help> Report a Problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

Quicken Janean

• Rich Burke
    Rich Burke Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Janean how do we know it is being addressed? Some of these issues linger for months or years without any resolution or even evidence that it's on the backlog or being worked on.

This discussion has been closed.