Has Quicken dropped support for Discover Bank Discover Credit Cards?

Options
@tgm
@tgm Member ✭✭
I haven't successfully downloaded my credit card account for over 6 weeks. Attempted to delete and reconnect and now cannot even connect to Discover Bank without getting an error.

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken didn't but Discover (Card & Bank) dropped support of Direct Connect AND Web Connect download methods and only support Express Web Connect. Look on the Account List (Tools menu) to see what is established for your account.

If it is not EWC, then you will need to de-activate it and then re-activate for the EWC download method. Check on the Discover website for any special instructions you might need to follow for the re-activation.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Quicken didn't but Discover (Card & Bank) dropped support of Direct Connect AND Web Connect download methods and only support Express Web Connect. Look on the Account List (Tools menu) to see what is established for your account.

If it is not EWC, then you will need to de-activate it and then re-activate for the EWC download method. Check on the Discover website for any special instructions you might need to follow for the re-activation.

• frbmhs
    frbmhs Member
    Options

I was having the same issue the last couple of days; however, today, I deleted the Discover account and then downloaded it once again and it is working now.

• xtexan
    xtexan Member ✭✭
    Options

i contacted discover bank and this was their response - NOT GOOD NEWS

Thank you for your being a valued Discover customer. I understand your concern regarding being able to import your transactions using the Quicken or QuickBooks software.

Unfortunately, Quicken and QuickBooks software is no longer supported. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

You are able to access your transactions anytime through your online account center by clicking on your Activity under your account details. You are also able to download the transaction history in an Excel or CSV file

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

What Discover is saying is strictly true, but they are splitting hairs. EWC does not require any participation by Discover since Intuit (the Quicken aggregation provider) uses the customer's userid & password to log into the Discover website and download the transactions to the Quicken/Intuit server for later retrieval by the desktop program.

So, strictly speaking, Discover does not support downloads to Quicken like they did when they supported both Direct Connect and Web Connect downloads.

• JayRowHiTop
    JayRowHiTop Member ✭✭
    Options

I am not able to connect to Discover Bank. The Discover Card connection is still working but the bank connection is not. I attempted to re-establish the connection in a test Quicken file and it will not connect. The Discover Card connects fine in the test file. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue? Thanks!

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What error do you get? I get the CC-501 when trying to connect the cards (I haven't tried the workaround yet). Quicken Support says this issue is 100% completely unrelated to the Community Alert Discover issue.

• JayRowHiTop
    JayRowHiTop Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't get an error, just this message when I try to activate online updates.

• BarryGraham
    BarryGraham Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I am getting the same error. It's a known issue. See here. @Quicken Anja or @Quicken Jasmine can you please give an update on when this issue will be resolved, it's been happening for nearly 2 months.

Barry Graham
    Quicken H&B Subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Q CAN'T fix this. It was Discover's decision to drop Q. Read the messages above for the cure.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• BarryGraham
    Options

As it says in the link I posted, "This has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA at this time". In fact Discover Card is working again. Regardless of whether this is for Quicken or Discover to fix, it will get fixed eventually for Discover Bank.

Barry Graham
    Quicken H&B Subscription
  • ftdatl
    ftdatl Member ✭✭
    Options

I've been having the same "Sorry the sign in failed do to time out or connection error" message, IMMEDIATELY (not a timeout) for days. Its as if DiscoverBank isn't allowing EWC / aggregation to be done anymore. This is infuriating. Our family has many accounts with them.

It does seem like it's still getting transactions for most of our accounts, but I cannot add 2 new accounts due to the "connection" issue, and my wife changed her password at DiscoverBank recently, and as a result of the "connection" issue, I can't update quicken to the new password for her accounts.

What did Quicken do to tick-off DiscoverBank?

• jbiny
    jbiny Member
    Options

I'm a new (returning) Quicken customer and this is not good news as I bank with discover. Can we get an update from Quicken on this issue? Thanks!

• mike3143
    mike3143 Member, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

There is a converter that should work but it's not free and requires extra steps. You will download the CSV or Excel file from Discover's website and convert it to Quicken. The site will let you have a trial but the trial will limit the transactions it converts. I would suggest trying it on a copy of your data. It's an old-school way but works.

https://propersoft.net/

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But there is a FREE one called ImportQIF by quicknperlwiz, a regular on this forum, that will convert the .CSV file into .QIF and it filters out duplicate transactions that it has processed in the past, does payee renaming and category assignments based on renamed payee.

• mike3143
    mike3143 Member, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
  • BarryGraham
    Options

Discover Bank seems to be working again.

Barry Graham
    Quicken H&B Subscription
  • edkaczmarek
    Options

Discoverbank transaction downloads have stopped working for me as of Aug 15, 2023. Worked fine for years. And some how the balance from online is reported, but no new transactions show up. I swear, it's maddening….

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this statement @splasher. Discover definitely dropped Direct Connect and Web Connect, but at least Intuit still thinks the agreement for Express Web Connect is in force.

People might think that a company like Quicken Inc or Intuit can just use your login information to access various websites to get whatever information they want, but they can't. They would get into a lot of legal problems doing that. This the reason why you might be able to get free stock quotes, but a company like Quicken Inc has to pay for the service.

Express Web Connect is an "agreement between Intuit (Quicken Inc's aggregator) and the financial institution of how to download the transaction data." A lot of people would like it to be different where their financial institution would be supported without the financial institution agreeing to it but have to be told that the financial institution is the one that controls that.

So, why the big disconnect in what the Discover representative said and what is clearly happening with Quicken?

I have a couple guesses.

• The front-line people just don't know what is happening in the backend. This happens all the time.
    • The service is actually provided by a third-party that they aren't aware of. A lot of financial institutions use third-parties to provide services for their websites. Intuit works with those third-party services to provide Express Web Connect. The very fact that it is one step removed means sometimes even the "backend" people don't know that it has been authorized/is going on.

As for the unreliability of Express Web Connect, well that comes from the fact that there isn't a set protocol, just an agreement. That means that one financial institution might have a very good way for Intuit to log in and get the data, and other might force Intuit to log in as you and navigate the ever-changing webpages on their site to get at the data in any number of forms.

The most difficult part of this is actually logging in. As security concerns have gone up financial institutions have taken steps to make it more difficult to log in, especially for a program like Intuit would be using. After all that is close to what a hacker might do.

Express Web Connect + (and Direct Connect) are different in that they have their own protocols on how to login to get the information. They don't go through the standard web interface login. Whereas Express Web Connect is as I know using the standard web login that the user uses. On top of that both Express Web Connect + and Direct Connect use a standardized protocol for getting the data, whereas Express Web Connect it is just "an agreed upon method", which might include going through web pages that might change at any time.

This is why Express Web Connect can be very reliable at one financial institution and totally unreliable at another. And note that part of the problem with logging in as if Intuit is a web browser is all the different 2 factor login systems that are out there today.

Side note, when Express Web Connect + doesn't use your username and password. It uses a secure rotating token. To establish the connection you log into your financial institutions and authorize Intuit/Quicken to use this method to log into your account(s).

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BarryGraham
    Options
    Barry Graham
    Quicken H&B Subscription
  • Bobby1968
    Bobby1968 Member
    Options

Download with Discover still not working. Same message. Unable to connect with servers. Do not contact Discover, it is not their issue.

Any update if Quicken acknowledges there is a problem.

• Thomas Roche
    Thomas Roche Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Don't forget to sign out and back in using Edit… Preferences….Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts…..

Once you do sign out & in try re-adding your Discover related accounts. For credit cards use Discover Card, for checking & savings accounts use Discover Bank.

This sign out/in step seems to be necessary to get things working again.

• fab5friend
    fab5friend Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much for this advice. My discover card was able to update but nothing I did was able to get quicken to update my discover bank account. This has gone on for several weeks. When trying to set up the connection it was only seeing the card and not the bank. After logging out and then back in it finally recognized both accounts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For credit cards use Discover Card, for checking & savings accounts use Discover Bank as the Financial Institution Name.

• BarryGraham
    Options

Discover Card Center can be used for card and bank accounts.

Barry Graham
    Quicken H&B Subscription
  • angeliquemarie
    angeliquemarie Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

That didnt work. 🤨

I followed the advice to sign out and then back in, re-entered my information for Discover Card and still get

The last transaction I was able to download was from 8/7/23.

• karen m
    karen m Member ✭✭✭
    Options

same exact for me. @Quicken Anja reported there was a fix and then said to try doing the sign out of quickend ID but it still is not working. Others are saying discover no longer connects to Quicken. Frustrating to not get straight answers. Ready to drop discover card at this rate. Maybe Quicken too with all the connection issues they have with various banks. Spend more time "fixing" errors than just reconciling accounts.

• The_E
    The_E Member ✭✭
    Options

This is weird but this is my situation. Discover CC was downloading yet the banking was not. The banking started downloading on August 31st. The credit card stopped downloading on August 25th. This is very frustrating. The balance is there but the transactions supporting that balance are not. I've had to manually input the cc transactions. If this is a dispute, it needs to be corrected. We're paying for a service that's not working.

This discussion has been closed.