Quicken for Mac 2016 Release 3.5.1 Discussion

Hi All,
If you have questions or comments about the Quicken for Mac 2016 3.5.1 Release, please post them here for the product team.

Thanks,
Quicken Kathryn
Quicken Kathryn
Community Administrator

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    I'm getting an Error 324 Account marked as "DEAD".  How do I troubleshoot this?  My Quicken is not updating
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Don't know if this is the best forum for my problem, but here goes.  Received two program updates(Quicken-7.qif, and -8.qif.  When I attempt to install them I get  "...Safari can't open the file because no available application can open it".
    Second problem, all worked fine when first purchased a few days ago, now when I attempt to "Update all accounts online", I get the following:  can't connect to (my banks name) because Safari can't connect to the server".  Very odd, because I can connect using Safari outside of Quicken
  • Tom11
    Tom11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

I'm getting an Error 324 Account marked as "DEAD".  How do I troubleshoot this?  My Quicken is not updating

Is the name at your bank or credit union of the account the same as it has always been or has that changed. My bank renamed an account, and I had to go to the bank and online rename it back to what it use to be.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016

I had changed the nickname of 3 accounts in my Wells Fargo Online Banking.  I then went into my Quicken settings on each of those accounts to change the names there as well to read exactly the same.  The error is still there.  Are you saying that I cannot change the nickname on each account?  I would think that the account number is what matters.  But I'm open to suggestions.  This is inconvenient as I'm unable to keep up with my accounting at this time.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I downloaded and installed Quicken for Mac  v 3.5.1.  Then I began to reconcile my checking account,   The process using prior versions was quite straight forward. I have being using Quicken/Intuit  for nearly twenty years and have had no difficulty reconciling my accounts.  I did so on July 1, 2016.  Using the current version on August 3, 2016, Quicken shows a discrepancy of $ 2271.95.  It also shows the my Quicken balance is nearly $400 higher  than the  checking account shows it to be.  

If nothing else works, I will go into TimeMachine and reinstall the last version, and pray that I will never need to install any newer version.  Obviously I need help.  I would like to point out that I am very comfortable with mathematics, having earned three degrees in that field. 

Two  questions.  Did any of the software developers actually use the software?  Has anyone there heard of the saying "If it ain't busted, don't fix it"?

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]
  • Tom11
    Tom11 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

My name (Nickname) of my account that was dead error 324, was changed on my Credit Union Website. Don't remember exactly but when I figured out it use to be called one of these two I switched back. Interest Checking vs Draft Checking. Changed on CU site.

Then I went to Troubleshoot under settings in quicken for that account, and deactivated and RE-Hooked up my Account in Quicken with the now correctly named account from CU.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Downloaded and installed new update for Mac.  All my accounts will update except for one bank where I have 5 Accounts.  I get Download Error (102).  How can I correct this?
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I downloaded and installed Quicken for Mac  v 3.5.1.  Then I began to reconcile my checking account,   The process using prior versions was quite straight forward. I have being using Quicken/Intuit  for nearly twenty years and have had no difficulty reconciling my accounts.  I did so on July 1, 2016.  Using the current version on August 3, 2016, Quicken shows a discrepancy of $ 2271.95.  It also shows the my Quicken balance is nearly $400 higher  than the  checking account shows it to be.  

If nothing else works, I will go into TimeMachine and reinstall the last version, and pray that I will never need to install any newer version.  Obviously I need help.  I would like to point out that I am very comfortable with mathematics, having earned three degrees in that field. 

Two  questions.  Did any of the software developers actually use the software?  Has anyone there heard of the saying "If it ain't busted, don't fix it"?

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

I haven't received my July bank statements yet.  I have clicked on the Reconcile icon in the tool bar.  The "Use Online Balance" did show the correct balance as of 03 August 2016.  When I selected "Use Statement Balance", the Starting/Prior Balance matched the balance reported on 30 June 2016 after reconciling the accounts to my June statement.

One major difference in the reconciliation process is that the difference displayed in the Reconcile window is the sum of all transactions that have not been marked as Reconciled in the Clr column instead of just the transactions since the last time that you reconciled your account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I absolutely LOVE what you've done with the Budget function.  SO much easier and intuitive, it finally makes sense for me to invest the time to do some real budgeting!  One issue I've come up with, though, is how to exclude an account from the Actuals.  I have an HSA (Health Savings Account) that I wanted to exclude from the Budget Actuals, and I finally figured out that if I go to the account settings and check the box to "hide" it from reports, it removed this account from the Budget Actuals as well as other reports - easy!  However, when I try to exclude my Mortgage (Loan) account in this same manner, it does remove the Mortgage account from other reports, but it still shows up in my Budget Actuals.  How do I remove my Mortgage account from the Budget Actuals?  (It's really annoying, because it shows all my mortgage actuals to be zero (0), because the debit from my checking account is cancelled out by the credit on my mortgage account.)  Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Is the issue with the inability to clear transaction flags (orange pencil, blue envelop) fixed in this release? I sure hope so, but nothing mentioned in the release notes about it.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

We did extensive beta testing of this feature with lots of people trying this out before releasing.

The new method calculates the starting balance based on all reconciled transactions vs just taking the value entered by the customer for a starting balance.   Please read the help that pop ups that provides a deeper explanation of what is happening.

In 3.4 reconciled transactions were NOT used in calculations so if there was an error in the reconciled transactions these wouldn't be detected.

In 3.5 reconciled transactions are the basis for the starting balance so issues are exposed immediately.

The reason we think people are seeing discrepancies is that the new reconcile is exposing errors that have probably been in these accounts for a really long time but were undetected.

The bottom line is that the new reconcile is more accurate than the previous version.

Of course in your particular account there could still be a bug that we missed.  Please take a look at your unreconciled transactions to see if you can spot the issue either in your account or a bug in our new feature.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

i totally agree with George Shrik.  is there another program we can use besides quicken?
    what a crock!
  • Bill8
    Bill8 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

What happens if there are ancient placeholders at account opening?  I know I have minor discrepancies in my investment accounts that hold cash and I have never bothered to reconcile these because, frankly, I don't rely on Quicken for that.  I watched the video, and with this new reconciliation method, can I now reconcile (first time ever for this investing account) and make it agree with my brokerage paper statement?
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    RickO said:

Is the issue with the inability to clear transaction flags (orange pencil, blue envelop) fixed in this release? I sure hope so, but nothing mentioned in the release notes about it.

No, clearing the orange pencil that appears in the Status column has not been fixed nor has the issue of Quicken setting the orange pencil in the Status column when you edit an existing transaction.
  • Bill8
    Bill8 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Lizzy Lou said:

I absolutely LOVE what you've done with the Budget function.  SO much easier and intuitive, it finally makes sense for me to invest the time to do some real budgeting!  One issue I've come up with, though, is how to exclude an account from the Actuals.  I have an HSA (Health Savings Account) that I wanted to exclude from the Budget Actuals, and I finally figured out that if I go to the account settings and check the box to "hide" it from reports, it removed this account from the Budget Actuals as well as other reports - easy!  However, when I try to exclude my Mortgage (Loan) account in this same manner, it does remove the Mortgage account from other reports, but it still shows up in my Budget Actuals.  How do I remove my Mortgage account from the Budget Actuals?  (It's really annoying, because it shows all my mortgage actuals to be zero (0), because the debit from my checking account is cancelled out by the credit on my mortgage account.)  Thanks!

I'll be very interested in any reply to this.  I asked for this before and it wasn't available yet.  (I can't find the old thread at the moment because the "community" system is misbehaving with the new release.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Lizzy Lou said:

If you withdraw money from a retirement account, you will see the same problem.

This is a problem with the transaction selection logic in QM2016 involving transfers between accounts with the Category field set to anything other than Transfer.

For those of us in our dotage, it makes the Budget feature that you rave about totally useless, i.e. over 55% of my annual income is from IRA Distributions that will never appear in the Budget.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

Placeholder entries, generally, have no impact on your cash balance which is what you are reconciling.  As a result, they should not be an issue.

However, if you want to make sure that they won't cause a problem, display the Clr column.  Go to your Placeholder entries.  If the Reconciled icon is not displayed in the Clr column, Option-click in the Clr column of the Placeholder transaction one or more times to set the Reconciled icon in the Clr column.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

Please contact support.  They will be able to walk you through fixing the dead account issue you're seeing with your bank.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

Downloaded and installed new update for Mac.  All my accounts will update except for one bank where I have 5 Accounts.  I get Download Error (102).  How can I correct this?

102 is a bank outage error which means we can't connect to the bank for some reason.  Please try again tomorrow.  If this continues to be a problem, please contact support so they can escalate the issue through the proper channels.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Charles said:

Don't know if this is the best forum for my problem, but here goes.  Received two program updates(Quicken-7.qif, and -8.qif.  When I attempt to install them I get  "...Safari can't open the file because no available application can open it".
    Second problem, all worked fine when first purchased a few days ago, now when I attempt to "Update all accounts online", I get the following:  can't connect to (my banks name) because Safari can't connect to the server".  Very odd, because I can connect using Safari outside of Quicken

First off Quicken Mac doesn't support importing QIF files.  You can only convert a QIF file exported from another program when you first setup an account.

Second, I'm not sure I understand the issue.  Quicken Mac doesn't use Safari to download bank transactions.  Are you using Quicken Mac 2016 or something else? 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Charles said:

A suggestion as a longtime mac user. Try using FireFox rather than Safari.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Charles said:

Charles:  Can you clarify what you are attempting to do?

You can only use a Quicken Information File (QIF) generated by another financial application once to create a new database to use with QM2016.  After the database has been created, you must an Open Financial Exchange/Quicken Financial Exchange (OFX/QFX) file to import new transactions into the database.

It sounds as if you are connecting to your financial institution using the Web Connect method instead of the Quicken Connect (Express Web Connect) method and that your financial institution does not generate or is not configured to generate the OFX/QFX files needed to update QM2016.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Upgraded to 3.5.1 tonight and I'm trying to use the new Reconcile feature for the first time.  Uncleared transactions from my register do not appear in the Reconcile window.  I've looked at every option on the Reconcile window and cannot figure out why the one and only transaction (my monthly payment) is not showing up.  This version seems like it needs a patch already.
  • Quicken Jeff
    Quicken Jeff Member, Employee admin
    edited November 2016

Upgraded to 3.5.1 tonight and I'm trying to use the new Reconcile feature for the first time.  Uncleared transactions from my register do not appear in the Reconcile window.  I've looked at every option on the Reconcile window and cannot figure out why the one and only transaction (my monthly payment) is not showing up.  This version seems like it needs a patch already.

Carmine,

Hello. Could you give a little more information? 
    1. If this a connected account (you download transactions) or manual?
    2. When you click the reconcile option, are you reconciling against "Online Balance" or "Statement Balance"?
    3. If you enter a date, what is the date? Is the date entered before the transaction that is not showing? (If you use Online Balance for a connected account and do not enter a date, what is the date shown under the Online Balance?)
    Thanks,
    Jeff
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Carmine Greco:  To make sure that I understand you correctly, are you stating that a transaction that has not been downloaded from your financial institution is not being included in the Reconcile window?

I've just checked an investment account where QM2016 does not set the Cleared icon in the Clr column when transactions are downloaded from my financial institution unless they are Payment/Deposit type transactions.  The Reconcile window contained all transactions that did not have the Cleared icon set in the Clr column in addition to the transactions that did have the Cleared icon set in the Clr column.

In one of my credit union accounts where QM2016 does set the Cleared icon in the Clr column when transactions are downloaded, I removed the Cleared icon from one of the downloaded transactions.  It appeared in the Reconcile window along with all of the other transactions with the Cleared icon in the Clr column.

Did you resize the Reconcile window to make sure that all transaction appeared in the window or move the vertical slider on the right-hand side of the window to scroll through all of the transactions?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

I used the bank statement to reconcile. But since updating to this current version 3.5.1  it showed a starting balance difference of $114.30 from what my last statement was and I cannot override this so to reconcile I took a hit of $114.30..So how can i offset this so I'm accurate with my bank which I'm now off from...and my tiny bank doesn't do online stuff
    Please advise so I can clear this off my books
    So after I reconciled I deleted the adjusting amount so I am accurate with the bank. I assume I will be off by the $114.30 next month as well. Is there some manual override to correct the starting balance?
    Remember I cannot connect to my tiny FCU online as they don't have access
  • Quicken Jeff
    edited November 2016

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

Bob,

[Apologies in advance. This answer is longer than it needs to be, but I wanted to share some details with the community.]

As of 3.5.1, Quicken will take the sum of all reconciled transactions in your account register to compute the Starting balance (i.e. it does not just remember the last entry).  

As such, it is possible that the $114.30 is reflection of some error in your past history (unreconciled past transactions, a mis-reconciled transaction, etc.) that is being discovered due to this new method.

You can edit this value in Step 1 of reconcile, however.  Then, in Step 2, just make sure all the transactions are checked and in this way you my find the difference (for example: in the case of an unreconciled past transaction).

If you don't find the problem during reconcile in Step 2, an adjusting transaction that accounts for the difference in the computed Starting balance (sum of all reconciled transactions) and value you entered will be inserted to make the entire register add up the value you entered as the Ending Balance as of the Ending balance date.

Overview of 3.5.1 Reconcile Calculations
    The new reconciliation process (which, btw follows the model used in Quicken Windows and Quicken 2007) looks something like this:
    • Starting Balance = Sum of all Reconciled transactions (calculated by Quicken, but can be 

overridden as mentioned above).
    • Ending Balance / Statement Balance = can be manually entered (for example from you statement). Or, if you're downloading, can be auto-entered by using the "Online Balance" option.
    • Ending Date = The date of the Ending balance (i.e. the date you wish to reconcile to). If using Online Balance this is auto-entered as the date of your last download. 
    So, in step 2 to the calculation is:
    • (Starting Balance) + (All transactions marked "cleared"/checked up to the ending Balance date) = Quicken Balance
    • Quicken Balance should equal Ending Balance. If it does not you will see the "difference" value and can either track down the problem or allow quicken to enter an adjustment transaction that will make the two numbers Reconcile.
    If you edited the Starting Balance in Step 1 of reconcile and the transactions you mark as cleared in Step 2 do not balance (difference is not zero), then the calculation is modified slightly to make everything align with your Statement Balance by using a Starting Balance Adjustment. This adjustment is the difference between the starting balance you entered and the calculated starting balance.  NO adjustment will be inserted if the difference between your adjusted Starting Balance  and the Ending Balance = 0 (i.e. If  by ignoring the adjustment the Ending Balance is correct, the adjustment is ignored).

If a Balance Adjustment is needed, the

revised calculation looks like this:
    • ((Starting Balance You entered manually) + (Starting Balance Adjustment)) +  (All transactions marked "cleared"/checked up to the ending Balance date) = Quicken Balance
    <whew>

Hope this helps.
    Jeff
  • Quicken Jeff
    edited November 2016
    Lizzy Lou said:

Lizzy,

I think I see the problem. It looks like Quicken is not refreshing the Budget screen immediately. Try this:
    • Hide the mortgage account (hide in "reports" option)
    • Click off the budget view (onto a register, Bills, etc.)
    • Click back onto the budget view.
    I think you'll see after you navigate away and back it will no longer be shown.

I've reported this bug.

Note that this does exclude your Mortgage from ALL reports. Not just budgets. We are considering other Budget specific filter options (just as account filters) for a future release.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

George B. Shirk
    [Edited Personal Info]

By taking away the Start Date in the Reconciliation window, how does a user perform a Re-Reconcile if they need to? Errors happen and sometimes this is needed.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    Lizzy Lou said:

What if the Budgets function in Build 3.5.1 does not work at all?  It is greyed out.  How do I create a budget? 
This discussion has been closed.