Show Projected Balance should include Future Investment Transactions NOT in Market Value as of Today

Options
Renzo Bianchi
Renzo Bianchi Member ✭✭
Show Projected Balance in Sidebar requested update.
Currently when this is selected it shows the projected balance update for the Banking and Property & Debt areas but does not update the Investing area (which includes Brokerage and Retirement categories).
Although for the most part Investments should be linked to online accounts and be dynamically updated and therefore not have to be projected into the future, there are situations in which they do need to be projected regardless if they are linked or not. One example is: within the retirement account you have an annuity that grows at a set guaranteed interest rate until withdrawals these set interest disbursements can be projected with each yearly date recorded in your quicken retirement account using manual entries. So todays value may be $1,000 its future value may be $1,500.
I have used quicken Windows and Mac for years and like to use the Show feature as a quick way to see my current net worth and distribution across accounts and at one time this feature worked as expected, however, now I cannot get an accurate quick view as it does not include the Investing area in the projections.
I would appreciate Quicken considering this update. If Quicken chooses not to implement it I would like to know the rational as to why it is not implemented.
BTW - I do get around this using custom reporting, but I shouldn't have to do this work around.
8 votes

Planned · Last Updated

QMAC-17177

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I agree. If there are future/scheduled transactions in an investment account, these should be reflected when the Show Projected Balance option is chosen.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the Age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to Add your Vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

~~~***~~~
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds more like a bug that needs addressing vs closing this down.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Blastphemy
    Blastphemy Unconfirmed ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Selecting "Don't Show Reminders" for a cash bank account correctly displays the actual balance (including future transactions that have already been recorded) in both the register and in the account list on the left.

But for Investment accounts, when a transaction has been recorded in the future, the correct balance does NOT show in the account list on the left or as the correct Market Value, even though the balance displays properly in the register next to the number of items.

As you can see in the first attached image, the register for "Cash Balance Plan" shows a balance of $7,625.00 next to "items," but the account list on the left and Market Value both show $0. Whereas in the second attached image, Citibank Joint shows the same balance in the register and in the account list. Both accounts are set to "Don't Show Reminders" to avoid unrecorded scheduled transactions from messing up the balance total, but still allow recorded future transactions to be included in the total.

One other strange thing I noticed in the Cash Balance Plan account register (with only one transaction) was that the green line separating future transactions from prior ones is in the wrong place (after 1/31 instead of before, since this screen capture was taken on 1/30). Not sure what's going on there; perhaps it's confused because there's only one transaction, and that one transaction is in the future?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Yes, projected balances in the left sidebar being incorrect is a bug that's been discussed for awhile in the community forum. Here are a few threads about it:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7885356/ending-and-projected-balances

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7852371/future-transactions

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7751439/quicken-for-mac-improvement-suggestion-account-projection-calculation

Although this is easily reproducible, it's not clear if a Quicken moderator ever submitted this as an "official" bug to Product Development. 

I know I reported it via Report of Problem, but of course, there's no response to those submissions. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Blastphemy
    Blastphemy Unconfirmed ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Options
    As I always do, I formally submitted this as a bug and included a link to this thread so programmers and moderators reading my bug report could see this discussion. Hopefully someone at Quicken will notice it, along with all the other bugs. I hope moderators aren't blocking bug reports from reaching the programmers by not designating them as "official" - that seems silly and counterproductive.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue. I have been able to successfully and reliably recreate this issue and it has been reported.

I will be back with an update as soon as more information becomes available.

An official ticket would mean an issue has officially had a ticket opened and has a ticket number assigned. We do not intentionally "block" bugs from being reported. Your Feedback is valuable to us and we want to know when things are not working properly.

At times it is possible that we need more information to proceed or an issue is being investigated and we do not yet have an update provide.  The traffic in the Community may also slow down this process.  We do our best to get as many issues as we can report. 

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • mikemcd001
    mikemcd001 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same problem in the WIN version.
    It's an issue that had occurred in the past, but had been working correctly for at least a while.... I noticed it again quite recently - - in the last 3-4 weeks.

In my case, I have future add share (co stock) transactions going out 4 years.

If it's any "help" - - the market value is incorrect *precisely* by today's market price per share times the number of future shares added for the year 2021. It doesn't include the value of shares added in 2022-2025.... *Only the 2021 shares. (And I've made some dummy entries to confirm: adding future shares in 2021 increases the balance, and removing the future add share transactions lowers the balance. Adding/removing shares in 2022 and beyond results in the expected behavior.)
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you for your patience and an official bug ticket has been opened for the Mac product for this issue.

I do not have an ETA to provide at this time, however, I will be back with an update as soon as more information becomes available.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

CTP-1760

[Edited-This is a feature not a bug]
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello all,

First, I have merged a previous thread into this existing Idea thread as this is now being tracked as a feature request.

This is currently working as designed, however, a change in the behavior of this feature to include future transactions is being considered.

I do not have an ETA to provide but this post will be updated as soon as more information becomes available.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • jacobs
    Options
    @Quicken_Tyka How can this possibly be considered working as designed? It's intentional that future transactions are included for some accounts and ignored for others when set to projected balances?
  • Bart Hickman
    Bart Hickman Member ✭✭
    Options
    I just stumbled on this bug as well. Future payments/deposits are properly excluded from the value in the account bar. However, future "add share" transactions are erroneously included. The resultant number represents nothing useful. I work around the lack of stock option tracking by adding shares in the future, but I also add payments in the future to represent the strike value of the shares so that I can easily see the net potential value of a lot. This wouldn't be a problem if Quicken for Mac explicitly supported stock options.
  • jwittkoski
    jwittkoski Member
    Options

This bug is still present in Quicken Mac 7.0.1

Very easy to reproduce:

Add Shares to an account for a date in the future

Observe:

Value of the FUTURE shares is included in "Market Value as of Today" in the account register AND in the Accounts side bar.

• jacobs
    Options

Happily, fixing this issue — putting aside the semantics of whether it's fixing a bug or implementing an enhancement request — is now marked as "Planned" at the top of this thread. Of course, like all other Planned changes, we have no idea whether it will show up next month or next year or longe; but we do know the developers have accepted the need for this to be changed, and have placed it somewhere on their development roadmap.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This cannot happen soon enough for me!