Add values of hidden investment accounts to investment graphs (11 Legacy Votes)

Snoopy FC
Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investments
I'm using QM2017, and currently the values of hidden investment accounts are not reflected in the graphs.  Please add the option to hide the investment account, but still include the account values in the graphs.  I don't want to see these accounts on that sidebar that are not currently active, but I would like to see the values of these accounts reflected in the historic information that is presented graphically.  
QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
24 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review 22 Apr 22 - QMAC-23222/CTP-5787

Comments

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I don't have any hidden investment accounts, but I know when I hide accounts there are 2 checkboxes. The first hides the account, the second removes the account from reports. Check if both boxes are checked for your hidden investment accounts. I don't know if this will make a difference for graphs, but if not you could make a request to the developers.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

I don't have any hidden investment accounts, but I know when I hide accounts there are 2 checkboxes. The first hides the account, the second removes the account from reports. Check if both boxes are checked for your hidden investment accounts. I don't know if this will make a difference for graphs, but if not you could make a request to the developers.

Unfortunately, it doesn't make a difference for the graphs.  When any investment account is hidden, it's holdings are not reflected in any of the graphs.  It would be helpful to have a checkbox in the accounts window indicating whether or not one wants this info hidden in the graphs similar to what is already available for the reports.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    You will be able to customize your graphs / reports to include 'Hidden accounts'. If you are viewing the graph, use the account filter -> Custom and click on 'Show hidden accounts'.  Similarly if you are running a report, click on Customize -> Accounts and click on 'Show hidden accounts. 
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

You will be able to customize your graphs / reports to include 'Hidden accounts'. If you are viewing the graph, use the account filter -> Custom and click on 'Show hidden accounts'.  Similarly if you are running a report, click on Customize -> Accounts and click on 'Show hidden accounts. 

Sangeetha, 

Thanks for the tips, but these don't make sense for QM2017 v4.4.3.  Here's what happens.  I'm looking at all my retirement investments in the following view.  This includes all accounts, even accounts that are technically "closed" (zero balances in the sidebar [not shown]). The following pic displays the graph under this condition: 

Now, if I go into accounts and hide just one of those closed accounts, you'll notice the difference compared with the graph below: 
    Do you see the difference when I hide just one of my investment accounts?  I'd love to hide the investment account in the left sidebar, but still see it's values reflected in the graph.  That way I could still see its impact in my portfolio, without losing screen real estate to an account with a current $0 balance.  Let me know if this doesn't make sense.  
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    In case anyone cares, this issue is still present in February 2020......
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    This idea goes along with the ability to hide closed or inactive investment accounts.  Otherwise they reside on the left sidebar reminding you that you have nothing in these accounts.  Not particularly helpful either way.  
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    The point is that currently hiding an account can hide it from both reports and will hide it from these investment graphs.  I can tell Quicken to show them in the reports, but there's no option to still include these hidden data in the investment graphs.  
  • Chris Anderson
    Chris Anderson Member ✭✭✭
    Following. We shouldn't have to unhide an account for it to show up in a historical graph.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    makes sense to have.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been asking for this for years.  
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    The issue is still present and unaddressed.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't see why this issue would be archived and tossed. Some issues like this don't inspire more comments on this forum because it's a simple ask and there's not much more to add. That doesn't mean there's a lack of interest in seeing the idea implemented.

I think Quicken Mac needs the functionality Quicken Sangeetha described being in Quicken Windows: a checkbox in the Portfolio window to show/hide hidden accounts. I say that because having hidden accounts show up just in the chart (as this thread is requesting), but not in the list of holdings as of a specific date would be misleading and inconsistent. If I tell a Portfolio window to show my holdings as of 12/31/2009, it should automatically (or optionally via a checkbox I can check) show me all my holdings as of that date, including accounts which are now closed or hidden -- in both the chart and the list of holdings. If you're looking at historical data, you generally want to see what was the case back then, not see an incomplete picture because an account that was open then is closed/hidden now.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Patrick Flaherty
    Patrick Flaherty Member ✭✭✭
    Please keep this request active. Graphs should have an easy method to include currently closed/hidden accounts based on the “as of” date without the user having to review all individual hidden accounts to figure out which ones had balances as of that date (and not set to be excluded from graphs). I haven’t used the WIN version of Quicken in a long time but I recall having that option. This functionality is not a new concept.
  • dan.greenberg.ct
    dan.greenberg.ct Member ✭✭✭
    I would also like to see this feature added. I have accounts that were moved from one brokerage to another and if I look at the default investment graph the balance shows as zero historically even though I had balances at that time. The only way to correctly reflect the balance growth is to show the account in the sidebar even though it's closed with a zero balance.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would also like to see this feature added. I have accounts that were moved from one brokerage to another and if I look at the default investment graph the balance shows as zero historically even though I had balances at that time. The only way to correctly reflect the balance growth is to show the account in the sidebar even though it's closed with a zero balance.
    That's been my issue.  It'd be great to hide these old accounts in the sidebar, but still have the data reflected in the graphs.  
  • jacobs
    In Quicken Mac, the option for hiding an account is "Hide in Lists". Quicken Help defines this as "Hidden within sidebar" and "Hidden from transaction entry lists" -- exactly what you'd want and expect when you mark and account Hide in Lists. But that's not what Quicken Mac does; it also hides these accounts from the Portfolio view. This makes to Portfolio history inaccurate and in many cases worthless if the user has moved funds from one brokerage to another -- all the history from the former brokerages is absent from the Portfolio view. If I set my portfolio to 12/31/2010, I expect it to show me my holdings and history as of that date, but it does not. Please implement a fix so the historical information can be viewed accurately.
  • dan.greenberg.ct
    dan.greenberg.ct Member ✭✭✭
    This appears to be working now in 6.3 with the new (I think) option above the accounts. Click the dots then Account Display then uncheck Show Closed Accounts. The graphs now look like they show historical balances even if the account is currently closed.
  • Patrick Flaherty
    Patrick Flaherty Member ✭✭✭
    I updated to 6.3.1 and the graph is not reflecting the value/balances of closed accounts. When I select an historic "Price and Holdings as of" date the graph only reflects holdings and balances for currently open accounts.
  • jacobs
    I agree with @Patrick Flaherty -- I can find nothing which has changed in version 6.3.x to make closed accounts show up in the Portfolio set to an "as of" date when the closed account had a value.

@dan.greenberg.ct Perhaps I'm not understanding your comment. The ••• icon in the sidebar is for settings for the sidebar; I don't know why it would affect a Portfolio -- and I don't believe it does. (Then you said "uncheck Show Closed Accounts"; why would not checking Show Closed Accounts make them appear?) 

Also, just to clarify, the setting in question here is "Hide in Lists". It's not about an account being mark closed. "Hide in Lists" is supposed to do what it says -- prevent the account from showing up in lists like the sidebar or selection lists of accounts (such as editing a report to include certain accounts). Hiding an account from lists should not make its history disappear from a portfolio -- but it does.

This is simple to demonstrate. Click on Brokerage in the left sidebar, and select the Portfolio view o the right side. Set the filters to show "Portfolio Value" and "Group by Account", as of today. You'll have a list of your one or more non-retirement accounts. Now open Accounts > Hide and Show Accounts. Pick any of the investment accounts visible in the Portfolio window and click "Hide in Lists". The account will disappear from your portfolio. It's not closed. It still has a value. It should be hidden from value lists, but it's actually now completely hidden -- subtracted from your current portfolio and your investing history shown in the graph. Uncheck "Hide in Lists", and it returns.

Where this is a true problem is when you want to look at your portfolio graph over time; if you've had accounts in the past which you have now closed and marked Hide in Lists, the entire history of those accounts is removed from the graph -- making the graph significantly wrong. Similarly, if you set the "As Of" date to some date in the past when this account was open and had value, it does not show up in the list of accounts as of that date. In short, if you want to see your correct investment history, you cannot hide any accounts. 

The developers need to fix "Hide in Lists" to not function as "hide now and from ever having existed". Perhaps there should be two different "hide" settings: one to hide from lists and one to hide completely as if it never existed.
  • TWin
    TWin Member ✭✭
    Over the years, I've changed employers, changed 401k accounts, closed brokerages, and opened new ones. Every time, I close the old account and "hide in lists" so the closed accounts don't populate my sidebar.

However, "hide in lists" also pulls the entire history out of portfolio value. When I open a new investment account by transferring funds, it appears as a large gain instead of an equal value transfer. The option to "include hidden accounts" would be helpful.
  • Hello @TWin,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.