Bucket List…

Options

Time for our November Icebreaker!

This month, we’d like to share Bucket List goals and/or activities.

One thing that’s on my bucket list is to one day sign up for volunteer travel to an elephant conservation or sanctuary. They are my favorite animal, and one day I would love to spend time helping care for them safely without being harmful to them by avoiding deceptive tourist attractions.

What’s on your bucket list? We’d love to read about it!

-Quicken Anja
Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello Hello Hello Everyone,

Welcome to a beautiful and crisp (depending on your location) November!

Honestly, at this point in time, I feel like my bucket list isn't so much fun as it is more survival. My bucket list (currently) includes being financially stable, owning a home, graduating with my PhD (I will be receiving my first college degree next month but still have a ways to go), and being the best mom that I can be.

I know my bucket list might seem too "realistic" right now, but as a struggling 24-year-old in today's economy, these are the goals that I am currently striving for. Now if you had asked me 5 or 10 years ago, my answers would have been much more exciting LOL 😂

I can't wait to hear from all of you!

I hope you all have a wonderful November as we start heading into the Holidays!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Anja, look into the Hohenwald Elephant Sanctuary, which isn't too far from where I live.

www.elephants.com

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

My goal, for 50 or so years, has been to visit all 7 continents. So far, I'm missing Africa and Antarctica … although I got Asia on a technicality (I've been to a part of Turkey that's considered to be Asia).

My best friend was even more ambitious. He wanted to visit all 7 in a single calendar year. He missed fulfilling that objective … but he DID visit all 7 in 12 consecutive months (just not the same year). Scheduling fouled him up.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2023
    Options

@NotACPA Seven continents in one year is indeed ambitious accomplishement for most people. But how about this: I know someone who participated in the World Marathon Challenge:

Run 7 full-length marathons.
    On 7 continents.
    In 7 days.

Read that again. Not even assessing the logistical challenges of traveling to 7 continents in 7 days, I just can't imagine how the human body can possibly do it.

(Oh, and the person I know who did it has Parkinson's disease.)

For the record this is NOT on my bucket list. 🤣,

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello All,

My bucket list is fairly practical. I'd like to be able to spend more time on my hobbies and have more time to volunteer, so to achieve that, I save and invest in the hopes of having enough to be able to fully retire when I reach retirement age.

I hope everyone has a wonderful November!

Quicken Kristina

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jacobs, surely those flights were charters. My friend flew commercial.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely look into it. 😊

-Quicken Anja

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I like resort islands. I have been to quite a few in Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Caribbean.

My bucket list includes visiting some islands before rising seas overtake them: the Florida Keys and Catalina.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

LOL. Tell that to all the banks and FIs that still extend mortgages and loans and finance projects on these waterfront properties or to the many climate change political proponents that buy up these properties… :-\

https://www.facebook.com/reel/2294885154053008

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

My bucket list is to visit all 30 Major League baseball stadiums (stadia?)

Also upgrade my camera to a mirrorless model + new lenses to match.

Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2023
    Options

Travel destinations on my bucket list are

Australia & New Zealand (but I'm not sure how well my back would tolerate such a long flight)
    Ireland & the UK (visited England, Scotland & Wales back in 2002 & always wanted to go back for more)
    Renting an RV & driving around Iceland
    The Trinity test site in New Mexico (I went to Oak Ridge last year & Hanford in 2019)
    Pacific and Atlantic coastlines in the RV
    Route 66 to California

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Trinity test site in New Mexico (I went to Oak Ridge last year & Hanford in 2019)

If you want to actually see the Trinity site and not just the (small) museum/white sands, then you have to go on the two days of the year that they open it to the public. For 2024 that is April 6 and October 19th.

https://home.army.mil/wsmr/index.php/contact/public-affairs-office/trinity-site-open-house

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Chris_QPW Thanks, I knew about the 2 days per year restriction, but I thought it was always the first weekend in April & October so I'll have to remember that it sometimes varies from that. I was thinking about going this upcoming April, but that date is a little too close to the 2024 eclipse & I don't think I could manage to see both. Trinity will still be there in 2025 but the next eclipse in North America is a couple decades away so the eclipse wins next year.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Some of these travel destinations are on my bucket list as well! Ireland specifically is near the top of my list since my sister lives there and has been begging for a couple of years now for my family and me to come visit. I hear it's beautiful there. 🙂

-Quicken Anja

• Jeff76
    Jeff76 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I would like to see all 50 States…I have seen 48 so far, just need to visit New Mexico and Hawaii.

Side note: I would like to donate some money to help protect endangered animals, I'm just not sure which one does the most good per donated dollar?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have found Charity Navigator helpful in evaluating charities, including how much of the funding is used for overhead vs. the charity itself.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

While I agree with the suggestion by MSHIGGINS, I'd like to plug the Hohenwald Elephant Sanctuary also.

Elephants.com

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Anja

You absolutely need to visit Ireland! I suspect your sister has told you this but the country is beautiful and the folks are wonderfully friendly and helpful.

Personally, my wife and I still need to see Iceland to complete our bucket list. No current plans, but always have the thought on our minds…

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does a stopover in Keflavik, flying on Icelandic Air from DC to Brussels, count?

That flight probably doesn't exist any more, as I took it sometime in the 1970's.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@NotACPA I also did the flights from the US to Iceland to Europe in the mid-70s; I probably spent no more than two hours on the ground in Iceland each way. They undercut the prices of the major international airlines because they could fly shorter flights by stopping and refueling at Keflavik.

I'm happy to say that Icelandair is still alive and kicking, and still flying routes to/from the US and Europe which connect in Iceland. I've flown Icelandair twice to/from Keflavik in recent years, and plan to be doing so again next summer for the start of an expedition cruse to western Greenland and northeastern Canada. Unlike the 70's, Iceland has become such a hot tourist destination that most people who fly to or through Iceland are doing so to spend some time there as part of their travels.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • afine
    afine Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I want to visit all 50 states and all the continents.