Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-quicken-mac-2007-support-policies-may-2016

Important Update (11/2017)

Quicken for Mac 2007 is not compatible with macOS High Sierra (version 10.13).  To continue using Quicken with High Siera, you will need to upgrade to a new version of Quicken. You can purchase a copy of the 2018 release of Quicken at Quicken.com

Just for completeness and for anyone that might come across this statement, that statement is not true. That is the whole point of this thread... highlighting that there are only 2 minor issues with High Sierra, automated backups with APFS formatted drives and font manipulation and positioning for cheque printing...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    HFG said:

SALE on QUICKEN 2018! Tried to sign on 2 days ago and now getting unable to open file. Finally managed to open a 6 month old file. I gave up on 2007 and purchased the 2018. I really just use for the registers. FYI, Quicken.com has a sale, I think through July 6th. Deluxe was $49.99; now $29.99. Premier was $74.99; now $44.99. I was able to transfer my data up to the lost 6 months and down load online individual accounts for the last 3 months and reconstruct the other 2-3 months manually. Decided that even with the excellent help offered here, I am not technically literate enough to apply the suggestions. The Deluxe suits my needs. Just wanted to share the sale info for others in my same boat. Again, thanks for all those who tried to help me.

Thanks smayer97 - I'll re-read since I haven't for a while, but I don't think there's anything in 2007 that I use that isn't in 2018 (although at first glance losing QuikMath is beyond annoying!). I only use it for registers and Income Statement reports.  I don't use the online banking or updating online with the bank or stocks or loans or any of those things.  But just so I am clear, I'm expecting that if I buy 2018 I would initially ask it to open a copy of my latest Quicken Data File and it will - including everything that's in it dating back to the first entry in 1993 & ALL the bank accounts in that file (except memorized reports).  Yes?  While it might look different won't those basics still be there (ie categories etc)?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    HFG said:

SALE on QUICKEN 2018! Tried to sign on 2 days ago and now getting unable to open file. Finally managed to open a 6 month old file. I gave up on 2007 and purchased the 2018. I really just use for the registers. FYI, Quicken.com has a sale, I think through July 6th. Deluxe was $49.99; now $29.99. Premier was $74.99; now $44.99. I was able to transfer my data up to the lost 6 months and down load online individual accounts for the last 3 months and reconstruct the other 2-3 months manually. Decided that even with the excellent help offered here, I am not technically literate enough to apply the suggestions. The Deluxe suits my needs. Just wanted to share the sale info for others in my same boat. Again, thanks for all those who tried to help me.

Hi Arlene, yes it transferred ALL my records back to 1998, except for my own issue with the last 6 months. I had a separate issue earlier this week where I was unable to open my file at all! I finally managed to find and open a file saved in late January. I had to use that to migrate, as I was unable to find and open a more recent file. I was just grateful I didn’t lose all that old data. Once I migrated the data I had, I went online and downloaded internet records. They only gave me the last 3 months and I decided it would be easier, at least for me, to just reenter the 2-3 month gap. I then went back and disconnected the internet downloading as I prefer to just update manually. I did have to go on each account and check to display some columns I wanted, such as memo/notes. They did not show initially, but loaded once I chose to display that column. Hope that answers your question. I did notice that the info I downloaded from the internet had different categories, but if you currently have a file up to date, I don’t expect you will have any problem. My older entries were as originally entered.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    HFG said:

Yes, all data should read in. That said, there is no true Income Statement report in QM2018 and any work-around may come close but depending on your needs may or may not be enough. 

Note you do have a 30-day money back guarantee. So you can try it and see if it works for you.

And don't forget to add your vote to any features you would want to see added back, like QuickMath and reports:  While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the  Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

I seem not to be able to get to my recent Quicken file since updating to OS Mac High Sierra (while on Quicken 2007).  Can I update to Quicken 2018 and have some hope that I can find all my recent inputting -- or do I have to re-input all my 2017 tax data???
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

Susan what do you mean by saying you can not "get" your Quicken 2007 file?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

I've been inputting tax data for the past 2 weeks into my Quicken 2007.  Each time I open it up, the data is still there (though each time I close it, it has a message saying that it can't do an automatic save).  I didn't realize I should do a separate file copy to assure I would not lose it.  Yesterday I opened Quicken 2007 and there was nothing there:  no recent file; no saved categories:  nothing.  I've looked through all my backup files under Documents and the last one was 2016.  So, all my work for the past two weeks has disappeared.  Not sure what's going on.  I upgraded to OS Mac Sierra just before I started this project of inputting my 2017 data and, yet, other than the message about no auto back up, everything was working fine until a few days ago.  I'm distraught that I'll have to go back and re-enter everything.  Also, I'm being told by Quicken Customer Support that they no longer support Quicken 2007, so they didn't have any useful solutions.  So:  where did all my work go?  And if I do buy Quicken 2018, would that help me find me data?  Or do I just give up and re-enter 10 hours' worth of data?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Options

Susan, if you can't find your data in a Quicken 2007 data file, then neither will Quicken 2018 most likely.

Let's take a step back. First, did you rebuild your database indexes in Quicken 2007? The Quicken 2007 database is subject to various forms or corruption -- many of which can be repaired by letting it rebuild its indexes. Open the Accounts window, and press Command + Option + B. After it rebuilds, does any of your missing data re-appear?

The lack of automatic saving is a well-documented issue with Quicken 2007 on a Mac running High Sierra where the hard drive has been reformatted to the new APFS Apple disk format. You should go to Preferences and turn off automatic backups; then you won't get that message any more. You just have to make sure you are manually making backups of your Quicken data file on a regular basis.

Do you have any backups of your Mac data, such as Time Machines backups to an attached drive? If not, I would encourage you in the most urgent way to implement a backup strategy as soon as possible. Backing up your data can save you from loss of man hours of work, or irreplaceable data.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

First, I suspect your data is not gone, just Quicken lost track. 

In your case, you can try this:
    In the Finder, open a new Search window by selecting File > Find (or pressing Command-F). 
    1. Click on Search This Mac
    2. Select search by "Kind is Other", then type "Quicken Data File". 
    This will find Quicken data files anywhere on your Mac, excluding in your system folders.

NOTE: once the search is created, you can save it for future use by clicking on the Save button in the Finder Search window.

Once you found the file, double-click it to open it or use the File >Open File menu within Quicken. 

Second, regarding the Automated Backup error message... this is one of the KEY problems with QM2007 and High Sierra. The problem is that High Sierra silently converts some drives (especially SSDs) to use a new drive format called APFS (vs the old Mac OS Extended a.k.a. HFS+). It appears your drive format was converted. 

The bottom line of this is that you have 2 options:
    1. Turn off automatic backups in QM2007. Then rely on manually backing up your file OR use backup software like Time Machine.
    2. create a drive or volume using the HFS+ format then store BOTH the data file AND the automatic backups to the HFS+ volume. Then the automatic backups will work.

• jacobs
    edited September 2018
    Options

I somewhat regularly encounter an account in Quicken 2007 which appears to have lost data -- weeks or years -- and all returns to normal after re-indexing.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Yes, please clarify if you are dealing with data missing IN the data file or you are missing the entire file.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi all, you have been very nice to try to help.  I did the re-indexing steps (Per Jacobs) and it went through the process.  However, when trying to open any of my Quicken files that seem to be post-High Sierra installation, I still only get a blue file folder icon with a name (filed under Quicken Back Up files under Documents).  When I click on the file it shows a subfile "Contents."  I click on that and it shows a subfile:  "Messages."  Click on that and get a blank screen.  All seem to do that.  So, I'm left with some of the Quicken back up (pre-High Sierra Installation) that at least have my data from 2016 and most of the established accounts and categories.  However, all my inputting of 2017 is gone -- and to where?  I am going to upgrade to 2018 and see if that helps at all.  And, yes, I did a proper search for files and found the files, but, as I pointed out, they've been reduced to just "Content" and "Messages" that are blank.  I doubt that having a backup elsewhere would have helped.  I think this has to do with High Sierra wiping out my beloved Quicken.  Darn.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

QM2007 can only keep a maximum of the last backups automatically. The symptom you describe is exactly what happens to automated backups... nested empty folders. If all your backups are like that, this means you have opened and closed QM2007 at least 10 times and essentially deleted any older backups that have data in them.

Your main data file should not be affected though, so the key is to track that down.

Otherwise, you need to rely on any other backups you have, such as, TIme Machine. If you do not have that, then all you have is your files with 2006 and earlier data.

BTW upgrading to QM2018 will only address the issue of automatic backups but will not solve your data issue.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

As stated elsewhere in this thread, just be aware that QM2018 is NOT an upgrade from QM2007 but a migration... QM2018 is a new Quicken for Mac product rebuilt from the ground up (built on QEM from 2010) so it still lacks features that exist in QM2007. So be sure to understand if it will meet your needs. You can read a lot more about the differences here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-or-qm2007

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options

As stated elsewhere in this thread, just be aware that QM2018 is NOT an upgrade from QM2007 but a migration... QM2018 is a new Quicken for Mac product rebuilt from the ground up (built on QEM from 2010) so it still lacks features that exist in QM2007. So be sure to understand if it will meet your needs. You can read a lot more about the differences here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-or-qm2007

• jacobs
    edited September 2018
    Options

Susan, simply upgrading to High Sierra shouldn't have affected your Quicken 2007 data file. The only known issue with Quicken 2007 on High Sierra is that the automated backups stop working. So, as @smayer97 suggests, the Quicken 2007 data file you were using should still be on your Mac somewhere. Not the backups, but the original Quicken 2007 data file -- the one you successfully entered your 2017 data into after you updated to High Sierra.

I'm confused, because you said you can't find your Quicken file, but you also said you ran the re-indexing process; was that on a pre-High Sierra backup? If so, of course it won't bring back the data you entered recently, because you said you entered that data after upgrading to High Sierra. So I'm still curious about what happened to the Quicken data file you were using. Files just don't typically vanish into thin air. Have you searched for files ending in .qdfm? (Post back if you don't know how to do this.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi Susan:  Usually by default the Quicken Backup Folder is here:

Finder:Documents:Quicken 

Or as others have suggested, go to new finder and put .qdfm in the search window for the whole.  Your Quicken file you've been working in must be there, unless you have it on an external drive that's connected.

When you quit Quicken the latest file, the backups are usually named something like "1Susan.qdfm" (or whatever name you had for your entire Quicken file that has all your accounts in it.). Hope this helps.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

Note that the .qdfm extension may or may not be part of the data file name depending on when or with which version the file was originally created... in my case it does not (I have been a Quicken for Mac user since 1992).

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Poobah17 said:

Manual backup via File->Backup to Disk successful

So far 2007 is working on High Sierra for me.  I have an older iMac with separate SSD and conventional hard drives.  The install is on the APFS SSD drive while my data files have always been on the bigger conventional hard drive.  Autosave is working and the files are readable.  Manual backups work to external drives and Time Machine.  Won't be using Mojave as computer too old for any more upgrades.  LK
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Poobah17 said:

I have the current iMac with a flash 1TB APFS formatted internal drive and an external HDD where I keep my time machine and video files ( as well as my Quicken file). I am running Mojave 10.14 . EVERYTHING WORKS! The next system upgrade will surely kill QM2007 because it will only run 64bit programs (QM2007 is 32bit and Mojave gives me a warning ever so often to update the program)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Poobah17 said:

Scott Kruer Your post should actually be posted here:
    Is Quicken for Mac 2007 Compatible with Mojave (macOS 10.14)?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    HFG said:

For people with a lot of time on their hands, I found a workaround.  I did not want to wipe the hard drive and go back to Sierra on my Macbook Pro.  I formatted a blank external SSD in HFS.  Used the current version of Carbon Copy Cloner (it has worked for me for over a decade) to clone the internal SSD to the external SSD.  The external SSD stays in HFS format.  Booted from the external SSD, partitioned and formated the internal SSD in HFS, then cloned the external drive to the internal SSD.  The internal SSD is now running High Sierra in HFS format.  Quicken 2007 works normally and autosaves.  Quicken 2017 works normally but I don't like it and rarely use it.

A lot of time I know but I am mostly retired and have been using Macs since the 80s.  I don't like the sneaky change to APFS.
  • jacobs
    edited October 2018
    Options
    HFG said:

Well... to Apple's credit, they did explain the change to APFS was coming. And it is designed to improve performance and longevity of SSD drives, so it's not like they're doing something nefarious. Considering that APFS has been in use on close to a billion iOS devices since early 2017 and on millions of Macs for the past year, and that there have been very few reports of problems, it sure seems like a very successful transition on Apple's part. The minor issue with Quicken 2007's automatic backup feature would have been quickly fixed by Quicken if it were still a supported product; I don't think I can fault Apple for this step forward.

I'm glad your approach worked; it's sound and, as you say, just time-consuming. One approach that might have been simpler than the process you used is to use Disk Utility to partition your internal drive into two partitions, and to format the second small partition as an HFS+ volume on which you could place your Quicken data file and its backups. 
This discussion has been closed.