Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

OK so let's summarize the scenarios based on user feedback: 

What DOES NOT work:
    On APFS formatted drive, Automated backups, Save A Copy and Backup to Disk.

What DOES work for backups...

On HFS+, Automated backups Save A Copy and Backup to Disk and seem to only work if BOTH the main data file AND the backups are stored on and HFS+ partition.

Works on HFS+ internal drives.
    Not clear if it works on HFS+ External drives.
    Works on HFS+ formatted Disk Image.
    Works on NTFS NAS drive (one user).

Caveat: Make sure there is enough room to store BOTH the main data file AND the number of backups set in your preferences.

If you have any other scenarios that work, or if one of these mentioned scenarios do not work for you, please list them as an attached comment here.

Other side note:
    One user ran into a problem rebuilding prices by using CMD-OPT-L...
    I am wondering if the reindexing causes problems too...CMD-OPT-B (when Account list is open). If someone can confirm this, with the above scenarios, that would be great...

REMEMBER: ALWAYS have backups before attempting anything...just in case.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

I can confirm that a backup file created on an APFS partition can be correctly opened and used; and then when quitting, the automatic backup fails.  That makes perfect sense (since both the data file and the backup location are on APFS partitions).  But it does not seem like much of a problem; the backup is still perfectly usable.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

What DOES NOT work:

On HFS+, Automated backups Save A Copy and Backup to Disk and seem to only work if BOTH the main data file AND the backups are stored on and HFS+ partition.

Caveat: Make sure there is enough room to store BOTH the main data file AND the number of backups set in your preferences.

If you have any other scenarios that work, or if one of these mentioned scenarios do not work for you, please list them as an attached comment here.

Other side note:
    I am wondering if the reindexing causes problems too...CMD-OPT-B (when Account list is open). If someone can confirm this, with the above scenarios, that would be great...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

So - - I went to the Apple Store this afternoon with my laptop and external HD and it was suggested to me that I would be better off to go back to Sierra. I was told that if I added a partition, I would need to go back and forth from the partition every time I went off of Quicken and on to other things, as in email, etc. He thought that would be a real pain. Since my main concern is my 2007 Quicken for my work, I don't think I will keep with the High Sierra unless I read down the road that the glitch is worked out (I know not likely since Quicken doesn't seem to be concerned about this version any longer.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

Reverting from High Sierra to Sierra seems like a major hassle, compared to just disabling automatic backups in Quicken Preferences.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    pbuck said:

This issue appears to be automatic backup to new filesystem (APFS). Automatic backups are compressed and APFS does not support the compression scheme requested by Quicken 2007. Console log reports:

Quicken 2007[3148]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
    Automatic backups to non APFS filesystems have a similar error.

When you manually backup to disk, it does not appear to attempt the same compression & therefore does not issue an error.
    I am posting this again so it is in the proper thread - -

So - - I went to the Apple Store this afternoon with my laptop and external HD and it was suggested to me that I would be better off to go back to Sierra. I was told that if I added a partition, I would need to go back and forth from the partition every time I went off of Quicken and on to other things, as in email, etc. He thought that would be a real pain. Since my main concern is my 2007 Quicken for my work, I don't think I will keep with the High Sierra unless I read down the road that the glitch is worked out (I know not likely since Quicken doesn't seem to be concerned about this version any longer.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    tmplee said:

I don't remember if I tried this exact scenario before or reported it; so if this ends up being a duplicate someone can feel free to delete it.  I tried creating an HFS+ formatted disc image, putting the quicken data file on that, and selecting it for backup.  Auto backup did NOT work with that scenario.  I don't care enough about auto backup to bother with repartitioning my drive; I use Time Machine for my backups anyway, although of course if there's reason to track something down in the last few days it's easier to get to it in the Quicken backup set than through Time Machine.

My guess is the disk image itself is a file on your main APFS formatted drive; perhaps that explains the difference in the results we observed.
  • Rod Everett
    Rod Everett Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

Just to clarify, the HFS+ partition is only used for the data and backup location.  It is not a full install of the Mac OS.  There is no "moving back and forth" needed, just a different place to save the file to/from.  The Quicken 2007 application is still in the Applications folder on the main partition that is APFS for systems with solid state drives (SSDs).
  • Rod Everett
    Rod Everett Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    pbuck said:

This issue appears to be automatic backup to new filesystem (APFS). Automatic backups are compressed and APFS does not support the compression scheme requested by Quicken 2007. Console log reports:

Quicken 2007[3148]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8

When you manually backup to disk, it does not appear to attempt the same compression & therefore does not issue an error.
    Just to clarify, the HFS+ partition is only used for the data and backup
    location.  It is not a full install of the Mac OS.  There is no "moving
    back and forth" needed, just a different place to save the file
    to/from.  The Quicken 2007 application is still in the Applications
    folder on the main partition that is APFS for systems with solid state
    drives (SSDs).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

It actually isn't too difficult since I just made the High Sierra update on Friday evening and have all my previous data on my Time Machine external HD. I have always found Apple to give me great support. They started the process for me while I was in the store. They also set up for someone to call me at a certain time this evening to complete the last part of the process.
    I'm not sure, but I don't think I will be missing anything by not having High Sierra.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

Rod - - reading your note sounds different from what the Apple person told me. I will ask again when they call me this evening. The partition is something I am totally unfamiliar with so I'm relying totally on the expertise/experience of others. (That becomes complicated when getting different messages.)
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

It sounds to me like the Apple support guy didn’t understand what you are trying to do. As Rod said you are not trying to switch between Sierra and High Sierra — you just want a chunk of disk formatted in HFS+ where you can put some files.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

I agree - - from what you're saying it sounds like he didn't understand (or maybe I didn't explain it properly because I didn't really understand).

They are calling me this evening at 9:45 EST so I will discuss this again. At this point - - what are the benefits to High Sierra??
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    tmplee said:

I don't remember if I tried this exact scenario before or reported it; so if this ends up being a duplicate someone can feel free to delete it.  I tried creating an HFS+ formatted disc image, putting the quicken data file on that, and selecting it for backup.  Auto backup did NOT work with that scenario.  I don't care enough about auto backup to bother with repartitioning my drive; I use Time Machine for my backups anyway, although of course if there's reason to track something down in the last few days it's easier to get to it in the Quicken backup set than through Time Machine.

Oh, of course the disk image is an APFS file, but once it is opened I don't see how the HFS+ file in it is handled any differently from an external HFS+ drive or an HFS+ partition!  But obviously it is.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

@NanB he did not understand...all you need is to create a HFS+ partition to STORE your data file...NOT to create the partition to BOOT from...

The idea is that you should always be booting with High Sierra and QM2007 would access your data file STORED on the HFS+ partition. Again, all this is only necessary if you absolutely want the Automated Backup with Quicken. Time Machine is still a good fallback and avoids creating the HFS+ partition; so is manual backups on top of that.

Just keep in mind that going back to Sierra will require a complete reformat of your drive...so the steps are:
    1. backup your existing setup (if you do not already have a backup
    2. reformat your drive to both convert it back to HFS+ AND install Sierra...this will cause ALL data to be erased
    3. restore everything from the backup (you want to make sure you have a rock solid backup or risk losing it all).

HTH

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    tmplee said:

Did you make sure there was enough space in the disk image for both the data file and the backups? 
    Was the disk image formatted as a fixed size or a sparsed disk image? If the latter, then the disk image has to be resized dynamically on the APFS drive format. 

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

It would be good for someone to confirm that troubleshooting functions still work:
    • file re-indexing (CMD-OPT-B with the Account List open) 
    • repair ALL registers (CMD-OPT-L with the Portfolio window open) - also resets to FIFO method 
    • repair single register CMD-OPT-L in Brokerage Register Window - also resets to FIFO method
    • Rebuild Prices (based on transactions) -  CMD-OPT-U in Portfolio Window (had defined the wrong one above for this feature)
    These are used to resolve lots of data file "corruption" or anomalies (the first being the most common).

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    All this feedback is great....

so it seems the direction this is all pointing is that it all depends on where the main data file is saved. So it now seems that as long as the data file resides on an HFS+ partition, both internal or external, the automated backups work and CAN be stored anywhere, both on HFS+ and APFS.

(the above seems to apply to an NTFS partition too).

But any data file that resides on an APFS drive will cause problems when the Automated Backup triggers. 

The good news also is that backups (e.g. Time Machine) work just fine, under the same caveats.

The one exception seems to be the use of an HFS+ disk image...but I think more info is needed on this one before being conclusive.

Again, if you have any experience that differs from this conclusion, please update here.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    pbuck said:

Exactly...

@NanB also it is most definitely unlikely that either Apple nor Quicken will address this. 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

Unfortunately, the Apple rep. not understanding what I needed did lead me to bring back my computer to Sierra. That has been completed and (I believe) Time Machine has put back all my Quicken data as it was previously. I suppose I can still go back and install High Sierra with the partition, but I'm not sure what I would gain. My main purpose of my computer is my Quicken and emails. I'm don't use it for much of anything else.

However, I'm very open to suggestions if for any reason you think I would be wise to install High Sierra.

Once again  - - thanks for all your help and info.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

If you have successfully made the move back to Sierra, I see no major reason to move to High Sierra, at least for now. :-)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    Options

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

Nan, from your descriptions of your computer use, I definitely think you should stick with Sierra for now; there's no compelling reason to rock the boat. (I have two Macs at home, and manage an office of 70+ Macs, all of which are still on Sierra.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

Thanks for your advice. I'll stay put for now and keep watching the posts. What a great resource this community has been. (Not the first time you've bailed me out!)
  • debra gorden
    debra gorden Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

Now i need help!!!  I don't know if I've been saving the 2007 Q file correctly doing a manual backup.  But i renamed the file (tried with and without the .qdfm extension) and today ..  the file opens.. but when I try to do my download from the bank - the program crashes.  It will rebuild the index and headers if I try to open the file again.. but immediately crashes if I go to download.  I am getting error messages.. will paste below.  I am sure it has something to do with how I am naming the file.. where I am saving it..  THere are so many folders now.. i had just turned off automatic backup.  Can someone help me...  ?  How should the file be named?  and exactly where it should be placed.  It was working fine until yesterday -- even with this file I renamed Dec5 - ...   thank you very much ...  
  • debra gorden
    debra gorden Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

quick update.. i was able to open an earlier file and download all my transactions .. again.  (I didn't think that you were able to do that ???).  But in any case, I am up and running again.  Can someone tell me where that data file should be saved?  and exact steps to save it?  does it need to be within a quicken folder that has the subfolders of messages, content.. etc?  Or do you just save the data file itself .. anywhere??  I think I have been saving the data file incorrectly.  thanks again
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

No restrictions to where...other than caveats for the context of this discussion thread (APFS vs HFS+ drive) BUT be aware that file names cannot exceed 32 chars total for QM2007 or for QFX downloaded files. Either one can cause anomalies and/or crashes.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I have found success by putting the application and data files on a usb drive plugged into the back of my Mac. As long as the files are saved to the drive I have had no crashes. Everything works as normal.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

so it seems the direction this is all pointing is that it all depends on where the main data file is saved. So it now seems that as long as the data file resides on an HFS+ partition, both internal or external, the automated backups work and CAN be stored anywhere, both on HFS+ and APFS.

But any data file that resides on an APFS drive will cause problems when the Automated Backup triggers. 

The good news also is that backups (e.g. Time Machine) work just fine, under the same caveats.

The one exception seems to be the use of an HFS+ disk image...but I think more info is needed on this one before being conclusive.

Again, if you have any experience that differs from this conclusion, please update here.

P.S. Also, QM007 can reside anywhere, either on an APFS or a HFS+ partition and does not need to be located where the main data file is stored.

• Charlie Catania
    Charlie Catania Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Todd said:

Mac OS 10.13 seems to work with Quicken 2007 16.2.4, HOWEVER check printing preference settings may need to be adjusted. I print on voucher checks, and the numerical amount field was not printing the cents digit after the Mac OS upgrade. I managed to fix the problem by changing the Amount Width setting to 10. This setting can be found at: (Quicken) Preferences... > Print Checks > Positioning > Amount Width.  Since the OS upgrade, the check printing font had somehow changed to American Typewriter from my previous font, Helvetica. I was able to change it back.

I would not be surprised if there are similar printing issues when printing reports.

I also use voucher checks and besides leaving off the as digit on on cents the font size became bigger only in the numerical block, however, in my situation, I was unable to remedy the situation by adjusting the numerical amount field.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks for this thread. I can also confirm that Automatic Backups work in the following setup: QM007 app resides on APFS formatted SSD running High Sierra. Data file resides on HFS+ internal drive, as do backups. (Both drives backed up by Time Machine, and Backblaze). 

You all have been a great source of help. Much appreciated.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

ywc

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I have found success by putting the application and data files on a usb drive plugged into the back of my Mac. As long as the files are saved to the drive I have had no crashes. Everything works as normal.

Since Quicken is saying it's incompatible with High Sierra, are they offering a solution that isn't subscription and cloud based? I looked and it seems not... 
    If they aren't offering us QM2007 an update path, what other accounting program that is not cloud based can I move to? I've been web searching and I am very confused...
    Thanks in advance
This discussion has been closed.