Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Just installed High Sierra yesterday and now I can't do automatic backups or save a copy.  Manual backup, even with running from HFS+ drive says "Unable to erase partly-nual backups copied files" during save a copy.  Was able to do manual backup running from HFS+ drive not my SSD with the APFS file system.
       Looking at moving to Quicken Mac 2017 but previous releases beyond 2007 really sucked.

Link fixed...  :-)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• debra gorden
    debra gorden Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

Just installed High Sierra yesterday and now I can't do automatic backups or save a copy.  Manual backup, even with running from HFS+ drive says "Unable to erase partly-nual backups copied files" during save a copy.  Was able to do manual backup running from HFS+ drive not my SSD with the APFS file system.
       Looking at moving to Quicken Mac 2017 but previous releases beyond 2007 really sucked.

ok - really dumb question... but where exactly and how do I find my quicken file?? 
    My backup worked when I  moved to sierra 10.13 -- but it stopped working after recent upgrade to 10.13 1.    
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

If you have never moved it, the default used to be in the Documents folder. Another way is to seach for the file name...If you do not remember it, simply open the Accounts window under the List menu; the title of the window contains the name of your data file.

Short of that, look at this FAQ for more tips (written more for QM2015+ but some are still helpful).

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• debra gorden
    debra gorden Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

well - i have plenty of folders with no data files in them...  i think those are the empty folders created while Q tried to do a backup?
    I guess i never paid much attention before..  but i am not certain which data file I should be manually backing up.  ANy suggestions welcome.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017

Debra, Open Quicken and make any small change in your data then quit and note the exact date/time. Then using the advise from smayer97 above, search for your file. When you find it, check the last modified timestamp (Finder menu File > Get Info). If it matches when you quit, then you can be confident you've got the right one. To be totally sure, double click that file itself to launch it in Quicken and see if the small change you just made is there.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    What are the steps to doing a manual backup? Under "file" I only see "Backup To Disc", "Restore From Disc" or "Save A Copy".
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    jacobs said:

Also remember that one can make a manual backup in the Finder simply by clicking on the data file and doing Command-D (Duplicate). I generally do this periodically after quitting Quicken, rather than "Save A Copy" within the program. I rename the copied file to include the date I backed it up (e.g. "Finances 2017-10-06") and keep them in a folder of backups. Having more backups than the automated ones from Quicken has bailed me out a few times that Quicken 2007 has corrupted and lost some data which I haven't discovered until many months after the fact (and after Quicken's automatic backups would have been replaced). All of us who still use Quicken 2007 know we're on borrowed time, so the more backups, the safer I feel! (And yes, I do this in addition to my Time Machine backups and periodic whole disk backups. One dead hard drive, and a failure of a backup to restore properly, will convince one to do multiple layers of backup.)

Two questions - -

Can we just right click on each data file and hit duplicate?

I have not backed up to my external HD since I made the mistake of upgrading to High Sierra for fear I would contaminate the Quicken files on the HD. Would you have a suggestion?

Thanks for the great info.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    pbuck said:

This issue appears to be automatic backup to new filesystem (APFS). Automatic backups are compressed and APFS does not support the compression scheme requested by Quicken 2007. Console log reports:

Quicken 2007[3148]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
    Automatic backups to non APFS filesystems have a similar error.

When you manually backup to disk, it does not appear to attempt the same compression & therefore does not issue an error.
    Best explanation yet.  It will be a miracle if someone finds a work around, or Intuit (or Apple) issues a fix.  I am annoyed with Apple for dropping the support.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    jacobs said:

Also remember that one can make a manual backup in the Finder simply by clicking on the data file and doing Command-D (Duplicate). I generally do this periodically after quitting Quicken, rather than "Save A Copy" within the program. I rename the copied file to include the date I backed it up (e.g. "Finances 2017-10-06") and keep them in a folder of backups. Having more backups than the automated ones from Quicken has bailed me out a few times that Quicken 2007 has corrupted and lost some data which I haven't discovered until many months after the fact (and after Quicken's automatic backups would have been replaced). All of us who still use Quicken 2007 know we're on borrowed time, so the more backups, the safer I feel! (And yes, I do this in addition to my Time Machine backups and periodic whole disk backups. One dead hard drive, and a failure of a backup to restore properly, will convince one to do multiple layers of backup.)

Yes you can simply duplicate the data file in the Finder...and it would be best to quit Quicken before you do that.

I am unclear about your second question...please clarify.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    pbuck said:

This issue appears to be automatic backup to new filesystem (APFS). Automatic backups are compressed and APFS does not support the compression scheme requested by Quicken 2007. Console log reports:

Quicken 2007[3148]: /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8

When you manually backup to disk, it does not appear to attempt the same compression & therefore does not issue an error.
    There are 2 work-arounds...either perform manual backups or create an HFS+ partition and point your preferences to save your backups there. Otherwise you have to rely on other backup solutions like Time Machine.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    pbuck said:

Does using an HFS+ partition work?  I tried doing it with an HFS+ formatted virtual disk and that didn't work.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    jacobs said:

I routinely back up my computer to my "WD My Passport" external HD. Would you continue backing up these Quicken files there or will they end up as blank folders just as the automatic backup does on the computer now.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    pbuck said:

According to these users from this segment of discussion on this thread, it appears to work only when the main data file is also located on/in the HFS+ partition. YMMV.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    pbuck said:

I don't really understand the HFS+ partition piece.
    I do have an appointment tomorrow at Apple. I am thinking it may be best if I can uninstall the High Sierra. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    OK so let's summarize the scenarios based on user feedback: 

What DOES NOT work:
    On APFS formatted drive, Automated backups, Save A Copy and Backup to Disk.

What DOES work for backups...

On HFS+, Automated backups Save A Copy and Backup to Disk and seem to only work if BOTH the main data file AND the backups are stored on and HFS+ partition.

Works on HFS+ internal drives.
    Not clear if it works on HFS+ External drives.
    Works on HFS+ formatted Disk Image.
    Works on NTFS NAS drive (one user).

Caveat: Make sure there is enough room to store BOTH the main data file AND the number of backups set in your preferences.

If you have any other scenarios that work, or if one of these mentioned scenarios do not work for you, please list them as an attached comment here.

Other side note:
    One user ran into a problem rebuilding prices by using CMD-OPT-L...
    I am wondering if the reindexing causes problems too...CMD-OPT-B (when Account list is open). If someone can confirm this, with the above scenarios, that would be great...

REMEMBER: ALWAYS have backups before attempting anything...just in case.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    pbuck said:

For your benefit, and others, APFS is the new format for drives that Apple created. The old format is called HFS+. When upgrading to High Sierra, Apple converts drives that qualify to APFS (not all drives are automatically converted). It seems in your case, your drive did get converted.

Creating a partition is a bit technical but very easy to do...all that means is dividing up your drive into 2 (or more) areas, where one can be one format, currently the APFS format, and one can be made into the old HFS+ format. 

Removing High Sierra will be quite onerous, especially since your drive was converted to APFS because not only are you reinstalling an old macOS, the old macOS does not work with APFS. To go from HFS+ to APFS was rather seamless but going from APFS back to HFS+ requires that your whole drive has to be reformatted. This also would mean that you would need a backup of your drive if you want to preserve what is already there. If you have that, then take it with you...but this is a lengthy process.

At this point, it might simply be far easier to just create an HFS+ partition to house your QM2007 data. Apple may be able to do that for you...it is very easy. If you go this route, just be sure to make that partition large enough to hold BOTH your main data file AND the number of backups you plan to hold on there (the max QM2007 allows is 10). If you want the max, you will need 11 times the size of your data file plus enough buffer room to allow for some growth (again times 11). 

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    NanB said:

What are the steps to doing a manual backup? Under "file" I only see "Backup To Disc", "Restore From Disc" or "Save A Copy".

You can simply quit Quicken and duplicate your data file in the Finder.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    pbuck said:

I will bring this info to my Apple appointment this afternoon and hope they will help me set up the HFS+ partition. (Although you say it is easy, I'd rather they walk me through it "live".)

One other question - - does this mean there is no need to backup my Quicken files to my external HD? Will they backup as empty folders because the original data file is living on my computer?

I will report back after my Apple appointment.

Thanks to you and the "community" for sharing your experiences and expertise.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    pbuck said:

Just a thought... you should have your entire hard drive backed up to an external drive to protect against hard drive failure. It will happen, eventually. Time Machine is an easy way to do that.

Which brings up a question for all you QM07 users... has anyone tried to restore a QM07 data file from a Time Machine backup in High Sierra to make sure it's not adversely affected? I don't know why it should be so affected, but probably worth testing.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

What about Mac 10.11.6?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

QM2007 LC (v16.1.x and higher) will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.13 High Sierra, with the exceptions mentioned here. 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    pbuck said:

@NanB just remember that the simplest work-around with QM2007 and High Sierra is to not use Automated Backup and simply do manual backups, that is Finder Duplicate, though maybe not ideal.

• tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I don't remember if I tried this exact scenario before or reported it; so if this ends up being a duplicate someone can feel free to delete it.  I tried creating an HFS+ formatted disc image, putting the quicken data file on that, and selecting it for backup.  Auto backup did NOT work with that scenario.  I don't care enough about auto backup to bother with repartitioning my drive; I use Time Machine for my backups anyway, although of course if there's reason to track something down in the last few days it's easier to get to it in the Quicken backup set than through Time Machine.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

What DOES NOT work:

On HFS+, Automated backups Save A Copy and Backup to Disk and seem to only work if BOTH the main data file AND the backups are stored on and HFS+ partition.

Caveat: Make sure there is enough room to store BOTH the main data file AND the number of backups set in your preferences.

If you have any other scenarios that work, or if one of these mentioned scenarios do not work for you, please list them as an attached comment here.

Other side note:
    I am wondering if the reindexing causes problems too...CMD-OPT-B (when Account list is open). If someone can confirm this, with the above scenarios, that would be great...

Reviewing the comments, it is not clear that APFS or HFS+ is relevant; automatic backups fail regardless of the drive format if the OS is 10.13.1.  One (slightly lame) work around is to use Preferences -> File Backup and disable automatic backup.
    Then rely on Time Machine for backups (I just confirmed a 1-year old Quicken data file can be restored using Time Machine and correctly opened by Quicken).
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

I thought I saw several people say that if you create an HFS+ PARTITION and have both the data file and the backup file on that, Quicken’s auto backup will work. I thought I also saw if you had a hard drive that was not automatically reformatted to APFS when you installed High Sierra things were OK.
  • Rod Everett
    Rod Everett Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

My experience so far is that as long as the data file is on an HFS+ formatted drive or partition, Quicken 2007 is working with Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1.  It also works best to move the automatic backup location to the HFS+ drive/partition.

I have it running on an iMac with a 3TB Fusion drive that was not converted to APFS with the update to High Sierra and on a MacBook Pro with a 750GB SSD that was converted to APFS during the upgrade.  After the upgrade I created an HFS+ partition on the MacBook Pro SSD and it is working.
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

‘Tis really subtle that it works on an HFS+ partition and not on an HFS+ disc image!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

Correction:  I just did some thorough testing using OSX 10.13.1, an APFS main drive, and an external (USB) HFS+ drive.  With the Quicken Data file on the HFS+ formatted drive, automatic backup works (regardless of the backup location).  With the data file on the APFS (regardless of the backup location), automatic backup fails (as many have reported).  So another work around is to keep the date file on a USB attached HFS+ formatted thumb drive.  But I could not get disk utility to give me an option to format a thumb drive as HFS+; this might require an older version of disk utility.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

Note:  my test results differ from the comments of smayer97 summary.
  • Rod Everett
    Rod Everett Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

What DOES NOT work:

Other side note:

While the automatic backups will work to the APFS drive, if you ever need to open the backup file while it is on the APFS drive then the automatic backup of it will fail.  That is why it is being suggested to also move the backup folder to the HFS+ partition.
This discussion has been closed.