Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Another user has reported QM2007 is fine...see here. It appears he is using HFS+, but no confirmation yet if automated backups are working for him.

?? The Internal error prevents any file even on time machine from opening. Error message comes up merely trying to Open leaving the Toolbar in Grey.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Thank you so much!

Good news: I have used the zip instructions and have Q2007 working on my Macbook.  Bad news:  It's been more than 60 days since I purchased Q2017 for Mac.  Live and Learn.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Another user has reported QM2007 is fine...see here. It appears he is using HFS+, but no confirmation yet if automated backups are working for him.

Sorry didn’t update... I finally found a copy from 2016 that opened. That reset accounts and ledgers etc. and then ALL the others opened.  NOW I am using the DUPLICATE command and re labeling and copying to back up.
    PS My One TB TimeMachine backup has been too small to make a backup for years. We just ordered a 2TB one, so now I will have a HARD back up again. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

As just downloading the HighSierra apparently converted my drive to APFS, and I have no other (they were too small to back up a TimeMachine copy)
    ..Quicken works fine but must use DUPLICATE from Finder to make a copy every time (I actually make two and have them in different document files as once I actually trashed my only Quicken file... Live and Learn) 
  • Rod Everett
    Rod Everett Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    In the early stages of confirming, but I was able to get Quicken 2007 to work on High Sierra by creating a HFS+ / Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition on the MacBook Pro.  After created the partition I needed to restart before I could access it.  Doesn't need to be very big.

At first I tried to back up to that partition but it failed.  When I moved the actual data file to the HFS+ partition, it appears to be working correctly including automatic backups, even if the backups are on the APFS partition.
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    When you did this, where did the Quicken app file live?  In the normal, now APFS, Application folder, or on the HFS+ partition?  Has anyone tried using an HFS+ formatted virtual disk in such a scenario, rather than an actual partition?  (I could, but I'm lazy.)
  • Rod Everett
    Rod Everett Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I did not move the Quicken app file, it is still in the Applications folder on the main (APFS) partition.  Creating the partition with Disk Utility was very easy, no impact on the existing partition (other than a tiny bit smaller) and then I added the HFS+ partition to my backup software.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

I did not move the Quicken app file, it is still in the Applications folder on the main (APFS) partition.  Creating the partition with Disk Utility was very easy, no impact on the existing partition (other than a tiny bit smaller) and then I added the HFS+ partition to my backup software.

Helpful...thx for sharing a good idea  :-)

Not sure why you had to restart to access a new partition though.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    tmplee said:

When you did this, where did the Quicken app file live?  In the normal, now APFS, Application folder, or on the HFS+ partition?  Has anyone tried using an HFS+ formatted virtual disk in such a scenario, rather than an actual partition?  (I could, but I'm lazy.)

Now that sounds like a good idea...In fact, you can take this idea even further to encrypt it so now you can add protection...a great idea for storing online...

I cannot test this (do not have the setup yet)...would be nice for someone to report back on these ideas...

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I tried this. Leaving Quicken App on main partition and backing up to small partition created as HFS++. Restarted and moved data file to smaller and tried leaving it on main. It only works once then goes back to "unable to backup". Any suggestions. I can manually back up.
  • Mike_jMGS
    Mike_jMGS Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Just installed High Sierra yesterday and now I can't do automatic backups or save a copy.  Manual backup, even with running from HFS+ drive says "Unable to erase partly-nual backups copied files" during save a copy.  Was able to do manual backup running from HFS+ drive not my SSD with the APFS file system.
       Looking at moving to Quicken Mac 2017 but previous releases beyond 2007 really sucked.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-quicken-mac-2007-support-policies-may-2016

Important Update (11/2017)

Quicken for Mac 2007 is not compatible with macOS High Sierra (version 10.13).  To continue using Quicken with High Siera, you will need to upgrade to a new version of Quicken. You can purchase a copy of the 2018 release of Quicken at Quicken.com

Converting your Quicken for Mac 2007 file:

Quicken for Mac products older than 2007 are not supported for conversion; however, if you have a data file from an older version of Quicken for Mac, you can attempt to convert the file to the latest Mac version.  

1. Install the latest version of Quicken for Mac
    2. Select the Start from a Quicken Mac 2007 file option, even if your file is from a version that's older than 2007.  

​See the "Start from an existing Quicken 2007 file" section in this FAQ for more information about converting to a new version of Quicken for Mac. ​

• Mike_jMGS
    Mike_jMGS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    https://www.quicken.com/support/update-quicken-mac-2007-support-policies-may-2016

Important Update (11/2017)

Quicken for Mac 2007 is not compatible with macOS High Sierra (version 10.13).  To continue using Quicken with High Siera, you will need to upgrade to a new version of Quicken. You can purchase a copy of the 2018 release of Quicken at Quicken.com

• tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Umm, I thought the only incompatibility with High Sierra that has been discovered is the automatic backup feature — hardly a reason for recommending a switch to a version that appears to be lacking enough features that are in QM 2007 that many of those who would switch will be much more inconvenienced (or worse) by the missing features than by having to work around the lack of the backup feature.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Ok, fixed my problem. I originally sized my hfs partition to a backup(48mb) that was on a NTFS NAS drive. So I made it 250mb. Good for 3 backups, plus original data file. What I didn't realize when I put that file on my mac it went up to 65mb and backups were 95mb.(Don't know why,Don't care) So after I raised the size of the HFS to 500mb it works. I also had to remove original data file and start Quicken(so it doesn't find a data file). Then restore directly to HFS partition from the backup on my NAS drive. Nothing would work from APFS partition. If i tried to move data file from APFS to HFS partition it would open but not backup. FYI, I do manual backups to NAS drive. Lost data once, never again. Thanks Rod.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Ok, fixed my problem. I originally sized my hfs partition to a backup(48mb) that was on a NTFS NAS drive. So I made it 250mb. Good for 3 backups, plus original data file. What I didn't realize when I put that file on my mac it went up to 65mb and backups were 95mb.(Don't know why,Don't care) So after I raised the size of the HFS to 500mb it works. I also had to remove original data file and start Quicken(so it doesn't find a data file). Then restore directly to HFS partition from the backup on my NAS drive. Nothing would work from APFS partition. If i tried to move data file from APFS to HFS partition it would open but not backup. FYI, I do manual backups to NAS drive. Lost data once, never again. Thanks Rod.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

Just installed High Sierra yesterday and now I can't do automatic backups or save a copy.  Manual backup, even with running from HFS+ drive says "Unable to erase partly-nual backups copied files" during save a copy.  Was able to do manual backup running from HFS+ drive not my SSD with the APFS file system.
       Looking at moving to Quicken Mac 2017 but previous releases beyond 2007 really sucked.

Just noticed that Quicken updated their official statement. Not sure why given the that as per other posts here, others have been successful at running QM2007 on High Sierra.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Mac OS High Sierra changed my HFS format to APFS unknown to me prior and now although Quicken 2007 runs ok as far as I am now aware, it WILL NOT PERFORM ANY BACKUPS!  
    To further add to the "insult" Quicken has REFUSED to support it now.  I explored and purchased Mac Quicken 2016.  It is CRAP in my opinion and I have refused to use it.  It is so far BELOW the capabilities of 2007 it is unbelievable.  I have been using Quicken since 1994 and the current Quicken company has NOT given a damn about the MAC community.  I do all sorts of Financial transactions in including investments, am not interested in most of the other features they try to promote which are not of interest or useful.  EXTREMELY DISGUSTED WITH THIS CURRENT COMPANY!
    Additionally, each time they release and update, ONE HAS TO BUY IT.   NO INCLUDED OR FREE UPGRADES!  DISPICABLE.!
  • debra gorden
    debra gorden Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

i just updated to 10.13.1 (I have a macbook air with APFS) and Quicken wouldn't automatically save a backup.  I was able to save with the File/Backup to Disk... however.  
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options

Debra, the inability to auto-backup with High Sierra and an APFS-formatted drive has been confirmed by many users. In terms of making backups, also remember that you can simply quit Quicken and duplicate your data file in the Finder.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • debra gorden
    debra gorden Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

will there be a Quicken update to address this?  Would you know?
  • debra gorden
    debra gorden Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Also - automatic backups of Q2007 files was working fine with 10.13 -- this only happened to me when I just updated to 10.13.1...    is that in line with everyone else's experience?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Unfortunately, since QM2007 is no longer a supported product, there will not be any updates.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

Interesting note about 10.13 vs 10.13.1. It would be interesting to get feedback from others.

• jacobs
    edited November 2017
    Options

Debra, no, there will be no further updates to Quicken 2007. It is discontinued software which the company no longer supports.

They have been clear in saying to users over the past two years that Quicken 2007 will at some point break due to some Apple update, and after years of patches to keep it running, they will no longer resuscitate it. They are putting all their software development time and effort into adding functionality to the current Quicken.

People who are still using Quicken 2007, and who have evaluated Quicken 2018 and found it does not yet meet their needs, should take steps to insure their Mac can continue to run Quicken 2007 until the modern Quicken adds the functionality they find currently lacking. The easiest way to do this is to stick with macOS Sierra (or earlier) and not upgrade to High Sierra. (For many users, the changes in High Sierra are negligible.) Alternatively, as discussed in this thread, it appears that running Quicken on a hard drive which has not been reformatted to Apple's new APFS format is likely to work fine. And many users have reported that even on an APFS drive, Quicken 2017 still runs okay with the loss of automatic backups.
  • debra gorden
    debra gorden Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

Yes - I'm aware of that - been using Q2007 since it came out.  Tried to update this year to Q2017 - but hated it.  And went back to 07. For me, the issue of the auto backup just started -- it was working fine on 10.13.   I just updated to 10.13.1  about 2 days ago - and that's when auto backup failed.
  • jacobs
    edited November 2017
    Options

Well, other users reported the backup issue as soon as High Sierra came out. (Perhaps your disk wasn't converted to APFS until you installed the 10.13.1 update?) In any case, your question was whether there would be an update to Quicken 2007, and the answer is that the company has said definitively that there will not be additional updates to Quicken 2007.

Because I still use Quicken 2007, I am not updating my iMac to High Sierra for the foreseeable future.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

AM NOW ON HIGH SIERRA. MAKE ALL MY 2007 QUICKEN BACKUPS MANUALLY. I GO TO WHERE MY QUICKEN 2007 FILE IS LOCATED, MAKE A DUPLICATE AND RENAME THE COPY. BETTER THEN GOING TO QM2017
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options

Now if you only had a computer without a broken caps lock key!
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

@smayer97: Thanks for the helpful comments throughout this discussion (liked!). The post above (which you refer to a few times) has a bad link:  the link to " List of Obstacles and Hindrances..." links to Quicken's page on lack of compatibility. A web search led me to another GetSatisfaction thread:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/obstacles-and-hindrances-for-migrating-from-qm2007-or-qwin-to-quicken-for-mac. If you can edit the link in your post, it might help others find this.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

YWC...and thanks for pointing that out; not sure how that happened ...I'll get it fixed. Thx.

This discussion has been closed.