Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

It seems to me we've had multiple people post here since the Quicken 2007 discontinuation became official last fall that no amount of asking or begging has been able to get Quicken to give out that software. It may be they just don't want to, but they clearly do with Windows users to help them upgrade to the current version; I wonder if it might have to do with whatever licensing deal they had for the software that somehow enabled the LC version to function with the absence of Rosetta in the operating system. (Which, as you recall, required them to do some goofy things, like charge for it, not advertise or promote the web page it could be ordered from, etc.) In any case, I think it's time to stop suggesting to users that they contact Quicken to try to obtain it, because we've tried that with a bunch of users who have run into a brick wall.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Thank you!!! I am beyond grateful for your generous expertise. I will look at the update, I have the Mac version 16.0-R1. I do run a balance report from the previous year to see if the files are okay before I copy the file to an external g drive. I do that every day I use the program.

I did call tech support hoping I might find a sympathetic ear, but that didn't work.

What happened in the transfer to the 2018 program was 45 transactions got marked as imported orphan transfer...."because they were originally transfers but could not be matched." So a few accounts were off by not a whole lot from transactions over 8 years ago. I could do balance adjustment to move forward, but it still wouldn't be the same program that could pull up payroll reports etc.

I am hopeful this will work, thank you, which is far better than drowning in dread.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 Quicken Mac Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

... that no amount of asking or begging has been able to get Quicken to give out that software. 
    Actually, that is not quite accurate...First, the key is that a user MUST HAVE a new version of QMac to even qualify. They will definitely NOT give it out just like that.

Second, I do not recall the exact timing but there was one user who did post in the last few months that was successful, after others posted they could not get it. Not saying it would still happen, but it seems to be more the luck of the draw. 

Anyway, in this case, this point is moot, as all is required is to purchase any LC version and the server will update it.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Hello - I have read all this with much appreciation as I've also been running QM2007 since its inception and, like many, live in terror of losing it.  Although from what I glean, I don't use the majority of the functions people seem to be worrying about.  I manually add to the registers, do no online connecting and the only Reports I really care about is the Income Statements.  Frankly the idea that I would now have to pay Intuit an annual subscription fee to get security updates that should always be free to desktop software is beyond ludicrous if I'm not using their online server features for online banking etc.  Ergo I'd like to keep my QM2007 as long as possible!

I have two separate situations:

1. My Home

My home is on a 5 year old iMac running El Capitan at the moment, but I had a severe HD crash last weekend and seem to have solved it with a complete erase and reinstall of the OS (restoring from a bootable clone).  I do use TM for backups to a TC, but I also make a bootable clone once a week to an external HD (this is what saved me last weekend!)

At some point, I will likely have to soon replace that Mac which will force the use of High Sierra (as the new ones come with it).

Just so I am clear from all the posts above: 

a) Can I partition the existing HFS+ internal drive without losing any of my current set up? (I have 3/4s of HD space available).

b) If I bother to do that and move the main data file and my automated backup files onto that new HFS+ internal partition, I presume that if I ever tried to upgrade the internal HD to High Sierra it would not leave the internal partition as HFS+, but would still make the entire HD APFS and I'd be out of luck.  So...

c) If instead I keep an HFS+ partition on an external drive and keep my main data file and my automated backup files onto that, is it correct that I could be logged into the main (new or updated with High Sierra) computer running QM2007 and it would just "find", Open on launch and backup on Quit the previous data file?  (I presume the first time I'd have to tell it where to look, yes?)  LOL!

2. My Office

I'm having to finally replace my much older iMac at work with a brand new one ordered with a fusion drive.  I have zero experience working with a fusion drive, and the new Mac comes with High Sierra already installed.  I have not even opened the box yet, but need to start setting this up this weekend.

Am I understanding correctly here that I could still keep the QM2007 main data file and automated backup files in the new Fusion HD and run with no problem?  Or should I also run this from an external HD on an HFS+ partition to be safe?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Arlette said:

Hello - I have read all this with much appreciation as I've also been running QM2007 since its inception and, like many, live in terror of losing it.  Although from what I glean, I don't use the majority of the functions people seem to be worrying about.  I manually add to the registers, do no online connecting and the only Reports I really care about is the Income Statements.  Frankly the idea that I would now have to pay Intuit an annual subscription fee to get security updates that should always be free to desktop software is beyond ludicrous if I'm not using their online server features for online banking etc.  Ergo I'd like to keep my QM2007 as long as possible!

1. My Home

My home is on a 5 year old iMac running El Capitan at the moment, but I had a severe HD crash last weekend and seem to have solved it with a complete erase and reinstall of the OS (restoring from a bootable clone).  I do use TM for backups to a TC, but I also make a bootable clone once a week to an external HD (this is what saved me last weekend!)

At some point, I will likely have to soon replace that Mac which will force the use of High Sierra (as the new ones come with it).

a) Can I partition the existing HFS+ internal drive without losing any of my current set up? (I have 3/4s of HD space available).

b) If I bother to do that and move the main data file and my automated backup files onto that new HFS+ internal partition, I presume that if I ever tried to upgrade the internal HD to High Sierra it would not leave the internal partition as HFS+, but would still make the entire HD APFS and I'd be out of luck.  So...

c) If instead I keep an HFS+ partition on an external drive and keep my main data file and my automated backup files onto that, is it correct that I could be logged into the main (new or updated with High Sierra) computer running QM2007 and it would just "find", Open on launch and backup on Quit the previous data file?  (I presume the first time I'd have to tell it where to look, yes?)  LOL!

2. My Office

I'm having to finally replace my much older iMac at work with a brand new one ordered with a fusion drive.  I have zero experience working with a fusion drive, and the new Mac comes with High Sierra already installed.  I have not even opened the box yet, but need to start setting this up this weekend.

Am I understanding correctly here that I could still keep the QM2007 main data file and automated backup files in the new Fusion HD and run with no problem?  Or should I also run this from an external HD on an HFS+ partition to be safe?

Question: does anyone know if you need the subscription just to use the quote server? That’s the only on-line aspect of QM2007 that I use, and of course am not paying any kind of fee for it.
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Arlette said:

1. My Home

2. My Office

That’s what Quicken says — what I’m asking is, what does experience say? Has anyone dropped their subscription and reported what still works and what doesn’t?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Arlette said:

1. My Home

2. My Office

Thanks for your response Rick, but I get the idea from looking at the 2018 choices they have that all quote a price per year.  I don't consider software updates to be irrelevant if I'm not going online with them.  I have lots of software that gets updates, upgrades and fixes that don't do anything online, but primarily become necessary to work with OS updates and printers, etc.  The link you provided also says you will cease to have access to Support.

In any event I am hoping to find answers to my more pressing questions about how to keep QM2007 with my new set ups.

Thanks!
  • smayer97
    edited January 2018
    Arlette said:

1. My Home

2. My Office

1 First, you only need to partition and have a HFS+ formatted drive if you really want the automated backup feature to work.

a) yes, Disk Utility can create a new partition without losing existing data (but always have a full backup before proceeding just in case)

b) When upgrading to High Sierra, supported boot volume(s) get converted to APFS automatically (these include SSDs and some hard drives, but last I heard not all hard drives and not Fusion drives, yet). 

That said, if you pay attention to the upgrade process, there is the option to turn off the auto re-format of the drive to APFS. What is not clear is if it attempts to format ALL drives it finds or only the boot drive. I have no direct experience with this.

c) yes...just configure as needed to actual desired destination

2. again, not sure what the latest is but AFAIK APFS does not support Fusion drives, yet.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Arlette said:

1. My Home

2. My Office

RickO & smayer97: Thank you both for your responses.  I guess the way I see it, staying with only Sierra is just putting off the inevitable upgrade that will likely be required in the not-to-long future, and other than QM2007, I have to other real issues, so I'd rather prepare for them now rather than relax and discover my fusion drive converted during a future OS update.

I can do this by sticking with Option #3 in my first post and keeping this on its own external HD partition that remains HFS+.

This will buy me some time to later try QM2017 or 18...   Also I didn't mention that at the office I run Parallels with Windows and Quickbooks, so I'd always have that option there, but the small Quicken file I manage there for someone doesn't warrant a new QB account, so if I can get by with the QM2007 that would be great!

Thank you both so much again!  Wish me luck :)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Arlette said:

1. My Home

2. My Office

RickO & smayer97: Thank you both for your responses.  I guess the way I see it, staying with only Sierra is just putting off the inevitable upgrade that will likely be required in the not-to-long future, and other than QM2007, I have to other real issues, so I'd rather prepare for them now rather than relax and discover my fusion drive converted during a future OS update.

I can do this by sticking with Option #3 in my first post and keeping this on its own external HD partition that remains HFS+.

This will buy me some time to later try QM2017 or 18...   Also I didn't mention that at the office I run Parallels with Windows and Quickbooks, so I'd always have that option there, but the small Quicken file I manage there for someone doesn't warrant a new QB account, so if I can get by with the QM2007 that would be great!

Thank you both so much again!  Wish me luck :)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

Q2007 opens but the data file consistently sends a message "not able to load file." As others have progressed to at least the inability to make a backup, what is the secret to loading the data file? Thanks.
  • smayer97
    edited January 2018

It appears you may have a different problem that is not related to High Sierra compatibility. See if these FAQs help: (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Thanks for the links to the FAQs. I did the re-indexing with no luck re opening the file in High Sierra. Similarly, I tried the show package contents approach with no results. The file behaves fine in MacOS 10.10.5. Q2007 opens in 10.13.2 but the data file refuses to open. All of my backups were created in 10.10.x and seem to produce similar results. 
    Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Did you move or copy the data file from one machine to another before, or possibly one partition or drive to another, before you tried to open it under 10.13.2?  That could be the problem.  I find that if I want to move a quicken data file from one machine to another, using a simple Finder move/copy, it won't open on the second machine.  I believe it has something to do with permissions or extended attributes getting garbled in a simple copy.  I have to compress the file on the first machine, move the zipped file to the second machine, and then unzip it on the second machine.  I don't know if that same problem arises in just moving it from one drive or partition to another on the same machine.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    NanB said:

What are the steps to doing a manual backup? Under "file" I only see "Backup To Disc", "Restore From Disc" or "Save A Copy".

For those of us that are barely computer literate, would you be willing to give a step-by-step for this manual backup?  I've tried looking in my finder file, but the most recent dates I see under Quicken are January 8, 2018.  I have made entries today, that show when I open my tile, but I get the "unable to erase partly-copied files" when I try to save a copy and auto backup says it is not able to automatically back up my file.  I do have an external hard drive that I use to backup my computer, when prompted.   Thank you for any assistance you might be able to give!
  • smayer97
    edited March 2018
    NanB said:

What are the steps to doing a manual backup? Under "file" I only see "Backup To Disc", "Restore From Disc" or "Save A Copy".

If you are getting these errors, this suggests that your data file is stored on an APFS formatted drive.

If your external hard drive is still formatted as HFS+ you could opt to move your data file there permanently, then change your Quicken Preferences to save the backup files there too. 

To check the drive format, simply highlight the drive and select Get Info. HFS+ format will be listed as Mac OS Extended. 

If you choose to keep your data file on your main drive that is formatted as APFS, then you will need to turn off the automatic backup in the Preferences settings.

As long as the data file is stored on an APFS formatted drive, you will most likely not be able to use the Save A Copy (some users can but results seem to vary). So to perform a manual backup, you do this in the Finder...find the data file, select it and choose File > Duplicate (or use CMD-D). 

If you use Time Machine, you do not really need to do anything...the default settings save a copy of the data file every hour.

If you need guidance on any of these, just say with which you need help.

• jacobs
    edited February 2018
    NanB said:

@smayer97, I think @HFG is asking how to find the Quicken 2007 data file.

@HFG: One way is to, in the Finder, for File > Find (Command-F) and search for ".qdfm". That is the file extension for Quicken 2007 files, so this will find all the .qdfm files on your hard drive -- one of which should be the one last opened today, which is your live data file. (The only problem here is that some really, really old Quicken files might not have the .qdfm extension; I don't want to complicate this post with all the details, so if you can't find your data file with the step above, post again and we can talk about other ways to locate your data file.)

So once you find your data file, you can make a copy of it the same way you'd copy any file in the finder: click on it once to highlight it, and do File > Duplicate (Command-D). I suggest making a new folder called "Quicken Manual Backups" or something along those lines, renaming your new copy of the data file with the date, and dragging it into the folder of backups. That is, let's say your new copy of the data file is called "MyQuickenData copy.qdfm". Change the file name to something like "2018-02-01 Quicken Backup.qdfm", and drag it into your backup folder.

You also wrote something that puzzled me: "I do have an external hard drive that I use to backup my computer, when prompted." It's great that you have an external hard drive for backups. But I'm wondering what is running that prompts you to backup, and what you do. If you were using Apple's Time Machine, it runs completely in the background without any prompts, so I'm assuming you're using something else. It would help to know what backup program you are using. Is is called CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper... or something else. Or if you don't know, what is the prompt that you get?
  • Mike_jMGS
    Mike_jMGS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    FYI: if you are thinking of upgrading to QMac/Win 2018 Amazon has 27 months for $45.00. @ $22.50 a year just might be worth buying and waiting for a few more updates. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NCB8ZM
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Mike jMGS said:

FYI: if you are thinking of upgrading to QMac/Win 2018 Amazon has 27 months for $45.00. @ $22.50 a year just might be worth buying and waiting for a few more updates. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NCB8ZM

Thank you, would you happen to you know if this addresses the auto save problem?  I only use quicken for basics, mainly account registers.  I don't even download or autoload account info from the internet...enter manually, as I would on a paper register.
  • smayer97
    edited February 2018
    Mike jMGS said:

The auto-save problem is isolated to QM2007, since support for it was stopped over a year ago.

BUT if you choose that route, be sure to read the following:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2007-and-quicken-for-mac-2018-in...

• jacobs
    edited February 2018
    Mike jMGS said:

HFG, your question is akin mixing apples and oranges.

Quick review: Quicken 2007 still works okay on Macs which run the High Sierra operating system except that the auto-save feature does not work on hard drives which High Sierra updates to the new APFS file system. For anyone who has legitimate reasons for sticking with Quicken 2007 instead of updating to Quicken 2018, this is a minor issues that is easily worked around. There are several possible workarounds, including (1) getting an inexpensive external hard drive and moving the Quicken 2007 data file to that drive or (2) turning off the auto-backup in Quicken Preferences, and implementing your own strategy for manually creating backup copies. (There are other options, too, which are a little more technically complicated, so I'll stick to those two now intentionally.) This long thread offers many detailed suggestions about how to do either. 

Now, to answer your question, Quicken 2018 does not have the auto-save problem. But Quicken 2018 is a significantly different program than Quicken 2007. It has been re-written from scratch to work optimally with the modern Mac operating system. It is better in some ways, but it also lacks some of the functionality that some Quicken 2007 users consider valuable or crucial. It looks different, and there's a bit of a learning curve for Quicken 2007 users. Some users appreciate the improvements; some users are frustrated that it doesn't look and work as if it were just a minor upgrade to Quicken 2007.

If you purchase Quicken 2018, you get a membership or subscription for 12 months, 24 months or 27 months, depending where you buy it. Your subscription can automatically renew, but you can also have it not do so. As long as you have a subscription, you can download transactions (which you've noted you don't need), you get updates to the software for bug fixes and new features, and you can access Quicken Support should you need to. If you let your subscription expire, you lose those benefits, but you can continue to use Quicken manually entering your data indefinitely.

If Quicken 2007 suits you, and you're not having any problems with crashes or database corruption, and you only need the basic features you mention, you should be fine continuing to use Quicken 2007 for the time being. Just follow one of the paths to bypass the issue with auto-backups not working and carry on. But if you do so, know that one of the next Apple updates to the macOS, either this October or next year, will likely break Quicken 2007 completely -- so you need to either commit to not upgrading your macOS or eventually upgrading your Quicken.
  • smayer97
    edited February 2018
    Mike jMGS said:

And to all...let's please keep this thread on topic...QM2007 and High Sierra....

If you have any questions about QM2018, etc, please research in this forum or start a new thread...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    I seem to have made the auto backup and backup work with Quicken 2007 and Apple OS High Sierra. What I did was copy my data file from the Quicken Application folder to my Quicken Backups which is on an external drive. I the opened this backup file with quicken 2007 quit the program and Quicken created a new backup file and updated the data file in the application folder. I then opened Quicken 2007 and quit it and everything appears to work.

The next test will be to reboot and see if this is still the case.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Not quite correct. The following works. Put your data file on a non APFS formatted disk Thumb drive etc. Open this file. when you quit you can save to another non APFS drive. Everything seems to be automatic. If those drives are seperate you will have a backup and the working copy. I suspect the proper solution is to have a partition on your main drive that is non APFS,
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Fix that appears to work. (Do at your own risk) I added a non APFS partition to my active boot drive with Disk Utility (20Gb Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) partition. I then copied my data file to this partition and opened it with Quicken 2007. Quit Q 2007 and saved backup to external drive. Now when I open Q 2007 it uses the data from the non APFS partition and auto saves etc.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Fix that appears to work. (Do at your own risk) I added a non APFS
    partition to my active boot drive with Disk Utility (20Gb Mac OS
    Extended (Journaled)) partition. I then copied my data file to this
    partition and opened it with Quicken 2007. Quit Q 2007 and saved backup
    to external drive. Now when I open Q 2007 it uses the data from the non
    APFS partition and auto saves etc.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Mike jMGS said:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
  • jacobs
    edited February 2018

Yes, as documented by others in this thread, as long as your data file is on an HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) volume, auto-backup will work. It is possible to create such a partition on your APFS hard drive, as you've done. We don't know for sure that Apple won't automatically "upgrade" such volumes/partitions to APFS in the future -- but even if they do, at worst it will knock out Quicken 2007 auto-backups again.
This discussion has been closed.