Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?

Options

Comments

• Mike_jMGS
    Mike_jMGS Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    FYI: if you are thinking of upgrading to QMac/Win 2018 Amazon has 27 months for $45.00. @ $22.50 a year just might be worth buying and waiting for a few more updates. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NCB8ZM
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

FYI: if you are thinking of upgrading to QMac/Win 2018 Amazon has 27 months for $45.00. @ $22.50 a year just might be worth buying and waiting for a few more updates. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NCB8ZM

Thank you, would you happen to you know if this addresses the auto save problem?  I only use quicken for basics, mainly account registers.  I don't even download or autoload account info from the internet...enter manually, as I would on a paper register.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

The auto-save problem is isolated to QM2007, since support for it was stopped over a year ago.

BUT if you choose that route, be sure to read the following:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2007-and-quicken-for-mac-2018-in...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

HFG, your question is akin mixing apples and oranges.

Quick review: Quicken 2007 still works okay on Macs which run the High Sierra operating system except that the auto-save feature does not work on hard drives which High Sierra updates to the new APFS file system. For anyone who has legitimate reasons for sticking with Quicken 2007 instead of updating to Quicken 2018, this is a minor issues that is easily worked around. There are several possible workarounds, including (1) getting an inexpensive external hard drive and moving the Quicken 2007 data file to that drive or (2) turning off the auto-backup in Quicken Preferences, and implementing your own strategy for manually creating backup copies. (There are other options, too, which are a little more technically complicated, so I'll stick to those two now intentionally.) This long thread offers many detailed suggestions about how to do either. 

Now, to answer your question, Quicken 2018 does not have the auto-save problem. But Quicken 2018 is a significantly different program than Quicken 2007. It has been re-written from scratch to work optimally with the modern Mac operating system. It is better in some ways, but it also lacks some of the functionality that some Quicken 2007 users consider valuable or crucial. It looks different, and there's a bit of a learning curve for Quicken 2007 users. Some users appreciate the improvements; some users are frustrated that it doesn't look and work as if it were just a minor upgrade to Quicken 2007.

If you purchase Quicken 2018, you get a membership or subscription for 12 months, 24 months or 27 months, depending where you buy it. Your subscription can automatically renew, but you can also have it not do so. As long as you have a subscription, you can download transactions (which you've noted you don't need), you get updates to the software for bug fixes and new features, and you can access Quicken Support should you need to. If you let your subscription expire, you lose those benefits, but you can continue to use Quicken manually entering your data indefinitely.

If Quicken 2007 suits you, and you're not having any problems with crashes or database corruption, and you only need the basic features you mention, you should be fine continuing to use Quicken 2007 for the time being. Just follow one of the paths to bypass the issue with auto-backups not working and carry on. But if you do so, know that one of the next Apple updates to the macOS, either this October or next year, will likely break Quicken 2007 completely -- so you need to either commit to not upgrading your macOS or eventually upgrading your Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

And to all...let's please keep this thread on topic...QM2007 and High Sierra....

If you have any questions about QM2018, etc, please research in this forum or start a new thread...

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I seem to have made the auto backup and backup work with Quicken 2007 and Apple OS High Sierra. What I did was copy my data file from the Quicken Application folder to my Quicken Backups which is on an external drive. I the opened this backup file with quicken 2007 quit the program and Quicken created a new backup file and updated the data file in the application folder. I then opened Quicken 2007 and quit it and everything appears to work.

The next test will be to reboot and see if this is still the case.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Not quite correct. The following works. Put your data file on a non APFS formatted disk Thumb drive etc. Open this file. when you quit you can save to another non APFS drive. Everything seems to be automatic. If those drives are seperate you will have a backup and the working copy. I suspect the proper solution is to have a partition on your main drive that is non APFS,
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Fix that appears to work. (Do at your own risk) I added a non APFS partition to my active boot drive with Disk Utility (20Gb Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) partition. I then copied my data file to this partition and opened it with Quicken 2007. Quit Q 2007 and saved backup to external drive. Now when I open Q 2007 it uses the data from the non APFS partition and auto saves etc.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Fix that appears to work. (Do at your own risk) I added a non APFS
    partition to my active boot drive with Disk Utility (20Gb Mac OS
    Extended (Journaled)) partition. I then copied my data file to this
    partition and opened it with Quicken 2007. Quit Q 2007 and saved backup
    to external drive. Now when I open Q 2007 it uses the data from the non
    APFS partition and auto saves etc.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Mike jMGS said:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
  • jacobs
    edited February 2018
    Options

Yes, as documented by others in this thread, as long as your data file is on an HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) volume, auto-backup will work. It is possible to create such a partition on your APFS hard drive, as you've done. We don't know for sure that Apple won't automatically "upgrade" such volumes/partitions to APFS in the future -- but even if they do, at worst it will knock out Quicken 2007 auto-backups again.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

Yes, as summarized in the posts above here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/is-quicken-for-mac-2007-qm2007-compatible-with-h...

and here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/is-quicken-for-mac-2007-qm2007-compatible-with-h...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

This works for me:
    An AFPS formatted main drive with QM2007 (Build 24.937.100) in App Folder (along with QM 2018 for learning, tracking purposes) and an external HFS+ drive (formatted with Disk Utility) connected by USB 3.0 to Mac USB port.   Save a Copy allows you to determine the location/drive (place copy on 
    the external drive). I begin sessions by clicking the file on the external
    drive, which instantly invokes QM2007 on the APFS drive, and there's everything. **** for where the original data file is I know not as I simply
    work off the backup copy (and I back that up to a third drive).
    Hope this helps, Tom
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

BTW, where is your main data file stored?

• Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

That's a very good question. Saving a Copy puts a so-called "Backup" file
    on the external drive - Get Info identifies it as a Quicken Data File - and (truncated) text on the file title continues as  . . (orig.qdfm     A Finder Search (not Spotlight) reveals no such file on my SSD. I think this is a result of not saving the original - AutoSave being disabled . . .
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

Now I've discovered a problem - I can't edit either the Memo field or Amount. Is some kind of file maintenance required?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

Odd...first time heard of this...if this persists even after quitting and restarting Quicken and/or your computer, I would try a file re-indexing...CMD-OPT-B with the Account list open (always be sure to have a backup before trying).

• Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    NanB said:

What are the steps to doing a manual backup? Under "file" I only see "Backup To Disc", "Restore From Disc" or "Save A Copy".

Now I've discovered a problem - I can't edit fields. Trying file maintenance. 

Problem alleviated - but returns. This is screwy behavior I've not seen before with QM-2007. Evidently there are deeper compatibility problems under High Sierra than just the Save issue. Opening, closing have no effect on it - field editing has always been supported. Further, exporting a file to Excel results in just a fragment of the file. It looks like QM-2018 merits more consideration.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

I see you commented above about not being able to edit fields (https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/is-quicken-for-mac-2007-qm2007-compatible-with-h...)

Just to keep all comments on this issue together, let's continue this in the sub-thread, here....

I am wondering if this may be a Permissions problem. The following may reset the Permissions on the internal files of your data file (which is really a package of single files).

Try archiving your data file--Right-Click on the data file and select Compress. Then unarchive it in a new location and play with that copy for a bit. 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

To Gotom - I'm running QM2007 on a new Mac with HS, and APFS drive.  I have the QM2007 App in the main Application folder on the Mac (Mac HD>Applications) and I have my .qdfm file and my backup folder on an external HFS+ drive.  I just launch Quicken from the alias I have in my Dock and it opens right up where I left off.  I have tried making a test entry, saving, changing the memo, saving, changing the amounts, etc and I'm not having the issue you describe.
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi Arlete - reconstructing index headers (Cmd-B) got it working again - I can now edit fields. My setup's the same as yours - I start from the data file on the HFS+ external drive - QM07 in Apps on the APFS drive. But the bottom line is I don't trust the method even though it seems alright. I can't afford a problem cropping up outta da' blue so I bought a subscription to Quicken 2018 and will run in parallel (there seems to be no problem with having both open simultaneously). It's not as pretty as the old Quicken and reporting with 2018 is a whole different animal - there's a def. learning curve, but taking my time, checking both as I go with no plans to switch right now. Good luck, Tom
    p.s. Don't forget to make a safety copy of the HFS+ file somewhere . . 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Upgraded to High Sierra, My Quicken 2007 was upgraded to 2011. HS removed all of my 2011 information. I do have backups, done on a regular basis, however, Quicken 2016 on my Mac doesn't recognize the backups and on an import I get file error. Any help appreciated. P.S. Apple is trying to figure out why HS changed my permissions to read only for a lot of my files.
  • jacobs
    edited June 2018
    Options

Michael, could you clarify: you wrote that Quicken 2007 was upgraded to 2011. there was no Quicken 2011; did you mean to type 2016, which you mention later? (Quicken 2016 wasn't being sold since high Sierra came out, which is why I'm confused.) Is that what you have, Quicken 2016? I just wanted to make sure we understood the versions before offering some suggestions...
  • 317223 .
    317223 . Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    tmplee said:

I just upgraded my MacBookPro to HighSierra (it has a SSD).  I can report the same problem others are having. Automated backups in QM2007 don't work to either APFS or HFS+.  The auto backup didn't work after the upgrade.  I tried creating an HFS+ formatted disk image and using that as a place for the backup, but that didn't work (a couple of levels of folders were created, but that was it.)  I also attached an external HFS+ formatted drive and tried using that for backups and that didn't work either (again, a couple of folders were created, so Quicken was trying to backup to the place I intended.)  Manual backup does seem to work, although that's not terribly helpful (I'm assuming Quicken isn't scriptable enough to be able to write a script to do that.)  No big loss since I have Time Machine turned on backing everything up on it's usual schedule.  I haven't put Quicken through very many of its paces, but it seems OK otherwise.

Why does anyone perform auto or manual back ups when the time machine is doing the job? Unless high Sierra is also reformatting to Apple's File System, l don't believe so. I also use a back up service that should be independent of High Sierra. Am l correct? Haven't up up graded yet so what have I missed?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem tmplee mentions of quicken data files getting garbled on a simple move/copy?  I had a failing hard drive, so I copied my Quicken 2007 data files to iCloud.  Got a new hard drive, downloaded the files from iCloud, and now Quicken refuses to recognize them.  Any ideas how I can recover from this situation?
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

I had/have a similar problem in just copying a Quicken 2007 file from one Mac (running Sierra) to another (running High Sierra.)  (I don't remember if this is what you are referring to or not.)  What I found that worked was to compress the file before transferring it and then uncompress the transferred file on the receiving side.  I think someone commented that it probably has something to do with permissions, ACL's, and/or extended attributes.  I keep meaning to try to copy a file and then zapping it with various utilities or command line tools to remove any "extra" attributes to see if that works, but I've never gotten around to it.
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

Ok, so far the pattern I see is that QM2007 does not like APFS for automated backups but seems ok with HFS+.

I am running QMac 2007 with APFS format.  I am running Mac High Sierra (10.13.4), manual entries work fine with respect to Mut Funds, but automatic backup will not take place anymore. I wonder if I switch to QMac 2017, if this will work for manual entries of Mut funds and start automatic backup again. Does anyone know? And if so, where can I pick up a opy of the QMac Deluxe 2017?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

Ok, so far the pattern I see is that QM2007 does not like APFS for automated backups but seems ok with HFS+.

As stated throughout this thread, the way to get automatic backups to work with QM2007 is to create a HFS+ (MacOS Extended) partition or use an external drive with that format and store both the data file AND the backups there. The automatic backups will work. Or you can simply rely on MacOS Time Machine. 

If you want to "upgrade" to QM2017 or newer, you will have to search for it as it is not available from Quicken. But also do your research before the "upgrade", as there are MANY differences, as QM2017 is NOT an upgrade directly from QM2007 but a new software based on QEM (circa 2010) and there are still many features missing, so may not meet your needs. (I have posted in this forum MANY times showing the differences).

This discussion has been closed.