Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?

Options

Comments

• Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

Ok, so far the pattern I see is that QM2007 does not like APFS for automated backups but seems ok with HFS+.

Thank you for the info. I guess I'll have stay the way it is, and save a laptop with High Sierra and upgrade the other one when time comes. Seen this movie before, when I had to not upgrade on an older computer to continue my manually added Mut funds. This was eventually fixed. I wonder why Quicken is not interested in Mac users and correct their deficiencies. Again, thanks so much for the info.
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

Ok, so far the pattern I see is that QM2007 does not like APFS for automated backups but seems ok with HFS+.

I have samples of the folders you requested. Will not drag and drop to the "upload image" below, since they are folders. Would be more than happy to share with you, but need another means. If it's a .png, you will not be able to pen the sample folders.
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

Here is a screen shot of the only thing I do with QM2007 on my computer. This is a mut and accnt that was closed in 2008.image
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Options

Jack, I think it's hard to support your statement that "Quicken is not interested in Mac users", when they've spent the past 5 years investing in building a new generation of Quicken for Mac after the old one reached a dead-end because of changes Apple made in the Mac operating system. You are using 11 year-old software which has long since been discontinued and replaced by the new generation software, yet you blame them for not correcting "deficiencies"? They do indeed have a newer version of Quicken; it's your choice not to use it. Alternatively, you could choose not to upgrade to the latest macOS because you wish you use the old Quicken software; it's your choice to upgrade the macOS. Or you could install a HFS+ partition on your computer (internal or external drive); it's your choice not to do so. Or you could continue using your 11 year-old software on the latest macOS, and accept that one minor feature of automated backups no longer works, and just make it a habit to manually back up your data file after each use or weekly. Or rely on Time Machine, assuming you are backing up your computer with it to an external hard drive. So there are multiple work-arounds and solutions available to you.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

I do not mind buying or switching to the "new QM2017", all I need is that the manual entry of mutual funds aspect remains, as shown above. My accountant likes this aspect for when I sell shares of any mutual fund. Then when I sell, this is printed out for the accountant for ease of tax preparation (LT cap gains, Dividends, ST cap gains etc). Would my present software be comparable with High Sierra? I do back-up my computer daily automatically through time machine. I never go on-line with Quicken and never have done so. Thus all I need is the simple option above. I cannot imagine I am the only one using QM for this MF entry. When it stops working, I will stop using QMac for ever and see where else I can find what I need. For now, I will keep one of my laptops no further than High Sierra and hope for the best. I am sure Quicken monitors all the entries on this chat forum and can help out by including that "old" section back into the program. Or is it there? No one ever commented on that . Have a nice day.
  • jacobs
    edited May 2018
    Options

Jack: First, Quicken 2018 is the current program. You may be able to find Quicken 2017 on Amazon or eBay, but it is no longer officially for sale. Quicken 2018 is sold as a subscription; if you don't plan to use any online features as you say, then you can buy a one-year subscription and not renew; you'd be able to continue manual entry indefinitely.

Quicken 2017 or 2018 allows manual entry of investment transactors, as you're used to in Quicken 2007. The look is quite a bit different, but you're able to do the same things.

Quicken (the company) does not respond to most posts on this forum.

They are not going to make changes to a program that has been discontinued and replaced. You can continue to use Quicken 2007, as many of us do, as long as you like, but expecting them to go back to update the 11 year-old program is simply not going to happen. Further, as explained above, there are numerous ways you can continue to use Quicken 2007 and keep automatic backup working. Or you can use Quicken 2007 on High Sierra and just give up on the automatic backups; you can easily back up your data file manually, and you can have Time Machine backups as a second level of safety.
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thanks Jacobs, I appreciate the input. You are saying if I buy QM2017 (not available from stores) or QM2018, I can continue doing what I am doing, manual entry and not going on line. You also state it will look different, but will my old entries be converted to the new style of entry? Or do I need to start all over? Plz advise if you don't mind. Like you said, I can also buy 1 year of QM2018, pay for 1 year, then stop paying since I do not go online. Will it stop me from more entries in the future after payments are stopped, making the software "read only?" You state manual entry can be done indefinitely..... Would you be able to share a sample what the new look would be like before I make the plunge? My entries look like the screen shot I entered above. Thanks in advance for your interest, really appreciated.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Options

Jack, Here's a very small sample of what it might look like in QM2018...

The entries are all single-line in QM18. However, you can add or remove columns that you want to see, change their order and adjust their widths. You can filter and search the register and print out the results or export to Excel/Numbers.

I think QM18 will work fine for your purpose after taking a little while to get used to it.

Some very important points to keep in mind:
    • QM18 has a 30 day money back guarantee, so the best thing for you is probably to go ahead an purchase, try it out, and return if you don't like it. You can run it in parallel to QM07 for a test drive.
    • Yes, it will import your QM07 data.
    • Look around for the best price on Amazon, etc. You may find a better price than on quicken.com (1 year is $45 there right now).
    • There are three editions of QM18: Starter, Deluxe and Premier. You do not need Premier, but you MUST purchase Deluxe, not Starter because Starter does not support investment accounts and becomes read-only after the subscription expires.
    • When the subscription expires, all online connectivity ceases. This includes download of quotes.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

Thanks Rick, much appreciated. The sample is a bit tiny for me to read, but most importantly, my old entries will be converted/imported to the new format. I frequently get offers from Quicken to buy the software (QM2018), so waiting a week or two will not hurt. I will get the Deluxe as you suggested. If there are any other suggestions, feel free to let me know and keeping me in the loop. I understand once I stop paying, the manual entry will continue as usual. I appreciate everyones help, I really do. Regards, JAH.
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    Options

Jack, You're welcome. Click on the image in my post above and it will expand into its own tab/window and will be much more readable. You may see a magnifying glass cursor, in which case you can click again and make it even bigger.
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

Fantastic, very clear with the larger image. If you click on my image above, you can see what I am working on in QM2007.Especially since I can add columns and move them around, making the final product as close to the previous one as possible. I believe I should save QM2007 and my files on a clean thumb drive first, just in case...Once the program is purchased, how many computers can I install the software on? I have a permanent laptop in my office and a MacBook Air I carry around as needed. Thanks again for you time and help in this matter. I feel better having to upgrade and not loosing all the work I have done for years.....
  • RickO
    edited May 2018
    Options

You can install the software on multiple computers. However, it is not recommended to store you file on any cloud service due to potential for corruption (it will eventually happen). The same advise goes for QM07. Therefore, you will need some way to move the file back and forth. If you only use one of the computers for reference and do all the input on the other one, you can just copy the file from the source to the destination computer as needed.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

One thing to point out. You state that you share your info with your accountant. Note that reports in QM2018 still greatly fall short of what QM2007 can do, and may not satisfy your accountant. So that is one area you will have to check out to make sure it meets your needs, or that work-arounds work for you, e.g. exporting data or report to Excel. Otherwise, you will need to continue using QM2007 until QM2018+ catches up.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi Rick, that is exactly what I do. I do not store any financial info on any cloud. I enter info in one computer, back it up with time machine(La Cie unit on my desk), and every 2 weeks or so transfer to the other computer via thumb drive. That is why I do no online banking or investing...Thanks again for your interest and help. Greatly appreciated!
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

Above reply was to Rick and Mayer. Thank you guys.
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options

I only print out for the accountant once I sell a mut. fund in it's entirety. Otherwise the 1099 forms will have to do for him at the end of the year. He has no idea what I am doing meanwhile. Going to get my car inspected now and some errands to run. Have a great rest of the day, will keep you posted as to what I decide to do in. the future.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    As of today, I can suddenly not open any of my QM2007 files.  It has been working fine and then I quit the program because we were expecting a storm and now while it will launch and ask for my password it then does nothing and will not open any of my files.  I'm running OS 10.13.4 now but not on APFS so I don't know whether there was something in the last Mac OS update that did this or what.  Any suggestions on anything to try to force an opening?

Otherwise I would buy QM 2017 but now can't find it available for download and I don't want a subscription which is what 2018 forces you to have :( this makes me sad!
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options

Fix that appears to work. (Do at your own risk) I added a non APFS
    partition to my active boot drive with Disk Utility (20Gb Mac OS
    Extended (Journaled)) partition. I then copied my data file to this
    partition and opened it with Quicken 2007. Quit Q 2007 and saved backup
    to external drive. Now when I open Q 2007 it uses the data from the non
    APFS partition and auto saves etc.

Strange.  I'm running on 10.13.4 and have no problem (just opened a couple of quicken files right now to make sure!) I am on an APFS volume but I wouldn't think that would suddenly have caused a problem.  The only suggestion I would have is to trash all your Quicken pref files.  Maybe get a file from backup that used to be OK?
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options

Trying to find a QM2017 as well, with little success. If I do find one, I will be happy to share where it is obtainable. Meanwhile, to all, please do the same. Thanks. Jack H.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

So sorry for the panic, I still don't know what caused this, but I don't believe it was the High Sierra.  The problem was that every time I retried to open and put in my password and it did nothing it overwrote each of my backups on quitting (ARGH!) 

I don't normally quit my Quicken but leave it running in the dock, so a backup isn't forced that often.  Thankfully, I had replaced my Mac in March with a newer one and still had the old one in another room and was able to boot that up and open the last QM file which was dated early March.  I moved a copy of that back onto my current Mac and it opened right up!  So something corrupted the files and then wouldn't let me in and kept rewriting a corrupted copy over my old backups, making me think it was the computer - but it was the file.

Soooo, I've spent today re-creating all my accounts and re-reconciling up to date and made a couple of extra copies of the new updated backup for safe keeping.

Meanwhile though, we are all going to eventually have to bite the bullet and buy new QM, which I'm quite annoyed that we can't find QM 2017 anymore.  I am sort of holding out hope though that the 2018 version, while it looks like you are being forced into a subscription, if I understand it correctly you really can cancel that and continue to use it as Desktop only - that the subscription is really for online bill pay (which I never used) and updates to the software....

Thank you all for your support.  Its nice to know I'm not the only QM2007 lover out there.
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options

I use QM2007 strictly to follow my mut. funds on the computer, never go online as well.
    Like I said earlier, if somehow I find a copy of QM2017, will let all know where it came from  or if purchased, where I found it. I am trying to find a disk, if so, wondering once I have it, if the software can be shared with all. I just heard of a young man I know  (a son's friend) working for Intuit, I will see if I can contact him for a CD of QM2017.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Over the past number of months on conversations over the compatibility issues with High Sierra and QM2007, it has been suggested to be sure to make copies of our Quicken files (not just rely on the automatic backup). I want to be clear that I am following the proper procedure for making accurate copies in case a file becomes corrupt (which I have had happen multiple times). I believe some are using different ways to copy their files. I've been simply opening each of my Quicken files and under "File" and then hitting "Save A Copy" and then storing them in a separate Quicken Copies folder. Is that how most are duplicating their files??

Thank you!
  • RickO
    edited June 2018
    Options

I am sort of holding out hope though that the 2018 version, while it looks like you are being forced into a subscription, if I understand it correctly you really can cancel that and continue to use it as Desktop only - that the subscription is really for online bill pay (which I never used) and updates to the software....
    This is true with two caveats... (1) you must have the Deluxe or higher edition (not Starter), otherwise it becomes read only when the subscription expires, and (2) when the subscription expires, you lose all online connectivity, which includes the Mobile App, quote download, account downloads and QFX import.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Per the End User License Agreement, you can't get one copy of Quicken Mac 2017 and "share" it with other users who haven't paid for it.

Not unless you want to go to jail for pirating software.
  • Jack Henriquez
    Jack Henriquez Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options

Don't like that idea for sure. Well, if I find one somewhere, I'll ask if there are more available and share that information. I know that is more appetizing to me. Oh well, I tried.
  • jacobs
    edited June 2018
    Options

Keep in mind that if you find and buy a copy of Quicken 2017, and if you use any of the download/import features, those will end in two years (April 2020). If you buy a two-year subscription to Quicken 2018, you'll have the newer version with the features which have already been added, and those which will be added over the next two years, likely for just a slightly higher price. If you use any of the online features of Quicken, you will have to get on the subscription program by April 2020, and I'm not sure I can see much advantage to buying a copy of Quicken 2017 now.

If you do not use any of the online/download services, assuming you can find a copy of Quicken 2017, I also can't see why would you choose that over a one-year subscription to Quicken 2018. Quicken 2018 will end online service in a year, but if you're not using online services, you don't care. You will be able to continue to use the program indefinitely as long as you do exclusively manual data entry. Meanwhile, you'll get the enhancements currently in Quicken 2018 plus whatever else they fix or add over the next 12 months before your subscription runs out.

On a separate subject, if you are relying solely on Quicken's automated backups for security, you're on thin ice; one hard drive death away from losing all your data. I encourage anyone who has data of any value on their Mac -- form Quicken to photos to music to other documents -- to have at least one, and ideally more than one type of backup. The easiest is the built-in Time Machine, which only requires you to plug in an inexpensive ($100 or less) hard drive and tell it to start running; Time Machine will then back up all your files, and keep backup up changes hourly in the background. but if you have a fire or the disaster at your home, you're still vulnerable if your Mac and the hard drive next to it can both become inoperable. Options include (a) getting a hard drive to which you back up your whole disk (using inexpensive utility software such as SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner) and keeping that backup drive at work, or some other location than your home, or (b) using an online backup service such as BackBlaze to back up your data, (encrypted for safety) to the cloud. Most people believe disaster will never hit them... until it does. Spend the modest amount of time and money to make sure you have reliable backups of your valuable data!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I have to admit that I've come to the same conclusion as "jacobs" (user above), as I never used any of their online services - I did use Stock Quotes - but I can live without that.  As long as 2018 resides on the Desktop (not online like Quickbooks Online - which is awful!). All I want is account registers, categories and reports. :)

To answer User "NanB" (above), I had never tried Save a Copy before just now and it showed a whole bunch of activity while performing the function, but the result looks like its the same as if you just made a Backup (it makes a .qdfm file) - but it renames it "Copy of (name of file)". You can choose "File>Backup to Disk" and get the same result without the "copy of" in front of the name.

I learned several years ago to make constant backups of my whole system and I go a bit overboard (but I manage several other peoples' lives for a living.)

I have a constant hourly backup via Time Machine to a Time Capsule - but you must realize this is NOT a bootable backup if your system crashes.  I also make a nightly backup of my whole computer with SuperDuper to an external drive - which IS bootable.

At work where my Mac is APFS, I have Quicken running and the files are on an external HFS+ drive, which is where it backs up (I also have multiple Time Machine & SuperDuper backups there as well).

Everyone should definitely get a little external drive and back up with something like SuperDuper that makes a bootable clone in case your whole system crashes.  You can then actually run your whole computer from that if you had to.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Arlette - - Thanks so much for responding to my question. I, too, manage many peoples' lives for a living and feel like my life depends on Quicken 2007!!

I thought the files were being automatically backed up by Quicken. If you are choosing "Backup to Disc" what is the difference with the auto backup and where is "Backup to Disc" putting those copies??

I work on a Mac laptop and use an external hard drive as well, but I've never heard of SuperDuper. I just plug in the external hard drive and hit back up (which I believe is backing up through time machine). I thought that was keeping me safe in case of a system crash but it sounds like that isn't the case. Would SuperDuper also be backing up the Quicken 2007 program?

So glad you joined this string - -
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Options

A comment for everyone.  Remember that Quicken 2007 does NOT, I repeat, NOT, save its data to disk until you quit it.  So, if you leave Quicken running for several days and are making changes every day, if the system suddenly crashes, or, say, you lose power, you will lose everything you've done during that period, no matter how diligent you are about backups. My wife tends to leave her copy of Quicken running all the time, since she never knows when she's "done", so I've written a small AppleScript to force it to quit every evening at 10PM (triggered by a calendar event.)  Initially I also had it restart after sufficient time had elapsed for the save to take place, but I ran into problems with that, no matter how long a time I'd allowed.  Another word to the wise: I mentioned that I discovered, when it came time to recover from a corrupted Quicken file, that Time Machine had failed to make any backups for about two weeks!  I found the magic terminal incantations to look at the Time Machine logs and found nothing interesting.  It was backing up fine, with a log entry saying a backup had been complete.  Then nothing.  No log entries for two weeks!  And then they continued as normal.  No hint of what might have gone wrong, and I know I didn't turn off backups.  So it's probably worthwhile to keep an eye on the Time Machine icon in the menu bar just to see that it's doing its thing every now and then.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Just chiming in to agree with User "tmplee" - I have the same bad habit as his wife - having Quicken open and running for ages as I never shut down my computer.  This is why when I had the drama Saturday morning, I had to re-create my Quicken files since mid-March (!). To be honest I presumed it was the last update of Mac OS that finally killed QM2007, and didn't think to try and drag a copy from a Time Machine backup and try it.  But in my case I had another Mac handy that didn't have the latest update so I pulled a copy of that and tested it in my new Mac and it worked so I just used that.

To NanB:

As "tmplee" says, unless you tell it to "Save a Backup" (which will be however it is at that moment in time), Quicken DOES NOT backup until you Quit the program.  Then it automatically makes a backup to wherever you have it doing that - usually the default location is in Finder>Documents>Quicken Backup Folder (or whatever the name.).  If you can't find where they are backing up, do a "Find" for .qdfm and your Mac will find where those files are and that is where they are saving to.

The Back-up-on-Quit is what a large part of this whole BB topic is talking about - people who discovered that the Quicken for Mac 2007 automatic-backups-on-quitting stopped happening when the Mac has been upgraded to High Sierra and is NOT running on a Journaled HFS+ internal drive.  If you are running High Sierra on an SSD or Fusion drive, QM2007 will no longer save backups to that Mac on Quit.  (I think it gives you a message saying it couldn't backup.)  This is why we have found the current solution (as I described I do above at my office which is an SSD) of having Quicken and the Backups Folder residing on an external drive formatted as Journaled HFS+.

Aside from Quicken issues, you should definitely invest in a small external drive (I use a Seagate Backup Plus) and buy SuperDuper - you can get it online and download it - its the best $27.95 you'll ever spend.

You can get it here:

https://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

You can create any schedule to backup you like - once a week, every other day, daily- whatever you like.  I have mine set to backup every night at 11:30pm.  But it doesn't back up individual files, it backs up your ENTIRE computer and most importantly, it makes it bootable.  So if your computer hard drive suddenly dies, you can startup your Mac from that bootable clone and literally run your computer from that!  If you had to get a new hard drive or buy a new Mac, you can copy that whole thing to the new computer.  I once had an iMac die years and ago and literally ran it for another few years from the bootable external drive.  (its actually still in my garage and will still work! LOL) 

Anyway, we all know we are biding our time before QM2007 will one day no longer work and I agree that it might make sense to bite the bullet and buy QM2018 (the Deluxe or Premier versions so you can continue when your subscription runs out.)

Have a great evening & week everyone!
This discussion has been closed.