Is Quicken for Mac 2007 (QM2007) Compatible with High Sierra (macOS 10.13)?

Options

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

But if Automatic copy won't work, the file on the computer won't be current.

George, yes the automated backup in the old Quicken 2007 won't work on many Macs upgraded to High Sierra -- but I was saying that you can simply make periodic (weekly?) backups manually with a one-key command. Yes, you do need to remember to do it, so it's not as foolproof as automatic backups; I'm just saying it's not a problem to do if you get in the habit of doing it. I was saying that I've been in this habit for a long time now, because I know Quicken 2007 is old and creaky and prone to database problems. Between my manual backups which go back years and my Time Machine backups which are automatic, it wouldn't bother me to lose Quicken's built-in automatic backup functionality. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • George Chapman
    George Chapman Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I agree with that. I keep 4 copies plus one on my laptop. I just was warning not to mistake the copy on the desktop if AutoCopy doesn't work with an updated one.
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Ok, so far the pattern I see is that QM2007 does not like APFS for automated backups but seems ok with HFS+.

For all I know, they've always been there -- at least as long as OS X has had packages.  A quicken (QM2007) data file isn't a simple file -- it's a package, an arrangement of files and folders treated as a single entity.  If you control-select the file one of the contextual menu options is "show package contents" and here's what you get for one of my files (I didn't expand some of the folders since they have a lot of entries -- for instance"quotes details" has one file for each stock you have quotes for.) It looks like under High Sierra quicken is able to create the top-most folder and the Contents and Messages folders and then has to give up because of that compression error.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

Ok, so far the pattern I see is that QM2007 does not like APFS for automated backups but seems ok with HFS+.

Yup, been that way for a long time and still is for QM2017.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

@tmplee No...I am not asking about packages...well versed on that...you said:
     It creates the folder "1AccountsDate" in the location designated for keeping quicken backups.  Under that it creates a folder "Contents" and under that a folder "Messages".  No other files are created -- the "Contents" folder is empty except for the "Messages" folder, and that folder is empty.  If you open the package for a good backup file you do see two folders with those names (and a lot more, of course.)
    Are you talking about a Contents and Messages folder outside the package in the backup folder or are you strictly talking about those folders inside the package? The way this is phrased makes it sound like it is both. If so, I have never seen those folders created outside the package (again I am on OS X 10.6.8).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    edited October 2017
    Options

It certainly sounds like it was starting to create the package but failed before it could "package" the folders.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

If that is the case, I now understand. Thx.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Yup.  That's what it seems to be -- it starts to create the folders that would eventually be turned into a package, but gives up after just getting started.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

How can I download the latest version of Quicken for Mac (QM2007)?  I have my original 2007 CD, and am using 16.2.4 on Macbook Air (el Capitan) and iMac (Siera).  Would like to load it on my 2016 Macbook running el Capitan.  Help, please.  I wasted my money on Quicken for Mac 2017.  
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2017
    Options

So far, early reports suggest that QM2007 works with High Sierra. One exception that has surfaced is backups. 

As reported in this thread and this thread, it seems that QM2007 generates error messages when trying to create an automated backup, refusing to create one. This has only been reported using the new APFS drive format so far. No reports have confirmed if the same problem is occurring with HFS+.

Also, no reports have been made yet regarding manual backups using either the File > Backup to Disk... or the File > Save a Copy... menu option.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Has it been less than 60 days since you purchased QM2017? If so, see this:

60-day Money Back Guarantee

To move QM2007 to your MacBook, go to the app in the top level Applications folder of your MacBook Air or iMac. Right click on it and select "Compress Quicken 2007". You will end up with a .zip file. Move the .zip file to the top level Applications folder on your MacBook and double click to unzip it. (The zipping and unzipping avoids any possibility of permissions errors creeping in.)

You can move the zip file any way that works for you. You could use Dropbox or iCloud Drive. You could copy it to a thumb drive. Or you could use direct Mac to Mac file sharing.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Not to complicate this thread, but to add to smayer97's points above, I believe Quicken 2018 for Mac should be available soon (by the end of the year at the latest, I think(?)).  I do not know if it fully supports APFS or what new features it introduces.  Perhaps Quicken personnel can chime in here?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    p.s. Quicken 2018 for Mac beta testing is now complete:  https://quickenbeta.centercode.com/key/q18beta
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Not to complicate this thread, but to add to smayer97's points above, I believe Quicken 2018 for Mac should be available soon (by the end of the year at the latest, I think(?)).  I do not know if it fully supports APFS or what new features it introduces.  Perhaps Quicken personnel can chime in here?

(yes it would complicate this thread).

QM2018 is available now at some retailers. This thread should be about QM2007 only, so please take a look at the following threads for more discussion about QM2018:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/since-office-depot-has-already-spilled-the-beans...

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-2018-premier-windows-mac-feature-list

• jacobs
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @pearvolino, Quicken 2018 (as well as 2015-2017) should be fully compatible with High Sierra. (And unlike Quicken 2017 and earlier, Quicken 2018 requires at least El Capitan macOS 10.11.)

P.S. No one from Quicken typically comments on threads in this forum, except ones which announce new versions. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Mac OS 10.13 seems to work with Quicken 2007 16.2.4, HOWEVER check printing preference settings may need to be adjusted. I print on voucher checks, and the numerical amount field was not printing the cents digit after the Mac OS upgrade. I managed to fix the problem by changing the Amount Width setting to 10. This setting can be found at: (Quicken) Preferences... > Print Checks > Positioning > Amount Width.  Since the OS upgrade, the check printing font had somehow changed to American Typewriter from my previous font, Helvetica. I was able to change it back.

I would not be surprised if there are similar printing issues when printing reports.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Another user has reported QM2007 is fine...see here. It appears he is using HFS+, but no confirmation yet if automated backups are working for him.

Help, what is a Drive configuration? I just got a new SSD disk installed as old one corrupted. I dont see Drive listed under the 30-40 different items on About My Mac. Either Hardware or Software.
  • tmplee
    tmplee Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Another user has reported QM2007 is fine...see here. It appears he is using HFS+, but no confirmation yet if automated backups are working for him.

Google Drive? iCloud Drive?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I tried Save a Copy and Backup to Disc.. I always get the same error message UNABLE TO SAVE PRICES which I have for years. and I dont see a copy saved. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I guess an iCloud drive, at least I use iCloud. Where do I find that? 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

@Lee Dorsey sounds like you may have a corrupted price file. Please read the following FAQs (that I salvaged and edited from Quicken because they no longer are supported and took them down) to try to resolve: (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Will go look at that but wont 2018 be as bad as all the other new ones? There is no way I want to lose any of 2007 functionality. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    jacobs said:

Also remember that one can make a manual backup in the Finder simply by clicking on the data file and doing Command-D (Duplicate). I generally do this periodically after quitting Quicken, rather than "Save A Copy" within the program. I rename the copied file to include the date I backed it up (e.g. "Finances 2017-10-06") and keep them in a folder of backups. Having more backups than the automated ones from Quicken has bailed me out a few times that Quicken 2007 has corrupted and lost some data which I haven't discovered until many months after the fact (and after Quicken's automatic backups would have been replaced). All of us who still use Quicken 2007 know we're on borrowed time, so the more backups, the safer I feel! (And yes, I do this in addition to my Time Machine backups and periodic whole disk backups. One dead hard drive, and a failure of a backup to restore properly, will convince one to do multiple layers of backup.)

OMFG .. Thank you. I remember long ago learning about Duplicate but forgot.  I have Q set to try to make automatic at each closure so will use that to remind me to Duplicate thanks.
    Also rarely use Time Machine and had forgotten about that too. If you go back to one of those after getting you main copy garbled. and get it squared away, I guess you can then make a duplicate of new clean one.  TY again, I have records back to 1976 (some made by hand, in Quicken)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jacobs said:

Also remember that one can make a manual backup in the Finder simply by clicking on the data file and doing Command-D (Duplicate). I generally do this periodically after quitting Quicken, rather than "Save A Copy" within the program. I rename the copied file to include the date I backed it up (e.g. "Finances 2017-10-06") and keep them in a folder of backups. Having more backups than the automated ones from Quicken has bailed me out a few times that Quicken 2007 has corrupted and lost some data which I haven't discovered until many months after the fact (and after Quicken's automatic backups would have been replaced). All of us who still use Quicken 2007 know we're on borrowed time, so the more backups, the safer I feel! (And yes, I do this in addition to my Time Machine backups and periodic whole disk backups. One dead hard drive, and a failure of a backup to restore properly, will convince one to do multiple layers of backup.)

PS you should probably PIN a note to the TOP of this Thread for others who have spaced out and forgotten. Duplicate FILE, in Finder. 
    I tried Save a Copy and it said it did, could see Ghost of the file but not find actual one. ..  then couldnt find. ANYWAY with a brand new SSD now ‘corrupted’ with APFS of High Sierra its probably a moot point. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

For some it meets their needs, for others it still does not.It still has a ways to go to meet my needs. Read the post above for details about a comparison with QM2017. And see the link above for current info about new features in QM2018.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Thanks Nope, will hang in there.. But please note I would try to move to Q2018 if ‘necessary’ I did shift to 2016 but lost too much.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

p.s. Quicken 2018 for Mac beta testing is now complete:  https://quickenbeta.centercode.com/key/q18beta

Now closed I see, but I wouldn’t have enough time to be a beta tester. Keep us informed. I see below that 2018 will be compatible with High Sierra.. so that should help problems from prior ones.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    jacobs said:

@pearvolino, Quicken 2018 (as well as 2015-2017) should be fully compatible with High Sierra. (And unlike Quicken 2017 and earlier, Quicken 2018 requires at least El Capitan macOS 10.11.)

P.S. No one from Quicken typically comments on threads in this forum, except ones which announce new versions. 

So since High Sierra is now out, will be keeping eyes open for comments on 2018 after issue.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Help I tried it the Command Option L ... NOW all my copies have an Internal Error 701 ... and do not open? Can I recover one via Time Machine that will open? 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

NO, When I pull one from Time Machine I get same error.. HELP!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hmm...could be another undiscovered compatibility issue with High Sierra. Maybe the preference file got modified or something...I'm not on High Sierra so cannot help troubleshoot.

Make sure you are pulling an old enough back-up. Time Machine backs up every hour by default.

This discussion has been closed.