Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5.4 Released

Comments

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

I installed the latest update, and was horrified to see that the program rewrote some reconciled transactions as different amounts! Specifically, recurring transactions that had changed their amounts in 2017 were recorded as the 2016 amounts, even for bank transactions that had cleared correctly. There did not seem to be any way to fix these numbers, so I had to back out and restore my previous Quicken version and data file. 

We've had a beta customer report a similar issue as Pamela which is why we've stopped the 4.5 release.  He let us look at the file and we now know why his file is exhibiting the wrong balances.  We're not quite sure how to replicate Pamela's issue but she's been very kind in answering our questions.  We're still working on it.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Not sure why some people are seeing preference changes.  I don't think we changed anything there.  Is everyone seeing that issue?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017

I'm just not getting the mortgage capability.

I had my Mortgage and HELOC set up already prior to v4.5.4 being released. Now that I have upgraded to 4.5.4, I'm not seeing anything different in my Mortgage or HELOC. I don't see the graphs that are in the HELP file. I don't see amortization tables. Do I have to do something to get there?

My Morgage and HELOC are through American Airlines Federal Credit Union. Both are currently showing up unde r  the Credit Card heading as Line of Credit and the drop down for account type does not have Mortgage or Home Equity as choices.

Confused.

HELOCs are not considered loans in Quicken.  They are considered credit cards.  For your mortgage, you can definitely convert that to a loan.  Loans are a new account type.  If your mortgage was set up as a liability account you should have seen the Convert to Loan screen.  If you didn't see that screen, you can always go to the account settings and select Convert to Loan button to make it a loan.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    I did not experience any preference changes (including long/short category name) when I upgraded from 4.4.3 to 4.5.4.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • krm11
    krm11 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    None of my preferences changed from 4.4.3 to 4.5.4 either.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    No preference changes going from 4.4.3 to 4.5.4
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    JSH56 said:

Great update. Like the new loan capability. 

HOWEVER, I am now getting Loan Sync Errors on Principal and Interest. I think it is due to the fact that the loan payment calculated by Quicken is different than my actual loan payments. How can this be remedied? (I tried to add principal, but in one case, the calculated loan payment is too high)

It's an unusual to see a mortgage with a fixed interest payment, so I don't understand your math a multiplying an interest payment by the number of months you have paid. Typically interest payments start high and get smaller because the balance of the mortgage gets lower as principal payments are made. You could refer to the payment schedule to see the monthly interest payment. 
  • Michael Erb
    Michael Erb Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017

Hi All,
    The 4.5.4 release has been temporarily removed while the team investigates an issue with register balance irregularity; it appears that not all users experience this issue, but the team wants to ensure that no calculation errors occur with the product.

In the interim, if you try to update your Mac product, you'll see version 4.4.3.

Thanks for your patience!
    Quicken Kathryn

i have an account that suddenly was several thousand dollars out of wack. Before I waste time trying to re-reconcile everything, what should I do? Just wait for Quicken to figure out what's going on or do you want to see my datafile?
  • Michael Erb
    Michael Erb Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017

I had my Mortgage and HELOC set up already prior to v4.5.4 being released. Now that I have upgraded to 4.5.4, I'm not seeing anything different in my Mortgage or HELOC. I don't see the graphs that are in the HELP file. I don't see amortization tables. Do I have to do something to get there?

My Morgage and HELOC are through American Airlines Federal Credit Union. Both are currently showing up unde r  the Credit Card heading as Line of Credit and the drop down for account type does not have Mortgage or Home Equity as choices.

Confused.

I called tech support today and was instructed to change both the HELOC and Mortgage to Liabilities and only after I had done that was the option to Convert to Loan available for me to click on. 

So now I'm getting conflicting information from you as to what the HELOC should be categorized as compared to what Tech Support told me on the phone.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017

Confused.

Mortgage works fine as a loan IF you set it up correctly. The HELOC, even though it has such a setting, seems to get screwed up by changing over so I changed back. BUT ... I didn't spend much time playing with the HELOC either ... I figured since it worked fine as a "credit card" I'd leave it that way.

The only reason I changed the mortgage to a loan is so that the amortization would be correct. I didn't try using it as a liability and downloading the transactions from the mortgage company, though, which may have done the same thing (as does the HELOC).

I'm pretty satisfied with QM2017.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017

Hi All,
    The 4.5.4 release has been temporarily removed while the team investigates an issue with register balance irregularity; it appears that not all users experience this issue, but the team wants to ensure that no calculation errors occur with the product.

In the interim, if you try to update your Mac product, you'll see version 4.4.3.

Quicken Kathryn

Look for weird entries as adjustments. Mine had them on a loan. I honestly have no clue if they were there when I converted from QM2007 or if they were added later, but removing the adjustments made everything fine.
  • RickO
    edited May 2017

Hi All,

Quicken Kathryn

@Michael Erb,

Look for placeholder transactions (light gray at the beginning of the register with "placeholder" in the memo). Probably labeled as "balance adjustment". Deleting these can bring the register back into balance.

Per Marcus' recent post, they are looking into this. But once you delete the placeholders, the balances appear to stay stable.

If this doesn't fix it for you, then you might be in the situation that Pamela is in, where previously entered transactions have their amounts changed. That's more difficult, and Marcus may want to get a copy of your file to help them track that one down.

So please report back if deleting placeholders fixes it, or it's something else.
  • Steve122@
    Steve122@ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    JSH56 said:

HOWEVER, I am now getting Loan Sync Errors on Principal and Interest. I think it is due to the fact that the loan payment calculated by Quicken is different than my actual loan payments. How can this be remedied? (I tried to add principal, but in one case, the calculated loan payment is too high)

Hi James,

The monthly payments in my calculation includes principal + interest. So,

(monthly payment) * (number of payments made) = Total Principal + Total Interest 

that has been paid so far.  From the payment schedule, Quicken showed the correct Total Principal paid. So, if I subtract that off, I will get the Total Interest that I paid.  This doesn't agree with the Total Interest that is shown in the payment schedule.

Steve
  • Mike Molloy
    Mike Molloy Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    RickO said:

Just updated to 4.5.4. It went smoothly except that my investment balances where all out of whack.

On further investigation, I found that opening balance placeholder transactions had been entered in several of the accounts. In one case, there was a $300,000+ positive opening balance adjustment added for an account that has an approximate $4,000 balance.

After deleting these erroneous placeholders, all balances returned to normal. Note that this only affected the cash balances in the accounts, not the quantities of security holdings.

I have this problem, too, using Version 4.5.5 (Build 45.17476.100)

I have an account that after updating, had an "Add Shares" transaction from when the acct was created. I can delete the transaction, but it returns when I next update the account. 

It's confusing, because the added shares are from a security that changed names since the acct started. (MHFI --> SPGI). 

Probably didn't do it exactly right, but made some correcting transactions to account for the shares coming in on the Add Shares, and it seems to have corrected things, even after another update. 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    No changes in preference settings after upgrade
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Straz said:

You report having gotten a lot of complaints before about splits changing the first split line from others, but for me, the previous behavior of updating the first split line to keep the overall total unchanged was exactly what I wanted. Since the upgrade, my current cash entry, in which I start with $500 from my bank's ATM, and later document where it all went, is no longer automatically in the first line to keep the total unchanged. Instead, it adds a correcting entry to the bottom each time I add a detail line, forcing me to use a calculator to figure out the needed correction to apply manually to the first line of the split after my changes. If I understand correctly, this won't happen the next time I create such an entry, so long as I never manually edit that first line's amount. We'll see. Meanwhile, I wish there were an option to turn off the new behavior for those of us that liked it the old way.

@jacobs great idea, thank you for mentioning it here
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    RickO said:

Just updated to 4.5.4. It went smoothly except that my investment balances where all out of whack.

On further investigation, I found that opening balance placeholder transactions had been entered in several of the accounts. In one case, there was a $300,000+ positive opening balance adjustment added for an account that has an approximate $4,000 balance.

After deleting these erroneous placeholders, all balances returned to normal. Note that this only affected the cash balances in the accounts, not the quantities of security holdings.

Richard, The new loan feature will add adjustments automatically to connected accounts so that the downloaded account balance matches the register.  This is a new feature of loans.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017

Confused.

HELOCs should be treated as credit cards in Quicken.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    John Pane said:

Hi Marcus, I was wondering if I should expect any response to my detailed post in the prior thread regarding new difficulties accessing Quicken data off an AFP server?

John, I was able to test this and confirm I'm seeing the same thing you are.  I guess we must have changed something to trigger the Start from scratch dialog.  Not sure what but I'll write up a ticket and will chat with our dev team.  Not sure when or if we can fix it but wanted to let you know I see the same behavior.

If you did want to move forward with 4.5.x, I can give you some suggestions to make it less painful (although it's not as easy as before).  1) When you get to the New screen simply go to the File menu and select Open Recent and pick your previous file.  At the Intuit ID sign in, simply close it and then use Open Recent to open the file again.  it won't prompt you on the second time.  Thanks for reporting this issue.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    John Pane said:

Hi Marcus, I was wondering if I should expect any response to my detailed post in the prior thread regarding new difficulties accessing Quicken data off an AFP server?

Thank you very much Marcus. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017

Confused.

Re: HELOCs... if they are to be treated as credit cards, you might want to remove the option to change them to a HELOC loan!
  • Steve122@
    Steve122@ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    JSH56 said:

Marcus,

I hope you see this and pass it on to your developers.

I figured out how Quicken is calculating "Total Interest" shown in the Payment Schedule when you enter data for a loan that you've already been making payments for, and it's a bug.

Let L = loan amount, c = monthly interest, N = number of monthly payments made so far.  Quicken is calculating (incorrectly) the Total Interest paid after N monthly payments as

Total Interest Quicken (wrong) =  (L * c) * N

In the above, (L * c) is amount of interest paid with the first payment. Quicken is simply multiplying this by the number of payments made so far, which is not correct.

As mentioned in my previous post, the Total Interest after N monthly payments P of principal and interest should be:

Total Interest = P * N - (Total Principal paid after N payments)

Steve
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    I updated to 4.5.4, switched my loans over to the new system, and updated my accounts. Then, due to unrelated computer problems, I had to reload macOS from scratch. I've reinstalled Quicken, but for some reason it won't update past 4.4.3.

As a result, it refuses to open my data file, indicating that I need to update Quicken...except when I click Quicken > Check for Updates..., it states, "You're up-to-date! Quicken 2017 4.4.3 is currently the newest version available."

How can I update my new installation of Quicken 2017 to 4.5.4?
  • cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Just a nit with 4.5.4, not even enough to call a bug.

The blue dot indicating an updated account will remain in the Account List if you leave the account display and go to a report and then go to a different account.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    CJ said:

I updated to 4.5.4, switched my loans over to the new system, and updated my accounts. Then, due to unrelated computer problems, I had to reload macOS from scratch. I've reinstalled Quicken, but for some reason it won't update past 4.4.3.

As a result, it refuses to open my data file, indicating that I need to update Quicken...except when I click Quicken > Check for Updates..., it states, "You're up-to-date! Quicken 2017 4.4.3 is currently the newest version available."

CJ: The reason you can't update to 4.5.4 currently is that they froze the update last week to investigate a reported bug affecting a very small number of people. They'll probably have a new release sometime next week, but that doesn't help you now. I'd suggest you contact Quicken Support (quicken.com/contact-support) to see if they can give you a way to download 4.5.4 in the meantime because of your circumstances.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    edited May 2017
    CJ said:

Quicken 4.5.x release has been put on hold right now while the developers look at a possible bug. That creates a major problem for someone in your situation since the old version won't open the data file once it's been converted.

You really only have two options:

1) Wait until they start releasing 4.5.x again, hopefully early this week, or 

2) Contact Quicken Support (Quicken Support). Hopefully they will make 4.5.x available to you on a special case basis since you had already converted.

One suggestion for the future (won't help you now)... Whenever there's a release of a significant update for my mission-critical software (Quicken qualifies), before updating, I go to the Applications folder and compress the old version. Then I have that zip file in case I need to revert to the older version. It won't work for some apps that have more complex installation architectures, but it works fine for Quicken.
  • Moe
    Moe Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Hi All,

Quicken Kathryn

I updated to 4.4.3 and one of my credit accounts is off by more than 40,000.  I don't see any place keepers or balance adjustments. I thought all was good so I have downloaded a lot of transaction so I am afraid to go back to 2016.  Not sure what to do.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    CJ said:

Dang, you guys are good! Makes sense. I could always restore the old version from backup (I include applications in my backups), but I can probably just wait it out.
  • RickO
    edited May 2017

Hi All,

Quicken Kathryn

That's such a big discrepancy I would think that you could find the source by searching through the register.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017

Hi All,

Quicken Kathryn

Moe do you know how to find the Placeholders? They are found at the beginning of the register , in light gray. 
This discussion has been closed.