Maintain ability to run 2 copies of Quicken for Mac simultaneously (20 Legacy Votes)

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Product Enhancements
In the past, it was quite simple to run 2 versions of Quicken at the same time because the versions, and the associated resources (preference file, Application Support files, etc) were differentiated by the associated year version, e.g. Quicken 2015, Quicken 2016, Quicken 2017

As of 2018, as Quicken moves away from the version numbering using the year, e.g. Quicken 2017 to just Quicken, please be sure to maintain some way to continue to be able to run 2 different versions of Quicken at the same time. Otherwise, with the loss of the year #, there may be resource contentions that prevent this from happening.

Some use cases that require running 2 versions side by side:
  • needed when trying to compare results of upgrading
  • comparing data from 2 sets of data files
  • testing beta version while still running live data version
If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted! Your VOTE matters!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

11 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests for Data and File Management Features and the List of Miscellaneous RequestsYou may want to click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

Remember to click "FOLLOW" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Bob Myers
    Bob Myers Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I think that this capability already exists.  When I upgraded to 2018, a new "Quicken" directories were set up in the Application and Application Support directories.  The old "Quicken 2017" directories were preserved.  I am able to run both instances at the same time.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

I think that this capability already exists.  When I upgraded to 2018, a new "Quicken" directories were set up in the Application and Application Support directories.  The old "Quicken 2017" directories were preserved.  I am able to run both instances at the same time.

That's true. But what this refers to is versions of QM18 and beyond. Like running QM19 and QM18 together. Right now, that's not going to work since they both have the same app name. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited August 2018
    I would go even further to say it would be good to be able to run ".x" versions simultaneously (e.g., run 4.5.1 and 4.6.1 at the same time). There are times when I don't want to update my production copy until testing out the new release for myself. Tax time would be a good example of this. 
  • RickO
    edited August 2018
    At least as it stands, you can at least run two versions back to back on the same machine. But one must take great care not to accidentally open the same data file with both versions (since each version would automatically open the last opened file from either version). One would have to switch to a dummy file each time before closing the app. Quite a pain. Makes me glad I have a secondary computer that I can run new versions on in parallel while evaluating.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

At least as it stands, you can at least run two versions back to back on the same machine. But one must take great care not to accidentally open the same data file with both versions (since each version would automatically open the last opened file from either version). One would have to switch to a dummy file each time before closing the app. Quite a pain. Makes me glad I have a secondary computer that I can run new versions on in parallel while evaluating.

Not all are so lucky  ;-p

• frank6
    frank6 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I too want to have open two data files at the same time.  I like to keep my personal file open on 2018 and also my mom's on 2017.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I too want to have open two data files at the same time.  I like to keep my personal file open on 2018 and also my mom's on 2017.

QM2018 and QM2017 can be run simultaneously....BUT later updates to QM2018 may (probably will) not unless this is addressed.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    @smayer97: I understand the request, and as someone who helps support others on this forum, I might find it useful. I'm just not sure how feasible an idea this is, since different versions of the program would use the same support files. Working around that would require them to go back to individual, unique applications -- but that would inconvenience 99% of users who will just want seamless updates and not having multiple versions. It hasn't ever been possible to simultaneously run two versions of the same year's product -- e.g. Quicken 2017 v4.6.0 and Quicken 2017 v4.6.7 -- so I'm not sure how this would become feasible with Quicken v5.x and beyond. Also, because users won't be lagging behind on significantly older versions than the current one, the need for an older 5.x version for troubleshooting won't be what it has been in the past. 

I think the workaround solution would be to create one or more separate User accounts on your Mac. You could create a user just for Quicken testing, and install an older or newer version there. Or create a separate user for each separate version of Quicken you want to be able to run independently. While it doesn't quite enable side-by-side viewing, it's easy to flip back and forth between logged-in user accounts in a couple seconds. 

P.S. In your use case examples, beta testing is likely not an issue, because betas are typically named Quicken Beta and set up their own support files separate from the production releases.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

@smayer97: I understand the request, and as someone who helps support others on this forum, I might find it useful. I'm just not sure how feasible an idea this is, since different versions of the program would use the same support files. Working around that would require them to go back to individual, unique applications -- but that would inconvenience 99% of users who will just want seamless updates and not having multiple versions. It hasn't ever been possible to simultaneously run two versions of the same year's product -- e.g. Quicken 2017 v4.6.0 and Quicken 2017 v4.6.7 -- so I'm not sure how this would become feasible with Quicken v5.x and beyond. Also, because users won't be lagging behind on significantly older versions than the current one, the need for an older 5.x version for troubleshooting won't be what it has been in the past. 

I think the workaround solution would be to create one or more separate User accounts on your Mac. You could create a user just for Quicken testing, and install an older or newer version there. Or create a separate user for each separate version of Quicken you want to be able to run independently. While it doesn't quite enable side-by-side viewing, it's easy to flip back and forth between logged-in user accounts in a couple seconds. 

P.S. In your use case examples, beta testing is likely not an issue, because betas are typically named Quicken Beta and set up their own support files separate from the production releases.

Thx. Good reminder about work-arounds...that said, I don't need to be informed about the reasons why it may not work...believe me, there are many ways to make this work. Without knowing how Quicken's internals work, there is no way to propose a solution but there are...then again, it is not about anyone finding the solution either...that is Quicken's work....case in point, if they can make it work for beta versions, they can make it work for any. This should not be a highly complex problem to find a simply solution.

The issue is not whether there are obstacles, the question is if there is enough interest or valid reasons to make this happen. And I believe the first 2 are plenty enough reasons...

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

for consideration?