8/3/18: Quicken Mobile app update available

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Thanks. I did the same as well but don’t expect it will last long. Let’s see.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    KB said:

WF not working for me so far with the update.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    KB said:

I had to go through the WF fmssetup twice to get it to work.

No guarantees it will stick. Will report back
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    JayBugs said:

Major category display and handling issues: hidden categories appearing when categorizing transactions, External Transfer vs. Transfer, and Credit Card Payment SUB-category of Tax Spouse.

Using latest Quicken Premier 2017 R17.2 Build 26.1.17.2 US with iOS Quicken Mobile 5.1 I'm seeing 3 issues around the categories list shown when applying, or changing, the category on a transaction:

1. When selecting a category, HIDDEN categories ARE shown. That is, the many many categories that I've hidden over the years and don't use/see on the desktop ARE showing in the mobile app. This can cause items to be categorized into unused categories. Hidden categories should be hidden at all times.

2. The category list includes a category named External Transfer. (Alphabetically at E in the list.) It does NOT contain a category named Transfer anyplace. However, when I add a NEW transaction in the mobile app and select a payee name that exists and for which I would normally assign a transfer category on the desktop, the category is prefilled for me with the category Transfer. (And once I save that transaction I can't edit anything on it YET as you noted in the release notes.) Checking the desktop application, there is NO External Transfer category.

3. In the mobile app ONLY (and not on the desktop) there is a category named Credit Card Payment which is a SUB-category of Tax Spouse. Checking the desktop application, there is NO External Transfer category. Checking the desktop application, there is NO Credit Card Payment category.

UPDATE: After updating to iOS app version 5.2.0 (38.11335.4012) with updated Quicken Premier 2017 R17.4 Build 26.1.17.4 I'm seeing the following based on the issue numbering in the posting above:

1. STILL AN ISSUE: hidden categories ARE STILL appearing when categorizing transactions

2. STILL AN ISSUE: External Transfer vs. Transfer. External Transfer category is still there in mobile app and not in desktop.

3. FIXED: Credit Card Payment SUB-category of Tax Spouse NO LONGER APPEARS. Thanks for the fix!

More on the still messed up mobile budgets soon...
    -Jay
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Well as expected the Wells Fargo direct connect is still not working, won’t stay logged in For more than a few hours without throwing an error
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

The Mobile App updated yesterday, all it says is improved performance and the map portion of the app is now working.  Went onto WFB and did the same thing in the past and it did not work, tried it a 2nd time and the app is now syncing with WFB.  At least for the last 6 hours.  Let you know if it continues...

Same problem
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Nathan B said:

I'm on Android and Quicken 2018 membership.   Still have not been able to get the update to the new version on my or the wifes phone.  Still no budget (have the lasting disabled notice).  Is there anything I can do?  Is it possible I just have not hit the "wave" for the update?  I show latest update to be Dec 2017.

UPDATE: I’ve upgraded to iOS version 5.2.0 (with Windows Quicken 2017 R17.4) and, as in the release notes, budget items DO now show in alphabetical order, but with CONTINUING ISSUES as to what is shown under Personal Expenses level vs. what is shown under sub-categories. (As well as the “of $” being totally wrong still.)

Example:

When I tap on Personal Expenses, I’m shown categories (in part) of:

Auto : Car Sharing

Auto : Fuel

Auto : Reg, park, AAA

Auto : Service

Bank Charge

Cat & Dog     >

Charity

Commute

Note that the sub-categories of the Auto category are showing directly in the Personal Expenses list, where as the category Cat & Dog has a greater than sign after it to the right which when tapped shows two sub-categories of Food & Litter and Vet. In this budget in the desktop Quicken these both appear as categories (Auto and Cat & Dog) with indented sub-categories under them. There is no difference that I can see between them in the desktop Quicken, yet in the mobile Quicken they are handled in this totally differing way. Why? Bug or feature?

In addition, the budget balance amounts left (the second number “$12 of $345”) are all TOTALLY wrong. And I mean way off by hundreds or thousands of dollars for a single category. The actual spending (the first number of $12 of $345) is correct.

ARE OTHERS SEEING INCORRECT REMAINING BALANCES IN BUDGETS?

-Jay
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Nathan B said:

I'm on Android and Quicken 2018 membership.   Still have not been able to get the update to the new version on my or the wifes phone.  Still no budget (have the lasting disabled notice).  Is there anything I can do?  Is it possible I just have not hit the "wave" for the update?  I show latest update to be Dec 2017.

Agree. In fact I don't even look at that anymore as the numbers don't resemble anything
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Today I was on the phone with support for 70 minutes.  The rep was very professional and knowledgeable about PC and Mobile portion of Quicken.  We went through several steps and the PC works fine, was working fine anyway.  This is what he had to say about the Mobile with banks that request verification.  He stated many banks are requesting verification from mobile apps such as Quicken.  Even though if you use the Wells Fargo App it does not request verification, it works with username and password every-time.   He stated that in Wells Fargo case they have done this on their own and Quicken at the moment convince to change the process.  All my other cards, loans, etc all work fine and don't require a 2nd verification code, which is a pain.

It is what it is and for the time being it won't change.  Wells Fargo fix it works for only about 3-6 hours and then you have to do it again.  Your PC and your mobile will sync manually fine and the transactions you download from Wells Fargo or any other Bank that uses this system will sync back and forth manually.  The only thing that won't sync is the Mobile to Wells Fargo Bank, unless you request the code first prior to going on the bank....

We can talk about this until were blue in the face, but it won't change until Wells Fargo and Quicken agree to a more advanced sync process; that I believe Quicken is working on.  So it's really not Quickens fault for this, it is just a extra layer of security that Wells Fargo has put into place when you use Quicken mobile to Wells Fargo Bank. 

• Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Today I was on the phone with support for 70 minutes.  The rep was very professional and knowledgeable about PC and Mobile portion of Quicken.  We went through several steps and the PC works fine, was working fine anyway.  This is what he had to say about the Mobile with banks that request verification.  He stated many banks are requesting verification from mobile apps such as Quicken.  Even though if you use the Wells Fargo App it does not request verification, it works with username and password every-time.   He stated that in Wells Fargo case they have done this on their own and Quicken at the moment convince to change the process.  All my other cards, loans, etc all work fine and don't require a 2nd verification code, which is a pain.

It is what it is and for the time being it won't change.  Wells Fargo fix it works for only about 3-6 hours and then you have to do it again.  Your PC and your mobile will sync manually fine and the transactions you download from Wells Fargo or any other Bank that uses this system will sync back and forth manually.  The only thing that won't sync is the Mobile to Wells Fargo Bank, unless you request the code first prior to going on the bank....

We can talk about this until were blue in the face, but it won't change until Wells Fargo and Quicken agree to a more advanced sync process; that I believe Quicken is working on.  So it's really not Quickens fault for this, it is just a extra layer of security that Wells Fargo has put into place when you use Quicken mobile to Wells Fargo Bank. 

I appreciate the time you took talking to technical support but I think the guy you talked to was full of it.  After many months of not working, it was fixed a couple of months or so ago and was working fine until the latest Quicken Mobile update.  I find it hard to believe that Wells Fargo made a change perfectly synchronized with the release of the Quicken Mobile update.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

Totally agree. Wells Fargo didn’t change anything. These problems didn’t start until quicken made their changes. It’s a Quicken issue for sure
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

I'm not disagreeing, just stating the conversation.  And at this point I have given up on using the mobile.  I'll check back in about 6 months from now.  At least the PC still works. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

The Mobile App updated yesterday, all it says is improved performance and the map portion of the app is now working.  Went onto WFB and did the same thing in the past and it did not work, tried it a 2nd time and the app is now syncing with WFB.  At least for the last 6 hours.  Let you know if it continues...

FWIW my three USAA accounts still won't sync with the latest mobile app.
  • Ken Templin
    Ken Templin Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken mobile is not loading.

Quicken mobile version 5.2.0 (38.11335.4012) is not loading what seems to be larger source files.  Cloud files created in Quicken Home & Business for Windows (Year 2018, R12.15, Build 27.1.12.15) and Quicken Home & Business for Mac (Year 2018, V5.8.0, Build 58.24400.100) with file sizes in Windows 172 MB and Mac 215.6 MB will not load.  Cloud files created in Windows with a file size of 16 KB loads with no issues.
  • Nunya
    Nunya Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    is there a way to revert to the older version?  I way beyond dislike this new version.

now have to enter in a  decimal point  for transactions. formerly if I put in 11685 it would come up 116.85.

Can no longer search transactions by amount only company name.  such a time waster!

attaching transactions is hard, when I finally located how to do it in this version,   if I click on camera library appears.  not enough space for the field. Another time waster. 

Since the update my mobile synch gets stuck and I have to hard boot our of the desktop. A real time waster and maddening.

I could care LESS about all the budget stuff.  If I want to see that I'll work from my desktop.  

I use the mobile app primarily to photo my receipts and attach them to a transaction.    I search by amount. never company name, as this sometimes changes on the credit card charge.  

took me 20 minutes to figure out that you have to IGNORE THE MENU and click on the type of account, eg. Credit under banking and credit account  on the home page and then the specific account to get to detailed transactions rather than selecting account on the menu, which only tells you the name of the credit card and whether it was active or not.    If you are going to have a menu, you should have it be the primary way of navigating.  I know all you 20 somethings now want minimalistic screens which make it extremely difficult for we old folks - you know the ones who actually have a lot of money and need your program  - to navigate. 

sorry but if the app is working correctly this is the absolutely worst update I could possibly imagine and will force me to change financial programs.

Please tell me how to revert to the earlier version.  Thanks.
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Nunya said:

is there a way to revert to the older version?  I way beyond dislike this new version.

now have to enter in a  decimal point  for transactions. formerly if I put in 11685 it would come up 116.85.

Can no longer search transactions by amount only company name.  such a time waster!

attaching transactions is hard, when I finally located how to do it in this version,   if I click on camera library appears.  not enough space for the field. Another time waster. 

Since the update my mobile synch gets stuck and I have to hard boot our of the desktop. A real time waster and maddening.

I could care LESS about all the budget stuff.  If I want to see that I'll work from my desktop.  

I use the mobile app primarily to photo my receipts and attach them to a transaction.    I search by amount. never company name, as this sometimes changes on the credit card charge.  

took me 20 minutes to figure out that you have to IGNORE THE MENU and click on the type of account, eg. Credit under banking and credit account  on the home page and then the specific account to get to detailed transactions rather than selecting account on the menu, which only tells you the name of the credit card and whether it was active or not.    If you are going to have a menu, you should have it be the primary way of navigating.  I know all you 20 somethings now want minimalistic screens which make it extremely difficult for we old folks - you know the ones who actually have a lot of money and need your program  - to navigate. 

sorry but if the app is working correctly this is the absolutely worst update I could possibly imagine and will force me to change financial programs.

I ditto all of this.  If the data isn't right, why screw around with the budget part of the program.  Get all the data issues fixed first.  Then attack budget issues.  And why even bother with budget on the mobile app at all?  And the photos used for attachments used to be save on the phone and not just attached.  That was good in case Quicken file became corrupted and attachments were lost.  There was at least a backup to all of the attachments photos.  But now there is not.
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Nunya said:

I agree that data being correct is top priority, but as to, “And why even bother with budget on the mobile app at all,” we use (or used to when it existed and worked last year) the budget daily to make decisions about eating out or not, making a purchase, or anything else where we need to quickly and easily see how we are doing this month against our budget before we spend.

Clearly the desktop app would be useless for that kind of decision.
    -Jay
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Nunya said:

OK that's cool.  You, sir, are highly disciplined.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Nunya said:

I don’t care for budgets. If others do, that’s understandable, but just get the app to work Quicken. It’s really bad.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Nunya said:

Saw an update for Quicken Mobile App and was excited that maybe the sync issue was corrected at least but still not.  

Adding receipts and other changes made on the app will still NOT upload into Quicken.  I use categories and tags to assist in separation of entries and the desktop app and mobile app will not sync.  It was so very easy to add a receipt along with category and tag to the mobile and it would upload to Quicken.  Didn't always match to an already downloaded transaction but I was ok with the occasional correction on my end.  Sometimes the desktop entry (older) would overwrite what was on the mobile app entry (newer) but I even just used caution for that as it was occasional.  Now it doesn't appear much like the desktop and the mobile even talk to each other.  Yes, i can download entries on the mobile and on the desktop but the two don't update each other.  Added receipts, changes in tags and categories in the desktop do not appear on the mobile and vice versa.  I'm amassing a ton of receipts that I'm afraid will not sync and will poof once the two start talking to each other again.

PLEASE FIX or go back to what was working!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Nunya said:

I spent about 2 hours on the phone in an effort to resolve an sync issue on my investment accounts only.  The individual that was helping me seemed very capable of resolving this, but finally admitted that she would have to send it up ladder for higher review.  I am a 30 year user of Quicken and this is somewhat frustrating....      Certainly needs someones attention right away....
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2019

KB, Is it frustrating the number of problems people are experiencing? Sure. But just because they haven't been able to solve all the problems yet doesn't mean anyone is ignoring the issues. Go back and re-read the post by the product manager that started this thread. I see no reason to doubt that the mobile development team is listening and trying to make improvements; do you? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

Except that at least with attachments, the mobile version has gone backwards in the latest release.  There seems to be no testing whatsoever.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2019

Disagree that Quicken is listening. They’ve had mobile problems for over 3 years (since 2015 release). And the one statement that started this thread was 2 months ago. I’m in and know software and this is not how a mature company should act.
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    KB said:

Quicken users are trying so hard to get some attention

Quicken executives: Ignore, ignore, ignore

I too think Quicken is doing a poor job here with providing responses. I’ve worked on and managed both development and QA teams and this isn’t the best way to handle a new release. The initial email from 2 months ago was helpful and set some expectations, but the only follow up I’ve seen is one single response message asking if I’m using budget rollovers when I get my totally wrong budget values in mobile.

It would be far more helpful to respond to more messages, letting the poster know if they are seeing the issue, if others are privately reporting the issue as well by email, and their basic plan for dealing with it. It is fine to do so while making clear that there can be no firm commitments of timeline as this is software and likely the person managing these forums isn’t a developer.
    -Jay
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    You and I agree. So for now, I deleted the Quicken mobile app. And also looking for other options.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    KB said:

Quicken users are trying so hard to get some attention

Quicken executives: Ignore, ignore, ignore

@JayBugs: Quicken has never done a good job of communications with users or transparency. I plead for them to do better at times, but their company culture is mostly to keep their heads down and work on solutions rather than communicate about what they have found and are working on. I have experienced this with other software development companies as well; they listen (at times) and work behind the scenes to try to address issues, but don’t devote time to communicating. Those of us who are Mac users benefit from product manager Marcus posting on this forum from time to time, and I have noticed the forum moderators are getting info from the developers and posting here more than they used to. But all in all, it’s not as much communication as most users would like.

@Arthur: I am not going to defend Quicken’s track record with software releases. I will say, though, that it’s apparent that the software is complex, and with all the variables of hundreds of thousands of users’ data and thousands of financial institutions making ongoing changes, no amount of internal and beta testing is going to uncover every problem. Can they do better? Probably. Can they never ship software with bugs? No.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Arthur Begun
    Arthur Begun Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Even the desktop version (Home and Business 2017) is behaving badly with Wells Fargo.  Although Wells Fargo pays checked entered for electronic payment, sometimes the match never comes from the bank and the check is never marked cleared by Quicken.  This is intermittent beginning about a month ago.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Deleting Quicken for Mobile.  Too frustrating.  Now, can't get entries made on the mobile app to sync or even update to Quicken.  Account is selected and when new entries come in from the credit card they show up in Quicken mobile so they do talk.  Just always loved having the receipt right out of the gas pump reader and immediately entering it  along with a pic of the receipt, right on the mobile before I pulled away.  Wait for it to reconcile on the desktop then dispose with the receipt.  Now, not even that.  This is probably the main reason I even went to Quicken several years ago.  We use Concur at work and I can upload business receipts very dependably.  Concur even reads vendors, costs, tax amounts, splits out hotel room charges.  Never ever expected Quicken to do that but for crying out loud, sync my receipt to my desktop please!!!!!  Just, go back to early September and give us back that version of Quicken Mobile app.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Whoever finds a good option please let everyone here know what it is.  I am looking for one too.
This discussion has been closed.