Make Splits in Register Variable Width (and Visibility & Order) in Quicken for Mac (31 Legacy Votes)

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Display/UI

Right now the width of split transactions is fixed. The current width is quite narrow to be able to see the data entered, especially in the Tag and Transfer fields. But if you widen the register, the fields in the split screen do not change width.

You may use the current widths as a minimum size but please allow the fields to widen when the register is widened, especially on larger monitors. 

An alternative solution might be make fields wider by default or match the wider field width in the register. If there would be an issue with narrow windows, make it so that if the screen is too small, you could offer a user preference to either show narrower fields, down to the current width being used, or show the splits into a 2-line mode.

See below for additional comments about the layout of split transactions.

If you would like to see this functionality in Quicken Mac, click the black up arrow under the vote counter in the yellow box under this post. You must VOTE to have your view counted! 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

17 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Under consideration 9/12 - CTP-7537

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may also want to add your VOTE for other features related to User Interface Options and Features

First
    , click on the 
    underlined link, then be sure to scroll down the page, as it contains a list of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Click on each link above, then be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Then VOTE on EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Jeff B
    Jeff B Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    In Split transactions - how do I hide the "Tags" and "Transfer" columns?        The "Columns" tool doesn't seem to apply to splits, I have Tags unchecked there but they still appear in the split.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Hi Jeff,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. To help us provide you with the most appropriate answer, please let us know which Quicken product (QWin or QMac), what version (2016, 2017, etc.) and what release you have installed. Also, let us know whether you are using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Jeff B
    Jeff B Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    sorry thought i was posting in the "Quicken Mac" forum..     I'm running  Quicken Mac 2017 USA.   Thanks!
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Jeff

Unfortunately you are stuck with the Tag and Transfer columns in splits in QMac - I do not know of any way to eliminate these.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Jeff B
    Jeff B Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Guess it's another request then...    while I'm at it would love to be able to rearrange the columns in splits, with the amount  after the memo rather than before.      
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Specifically, another related idea to this is:
    Add Ability to Scroll through (and Edit?) Split data in "Child" Transfer Transactions

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

• Bill VanLoh
    Bill VanLoh Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Is there a way to increase the width of the information boxes in split transactions? These are the boxes that appear to the right of amounts paid, and beneath the word "Total".  To keep adequately detailed records, I often find a need to include more text for some split transactions, more than can be viewed in the "box" for splits. I can enter more text, but it goes beyond the right edge of the info box and can only be seen by right-scrolling through the text. It would be nice to have somewhat larger boxes (from left-to-right)  or even adjustable boxes, which would allow more of the entered text to be seen. Could that be added to an update? Thanks
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    That's the Notes field you're describing. Unfortunately, none of the fields in a split have an adjustable width. I think it would be better for the split lines to simply mirror the column widths in the register for all the columns.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Bill VanLoh
    Bill VanLoh Member ✭✭✭
    For me, there would not be an advantage for the Notes field to line up exactly with the Balance field. However, if Notes had its own adjustable width, as do Payee, Category, Payment, Deposit, and Balance... that would be helpful. Thanks
  • jacobs
    @Bill VanLoh None of the fields have an adjustable width in a split. And yes, I think they should all be adjustable. I just think the simplest way to do that would be to have the split lines exactly mirror the main transaction line just above them, including column widths and column rearrangement, rather than having a different order and different widths. And if I don't use tags or notes, and hide those columns in a register, then they shouldn't be visible in splits.
  • John C.
    John C. Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The tag field, as well as the transfer window, category window and Memo/notes field, are all too small when you are looking at the details of a split transaction. All of those fields need to be wider or able to be re-sized.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2019
    I agree! I'll make a "friendly amendment" to add that it would be good if the fields in the split honored which columns are viewable or not (e.g. if a user has Tags or Memo/Notes hidden in a register, they should be hidden in the split as well). It would be best if the fields in the split followed the column order as well as width as the user has set in the register.

The split window is a carryover from the 2010-era Quicken Essentials. I suspect it would actually require work to re-write to implement any/all of these changes. The developers have generally focused most of their efforts on adding features which are completely missing from Quicken Mac, rather than making small aesthetic and functional enhancements to features which already exist. Hopefully they'll be able to have a User Interface developer tackle this idea.
  • jacobs
    @John C. I asked a moderator to move this post to the Mac Product Ideas category, which enables the voting feature on this site. In the blue box above, click the small gray arrow under the vote count to register your vote for this idea. The more votes an Idea gets, the more likely it is to grab the attention of the developers.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

For this, you can add your VOTE to Show/Hide columns in splits.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a few seconds for your vote to register).

• I'd rather see the ability to adjust as I see fit rather than molding to someone's idea of what the width should be. It's truly beyond me why everything isn't adjustable. Are these aspects adjustable in the more expensive versions? But, I shouldn't even have to consider that. Sigh.
  • jacobs
    No, the user interface is the same in all levels of Quicken Mac subscription.

The issue here is pretty simple: the window for splits was mostly inherited from the predecessor program, the 2010 Quicken Essentials for Mac, which formed the code base for the modern Quicken Mac when it was released in late 2014. Parts of the inherited interface and operations have been scrapped and re-written over time to improve and expand the functionality of Quicken Mac, but the design of the splits window hasn't yet been re-visited. The developers have seemed to put most of their time and effort over these ensuing years into building missing capabilities into the program -- loans, budgets, reports, rules for Payees, etc. -- and not as much to making aesthetic enhancements which might make the program a little easier to use. 

And as reflected in the currently-small vote count for this feature request, this has not been an issue Quicken Mac users have appeared to be particularly passionate about compared to various other issues which have been addressed in recent years. Anyone reading this thread who agrees that the splits window should be redesigned to offer the functionality of the main transaction register -- fields which are displayed or hidden, re-sizeable, and re-orderable as set by the user in the register -- should vote for this idea by scrolling up to the first post above, and clicking the small gray triangle in the blue box at the bottom of that post such that the count increases by one. 
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello All 

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the Age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to Add your Vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

~~~***~~~
  • jacobs
    edited September 2020
    @Quicken_Tyka  I would say that this is still a very desirable feature change. While this post doesn't have a lot of votes, I'd suggest that's due more to the search-ability and somewhat cryptic way of voting on this platform. This idea keeps coming up in other posts; they just haven't all been merged. For instance, here's one that came up earlier this year which is asking for the same functionality change on the splits window:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7851238/more-space-for-text-in-split-transactions-window-q-mac

Here's another, which is older than the other two.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7345216/make-split-transactions-in-account-register-a-variable-width-in-quicken-for-mac-21-legacy-votes

(I believe posts like that one from the older community platform that have four pages of instructions about voting for other topics were well-intentioned but overwhelmed users and led to them not getting a lot of votes.)

And another, which you just proposed to delete:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7611203/show-hide-columns-in-splits#latest

Perhaps you want to merge some of these threads and their votes?  I know there are others, too, because I remember reading/commenting on more than just these. People use different verbiage to describe what's needed, even though they're describing the same need/problems.

But please don't archive the idea; the splits window came over from the old Essentials code, and because it was functional, it's understandable why the developers have left it alone and devoted their time to other more pressing issues. But it's something the developers really ought to be encouraged to revisit to make the splits window reflect the register's columns which are shown/hidden, their order, and their width. Thanks.
  • jacobs
    edited September 2020
    [obsolete comment after multiple idea threads were merged into this one]
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @jacobs

Thank you for the response and the sleuthing to find the additional threads for this Idea.

This is now being forwarded for consideration, I will be sure to provide any updates as more information and details become available.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    EXCEPT the LAST thread is DIFFERENT idea... It is to select WHICH columns show up in the split lines. This should NOT have been merged... please restore.

• jacobs
    @smayer97  I disagree about separating these ideas. Or rather, while I agree that these could all be separate requests -- one for which columns show up, one for matching the column order of the register, one for changing the width of the columns -- I think it's fine, and desirable in fact, for the developers to see these related requests together. If they're going to re-write the user interface of the splits window to address any of these issues, it makes sense for them to address all of them together. (As separate posts, none of these attracted enough votes to get forwarded to the developers; combined, the idea will now be forwarded to the developers, which is what we want.)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree in principle except that the idea for being able to select WHICH columns appear and their order is lost in the comments and I have observed MANY times were the comments are not reviewed and therefore not incorporated into the idea submission to the developers, as even you have acknowledged in the past.

Even now, the title and OP do not capture these other merged ideas.

• padrino
    padrino Member

two problems:

1. cannot change order of columns for the individual entries in a split transaction;
    2. cannot delete columns (e.g., "Tags" and "Transfers") from individual entries in a split transaction. ("Tags" and "Transfers" are unchecked in "columns" and do not appear in the overall summary line for the split transaction but still appear in the individual entry section once the "split" is expanded. Since I don't use either one of those columns, I have to tab over two blank columns to get to the amount column. Big waste of time.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @padrino,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.