Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2 & 4.5.3 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
We'll be releasing version 4.5 of Quicken 2017 in the coming week.  A few thousand of you already have it.  We release in short spurts.  For those of you already running it, please comment in this post so we can find the issues quickly and can address them.

This is a huge release for us.

Loans
First off, I'm excited to report that we've added the most requested customer feature...Loans.  In this first iteration, we focused mostly on fixed rate mortgages.

Some of the features you'll find are:
  • More loan providers - You may have noticed this already but we've increased the number of loan providers included in the list of financial institutions you can download from. Now you can even connect Quicken Loans which always seemed crazy that we didn't support it even though it's an entirely different company.
  • Auto-Updating Loan Scheduled Transactions - Detailed scheduled transactions that update interest and principal every month based on the customer's loan details and amortization schedule.
  • Graphs - Lots of graphs to see when your loan will be paid off and an estimated total interest paid compared to principal.
  • Liability Account Conversion - Loans in the past were liability accounts.  We kept this account type so if you want to continue tracking your loans this way you can.  However, you will now be able to convert liability accounts to the loan feature by clicking on the Convert to Loan sheet that appears the first time you go to a liability account or if you click the Convert to Loan button in Account Settings.
  • Updated file converters - Both Quicken 2007 and Windows file converters have been updated to import loans from those products.
  • And a whole lot more...
Improved Reports
We're building out our custom report feature.  We added Comparison and Summary reports to 2017.  
  • New Transaction Reports - We just enhanced this by adding new transaction reports for category, tag, payee, account and time-based.
  • Improved uncategorized transaction handling - In the new reports, uncategorized transactions will now be grouped by the sign of the amount. Positive values will be included with the income transactions and negative values will be included with the expenses.
Improved Splits
We subtly changed the way splits work and made them better.
  • We got a lot of complaints about splits getting into a mode where it would change the first split line even after you’ve edited it which was clearly frustrating. There are 3 split modes: Total, Refine First Line and Remainder. If the transaction total amount is 0, then Quicken will sum the amount of the splits and update the total. The Refine First Line mode is useful when one basically wants to categorize a few items but the bulk of a purchase is the same. For example, if you typically go to Walmart for groceries but occasionally buy clothes or something else you may want to pull out just those non-standard items and categorize them separately. In this case, you want the first split line to be Groceries and its amount should decrease with each split line added. Quicken goes into this mode if the transaction total is > 0, the first split line is not edited and there are initially only 2 split lines meaning this is a new split. All other times, splits are in remainder mode where a remainder split line is automatically created if the total amount isn't reached.
  • We added a new feature to adjust the transaction total to the sum of the current split values. If you increase the amount of an existing split line, a remainder split is created that basically subtracts the amount you just added which can be frustrating. This might happen if you decide to increase the amount of extra principal you pay for a month or adjust a paycheck split transaction to match actual amounts. In this case, most would want the total amount to adjust. We've added a "minus" button to the remainder split line so you can delete it. This will automatically change the transaction total value.
Improved Budgets
Budgets have been reworked. We haven’t added any new features but have made what we have work better especially when trying to create a new budget or creating a future budget.
  • Clicking New Budget will now start the budgeting process.
  • Quicken now asks you the starting month and year when creating a budget.
  • Going to the budget view should default better especially when your budget doesn’t start in January.
  • When moving the budget view to a period where there currently isn't a budget defined, Quicken will automatically ask if you would like to create a new budget using the previous budget, historical data from the previous year, or to start from scratch with zero values.
  • Fixed an issue when editing a budget that spans into the next year where the year was not displaying for the month of January.
Improved Auto-Backup
  • A backup is saved only when a change has been made.
  • A progress indicator appears when saving the backup file. Saving the backup can take a few seconds to complete.  In the past the progress indicator wouldn't appear so most didn't realize Quicken was still running while saving the backup.  This makes it much clearer what is happening. 
  • Added a new preference that will change the backup behavior. Instead of automatically saving a backup, Quicken will ask every time before saving a backup.
Improved Register Filter Behavior
I'm a big fan of this one.
  • We’ve changed the behavior for the filter bar in the register. Now the Reset Filter button won't appear until one is in a filtered state. Also, a giant red X has been added to the button which should make it more obvious when one is in a filtered state. The issue is that many times customers didn't realize they were in a filtered state and thought they had lost transactions which can be scary.  Now it's pretty obvious when one is in a filtered state.
And we fixed lots and lots of bugs.
  • We added blue dots to the sidebar representing newly downloaded transactions a few releases ago and continue to improve the way they work. We added a preference to mark reconciled transactions as reviewed. Fixed an issue with Web Connect accounts. They will now work as connected accounts. Also, fixed a number of transaction count issues that would occur when transactions were automatically matched.
  • Fixed the transaction download count in the Account Status window for Quicken Connect accounts. Previously auto-matched transactions weren't being counted.
  • Fixed a long standing issue where exporting the tax report to CSV didn't include the schedule D items.
  • Fixed a crash and hang that would occur when importing Quicken 2007 and Windows files.
  • Improved the reliability of online bill pay transactions by adding a number of checks that will make sure payment information meets certain criteria before attempting to process the transaction.  Also fixed an issue a Quicken Bill Pay issue that would occur when linking to a Financial Institution that supported both Direct Connect and Quicken Connect connection types. 
  • Fixed an issue where old download and sync error messages continued to appear in Quicken even after they were resolved.
  • Fixed an issue where cost basis values didn't appear in the realized gain view.
  • Fixed an issue where dragging a transaction within the register would result in the amount changing if it had a complex split with transfers.
  • Fixed an issue where accounts hidden from reports were also excluded from transfer and account register field pop-up lists.
  • Fixed an issue where the Intuit ID didn't appear in the About Box after signing in as a different user.
  • Fixed an issue where customizing the report will auto-collapse all of the rows.
  • Fixed an issue where renaming a category or action to the same name as another item caused the UI to be unresponsive.
  • Fixed a crash if a payee account number matches the phone number that had been paid by multiple users.
  • Fixed an issue if you had a problem logging in, it would display a dialog to re-enter your credentials.
  • Fixed a budget sync issue.
Lots of great new enhancements and increased stability but this much change could lead to some issues so please let us know if you encounter problems in this forum post once you get the update.  Please don't call support if you check for updates and it's not available yet. Like I said, we release in small spurts and may make fixes in between releases before we allow everyone to download it.  We've already updated the app once to version 4.5.1 after we started seeing a couple of people crashing in the new loan feature using 4.5. It will take time for us to get this new release to everyone.  Thanks for your patience.  If you do get the release, again, please report the issue here so we can find it quickly.

Thanks,
Quicken Mac Team
  • 4/27/2017 - Released 4.5 to a few thousand people.  Stopped to fix some crashing issues in both loans and export to CSV.
  • 4/28/2017 - Released 4.5.1 to a small group of people.  Stopped to fix some more crashing issues in loans, a crash when clicking on the Quicken Community help menu item and an issue when trying to download the Quicken utility for Screen Share.
  • 5/1/2017 - Released 4.5.2 to a few thousand people.  Stopped.  Gathering feedback from the forum and other customer channels and planning for a 4.5.3 release shortly. The issue Thomas reported below regarding loan length weirdness will be fixed in this issue.
  • 5/8/2017 - Thanks for the great feedback and bugs reported in this forum.  We've been working through the issues, fixing them and retesting the entire product again.  We're nearing the end of this process and hope to release 4.5.3 sometime this week.
  • 5/9/2017 - We are releasing 4.5.3 to a small group of people today.  If you are able to upgrade to this version, please report any issues you find in this forum post. 
  • 5/12/2017 - Unfortunately we found more issues and have stopped updating people.  We hope to start again early next week. 
  • 5/16/2017 - We released 4.5.4 with more fixes to loans for a few thousand people.
  • 5/17/2017 - We continue to release 4.5.4 to more people and we're going to keep it available for the rest of our day and will decide this afternoon if we keep it open for download. 
  • 5/18/2017 - 4.5.4 is available to everyone.  Closing this forum post an opening a new one to capture new issues. since this one is so long.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    It would be very helpful to be able to printout  the investments. On my 2017 for Mac the printer icon is grayed out in investments. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2017
    D H... This post is specifically for issues related to the new release. 

There is a workaround for printing the investment portfolio. Please post this as a new question (make sure to designate it as Mac), and I'll fill you in.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2017
    D H Grif said:

It would be very helpful to be able to printout  the investments. On my 2017 for Mac the printer icon is grayed out in investments. 

D H... This thread is specifically for issues related to the new release. 

There is a workaround for printing the investment portfolio. Please post this as a new question (make sure to designate it as Mac), and I'll fill you in on the workaround.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • David Chen
    David Chen Member
    edited August 2018
    How can I get this update? It says my Quicken 2017 4.4.3 is the newest available.

I was prompted to update to 4.5, but I clicked Remind Me Later in order to backup my application and data file. However, clicking "Check for Updates..." says that I am up-to-date.

I could really use a bug fix in the release. The split transaction bug where the total changes is something I run into a lot. The fixes for when editing split transactions will be most welcome as well.

Thanks!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

How can I get this update? It says my Quicken 2017 4.4.3 is the newest available.

I was prompted to update to 4.5, but I clicked Remind Me Later in order to backup my application and data file. However, clicking "Check for Updates..." says that I am up-to-date.

I could really use a bug fix in the release. The split transaction bug where the total changes is something I run into a lot. The fixes for when editing split transactions will be most welcome as well.

Thanks!

Read the last paragraph...it is explained there.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Ok I got 4.5, works well
    what is confusing is that you mention 4.5.1 is released, I suppose for 4.5 version
    and 4.5.2 is next
    But I do not get update for 4.5.1
    and 4.5.2 is not updating my 4.5 either
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Loans is one of the features that I have been looking forward to having moved from QW.  I am really excited.  Thanks.

When I setup a loan, the principal + interest calculation doesn't always equal the true total monthly loan payment.  I used the pencil to manually enter my true monthly loan payment amount and the difference is allocated to Extra Principal.  However, the amount isn't really "extra principal".  

In QW, you had the ability to edit the total payment amount and thereafter, the principal + interest calculations would adjust accordingly.  Thereafter, you could add a value for true "extra principal".  

Not certain which methodology (QM or QW) provides the best result.  However, I am hoping that once I post the transaction in a few days, I will have the ability to adjust the principal + interest amounts appropriately.  

Kuddos to the Mac Development Team.  I also enjoy the UX enhancements (e.g. clear filters).

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2017

Thanks!

@David Chen: The way Quicken's staged releases work, they allow a certain number (typically 2,000, I think) users to get the update, then turn it off and wait a few days to see if those users report problems. Then, typically, they release it for everyone. Since this v4.5 release contains some major changes, they may do two or three small releases to 2,000 customers at a time. This is all in an effort to try to avoid a release with a significant problem getting pushed out to everyone.

When you got the initial prompt to update to v4.5, you were among those initial 2,000 users being offered a chance to get it. You deferred, and when you came back later, they had closed off the downloads after reaching the limit. It's just random luck of timing when they open and close the download spigot. The good thing is that everyone will typically get it within a week or so unless they discover a major problem they need to fix.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Be aware when you add extra P , ins, etc on the loan payment page this will repeat on all payments, if you wish to have a one time change to extra principal, etc . This must be done from the register for schedule transactions using the split transaction features in 4.5
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    From the release notes above, there is not suppose to be any new budget features.  However, when I was playing around with the budget, I had the ability to select "Transfer" as a category.  The default Transfer category is associated with credit card payments.  

Can you now budget for Transfer:  Credit Card Payment in this new release?  On a side note, when I go back in to edit my budget and select/unselect categories, I no longer see Transfer as a category.  

Is this future functionality that slipped into this release or something that was added in a prior release that I missed.  Either way, it does not seem like the functionality is fully functional.  I use Transfer:  Credit Card Payment for all my credit card payments.  Generally regardless if I budget an amount for a category or not, you can see the actual spending in the far right column.

• qmac_scott
    qmac_scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    The mortgage loan feature will be VERY much appreciated! Is there a timeline for when we will see other simple loan types supported (in particular: auto loans)?

Also, is there any chance you've added some way to search all transactions (including hidden accounts)? Very frequently I am trying to find history of some old purchase in an account I no longer use (so it is hidden). An option to temporarily show hidden account in the "All Transactions" window would allow this.

Thanks for the hard work adding these new features!
  • jacobs
    edited April 2017

The mortgage loan feature will be VERY much appreciated! Is there a timeline for when we will see other simple loan types supported (in particular: auto loans)?

Also, is there any chance you've added some way to search all transactions (including hidden accounts)? Very frequently I am trying to find history of some old purchase in an account I no longer use (so it is hidden). An option to temporarily show hidden account in the "All Transactions" window would allow this.

@qmac_scott: Maybe Marcus or someone else who's tested it extensively will say otherwise, but I would think you could use the new loans feature for an auto loan, since it's basically the same as a fixed-rate mortgage with a starting balance, a fixed rate, and a set number of monthly payments. I think Marcus was indicating that in this first release, the loans features doesn't deal with *all* types of loans well or at all, such as variable rate loans, school loans where you incur the debt but don't begin paying back for awhile, or with personal loans you make to family or friends. 
  • qmac_scott
    qmac_scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Yes, I thought that at first as well, but then I did a few seconds of research and it seems that some types of loans (like auto loans) amortize interest differently. But it's very possible I may be wrong.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

As for searching in hidden accounts, you can add your VOTE to Add Option to Search in Hidden Account Registers.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    I am using 4.5.1 Prior to this I could select a Web Connect Account and type Command U and I would be taken to the financial site to download the Web Connect file. It is now greyed out and cannot use the command.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    When I updated to 4.5.1 I immediately started to use the new loan feature. I ran into some major problems where i could no longer launch the application until i used a backup of my current Quicken file. I assume it became corrupt and caused the crash. Once i started fresh I was able to repeat my steps and continue. I did run into an issue where i could only use “Years” for loan length. When ever I would try another unit no matter how many months it would force the loan to be paid off in 1 year. ie i selected 120 months which should have been 10 years. It would set up payments such that it would be paid off in 1 year. I had to select 10 years in order for the payments to actually be displayed as 10 years. This was with a loan type “Loan”. I also tried 120 payments but with same results.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2017
    Thomas said:

When I updated to 4.5.1 I immediately started to use the new loan feature. I ran into some major problems where i could no longer launch the application until i used a backup of my current Quicken file. I assume it became corrupt and caused the crash. Once i started fresh I was able to repeat my steps and continue. I did run into an issue where i could only use “Years” for loan length. When ever I would try another unit no matter how many months it would force the loan to be paid off in 1 year. ie i selected 120 months which should have been 10 years. It would set up payments such that it would be paid off in 1 year. I had to select 10 years in order for the payments to actually be displayed as 10 years. This was with a loan type “Loan”. I also tried 120 payments but with same results.

Can you provide a screenshot of the loan details window so we can see what your talking about?
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thomas said:

Quicken froze on me too when I was setting up a new loan.  It appeared to happen when I used the pencil to edit the payment info.  I was able to quit the application via force quit.  When I restarted Quicken it took a while for the program to restart.  When the program loaded, it was in a frozen state and I could not do anything.  After a few tries, I noticed the menu bar was active.  I was able to navigate to Accounts/Delete Account.  The account was deleted and everything appears to be ok.
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

You are correct.  the compounding period can be different with a simple interest loan (auto or personal loan) vs. mortgage.  
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

@qmac_scott - Although the release notes specify fixed rate mortgages for the first iteration, on the loan details screen, there is a drop down that allows you to select different loan types.  The options are:  Auto, Commercial, Construction, Consumer, Home Equity, Loan, Military, Mortgage, SMB and Student.  
  • jacobs
    edited May 2017

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough above. Yes, as @J. Holmes says, there is a menu of loan types you can select. But I don't know if there's any difference in the way these loan types behave. Each one allows you to define the same loan parameters: original balance, current balance, loan length (in years, months, weeks, or payments), interest rate, either starting or ending date, the compounding period (monthly, annual, daily or none) and the payment schedule (monthly, semi-monthly, biweekly, and more).

The one key thing is that the interest rate for all of these must be a fixed rate. While there's a menu to select other options, it is grayed out; I assume they will add support for variable rate loans in the future.
  • qmac_scott
    qmac_scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

@smayer97, thanks for the voting page tip. The suggestion on that page of simply adding a "show hidden" check box next to the filter bar of the All Transactions window is perfect.

And great to know that other loans at least seem to be supported!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Thomas said:

I could not reproduce the exact same problem but still something quirky happening. I will send 3 screen captures. The first screen capture is when I initially view the information “Edit Loan and Payment Terms” . The second capture shows me converting the 9 years to 108 months, I then save and close. I then went in a third time and the screen was the third photo, 9 months. I change the months to years but the total is also $0. I click the pencil the amount shows up and then I can save.imageimageimage
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2017
    Thomas said:

The opening loan balance is 2012.84, the original balance is 2012.84..This is a new loan, you are making your first payment yes? If you simply change item 3 from months to years you should be ok..Note you show a maturity date of 4/9/26 which does not make sense non a 9 mo loan. Unless I am not understanding what you are trying to do which is quite possible:)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Thomas said:

Sorry for the confusion, screen capture 2 shows that I set the loan length to 108 months. I then clicked on Save. I re-opened the loan details window and what i got is what you see on the third capture. The application changed it to 9 months and the 3 fields Principle, interest and Total are now blank.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2017
    Thomas said:

I just simulated what you did, set up the same loan values, three iterations , I got the same result, looks like a bit of a bug. What I found interesting is that the first two scenarios I had to go to bill reminders to save the event, In item 3 it allowed me to save this w/o going to bill reminder. 
    In item 3 i changed the months to years and all is well but it is definitely a bug a boo
    I will report this bug
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    There are problems with the buttons for the Budget. See screen capture with notes. If you click the center button it does not give you the view of current month/year but for me it set it to Jan/2016. After many clicks to get to todays date, if I leave the budget screen and go to anything else say Home Screen then come back the right button sets it to March/2016 image
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2017
    Thomas said:

There are problems with the buttons for the Budget. See screen capture with notes. If you click the center button it does not give you the view of current month/year but for me it set it to Jan/2016. After many clicks to get to todays date, if I leave the budget screen and go to anything else say Home Screen then come back the right button sets it to March/2016 image

The button you point to does nothing, I checked it in 4.4.3. I set the budget date back to March clicked on your button ,nothing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Thomas said:

This is what I have found, I created a new budget thinking there was a problem with the old budget. My new budget starts jan 1 2017. While in the 1 month view  I select the current month say May, if i click the middle button it takes me to the first month of my budget. I don't recall it working this way. The other problem is that if I close and reopen the application if my 1 month view was on May 2017 it defaults back to Jan 2017. It appears to go back to the first month. This can get annoying at the end of the year as it will take many clicks to get to December.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2017
    I beleive there is an issue with the Splits. The Refine First Line mode seems to only work correctly if i save the entry and then go back into it. If for example i create a new expense with a greater than zero expense int eh total field, my first line also contains the primary category if i start adding more categories what it does is add a third category to offset the newly added amount. If i delete the new amount with the (-) button it will then increase the overall total. Only if I save the entry first then go back in with the split button does it work correctly where it will subtract from the first line main category to keep the total constant . I did look through the help section and as i read the help file this does not sound like it is working correctly. It appears to be working as described in the last paragraph of the “What New” section for splits.
This discussion has been closed.