Quicken for Mac v5.12 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭

What’s new In 5.12?

5.12 is a major release for us.  We've been working on it for over 10 months and it includes new features, bug fixes and major under-the-hood changes to payees, transactions, and scheduled transactions.  What this means is there are a lot of changes which is why we’ve been heads down, testing the product and not releasing anything new for the past 4 months.  We thought we were ready a couple of months ago when we shipped it to beta customers but we kept finding issues to fix and we've been working hard to make sure it was ready. We think we’re ready now.  Of course, we may have missed something, so please use this forum to notify us of any issues you’re seeing in 5.12. We’ll be monitoring this forum closely like we always do after a major update. So what's new in 5.12?

Renaming Rules

Renaming rules allow you to define exactly how Quicken will rename payees in transactions that are downloaded from your financial institution. Our aggregation service makes an attempt to rename your payees but sometimes it guesses badly.  Quicken 5.11 also had a very simple mechanism that would remember the last payee you used for a particular downloaded payee but it didn't always get it right.  The new feature allows you to define specific rules for renaming payees that Quicken will follow when your transactions are downloaded from the banks.  We'll automatically create rules for you when you make edits in the register.  You can choose to rename "existing & future" or just "future" transactions and you'll be able to edit, modify and manage the rules.  The renaming rules will be synced with the Quicken Cloud allowing mobile and web clients to also use the same rules.

New Scheduled Transactions

We built the new scheduled transaction feature from the ground up.  Our goal was to simplify the setup and editing of a scheduled transaction and add the features customers have been asking for including editing of the next instance and auto-entry based on a scheduled date or a period of time prior to the scheduled date. Also, we wanted to fix weird limitations that we had like the inability to pick a day at the end of the month if it fell within the last 3 days or scheduled transactions disappearing after editing a date because it no longer fit in the register visible window. 

We did remove the ability to create complex, multiple schedules in a single scheduled transaction because not many people were using it and made things complicated.  If anyone had a really complex schedule, it will now be represented as multiple rules or as an un-editable rule. Again, this shouldn't affect most people.

New Report Features

We continue to focus on improving reports.  First, we've added 3 new menu items to allow you to quickly create 3 main report types.  We also wanted to elevate these report types in the menu to give them more exposure to make customers aware that these types of reports can be created.  Many think that Quicken Mac only supports the reports that appear at the bottom of the menu.

If you create or use a new report, then you'll also get access to our new report toolbar features.  One of the new features we've added is the ability to Duplicate a report. You can also change the type, row, column and time interval of the report by selecting options from a toolbar for ad-hoc reporting.

Finally, you can easily change the name of a report after duplicating or making changes  Just move your mouse to the report name at the top of the report and click to edit.  This is only available in the new reports.  It doesn't work in the classic reports that appear at the bottom of the report menu.

Investments

We've also made some small but important enhancements to investments. First off, we've added an Investment Amount column in the register so you can see the value of a Reinvested Dividend. You can also turn on the Symbol column in the register which you may prefer over the full security name for its compactness. We also added the Average Cost Per Share column in the portfolio view. Finally, we fixed a bug where Quicken ignored the tax-free checkbox on a security and another bug around duplicate dividends when the reinvestment occurred a few days after the dividend.

Other

We also made major changes to the way we create adjustment balances when creating a new account.  Currently, the opening balance is a calculated amount that changes if you add a transaction earlier than a hidden date that no one is aware of.  This was confusing to people and could cause balance issues.  We've changed this so that transactions entered before the adjustment transaction will cause the balance to adjust.  We call this a Live Balance Adjustment.  If you want a static balance amount, just edit it and the automated calculations will stop.
Using this same technology, we've added a new feature that allows you to add an adjustment balance in any account.  Choose the Accounts : Adjust Account Balance menu item to launch this feature and to have Quicken add an adjustment balance transaction for you.

Also using this same technology, we allow you to create an opening balance in a manual account. 

As you can see there are a lot of changes in 5.12.  To see the full list of changes in 5.12, check out our new menu item Help : Release Notes in Quicken.

By the way, we'll be rolling this out slowly so not everyone will be able to get it.  Please read the notes below for more information.

Thanks,
The Quicken Mac Development Team.

Updates:

8/15/2019 - v5.12 released to a limited number of customers.
8/15/2019 - We've stopped the v5.12 rollout for now.  We want to see if there are any major issues before continuing to roll it out and we'll investigate issues reported by customers in the comments below.
8/19/2019 - We release 5.12.1 that fixes an issue when converting loans from 5.11 to 5.12.  Thanks to Randy who reported his issue in this post.  We also fixed a number of crashing issues that we saw come in the 5.12 release.  We're still in staged release mode and may stop the release after we double the number of customers using 5.12 now. Please let us know of any issues you may run into.
8/20/2019 - We're paused again and investigating other issues reported by customers.
8/20/2019 - We released 5.12.2 that fixes the issue that some customers ran into where they couldn't open their file.
8/29/2019 - We just shipped 5.12.3 that fixes a few more issues. We think this may be the last update for 5.12.
9/12/2019 - We just shipped 5.12.4 which fixes an issue with dividend transactions and a few other things.
9/25/2019 - We just shipped 5.12.5 which fixes an auto-categorization issue, a bill pay issue and the investment column menu problem.

Comments

• jmrice1949
    jmrice1949 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    New update corrupted my files. How do I resolve. It will not let me restore from backups. Tells me file is corrupted.

<jmrice1949> This should be fixed.  Let us know if it's not.
  • LENNY@
    LENNY@ Member
    edited August 2019
    I downloaded 8/15/19 new version 5.12 and my file is corrupted. I can not open. I am very upset.

<Lenny> This should be fixed.  Let us know if it's not.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken automatically creates a backup of your data before upgrading your database to the 5.12 format. Have you tried using that backup? If not, that's the first thing I'd try to work with -- starting with making a copy of the backup, so the original backup is preserved in case it doesn't work right. (If you don't know where Quicken's automatic backups are stored, post again and we can point you in the right direction.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Update and file conversion to the 5.12 version worked flawlessly! Loving the update and the new features, especially the updates to reporting and scheduled transactions. Thanks for the great work @Quicken Marcus and team!
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited August 2019
    LENNY@said:
    I downloaded 8/15/19 new version 5.12 and my file is corrupted. I can not open. I am very upset. <Removed phone number and email for privacy reasons>
    As jacobs mentions, you should have 2 backups.  1) We make a backup every time the app is quit so when you upgrade a backup will be made when the app is quit before we download the new version.  2) In addition, we make a backup whenever we migrate your file.  You can always find your backups by going to the app and under the File menu you'll find a menu item called Restore from Backup which will default to the location where all your backups are stored.  Sort by date to find the most recent backup and open it up.

If there is a bug and your file continues to fail, replace your app with the old one that is in your Trash and Restore using 5.11.  

I'll reach out to you directly via email to help and work with you to figure out if there's a bug we need to fix.
  • Quicken Marcus
    As part of our typical process for a major release, I've paused the rollout of v5.12 for now so we can evaluate how it's going for customers.  If you run into any issues with v5.12, please comment here in this forum article.
  • jacobs
    @Quicken Marcus First, I'm happy to report my Quicken 5.11 files on two different computers updated to 5.12 format without incident.

I know your primary focus right now is on the 5.12 release and getting it out in wide release to Quicken Mac customers, but I was hoping you could comment on the status of three things which are the topics of frequent inquiries/complaints on this forum which are not addressed in the 5.12 release. I know you don't give dates when users can expect new features because the development process is fluid, but anything you can share about the direction and general timeframe for these things you've written in the past were being worked on (or were on your roadmap) would be much appreciated by the user community:

1) This release addresses Payee renaming rules. The most frequent complaint about downloads (other than connectivity issues!) is auto-categorization. You've said in the past you're working on something along the lines of saved transactions/QuickFill so users can essentially create their own categorization rules, and I think a lot of users were hoping that would be addressed in this update. Can you offer any update on this functionality coming in the future?

2) Another long-promised feature that people were hoping to see is the ability to include fund transfers in budgets, to allow budgets to better reflect cash flow needs for things like loan payments and savings. Last year you said this would require some significant work under the hood, and that the works had been delayed until after budgets in Quicken Cloud had been re-engineered. A lot of time has now passed; any update on this functionality coming to Quicken Mac? 

3) This release improves on the functionality and access to the new reports engine. But the old Essentials-era reports still exist -- and still frequently trip up users because the old Category summary has bugs which haven't been fixed. Is there a reason you haven't yet converted existing Category summary reports to the new reports engine and eliminated that old report from the program? Are you planning to create equivalents of the other legacy reports in the new reports engine, so all the old reports can be removed?

Thanks!
  • Elrond
    Elrond Member ✭✭
    Still no savings goal accounts! I'm done waiting and will quit monitoring the evolution of the Mac version. Sticking with my QWin 2012 in a VM. Adios Amigos.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also monitor the status and  can add your VOTE to Add Savings Goals.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a few seconds for your vote to register).

Your VOTES matter!

Meanwhile, you could upgrade to QW2013 for free by getting it from Quicken here…
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken
    (Look under "If you are converting from Quicken 2004 through 2009")

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Randy
    Randy Member ✭✭
    I downloaded the new 5.12 version and for some reason it has affected the way my loan accounts are calculated. The new version has changed all of my loan account durations to 30 months. Its not that big of an issue to change them back however one of my accounts, my mortgage, Quicken is now showing it as being paid off(exceeded the 30 months) and will not let me modify the account. Thanks
  • Quicken Marcus
    Randy said:
    I downloaded the new 5.12 version and for some reason it has affected the way my loan accounts are calculated. The new version has changed all of my loan account durations to 30 months. Its not that big of an issue to change them back however one of my accounts, my mortgage, Quicken is now showing it as being paid off(exceeded the 30 months) and will not let me modify the account. Thanks
    Randy, Thanks for reporting this issue in the forums.  Let me reach out to you directly. Loans is what we’ve been wrestling with for the past couple of weeks and we thought we got everything nailed down but clearly we missed a use case. We’ll get you fixed up. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited August 2019
    Jacobs and Elrond, adding new features takes a long time and a lot longer than I've expected.  For example, we started on renaming rules in November of last year.  Who knew renaming rules were so complicated. Part of this was a process issue that we've finally worked through with 5.12 so I'm hoping our speed will pick up. We're excited about the 5.12 release and I think many will see our commitment to continue to work through the backlog of desired features although I understand that it may not be as fast as many would like.  Elrond, sorry you've grown frustrated waiting. Jacobs, as you mentioned I can't give you dates and none of what I say is a guarantee that any of the following will be delivered but I'll give you some thoughts on the features you've mentioned.

I believe renaming rules and memorized transactions go hand in hand since both help improve downloaded transaction accuracy and lowers the number of times customers have to spend tweaking their transactions.

Supporting transfers in budgets is also an important feature.  It's taken us a lot longer than I would have expected to get back to redoing budgets but for now, I've asked our team to investigate the work required to support transfers without a complete budget overhaul with the hopes we can add this functionality faster.

Finally, you asked about the classic reports. My goal has been to stay focused on the building blocks to allow us to create the reports we don't currently have and to then pivot back to replacing the classic reports and add other default reports. We have a dedicated team that just works on reports and nothing else so they are moving as fast as they can and I think there will be some more report improvements in 5.13 but of course we won't ship them unless they are ready.
  • jonbud39
    jonbud39 Member ✭✭
    what a disappointment with Quicken support when I asked them how to retrieve version 5.11. 2 for Mac. I lost it after downloading 5.12. You released it too soon. They stopped talking after I failed to open the latest backup.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2019
    My goal has been to stay focused on the building blocks to allow us to create the reports we don't currently have and to then pivot back to replacing the classic reports and add other default reports. 

Some classic reports don't have a replacement yet. For example, the Net Worth Over Time and the Tax Schedule reports. However, some classic reports such as Category Summary and Payee Summary are already adequately replaced by the New Transaction Report. I think what @jacobs is saying is that since these have adequate replacements and cause a lot of user problems/questions, they could be eliminated now from the UI. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Marcus
    jonbud39 said:
    what a disappointment with Quicken support when I asked them how to retrieve version 5.11. 2 for Mac. I lost it after downloading 5.12. You released it too soon. They stopped talking after I failed to open the latest backup.
    jonbud39, we always save the previous version in your trash for easy retrieval.  You can also always go to your Quicken account and download it.  By the way, we aren't seeing major issues with this release.  Randy above definitely ran into a real bug that we're going to fix but it has to do with loan migration but the issue will only affect a small number of people. Are you running into an issue?  If so, can you describe what you're seeing?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited August 2019
    RickO said:
    Some classic reports don't have a replacement yet. For example, the Net Worth Over Time and the Tax Schedule reports. However, some classic reports such as Category Summary and Payee Summary are already adequately replaced by the New Transaction Report. I think what @jacobs is saying is that since these have adequate replacements and cause a lot of user problems/questions, they could be eliminated now from the UI. 
    RickO, Can you email me directly about the major user problems/questions with those reports. I'd like to better understand what you're hearing about to make sure we don't repeat the same issues. Our report team is just finishing up a big project and the next thing they're slated to take look at is how our new reports can be used to replace the old reports so we're getting there.
  • jacobs
    @Quicken Marcus I feel like I've directed dozens of users away from the Category Summary report in the past year because of several problems it has.
    One problem is expense categories showing up in the Money In section of the report; generally, I suspect this is due to refunds/returns/credits resulting in a negative expense, which this report then considers income rather than a negative expense. Some examples:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7858351/why-are-bills-paid-showing-in-the-category-summary-report-as-money-in

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7853529/credit-card-payments-showing-as-money-in-in-reports

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7855559/has-anyone-experienced-this-on-reports-qmac

There are other problems users report with data missing from the Category Summary report, resulting in incorrect results. Examples here:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856389/certain-reports-are-not-including-some-items-in-a-category-totals-are-wrong-whats-wrong

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856518/category-summary-differences-q-mac

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20015339/#Comment_20015339
    (Last paragraph)

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7854373/the-summary-number-in-my-report-does-not-match-the-transactions-showing

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7845929/quicken-for-mac-2019-category-report-bug

And other problems with subtotals and tags:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20011346/#Comment_20011346

And other problems with stray data showing up in the report:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7848525/exported-report-includes-unrelated-transactions-q-mac

In my opinion, it would be great if you could get rid of the Category Summary report, since it can be fully replicated with the new reports now, and would solve many users from confusion -- or worse -- reports with wrong data that they don't realize is wrong.
  • Quicken Marcus
    This is great data. Thanks for compiling.
  • Gilles99
    Gilles99 Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Marcus" said:
    > As part of our typical process for a major release, I've paused the rollout of v5.12 for now so we can evaluate how it's going for customers.  If you run into any issues with v5.12, please comment here in this forum article.

You might have stop the automatic update process, but Macupdate.com has posted version 5.12....
    FYI
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RickO said:
    My goal has been to stay focused on the building blocks to allow us to create the reports we don't currently have and to then pivot back to replacing the classic reports and add other default reports. 

First, not sure if all the functionality of the old reports is reproduced in the new; certainly most but I vaguely seem to recall some (maybe minor) things still are not...but just be sure. 
    Do also keep in mind that when you do sunset the old reports that some users may have saved these old formats, so they will need to be transitioned over somehow.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    @Quicken Marcus 

1) This release addresses Payee renaming rules. The most frequent complaint about downloads (other than connectivity issues!) is auto-categorization. You've said in the past you're working on something along the lines of saved transactions/QuickFill so users can essentially create their own categorization rules, and I think a lot of users were hoping that would be addressed in this update. Can you offer any update on this functionality coming in the future?

I believe renaming rules and memorized transactions go hand in hand since both help improve downloaded transaction accuracy and lowers the number of times customers have to spend tweaking their transactions.

@Quicken Marcus
    although renaming rules and memorized transactions do go hand in hand, it is not clear from your statements on this subject if auto-categorization is being factored in. Not sure how you have QMac handling this now, but this could be a totally separate process. That is what I believe @jacobs is trying to bring to your attention... there does not seem to be clear language about the problems with auto-categorization so it is unclear if these are (or were) addressed.

Payee renaming rules imply only dealing with renaming payees, memorized transactions only imply saving and reusing saved payees and related transaction data (categorization, splits, memos, amount). Renaming rules ought to work well with newly downloaded data and memorized transactions ought to work well with manually entered data. Neither of these directly suggest anything about auto-categorization of newly downloaded data. It may be implied but it is not explicitly clear.

Please clarify.

• glennmacc
    glennmacc Member ✭✭✭
    I am a long-time user of QM (since 1999). I have only recently (2 weeks ago) purchased and started using QM2019 (though I understand not officially called that). I had been hesitant because of the approximately 75 reports I had in QM2007 and because of the reputation that QM2019 did not have the features that I felt I would need for it to be useful, especially when it comes to investing. I have now been using QM2019 for a long enough time to evaluate it fairly I think. My reactions to 5.11 are elsewhere in this forum, but here I'd like to focus on the changes in 5.12. So here is my take on 5.12:

First, the reporting engine is indeed improved. I do find it weird though that the standard reports using the old engine remain, as this leads to confusion as to which reports can be "customized" and which cannot. Can't these old reports be ported to the new engine, or just eliminated and let everyone start reports from scratch? Or perhaps put those reports on the home page, because they seem like simple things one would expect to find on the basic information page.

One thing that doesn't seem too complicated to implement would make the new reports better really quickly (this was in QM2007) is custom dates. That is, making custom date ranges that "stick" would help to make comparisons/analysis easier. The current "comparison" limits you to two time periods, but if I want to compare say 10 years of data, this cannot be done. I know you can use the "summary report" and specify long periods of time, but the ability to choose your dates and have them retained as "custom range" would be much better.

Overall, the new reporting features allow me to make reasonable versions of about 75% of the old reports I had in QMM2007. I hope the feature continues to improve.

Outside of reporting, the other new features are appreciated, but less important to me. I still hope for the automatic/memorized categories (I understand that the renaming rules are a step along the way there), again that seems reasonably straightforward to implement, but I am not a coder, so I don't really know.

The renaming rules feature is helpful, though I don't not really understood fully the rules that Quicken chose for me in my 50,000 transactions, though most of them seem to work so far.

On investments, there seems to be good news and bad news. An issue that I had in 5.11 where new investment transactions caused a "placeholder transaction" with the negative number of shares that I was adding seems to have been fixed. I added shares to a mutual fund and the total shares increased (correctly) and no placeholder was entered in 1999 like happened in 5.11. The bad news is that there is still no flexibility when analyzing performance, the only options are YTD, 1, 3 or 5 years. I cannot for instance see how a fund/stock/bond has done since 2008 or any specific date I choose.

Related to Investments, the budget also has some good news and bad. It seems that Reinvested Dividends income can now be added to Budgets, but for some reason, Reinvested Capital Gains income cannot (this seems to be because the category automatically assigned to Reinvested Dividends is "Dividend Income" which is available in budgets, but the category assigned automatically to Reinvested Capital gains is "reinvest capital gains" which is not available in budgets [instead of "Long Term Capital Gains" or "Short Term Capital Gains", which can be included in the budget]). Again, this seems like it should be easy to fix.

A couple of other items I'd like to see addressed in upcoming updates include having a "previously reconciled" list for accounts (similar to QM2007) so that you can see where any reconciliation errors occur (after you reconcile, sometimes things are changed, added, or deleted and that can create reconciliation errors. With a "previous reconciliation" list, you can see where those errors have been introduced). This is a better solution than just adding an adjustment or using "live balance adjustment" which seems to be the goto answer right now.

As for scheduled transactions, I'd still like to see a list of all scheduled transactions in one place, again, like in QM2007 (unless I'm missing this somewhere). On the home page, if you could list all transactions for the next year, that would help, but it is not a very good solution. In bills and income, you can see the "bills" (not a very professional term) for the next year, but the ability to edit them is kinda hidden in the three dots. This should be made clearer I think.

Lastly for now, I'd like some options as to what to show on the Home page. As it is now, I never use it, it is just a rehash of information in other places. If you could choose your charts, graphs, or whatever, then it would feel more useful. . BTW, there seems to be a bug in the charts on the home page. No matter what time frame I choose, the "spending over time" and "net income" charts show March 2019-August 2019. Unless the date range is just for the "spending by category" chart, which then I'd say is very confusing that the other charts don't use the same time period. And one more thing; when you double click the "net income" chart, you'd expect to see a list of spending and income for the period so you could see the "net income". Instead you get the spending and income separately (and the "transactions" list also does not default to the current time period). You can go back and forth, but it does not tell you much that way. Again, the home page needs real work to be useful at all.

That's it for my initial thoughts on 5.12. Thanks for keeping at it.
  • RickO
    smayer97 said:
    First, not sure if all the functionality of the old reports is reproduced in the new; certainly most but I vaguely seem to recall some (maybe minor) things still are not...but just be sure. 
    Do also keep in mind that when you do sunset the old reports that some users may have saved these old formats, so they will need to be transitioned over somehow.
    For the Category Summary, the only real difference is that the CS report subtotals at the tag level below the category. The new Transaction Report doesn't do that. But I don't think it's important. If you are trying to get at tag data, there are better ways to do that with the new reports.

For Category Summary, there is only one instance retained by the program. So it's not like the user has to recreate a bunch of different instances. My suggestion is to have a popup window on first launch after CS is removed explaining how to create the equivalent with new reports. Also, perhaps have the program automatically create a new transaction report customized equivalently to the retired CS report. And/or retain the prior CS report in a read-only/locked state for a version or two.

BTW, I think all of the above applies equally to the Payee Summary report. It does not apply to other legacy reports such as Net Worth Over Time, Tax Summary, etc which have no equivalent (yet) in the New Reports.
  • RickO
    glennmacc said:

As for scheduled transactions, I'd still like to see a list of all scheduled transactions in one place, again, like in QM2007 (unless I'm missing this somewhere). 
    I think what you're looking for can be found at Bills & Income > Projected Balances.
  • glennmacc
    glennmacc Member ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, yes that is pretty much it. Not an intuitive place to find it though. I never even looked there because I'm not really interested in the Projected Balances, I don't find them terribly useful. But now, I guess I'll use them. I minimized the graph and now it is just a list of Scheduled Transactions. Now I hope I can just remember that "projected balances" means "scheduled transactions".
  • jacobs
    RickO said:
    For Category Summary, there is only one instance retained by the program. So it's not like the user has to recreate a bunch of different instances. 
    Rick, that's not correct. In Category Summary > Customize, you can check "Save as custom report" and save as many variations on Category Summary as you want, such as different dates ranges or accounts. (To make user confusion about reports worse, once you name an old report, it appears in the top section of the Reports menu, like all the new reports; there's no indication which are old and which are new, other than by knowing what to look for in the user interface.)

I believe the most pressing issue is getting rid of the old Category Summary report a.s.a.p. I think it should be possible to do that programmatically; that is, I think the settings for all old Category Summary reports can easily be translated into settings for a new Transaction or Summary report. So a program update could change those reports, eliminate Category summary from the menu, and pop up an alert to tell users that some old reports might look a little different because they have been migrated to the newer, better reports engine.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    glennmacc said:
    I am a long-time user of QM (since 1999). I have only recently (2 weeks ago) purchased and started using QM2019 (though I understand not officially called that). I had been hesitant because of the approximately 75 reports I had in QM2007 and because of the reputation that QM2019 did not have the features that I felt I would need for it to be useful, especially when it comes to investing. I have now been using QM2019 for a long enough time to evaluate it fairly I think. My reactions to 5.11 are elsewhere in this forum, but here I'd like to focus on the changes in 5.12. So here is my take on 5.12:

One thing that doesn't seem too complicated to implement would make the new reports better really quickly (this was in QM2007) is custom dates. That is, making custom date ranges that "stick" would help to make comparisons/analysis easier. The current "comparison" limits you to two time periods, but if I want to compare say 10 years of data, this cannot be done. I know you can use the "summary report" and specify long periods of time, but the ability to choose your dates and have them retained as "custom range" would be much better.

Related to Investments, the budget also has some good news and bad. It seems that Reinvested Dividends income can now be added to Budgets, but for some reason, Reinvested Capital Gains income cannot (this seems to be because the category automatically assigned to Reinvested Dividends is "Dividend Income" which is available in budgets, but the category assigned automatically to Reinvested Capital gains is "reinvest capital gains" which is not available in budgets [instead of "Long Term Capital Gains" or "Short Term Capital Gains", which can be included in the budget]). Again, this seems like it should be easy to fix.

A couple of other items I'd like to see addressed in upcoming updates include having a "previously reconciled" list for accounts (similar to QM2007) so that you can see where any reconciliation errors occur (after you reconcile, sometimes things are changed, added, or deleted and that can create reconciliation errors. With a "previous reconciliation" list, you can see where those errors have been introduced). This is a better solution than just adding an adjustment or using "live balance adjustment" which seems to be the goto answer right now.

As for scheduled transactions, I'd still like to see a list of all scheduled transactions in one place, again, like in QM2007 (unless I'm missing this somewhere). On the home page, if you could list all transactions for the next year, that would help, but it is not a very good solution. In bills and income, you can see the "bills" (not a very professional term) for the next year, but the ability to edit them is kinda hidden in the three dots. This should be made clearer I think.

For each of the above, you can add your VOTE to 
    First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a few seconds for your vote to register).

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 

Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

Your VOTES matter!

CIORRECTION: These have been implemented.

• jacobs
    Gilles99 said:
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > As part of our typical process for a major release, I've paused the rollout of v5.12 for now so we can evaluate how it's going for customers.  If you run into any issues with v5.12, please comment here in this forum article.

You might have stop the automatic update process, but Macupdate.com has posted version 5.12....
    FYI
    I doubt Macupdate has the code for the program; if you buy a retail copy of Quicken, the actual program typically downloads from a Quicken server. So if the release of 5.12 is paused, someone who buys Quicken right now would get 5.11 as their download. (But even if Macupdate captures the and downloads the program on their own, it's really not a problem. The staged rollout of new updates is Quicken's standard operating procedure to prevent everyone from upgrading all at once in case a significant bug pops up as people start using it, so even if a few more people get it while Quicken has paused pushing out the update, nothing bad will happen.)
  • Gilles99
    Gilles99 Member ✭✭
    I know it is standard for Quicken to do staged releases
    and normally it is updated through the app ( and that is how I update )

But I did download from Macupdate, got 5.12...moved it to my Application folder, replacing the older one
    and now I run 5.12

I am a long time user, so I did not buy, I just downloaded

(This is why I mentioned it here, as Marcus has posted he stopped the release to more users)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    jacobs said:
    Gilles99 said:
    > @Quicken Marcus said:

FYI
    I doubt Macupdate has the code for the program; if you buy a retail copy of Quicken, the actual program typically downloads from a Quicken server. So if the release of 5.12 is paused, someone who buys Quicken right now would get 5.11 as their download. (But even if Macupdate captures the and downloads the program on their own, it's really not a problem. The staged rollout of new updates is Quicken's standard operating procedure to prevent everyone from upgrading all at once in case a significant bug pops up as people start using it, so even if a few more people get it while Quicken has paused pushing out the update, nothing bad will happen.)
    It's the full and latest version (5.12)!

This discussion has been closed.