Add ability to save and re-use customized date ranges (6 Legacy Votes, 24 Merged Votes)

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 1:11PM in Reports

Please add the ability to create and name date ranges for re-use like in QM2007. These should be available for reports.

Note that this has additional related features:

• to store and name customized date ranges
  • to intelligently and dynamically adjust the date ranges when these customized ranges are used (These can be set with fixed dates or dynamically adjusting dates.)
  • that can also be saved with reports

-----------------Be sure to click the little triangle under the VOTE count in the yellow banner below, so your vote will count for THIS feature (it may take a moment for your vote to register). (If the triangle is light grey, your vote has already been counted.)

Your VOTES matter!

This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests for Report Related FeaturesYou may want to click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to other related IDEAS.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Tagged:
33 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

QMAC-16585

Comments

• ericg
    ericg Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    When specifying a date range for a report, I would like the option to specify a custom, dynamic date range of Start of Year - End of Last Month or, more generally, Start of Year - End of # Months ago. This was a favorite feature of mine from Quicken 2007 and I have sorely missed it in the Quicken 2017 and Quicken 2018.

One other way to supply the functionality I want would be to extend the AppleScript Dictionary to allow me to specify the date range of a report. My script could then do the appropriate calculation and set the end date.
    -----------------
    Be sure to click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count in the blue banner below, so your vote will count for THIS feature (it may take a moment for your vote to register).
    (If the triangle is black, your vote has already been counted.)

Your VOTES matter!

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the suggestion.

You might want to review this compilation of QMac report related suggestions to see if there are other report improvements you would like to see implemented:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ericg
    ericg Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Would like additional date range options when creating a report.

With the release of Quicken 2019, I wanted to bring up this feature request of mine again...

When specifying a date range for a report, I would like the option to specify a custom, dynamic date range of Start of Year - End of Last Month or, more generally, Start of Year - End of # Months ago. This was a favorite feature of mine from Quicken 2007 and I have sorely missed it in the Quicken 2017, Quicken 2018, and Quicken 2019.

One other way to supply the functionality I want would be to extend the AppleScript Dictionary to allow me to specify the date range of a report. My script could then do the appropriate calculation and set the end date.
  • Malcom Allen
    Malcom Allen Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    How do I suggest a "Next" Month/Quarter/Year time-frame pick-sets be added to go with "This" & "Last" M/Q/Y. Would anybody else find this useful? I'm frequently wishing I could see/search in the FUTURE (planned) transactions without having to do a special date selection.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2019
    @Malcom Allen There are a few ways to see future-scheduled transactions, and I would guess that most users have found these sufficient.

You may already know this, but just to review: (1) In each register, when you click Settings in the bottom toolbar, you can specify how to show future transactions, from not at all to the next one to all within the next 30, 90, 180, or 365 days. You have to change this setting register by register. (2) To see all your future transactions in one place, click on the Bills & Income tab of the main blue menu bar. The Bills tab shows all the Payees with schedule transactions in the timeframe you select; the Projected Balances shows all the instances of all scheduled transactions.

I'd guess that most people don't have enough scheduled transactions that they want to use Reports for them, as you're requesting here. While scheduled transactions do look forward, they're typically a very incomplete look at forward income or spending. Nonetheless, I can see why you might want such a report.

Your post has been moved to the Product Ideas-Mac category, so people can vote on it. In the blue box beneath your original post abiove, there is a vote counter; click the little gray arrow under the counter to register your vote for this idea.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ericg
    ericg Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to be able to save a report with the date option "year to end of last month". I used to be able to do this with Quicken 2007. I would like the option back. The current "Year to Date" option is useless for me.

Manually adjusting the date constantly is annoying.
  • TeeQue
    TeeQue Member ✭✭
    i agree with this request. I budget my expenses by pay periods and have set each bill to be paid on the 2nd or 15th. It would be great to have this feature to have only all that monthly memories transactions to show up in the grey. This is a beneficial enhancement for those who use the memorized and scheduled transaction process. I do and want this feature and maybe others too.
  • ericg
    ericg Member ✭✭✭✭
    In an ancient version of Quicken, I used to be able to specify a dynamic date range of "Year to End of Last Month". This means that if it was June 20th, 2021 the report would be from 1/1/2021 to 5/31/2021. I would like to see this feature come back so I no longer am required to adjust the end date manually every time. 
  • schlotz
    schlotz Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023

Allow dynamic dates (like "Today") for saved custom date ranges in reports

Every time I look at my saved net worth report that uses a custom date range, I have to change the "To" date to "Todays date". I want "today" to ALWAYS be the "To" date so that I don't have to change it every month.

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @schlotz

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to share your feedback.   have gone ahead and changed this post to an Idea post so that others may vote on adding this feature to Quicken. Be sure to add your vote. Once an idea has gained enough traction it will be reviewed by our development team for possible implementation.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • schlotz
    schlotz Member ✭✭
    Thanks Tyka
  • jacobs
    I misunderstood from the title of this topic, but I entirely agree. The request is to have "relative" or "dynamic" date options, in addition to static dates, in custom date ranges. "Today" and "Yesterday" are dynamic dates. Other options might include "Beginning/End of This month", "Beginning/End of Last Month", "Beginning/End of Last Quarter", "Beginning/End of Last Year". Yes, yes, yes!

This issue goes beyond the Net Worth report, although that is a perfect example of the need for dynamic dates; if the Quicken developers implement this change, the dynamic dates choices should be everywhere custom dates can currently be entered: all reports (important) and registers (less important, but for consistency). (I suspect the same code for custom date range entry is used in all these locations, so it might be only one change to implement this throughout the program.)

@Quicken_Tyka  I'd note that there are several existing Idea threads asking for basically the same thing, although users have used slightly different terminology or scope in asking for the same thing. I don't know if these can be neatly merged without making a mess of these threads, but when you put them together, there's a lot more interest in this functionality than any one thread indicates:

Would like additional date range options when creating a report   (currently 10 votes)

New Date Range Option: Year to End of Last Month   (currently 3 votes)

Add ability to save and re-use customized date ranges   (currently 14 votes)
  • jacobs
    edited May 2021
    This request has two parts. The first is to have "relative" or "dynamic" date options, in addition to static dates, in custom date ranges. "Today" and "Yesterday" are dynamic dates. Other options might include "Beginning/End of This month", "Beginning/End of Last Month", "Beginning/End of Last Quarter", "Beginning/End of Last Year".

Additionally, this asks for the ability to save a particular date range, static or dynamic, to use anywhere dates ranges are used. For example, if I frequently needed to revisit certain reports for different prior years, I might want to specify 1/1/2019-12/31/2019 and name it "2019" and 1/1/2018-12/31/2018 and name it "2018", so I could use those named date ranges instead of needing to manually enter the dates each time. Another option might mix a status and dynamic date, such as 1/1/2020-today, which I could save as "Since 1/1/20". 

To both of these feature requests, I say yes, yes, Yes! I do a lot more of typing in date ranges in current Quicken Mac than I used to in Quicken 2007, because these features are missing.

Fellow Quicken Mac users, if this functionality is of interest to you, then please scroll to the top of this page and click the little arrow in the yellow box to add your vote.

@Quicken Anja  I'd note that there are several existing Idea threads asking for basically the same thing, or one of these two things (dynamic dates and/or saved customer date ranges), although users have used slightly different terminology or scope in asking for the same thing. These probably can't be neatly merged without making a mess of these threads, but when you put them together, there's more interest in this functionality than any one thread indicates:

Would like additional date range options when creating a report   (currently 10 votes)

New Date Range Option: Year to End of Last Month   (currently 3 votes)

and this thread:
    Add ability to save and re-use customized date ranges   (currently 14 votes)
    [Moderator Note (5/25/21, the three threads referenced above have been merged together. QS]
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Yup ... more date range features are VERY MUCH NEEDED! Especially creating customized date ranges that can also be saved with reports.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gauge the current interest? Re-using reports, comparing periods, etc.

Is this REALLY a question that needs to be asked? Is it not obvious the significant benefit this affords?

I have dozens of customized date ranges that I re-use ALL THE TIME in QM2007. A real pain without this.

• jacobs
    smayer97 said:
    Gauge the current interest? Re-using reports, comparing periods, etc.  Is this REALLY a question that needs to be asked? Is it not obvious the significant benefit this affords?
    @smayer97 Yes, I agree that this is something I'd like to see. But the problem here is that there are only 14 votes total for this idea request after two years.

Many, probably most, Idea requests on this forum are worthwhile, but they have to prioritize which ones get attention now, in the near future, and further down the line. When the moderators post these "gauging current interest" questions, they are actually helping to surface these old threads to the top of people's screens and u people to vote for them. Some ideas get more votes and get pushed higher up the list, while others get few/no votes and sink back down the list. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.... I had NO IDEA!

BTW, that process assumes so much about how people use this forum.

• jacobs
    smayer97 said:
    Thanks.... I had NO IDEA!
    I don't want to make unwarranted assumptions; you're being sarcastic here, right?

You were expressing incredulity that they were asking to gauge interest on existing idea threads which seems to need no further explanation. I was only explaining that I have learned the moderators do these types of "gauging interest" posts to bring dormant Idea threads to the top of the Recent Discussions list, which a lot of people on this site are more likely to see, to see if they can attract more comments and/or votes.

And yes, there are issues with this forum. Clearly, looking at posts of Idea topics posted over time, the voting mechanism here attracts far fewer votes than previous platforms Quicken has used for this community. (The old big Vote button at the top of the page was a lot more obvious than scrolling to find a colored box under the first post and clicking on a tiny arrow to register a vote.) A topic here with 30 votes can be a high-enough vote getter to get the idea put in front of the developers -- just 30 users out of many thousands. But, of course, the developers don't just base their decisions on the votes and comments on this forum. There are Facebook and multiple Twitter accounts, all the interactions their Care representatives have for phone and chat support, feedback from beta testers, responses to surveys of users, as well as ideas the development and product management people have themselves -- all of which go into the pot for consideration about what projects to put on their development roadmap. 

As I know you're aware, there are hundreds of feature and functionality requests users have asked the development team to tackle, and they can only address a handful of them every few months of work -- so they use this forum (and the other sources of customer interaction) not just for the raw ideas, but to develop a heat map to differentiate which features are most in demand and which would have an impact on the largest number of people. So while this platform is far from perfect, it's what they've have got, and it's a matter of trying to get the most input they can to guide development decisions.
  • Nathan E
    Nathan E Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023

Add more options to Register Date Filter such as "Next Month"

I like to manage my balance by looking at the predicted ending balance of the next month based on scheduled transactions. Can "Next Month" be added as an option? Or "Next N Months"? I can get what I want with a Custom Date but Quicken doesn't seem to remember my custom setting consistently.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

This idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of user votes/comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• schlotz
    schlotz Member ✭✭
    After all this time and all of the excellent updates done to Quicken, this is STILL not there and is so simple. PLEASE let the end date on a custom date range be today so that it doesn't have to be changed each time the report is done.
  • jacobs
    @schlotz You may be aware of this, but dynamic dates do exist to some extent. For a Net Worth report, which is what you originally posted about, if you specify "Year To Date" for the date range, you will always get a Net Worth report for "today" without needing to modify the date range. (For a Net Worth report, the beginning date isn't used; it's only the ending date which matters.) So doesn't that address what you asked for originally?

Similarly, if you do an income/expense report (e.g. transaction or summary report by category), the Year to Date date setting is dynamic; it will always be through "today" without the need to change the date.

However, where Quicken report dates fall short is if you want a custom date range such as July 1, 2021 through today, where "today" is dynamic for whenever you run the report; there's no way to do that. Is that what you're asking for? If so, I suggest we re-title this Idea post to make it about dynamic dates and not about a Net Worth report. (I can edit the title of the thread, but wanted to ask you first to make sure it reflects your feature request accurately.)

• schlotz
    schlotz Member ✭✭
    Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of those other dynamic dates, but what I want is the last thing you mentioned - a custom date starting a few years back through today. Sure, feel free to retitle - it can't hurt since nothing has happened so far.
  • jacobs
    @schlotz I've updated the title of the thread; perhaps it will garner more votes of support now. ;)

I agree it would be useful to be able to specify dynamic or variable dates in date fields. Variables such as Today, Yesterday, End of last month, End of Last Quarter, End of Last Year, etc. would make it possible to create saved reports (and register filters) which don't need to be constantly edited as days/months/years pass.  

There is a different Idea post here which aims for the same flexibility, but it is focused on being able to create, save and name custom date ranges, as was possible in the legacy Quicken 2007. So although these two Ideas have some overlap and are related, they aren't necessarily the same and shouldn't be combined. 
  • schlotz
    schlotz Member ✭✭
    Very good. Thanks again.
  • ericg
    ericg Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see this feature return to Quicken. It used to be possible in the now ancient Quicken 2008 version. 99% of the time, I want my reports from the start of the year to the end of last month. For example, if it was June 18th, 2022, I would want a report from January 1st, 2022 - May 31st, 2022. 

The reason behind this is that I only want the report to include information that has been reconciled. I only reconcile once a month.

I like the idea behind the new easy answer reports. This trivial feature addition that would make them useful to me.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

This idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of user votes/comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ericg
    ericg Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

New Date Range -- Year To End-Of-Last-Month

This was a feature in an ancient (now) version of Quicken for MacOS and I would like to see it return. I have been missing it for around a decade now.

When creating a report, I can select the Date Range "Year To Date" which will include all of the transactions for the current year to the current date. However, I would like to only include transaction to the end of last month.

Why? Because all of those transition have been reconciled, etc. and nothing will be changing.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @ericg,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs

Currently, you can do what you want with two keystrokes. In any date field, type "M", which will enter the first day of the current month, followed by "-", which will subtract one day. So pressing "M-" in a date field will give you the last day of the prior month. Perhaps not quite as nice as a single command, but almost as good! 😀