Add Ability to Set Default Columns, Sort and Sizes to Registers (125 Legacy/Merged Votes) (Q Mac)

2»

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2019
    @HansT This is a longstanding request of Quicken users. Your original post has been merged with this original Idea thread; this thread has more than 130 user votes (123 "legacy" from the old forum plus 7 since the switch to this forum). Be sure toy cast your vote by going up to the beginning of this thread and finding the blue box after the originating post; click on the little gray arrow to cast your vote for this functionality. 

You might also want to vote for this Idea topic which is more recent and similar, but asks specifically for specifying columns widths numerically so they can be made to match between accounts. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • pwjuhnke
    pwjuhnke Member
    edited December 2019
    merged from "Add feature to Quicken for Mac: "Make all 1-line Savings/Checking/Credit registers like this""

Love the feature described above in Quicken for Windows, under Register Column Settings / More Options. Migrated to a new MacBook Pro, and can't find the same tool in Quicken Deluxe for Mac. The tool: "Columns / Reset to Default" is in Mac, but not "Make all registers like this". That's a very handy tool, please add it to Quicken for Mac when you can! Thanks!

• mybank2002
    mybank2002 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

Yes exactly >

@Scott Flory

said:
    > I would second the need to share column widths/selections across registers.  Seems like I should have the option to have a default for each "group" of registers.
    >
    > I would suggest adding a options to the column popup menu to * "save as default" 
    > * "save as default for Banking" (or whatever the main grouping is for this account)
    > * "save as default for Savings" (or whatever the sub-grouping is for this account)
    > * "reset to default for Banking"
    > * "reset to default for Savings"
    >
    > OR, another approach:* "save as template" - which then asks for a name
    > * "load template" - which then provides a list to choose from
    > * the templates would store column choice and widths

I completely second what you said and was just getting on to request saving templates. I have 12 cash accounts and 40 savings accounts and changing the column widths and what shows and hides in all of the accounts is crazy!

In Quicken for Windows, I regularly chose the option to match all similar accounts (savings, or cash) to the current view and it would tell me 39 other accounts changed. I have to change what order and what view I have or I find a better way for the time being. To change all of those is a monumental task in Quicken for Mac currently! I am pleased about many other things I have found with Quicken for Mac and have been hoping to make the jump for about 15 years now.

[Merged Post]

• jacobs
    edited August 2023

@mybank2002

Your request is more related to this feature request. I suggest going to the blue voting block and clicking on the little gray triangle under the vote counter.

[Merged Post]

• mybank2002
    mybank2002 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

Thanks, I had already voted for this. Thanks for keeping things in line. I really hope they add this wonderful feature. I went through all the accounts and updated them but I see myself wanting to change things when I am on my laptop vs the desktop or just for a different thing I am trying to accomplish at the time.

[Merged Post]

• mybank2002
    mybank2002 Member ✭✭✭✭
    This will be wonderful if this feature is added!
  • MrMoo
    MrMoo Member ✭✭
    I recently switched back to Quicken for Mac after trying to adapt to Quicken for Windows. Although there were many things I liked about the Windows implementation, overall is was way too inflexible and felt like a really old, stubborn UI design that I had to fight with all the time. One of the things I DID like about the Windows version was the ability to apply custom column settings across accounts. This doesn't seem to be something that the Mac version can do and I found it really helpful.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited August 2023

Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available 

here

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

[Merged Post]

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• JRMcG
    JRMcG Member
    These simple standards have been needed for more than a DECADE. I, too, have been using Quicken for more than thirty years. I suspect that "30 years" exceeds the ages of the current programers. ;) Being able to move between registers without having to reformat EACH one, EACH time is not a huge ask. Being able to renter a register at the point of last use is not a big ask.
  • jacobs
    @JRMcG It would help if you could elaborate on what specific issues you're wanting Quicken to do. You wrote:

JRMcG said:
    These simple standards have been needed for more than a DECADE.
    I wanted to first make sure you're referring to Quicken Mac here. The modern version of Quicken Mac has only existed for the past 8 years, so I just wanted to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

JRMcG said:
    Being able to move between registers without having to reformat EACH one, EACH time is not a huge ask.
    I'm confused. If you change the formatting of a register — adding or removing columns, change the order of the columns, changing the width of the columns — those changes are retained the next time you visit the register, the next time you run Quicken. They're permanent unless you change them again. So what are you meaning about needing to reformat registers each time you visit it?

Further, the original request of this Idea post was partially implemented a while back. The developers found it difficult or impossible to apply formatting changes to all registers, because there are differences between different types of accounts. But they did add the functionality to format all registers of a certain type (e.g. checking, credit card, brokerage, etc) to contain the same columns. When you click the Columns icon n the bottom menu bar, there is an option near the bottom to "Apply to All [type] Accounts". This doesn't match he registers exactly in column order and width, but it does at least make the same columns visible in all the other registers of the same type. 

It would be nice if they went further and made the "Apply to All…" command also match the order and column width in all the fields of the same type. I suspect that since adjusting columns in registers is something that most people generally do once or only occasionally and then leave alone, the developers have decided to focus on some of the many other feature requests for Quicken Mac as higher priorities. 
  • rkanes
    rkanes Member ✭✭
    I fully understand that "the developers found it difficult or impossible to apply formatting changes to all registers, because there are differences between different types of accounts". And I am more than satisfied to have this feature apply to individual account "types" only, since most folks may only have a few types they work with. However, if you have many registers of the same type, it is simply not enough for this feature to only preserve column visibility. It is beyond tedious to try and go through half a dozen registers of the same account type, just to try and match their column order and widths. Like many programs that allow you to save default views, this feature should allow you to capture visibility, order, and width. And for any one who routinely moves between different monitors & screen sizes, having a default for each work situation is key.
  • tracylgetz
    tracylgetz Unconfirmed, Member
    edited August 2023

It is very annoying to have to resize the columns every time you open a register in order to see the full text. I have found that it seems to work if you resize the columns and then perform a "copy or backup file" from the file menu. When you return to that same register, the columns are as you saved them. Still can't figure out how to make it global for all registers, other than doing them one by one and completing the backup. I will see how long this works though. Hoping tomorrow it doesn't revert to the settings that don't allow you to even view a transaction, yet the "memo" field is huge and takes up most of the register

[Merged Post]

• jacobs
    edited August 2023

@tracylgetz Are you using Quicken Mac or Quicken Windows? This thread is about Quicken Mac, but you post sounds like your referring to Quicken Windows.

[Edited - Removed Personal Information]

[Merged Post]

• majorgear
    majorgear Member ✭✭

I'm surprised that this hasn't been done yet. I find it pretty tedious to have to edit columns for each account every time I review transactions and add notes ( memos ). This has my vote!

• jacobs

@majorgear said: I find it pretty tedious to have to edit columns for each account every time I review transactions and add notes (memos).

You should only have to do this the first time you use an account register; the column settings should then stick forever. So only when adding new accounts is this an issue.

• cf77
    cf77 Member ✭✭

This was already added a while back but it is a bit hidden. Right click on the header row and you'll see an option to "Apply to All (account type) Accounts". Works for all accounts in one account type (Checking, Savings, Credit Card, etc). You'll have to setup the columns once for each type of accounts, but generally that is a good thing. For example, I dont want to see Check # on my credit card accounts.

• jacobs

Right click on the header row and you'll see an option to "Apply to All (account type) Accounts". Works for all accounts in one account type (Checking, Savings, Credit Card, etc). 

It should be noted, though, that "Apply to All [type] Accounts" makes all the same columns visible in the other like account registers, but it does not put them in the same order, nor assign them the same widths, of the original register. This makes the feature much less useful that it could be. Hopefully, someday the developers will build this additional functionality.

• adsoft2015
    adsoft2015 Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2023

I have a particular way that I like to arrange the columns in my account registers. I find that whenever I create a new account, I need to rearrange the columns each time. I would like a feature to be able to set the global column attributes (ideally by account type: investments, cash, credit card, etc.) so that I can set these one and have them apply to all existing and new accounts.

Quicken user since 1992... Version 1!
  • majorgear
    majorgear Member ✭✭

It doesn't apply to all accounts types though, only the ones in the same category. so it's not the same as the requested feature.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited August 2023

Hello @adsoft2015,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭

@Quicken Anja, thank you for merging but, that said, is there any update that you can share on this request! I was one of the the original beta testers and note that this features has been a long standing request by many users for an extended period of time.

Thank you!