Lifetime Planner Bug and Idea List - Make Yourself Heard!
Lifetime Planner (LTP) seems to be a well-neglected feature in Quicken - for years - not maintained, not improved, not modernized. I’m not quite sure why so little attention is paid to such an important tool. So many development cycles expended on seemingly “rearranging the deck chairs”, misunderstood or misinterpreted market demands, not to mention fixing the newly created bugs at the expense of improving important features like LTP.
In Quicken today, so much effort is expended on spending and investment management features, and rightfully so. The third leg of this stool, however, is retirement planning via Lifetime Planner. “How are my spending and investment performances, coupled with important economic and life factors such as taxation, longevity, and inflation, impact my plan and show my readiness for retirement”? Not an easy question to answer, but LTP ties this all together.
I took the time to compile as many Lifetime Planner bug and idea posts as I could find that had a reasonable amount of discussion and detail. I’m sure I didn’t get everything that has been contributed over the last several years. And shockingly, some of these issues do impact plan results and have stayed broken for years.
Please have a look at the categories and links, below. Like them, vote on them, add to them and make them better. Feel free to use this thread to add your own ideas and bugs. As you know and expect, if you include very few details and are vague as to the problem and its solution – how big, how broken, how widespread, how it helps, et al – Quicken will not likely take note...Illustrations are always helpful. You may know your pet issue well, but make it easier for the person who will read and potentially act on it, to understand it easily.
The time is well overdue to have a concerted effort to fix bugs, ensure future maintenance releases as tax law changes, and make small improvements toward an overall modern and integrated planner. There are a lot of retirement planning tools that are as good or better than Lifetime Planner. Oftentimes, when looking at online reviews from mainstream financial sites, Quicken is not even mentioned as a viable retirement solution.
A change is needed in this area of Quicken. Please vote and contribute.
Make your voice heard!
2018 QW HBR r7.5
LIFETIME PLANNER IDEA AND BUG LIST
INCOME AND INVESTMENT IMPROVEMENTS - updated 07.11.2023
- IDEA: Add Stock Option Vesting Schedules - added 07.11.2023
- IDEA: Add a Pension Lump-Sum Distribution Option - added 02.09.2022
RATE OF RETURN MODELLING IMPROVEMENTS - updated 06.05.23
- IDEA: Set Return Based on Investment Portfolio Asset Classes - added 06.05.23
- IDEA: Set Return by Account - added 05.03.22
MODERNIZATION - updated 04.21.2023
- IDEA: Add High-end Retirement Planner Premium Subscription - added 04.21.23
- IDEA: Improve How NEW USERS Get Started Using LTP - added 11.16.2022
- IDEA: Add Lifetime Planner Card to New Homepage Dashboard - added 12.07.21
- IDEA: Change Account Order of Withdrawal Sequence - added 10.29.21
- IDEA: Add Monte Carlo Simulation Option
EXPENSE MODELLING IMPROVEMENTS - updated 04.12.23
- IDEA: Fix Surplus Cash Model & Improve Reporting - added 04.12.23
- IDEA: Add "Exclude This Tag" To Living Expense Feature - added 05.12.22
SOCIAL SECURITY MODELLING IMPROVEMENTS - updated 12.25.21
- IDEA: Spouse Social Security Assumption Does Not Change - added 12.25.21
- IDEA: Automate and Optimize Social Security Filing Dates in LTP - added 11.21.21
- IDEA: Update Social Security Retirement Earnings Test Thresholds - added 11.17.21
TAX MODELLING IMPROVEMENTS - updated 11.16.21
- IDEA: Modify Tax Model on Social Security Benefit Income - added 11.16.21
- IDEA: Add a Comprehensive Tax Model as a User-Selected Option - added 11.10.21
- IDEA: Salary Tax to Consider 401k or IRA Deductible Contributions - added 09.26.21
TAX DEFERRED ACCOUNT (IRA and 401K) IMPROVEMENTS - updated 10.26.21
- IDEA: Improve Account Assign for Special, College, Home Expenses - added 10.26.21
- IDEA: Fix IRA & 401K Owner Change From Account Setup to LTP - added 09.10.21
- IDEA: Improve How IRA and 401K Accounts are Modelled in LTP - added 09.09.21
- IDEA: Update RMDs to 72 for Tax Deferred Accounts - Secure Act - added 09.06.21
TAX FREE ACCOUNT ( ROTH IRA and HSA ) IMPROVEMENTS - updated 11.18.2021
- IDEA: Add HSA Account Type as a Selectable Investment Account - added 11.18.2021
- IDEA: Add Roth Conversion Modeling in LTP - added 10.16.2021
- IDEA: Improve How ROTH IRAs are Displayed and Modelled in LTP - added 09.05.21
REPORT, PRINT AND EXPORT PLAN RESULTS - updated 01.04.22
- IDEA: Show All User Assumptions in Assumptions Window & Report - added 01.04.22
- IDEA: Enable Full Export of Plan Data - Create "Portfolio" DAT File - added 12.27.21
- IDEA: Add Participant Age(s) to Plan Summary Tables & Graphs - added 10.29.21
- IDEA: Add Plan Results Data Tables Under Plan Results Graph - added 09.03.21
CREATE, SAVE AND RESET MULTIPLE PLAN WHAT-IF SCENARIOS - updated 08.11.2022
- IDEA: Drill Down into Plan Summary Tables from What-if Scenario - added 08.11.22
- IDEA: Retain Plan History & Expense Basis of Past Plan Scenarios - added 11.06.21
DEBT REDUCTION PLAN NOT MODELLED CORRECTLY OR MISSING - updated 09.11.21
- IDEA: Debt Reduction Plan NOT Modelling Correctly - verified 09.11.21
SCALING ISSUES IN VARIOUS LTP DIALOGS WHEN USING LARGE FONTS - updated 09.11.21
- IDEA: Scaling Issues in Various Dialogs when Using Large Fonts - verified 09.11.21
HELP AND SUPPORT CONTENT IMPROVEMENT - added 10.27.21
EXPANSION TO OTHER QUICKEN PRODUCTS - Updated 11.04.21
- IDEA: Canada - Add Lifetime Planner to Quicken Canada Version - added 11.04.21
Other IDEAS and BUGS Yet to be Reviewed...
Social Security various calculation issues related to SS taxation, spouse planning assumptions and spouse survivorship benefits:
- BUG: Lifetime Planner - does not reflect spouse's Social Security estimate changes | Quicken Customer Community