Lifetime Planner Bug and Idea List - Make Yourself Heard!
Lifetime Planner (LTP) seems to be a well-neglected feature in Quicken - for years - not updated, not improved, not modernized. I’m not quite sure why so little attention is paid to such an important tool. So many development cycles expended on seemingly “rearranging the deck chairs”, misunderstood or misinterpreted market demands, not to mention fixing the newly created bugs at the expense of improving important features like LTP.
In Quicken today, so much effort is expended on spending and investment management features, and rightfully so. The third leg of this stool, however, is retirement planning via Lifetime Planner. “How are my spending and investment performances, coupled with important economic and life factors such as taxation, longevity, and inflation, impact my plan and show my readiness for retirement”? Not an easy question to answer, but LTP ties this all together.
I took the time to compile as many Lifetime Planner bug and idea posts as I could find that had a reasonable amount of discussion and detail. I’m sure I didn’t get everything that has been contributed over the last several years. And shockingly, some of these issues do impact plan results and have stayed broken for years.
Please have a look at the categories and links, below. Like them, vote on them, add to them and make them better. Feel free to use this thread to add your own ideas and bugs. As you know and expect, if you include very few details and are vague as to the problem and its solution – how big, how broken, how widespread, how it helps, et al – Quicken will not likely take note...Illustrations are always helpful. You may know your pet issue well, but make it easier for the person who will read and potentially act on it, to understand it easily.
The time is well overdue to have a concerted effort to fix bugs, ensure future maintenance releases as tax law changes, and make small improvements toward an overall modern and integrated planner. There are a lot of retirement planning tools that are as good or better than Lifetime Planner. Oftentimes, when looking at online reviews from mainstream financial sites, Quicken is not even mentioned as a viable retirement solution.
A change is needed in this area of Quicken. Please vote and contribute.
Make your voice heard!
2018 QW HBR r7.5
The Lifetime Planner bug and idea list:
Tax advantaged accounts (401k, IRA et al) contribution levels/limits are incorrect since circ. 2007 or 2008:
- BUG: is there a 10,500 tax-defered savings limit? Lifetime planner seems to revert to 10,500 even when I enter a higher figure. | Quicken Customer Community [Unavailable]
Social Security various calculation issues related to SS taxation, spouse planning assumptions and spouse survivorship benefits:
- BUG: Lifetime Planner - Social Security Reduction Assumption Incorrect | Quicken Customer Community
- BUG: Lifetime Planner - does not reflect spouse's Social Security estimate changes | Quicken Customer Community
- BUG: How do I get my spouse's Social Security income to calculate correctly in the Lifetime Planner? | Quicken Customer Community [Unavailable]
- BUG: Lifetime Planner - Social Security Estimates in What-if Tool are all $0 | Quicken Customer Community [Unavailable]
- BUG: Social Security after I die Premier 2016 Life Time Planner | Quicken Customer Community
Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) calculation issue with divisor that overstate the withdrawal – all links point to same general issue of RMD modeling going back 3+ years.
- BUG: Lifetime Planner RMD tables in Quicken 2017 | Quicken Customer Community
- BUG: 2015 lifetime planner RMD percentages wrong | Quicken Customer Community [Unavailable]
- BUG: Does anyone know how the Lifetime Planner calculates the RMD? | Quicken Customer Community [Unavailable]
- BUG: How does the Planning feature treat the Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) | Quicken Customer Community
DEBT REDUCTION PLAN NOT MODELED CORRECTLY in LIFETIME PLANNER:
Submitted to Quicken "Report a Problem" on 04.27.2020
- BUG: Lifetime Planner not modeling Debt Reduction Plan Correctly
- BUG: Lifetime Planner does not recognize Debt Reduction Plan
Expense Adjustments started and tied to a person after they die:
- BUG: Bug Report: Lifetime Planner | Quicken Customer Community [Unavailable]
Scaling issues related to text and labels in Assumptions and What-If dialog boxes, when using large fonts:
Reporting, Printing and Exporting Data
- BUG: Printing out the results of the lifetime planner | Quicken Customer Community
- IDEA: Printing out the results of the lifetime planner | Quicken Customer Community
- IDEA: How can I print each page of the Lifetime Planner with all data inserted? | Quicken Customer Community [Unavailable]
- IDEA: can you do a report from lifetime planner of all the years vs just the one | Quicken Customer Community [Unavailable]
- IDEA: How to export the Lifetime Planner's plan. | Quicken Customer Community
Reset of Lifetime Planner
(Start Over) and ability to save one or more planning scenarios:
- IDEA: Allow User Reset of Lifetime Planner Data and to Save Multiple "What If" Plan Scenarios
- IDEA: How to reset lifetime planner | Quicken Customer Community
- IDEA: Delete Existing Lifetime Planner | Quicken Customer Community
Adding Lifetime Planner to MAC
Modernization of Lifetime